[DOUJINSHI] Re-Take

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:13 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:And uhh....has there ever been any speculation among Eastern or Western fans that maybe somebody at Gainax or Khara (Anno himself would be awesome, although a part of me doubts it) read Re-Take? I mentioned this back when 2.0 first came out, but something about how the Bardiel battle played out/that battle's overall tone gave me strong Re-Take vibes. I don't necessarily mean in a shipper way either, just in general. It's hard to articulate but that's the way I felt. I still sort of do, I guess because Captain Shikinami's attitude towards Shinji post-battle can go in so many different directions once we get 3.0. Asuka can still have honest feelings for Shinji and not blame him. (Kind of like Re-Take Universe B Asuka.) She can have a blend of EoE or Re-Take bitterness with having complex love-hate feelings for Shinji (Re-Take Universe A/"ghost" Asuka) or even something completely different/unforeseen.

I feel so unoriginal, because the whole Shinji controlling AU's was one of my core ideas for Rebuild (Yes I subscribe to the sequel theories). I guess it's true, no thought is original, not even when it comes to something thats only 14 years old.

though the mention of Yui no longer around is never clearly explained -- Ritsuko only said some other soul now lives in Eva-01.

I don't remember this part. How far into the story is it, if you recall? I stopped after the first issue of "All Ages" due to time restraints, which ends when Shinji goes out to battle the MPE's. Is it after that?

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:33 pm

View Original PostCJD wrote:I don't remember this part. How far into the story is it, if you recall? I stopped after the first issue of "All Ages" due to time restraints, which ends when Shinji goes out to battle the MPE's. Is it after that?

After. In fact it was when Gendou met his end and had a last conversation with Ritsuko.

This is an ending that I also love -- it gave the humanity back to Gendou and also put a bittersweet conclusion to the relationship between Gendou and Ritsuko. If EoE is the Bad End, then this may have been the True End. (hard to call it a Good End)
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:51 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:After. In fact it was when Gendou met his end and had a last conversation with Ritsuko.

This is an ending that I also love -- it gave the humanity back to Gendou and also put a bittersweet conclusion to the relationship between Gendou and Ritsuko. If EoE is the Bad End, then this may have been the True End. (hard to call it a Good End)

I dunno, I think the humanity was given back to Gendo pretty nicely in EoE. I mean, he'll never redeem himself for being the B*d that he was, but it seems he had no ill intent in the way he treated Shinji. He was just an older version of Shinji, like father like son. I'd really consider him more of a tragic character than a villain.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:21 pm

View Original PostCJD wrote:I dunno, I think the humanity was given back to Gendo pretty nicely in EoE. I mean, he'll never redeem himself for being the B*d that he was, but it seems he had no ill intent in the way he treated Shinji. He was just an older version of Shinji, like father like son. I'd really consider him more of a tragic character than a villain.

Well, don't get me wrong. I am not saying he is a villain. He is truly a tragic character in EoE but he stays as a callous character up till the end. He had to shoot Ritsuko and if he had truly loved Ritsuko he did not make it convincing enough for Ritsuko (and what he said was ambiguous in EoE). And he still wanted to start Instrumentality and did not think about Shinji at all till the end. So I am not sure where in EoE you think humanity was given back nicely to Gendou? The only moment that is close was his brief "Sorry" just before he got eaten by Eva -- a bit of redemption for him but I won't call it as humanity given back nicely back to Gendou.

I mean, in Re-Take I could see the warm human heart truly made a comeback to Gendou. He risked his life (and ended up giving it) for the sake of his son. He had really sincere last conversation with Ritsuko (while in EoE it was filled with miscommunication and mistrust) and quite clearly confessed to Ritsuko about his love towards her. I found that scene to be really touching.
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:49 am

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Well, don't get me wrong. I am not saying he is a villain. He is truly a tragic character in EoE but he stays as a callous character up till the end. He had to shoot Ritsuko and if he had truly loved Ritsuko he did not make it convincing enough for Ritsuko (and what he said was ambiguous in EoE). And he still wanted to start Instrumentality and did not think about Shinji at all till the end. So I am not sure where in EoE you think humanity was given back nicely to Gendou? The only moment that is close was his brief "Sorry" just before he got eaten by Eva -- a bit of redemption for him but I won't call it as humanity given back nicely back to Gendou.

I mean, in Re-Take I could see the warm human heart truly made a comeback to Gendou. He risked his life (and ended up giving it) for the sake of his son. He had really sincere last conversation with Ritsuko (while in EoE it was filled with miscommunication and mistrust) and quite clearly confessed to Ritsuko about his love towards her. I found that scene to be really touching.

Well, to me, the explanation of his motives is his humanity. We see him, for the first time, for the extremely flawed person that he is. But, I agree, in Re-take he definitely gets a more thorough redemption.

Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby 1731298478 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:40 pm

Hiroki Azuma talks about receiving Re-Take as a birthday present. It reminds me a bit of symbv's story ^^ (Azuma is a big Asuka fan...)

http://d.hatena.ne.jp/hazuma/20090511/1242018681

Well, some parts I'm not sure how to render, but I can do enough to give a sense of it.

さて、それはそれとして、その前日にはぼくの誕生日祝いが開かれていました。それで、その場でゼロアカ生の坂上くんより、スタジオkimigabuchiのエヴァンゲリオン二次創作同人誌「RETAKE」全6巻をプレゼントとして譲り受けたわけです。「最近東さんのエヴァ熱が低いので、これを読んでぜひ復活してください」とのことで、実際ぼくは、アスカの名前が変わっているとかメガネっ娘が出るとかマジどうでもいいよ、といささか冷淡な空気で新劇場版を迎えようとしていたわけですが……。

Well, having said that, yesterday my birthday celebration was held. I received the complete six volumes of kimigabuchi's Evangelion dojinshi "RETAKE" as a present from Zeroaka member Sakagami-kun, who said, "Azuma-san's passion for Eva has dwindled recently, so please read this and revive it." The truth is, I tried to accept the new movies with a somewhat cool air, like I didn't really care about the change to Asuka's name or the introduction of the meganekko, but......

Then he expresses the rebirth of his enthusiasm and remembers his old life (I don't really know the best way to translate all of it ^^; ):
いやいやいやいやいや、坂上くんの思惑どおり、超熱気が復活しちゃいましたよ! アスカとかまじいいっすよ! ええ! ひとり暮らしでポスター張ってたときとか思い出しちゃいましたよw! やられた!

Then:
まあ実際、この「RETAKE」はとてもよくできている作品ですね。ゲーム的リアリズムばりばりです。二次創作でしかできない表現の可能性について、ひさしぶりに考えさせられました。

Well, really, RETAKE is a very well done work. [...] It made me think again, after a long time, about the potential for expression that can only be achieved by secondary works.

それにしても、おれ、あのころ娘ができてたらまじで「アスカ」とか命名してたんだろうなあ……(RETAKEはそういう話でもある)。

Nevertheless, if I had had a daughter at that time, I would probably have named her Asuka...... [...]
Last edited by 1731298478 on Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BornIn1142
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby BornIn1142 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:59 pm

Oh, that's neat. My respect for the guy is increasing.
"I'm afraid you can't create tragedy out of abnormal psychology." - Andrew Sarris.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Retake and Azuma

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:24 pm

View Original Post1731298478 wrote:Hiroki Azuma talks about receiving Re-Take as a birthday present. It reminds me a bit of symbv's story ^^ (Azuma is a big Asuka fan...)

My reaction
[URL=http://imgur.com/BcTWW]Image[/URL]
I do not have a AA (ascii art) of Asuka so let me use a recent one from Madoka

This is the most affirmative comment I have ever seen on Re-Take, and from a veteran and big name anime critic!!

He got it in May 2009, less than one year before my story. Yes!!

http://d.hatena.ne.jp/hazuma/20090511/1242018681

Let me try to complete the translation:

文学フリマ&エヴァンゲリオンRETAKE
LITERATURE FLEA MARKET & EVANGELION RETAKE

みなさん、昨日の文学フリマはご苦労さまでした。
Everybody, thanks for everything in the Literature Flea Market yeserday!

ぼくは今回一般客としてちょっと顔を出しただけでしたが、評論系同人誌は確実にもりあがってますね。数年前の状況と較べると隔世の熱気で、そろそろマスコミも注目し始めるのではないでしょうか。ぼく自身もこのシーンをできるだけ長続きさせるべく、昨年のゼロアカだけではなく、今後もいろいろ仕掛けていかなきゃなとあらためて責任を痛感しました。
This time I only showed up a little bit as a regular customer. The doujin on criticism genre really got a lot of attention. Compared to what it was a few years ago the passion was like from another world. I have a feeling that it is about time mass media will starts to take ntoice. I myself also wants to keep this state to last as long as possible. It got me to feel acutely the responsibility of giving various ideas not just in Zeoaka last year but also in future as well.

たくさん献本もいただきました。これから目を通す予定です。ありがとうございます。
I received a lot of books as gift. I plan to read them from now on. Thank you very much.

さて、それはそれとして、その前日にはぼくの誕生日祝いが開かれていました。それで、その場でゼロアカ生の坂上くんより、スタジオkimigabuchiのエヴァンゲリオン二次創作同人誌「RETAKE」全6巻をプレゼントとして譲り受けたわけです。「最近東さんのエヴァ熱が低いので、これを読んでぜひ復活してください」とのことで、実際ぼくは、アスカの名前が変わっているとかメガネっ娘が出るとかマジどうでもいいよ、といささか冷淡な空気で新劇場版を迎えようとしていたわけですが……。
Well, having said that, the day before the flea market my birthday celebration was held. I received the complete six volumes of Studio Kimigabuchi's Evangelion dojinshi "RETAKE" as a present from Zeroaka member Sakagami-kun, who said, "Azuma-san's passion for Eva has dwindled recently, so please read this and revive it." The truth is, I tried to accept the new movies with a somewhat cool air, as I didn't really care about the change to Asuka's name or the introduction of the meganekko, but......

いやいやいやいやいや、坂上くんの思惑どおり、超熱気が復活しちゃいましたよ! アスカとかまじいいっすよ! ええ! ひとり暮らしでポスター張ってたときとか思い出しちゃいましたよw! やられた!
Well well well well well as Sakagami-kun had wanted, my super passion was very much revived!! Asuka etc are truly so cool!! Yes!! The idea like sticking a poster (as I live by myself) even came up to me www!! It got me!!

まあ実際、この「RETAKE」はとてもよくできている作品ですね。ゲーム的リアリズムばりばりです。二次創作でしかできない表現の可能性について、ひさしぶりに考えさせられました。
Well, really, RETAKE is a very well done work. The game-like realism is so full of energy. It made me think again, after a long time, about the potential for expression that can only be achieved by secondary works.

それにしても、おれ、あのころ娘ができてたらまじで「アスカ」とか命名してたんだろうなあ……(RETAKEはそういう話でもある)。
Nevertheless, if I had had a daughter at that time, I would probably have named her Asuka...(in Retake there is also a similar story)

Again I want to say this is something that is so good about the tolerant attitude of copyright infringement by doujin creation, even though adult material is involved. It keeps a franchise alive and allows outlet channel for the cretive energy as well as yearning from fans which would be very hard to satisfy in official channel. This is something that would be hard to imagine to happen in copyright-obsessive places like America.
Last edited by symbv on Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

CJD
Banned

Re: Retake and Azuma

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:43 am

I think the only correct answer is that this guy is symbv.

gwern
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby gwern » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:55 pm

That is pretty awesome.

ipwnuall
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ipwnuall » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:59 pm

I read it recently, and apart from the incredibly graphic and unnecessary sex scenes, was very good. I got pretty teary eyed at moments and that was not helped by listing to some pretty emotional Led Zeppelin song, particularly "The Rain Song" in which the lyrics "
Talk Talk - I've felt the coldness of my winter
I never thought it would ever go. I cursed the gloom that set upon us...
But I know that I love you so"
perfectly synced with the ending where they said they loved each other. Sent a little shiver up the spine.
"The potential that human beings have for recognizing each other's humanity and responding to it, with empathy rather than antipathy."
- Roger Waters on "Echoes"

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:09 pm

View Original Postipwnuall wrote:I read it recently, and apart from the incredibly graphic and unnecessary sex scenes, was very good.

Glad that you love Re-Take. For the sex scenes, are you aware that the final version of the doujin is the all-age version? It still has sex in the plot but no more graphic or unnecessary sex scenes. This reflected the actual intention of the author (as by then the doujin got famous enough so that there is no more need to add graphic and unnecessary sex scenes in as many doujin do in order to push sales). The all-age version also streamlines the story and makes it clearer. If you love Re-Take, I strongly recommend you to check out the all-age version. It is really sad to see that somehow Re-Take is known in the west only as a 18+ level doujin, not the better and final all-age version.
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

ipwnuall
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ipwnuall » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:16 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Glad that you love Re-Take. For the sex scenes, are you aware that the final version of the doujin is the all-age version? It still has sex in the plot but no more graphic or unnecessary sex scenes. This reflected the actual intention of the author (as by then the doujin got famous enough so that there is no more need to add graphic and unnecessary sex scenes in as many doujin do in order to push sales). The all-age version also streamlines the story and makes it clearer. If you love Re-Take, I strongly recommend you to check out the all-age version. It is really sad to see that somehow Re-Take is known in the west only as a 18+ level doujin, not the better and final all-age version.

I have read the all age version, and it was just as good.
"The potential that human beings have for recognizing each other's humanity and responding to it, with empathy rather than antipathy."

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Final Messenger » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:30 pm

I read retake and loved it. Retake was great closure for me after the bittersweet taste EoE left in my mouth (even though it’s noncannon). I did not mind the sex scenes that much as they where plot points the only one that I found unnecessary was the locker room one in retake 2. I would really like to read the all ages version but I have no idea where to find it.
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

ipwnuall
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ipwnuall » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:31 pm

View Original PostFinal Messenger wrote:I read retake and loved it. Retake was great closure for me after the bittersweet taste EoE left in my mouth (even though it’s noncannon). I did not mind the sex scenes that much as they where plot points the only one that I found unnecessary was the locker room one in retake 2. I would really like to read the all ages version but I have no idea where to find it.

Here you go

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/FanFic/RE-TAKE?from=Main.RE-TAKE

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Final Messenger » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:35 pm

thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

ipwnuall
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ipwnuall » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:51 pm

View Original PostFinal Messenger wrote:thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!

No prob.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:06 pm

View Original PostFinal Messenger wrote: the only one that I found unnecessary was the locker room one in retake 2. I would really like to read the all ages version but I have no idea where to find it.

ipwnuall provided information of how to access the all-age version (great, as I never know how -- I have the physical copies of the doujin, both the six volumes of the 18+ version and the three volumes of the all-age versions).

Just want to say that the locker room sex scene was particularly unnecessary and it was completely changed in the all-age version to a reasonable development.
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

ipwnuall
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ipwnuall » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:15 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:ipwnuall provided information of how to access the all-age version (great, as I never know how -- I have the physical copies of the doujin, both the six volumes of the 18+ version and the three volumes of the all-age versions).

Just want to say that the locker room sex scene was particularly unnecessary and it was completely changed in the all-age version to a reasonable development.

I preferred the all ages version of that scene because it was totally Asuka.

Sephizim
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sephizim » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:34 am

Well, I just finished reading it myself for the first time (after seeing everyone talking about it so much) and I really enjoyed it. But I also felt that some of the sex scenes were really gratuitous, so I'm definitely going to look for the all-ages version next.

Still, I thought it went beyond the level of "doujin" and managed to capture the style and spirit of EVA perfectly. It gave the story endings that are more or less happy, but that still feel right in a world where there are no happy endings. Well worth the read.

Return to “Fan Works”