What anime are you watching right now? Apr-Sep 11

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:09 pm

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:No. 6 was really good. We got to see Rat at work and it seems he has a connection to Sion's female friend. There also seems to be more to Sion then meets the eye.

The newest episode was first which I consider genuinely really good. The last two episodes have been much better than earlier ones overall

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:Best show of this season, and maybe even of the year, sharing the spot with PMMM.

Kanba is already the best male lead since Takuto.

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:Watched the first 4 episodes of Dantalian no Shoka. This show is pretty good. The story and setting are interesting and the MC knows how to take care of business. The only sour note so far is the girl. She has all the worthless character traits common to her type. Other then that this show looks very promising.

I must say I disagree. It's not bad but awfully mediocre in most respects (directing is really shoddy to boot and less said about fight scenes the better) and has featured some truly terrible writing.

Sawashiro Miyuki's excellent performance (sasuga Miyuki) as titular tsundere and no bs MC are just about the only truly good thing about it.

Ep 4's fujoshis in ye olde England was already JAPAAAANNNNNNNN moment but the real dumb was the resolution

THE STUPIDEST DEUS EX MACHINA I'VE SEEN IN QUITE A WHILE
:lol: :facepalm:

but who cares about this season's anime when I can have time of my life by continuing watching older titles! In Macross 7 Basara continues being dumber than pile of rocks and to boot he's started absolutely insufferable wangstfest. Also, SINGING FOR DINOSAURS LOLOLOLOOOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOL (and new ED song sucks whyyy ;___; )

Anyway

CAN'T HE JUST DIE ALREADY

The worst Macross villain EVER

oh well, at least they finally gave the reduced-to-plot-dumber Eksedol a good line

and he's right. It may be futile but more fanservice wouldn't hurt this show - it's not like it has much to lose or anything.

Actually, Eksedol's wise beyond his greenskinned years line would be my comment on this week's Idolmaster too.

But enough about that. My main course today and for this post is Aquarion or to be more precise "WHAT THE FLYING FUCK AM I SEEING" and "who the fuck comes up with this sh-KAWAMORIIIIIIIIIIIIIII": The Series

dish being exemplary culinary experience in sheer WAT

creepiest lips ever, do not want

Okay, the not-at-all concealed yaoi subtexts and storyline in backstory are nothing new to this show and the main villain just breathes kind of debauched, disturbing cocaine fueled glam rock party gayness straight from 70s. His, uhh, unrequited love for our idiotic MC's previous incarnation - who in turn looks like a Diyonysian ancient greek character from wet dreams of Athenian pederast of the city's golden age heyday - was already kinda out there as it was but then episodes 13 and 14 happened and I don't even... just what exactly is Shoji smoking

(yes, those are freaking wings sprouting from his head - deal with it)

wait wait wait wait wait wait wait WAIT so if I get this straight:

These two muscular hunks of gay flesh on wings were FLUTTERING AROUND THE SUN with eventual purpose of...procreation for sake of their species? What? Are we talking about some sort of cosmic MALE PREGNANCY or...actually, I don't want to think about the details.

But oh no, it does not end here. After this our hero was supposed to buzz around Sephiroth tree in order to POLLINATE EACH OF ITS FLOWER? What is he, a FREAKING BEE? A pretty butterfly? A pregnant gay bee guy hopping from flower to flower in order to conceive a new world?

My mind is full of fuck.

What is most terrifying though is the implications...so if I get this straight the ultimate motivation behind bad guys's monster of the week attacks is to build up Doinky's

POWER LEVEL so that they can IMPREGNATE HIM?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!? :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:

I surrender, Kawamori. I've seen various kind of bad guy plans in my chinese cartoons but never, EVER one like this. SEELE is bunch of unimaginative nihilistic noobs. If they wanted to create a new, ideal world they should've just had Kaworu get Shinji pregnant and wait for reaping the fruit(s).

I think it goes without saying that Aquarion has long since usurped the position of the most out there mecha anime I've seen from Eva

Alastor wrote:Aquarion is basicly RahXephon, Getter Robo, and Eva at the biggest high mankind has ever known, with music by Yoko Kanno. And it's freaking awesome.

So guys, why aren't you watching this yet?

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:41 pm

CAN'T HE JUST DIE ALREADY

The worst Macross villain EVER

SPOILER: Show
He, Glavil, Geperuniti, and Sivil are the only villains alive in the end

And try worst anime villain period.
These two muscular hunks of gay flesh on wings were FLUTTERING AROUND THE SUN with eventual purpose of...procreation for sake of their species? What? Are we talking about some sort of cosmic MALE PREGNANCY or...actually, I don't want to think about the details.

Ugh, this is amazingly simplistic I'm amazed this went over your head:

The prana (life energy) gathered from harvesting humans is used into energy that fertilizes the soil of Atlandea and that is the job Apollonius was given. If enough of this energy is concentrated it will form into a Shadow Angel. To an extent this also functions as food for the Shadow Angels.
But oh no, it does not end here. After this our hero was supposed to buzz around Sephiroth tree in order to POLLINATE EACH OF ITS FLOWER? What is he, a FREAKING BEE? A pretty butterfly? A pregnant gay bee guy hopping from flower to flower in order to conceive a new world?

My mind is full of fuck.

:lol: :rofl: :hitthetable:
I think it goes without saying that Aquarion has long since usurped the position of the most out there mecha anime I've seen from Eva

Why it is my favorite anime franchise ever. :thumbsup:
I surrender, Kawamori.

Quit now? But Xard, there is so much to look forward too including mini-Dogoras that eat everyone's food, Aquarion regenerating out of a tree, a giant vampire, and variable fighter style Aquarions.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:34 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:The newest episode was first which I consider genuinely really good. The last two episodes have been much better than earlier ones overall
I just glad you're still watching. You hadn't said anything about the show in a while so I thought you'd given up on it.

I must say I disagree. It's not bad but awfully mediocre in most respects (directing is really shoddy to boot and less said about fight scenes the better) and has featured some truly terrible writing. Sawashiro Miyuki's excellent performance (sasuga Miyuki) as titular tsundere and no bs MC are just about the only truly good thing about it.
Well I certainly wouldn't call it mediocre. It's easily beating some of the other shows I'm watching right now. Not to mention the setting and story are far more interesting then most everything else I'm watching. Though I agree the writing and direction has been crappy at times. However I'm enjoying the show enough to be able to hand wave most of it.

Ep 4's fujoshis in ye olde England was already JAPAAAANNNNNNNN moment but the real dumb was the resolution
Yeah the ending was pretty stupid. Though I found the depiction of the crazy woman in episode 2 to be even worse. Her characterisation was just too unbelievable to be taken seriously.

Watched Kamisama no Memo-cho. It was average. A bit of an improvement over last week.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:33 am

View Original PostXard wrote:So guys, why aren't you watching [Aquarion] yet?

I can't get past the horrible, horrible, horrible... horrible CGI.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:19 pm

I can't get past the horrible, horrible, horrible... horrible CGI.

That CGI was very well done, if you really want to see bad CGI try SRW: OG Divine Wars.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

LeoXiao
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby LeoXiao » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:02 pm

Currently watching Steins;Gate.
This anime is the best one I've seen in almost a year. It started out a little annoying and I thought it would end up like a typical pointless attempt at comedy, but it had a degree of seriousness that showed me that something cool was going on. While even someone like me (who failed physics) can tell that the science is complete bullshit, the way they deal with time travel and the implications thereof is really awesome and mind-boggling. The show is funny as well; I'm amazed at how they can make even the more serious parts absolutely hilarious.

I'm up through episode atm, will continue to watch.

8/10 so far.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby drinian » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:58 pm

I just watched the first Mobile Suit Gundam film.

Needless to say, I had no idea that there were so many parallels between Shinji's reluctance to pilot in the first couple of episodes of Evangelion and Amuro Ray's accidental rise to pilot.
[Became an administrator on July 1st, 2006.]

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:48 pm

Watched Hana-Saku Iroha. It was very boring except for a argument over the cultural festival late in the episode. An argument that showed Minchi behaving like the worlds biggest hypocrite. Other then that this episode was largely a waste of time.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

Postby C.A.P. » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:41 pm

Because of hearing good things about it (and since it's pretty short -- 11 episodes), I decided to watch all eleven episodes of Princess Jellyfish.

Let's just say that the rumors that it could be a sleeper hit of 2010 is a greatly exaggerated statement.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:54 pm

^ Yeah, Kuragehime was a good show. Standard noitaminA quality. Too bad the ending was a bit rushed.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:15 am

Watched Ikoku Meiro No Croisee. Very nice episode this week. Plenty of humor to be had, and some seriousness as well. I'd been afraid the new girl would wreck the show, but thankfully that doesn't seem to be the case.

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby EvangelionFan » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:59 am

So I saw Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode One

Screencap Commentary  SPOILER: Show
Yay Storytime

It seemed like just a play ring
I say that because I gave playrings to a girl my age when I was in first/second grade

... that she decided to spend the rest of her life searching for him?

Nice. Immediately better than a cliché.

Of course I saw her in the OP, but sheeeeesus, her hair is awesome.
AND IMAGES OF ROSES

If I had started Revolutionary Girl Utena in High School I so could have suggested this to other dyke chicks.
Actually, no. Because that would have been rude. And I'm not rude.

ROSE MOTION
/notice guy staring at her hair - ITT my face as I watched this episode

ARCHITECHTURE
also were there any sexual allusions in the imagery of this episode - I haven't seen (m)any yet

:|

Best Line of Episode

I intend to watch one episode each weekday until I finish it, so... yeah.
Voluntary Illusion.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:31 am

^Isn't that from that new penquin show? :chinscratch:

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:22 am

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:^Isn't that from that new penquin show? :chinscratch:
what

he named the show in his post, dude

Ikuhara directed Utena and Mawaru Peguindrum both, but they're not exactly easy to confuse...

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby SaltyJoe » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:41 am

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:^Isn't that from that new penquin show? :chinscratch:

Yeah, Ikuhara sure has his bag of tricks. This... this is what the joke is supposed to be about, right? Him using similar techniques in both shows? It's really not coming through.

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:... that she decided to spend the rest of her life searching for him?

Well, that too. Or rather, she hopes that she'll find him.

BTW, have you read Demian by Hermann Hesse? Not the best novel ever, but if you read it after finishing Utena you might get some extra milage out of it (provided that the show was to your liking in the first place).
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:00 am

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:also were there any sexual allusions in the imagery of this episode - I haven't seen (m)any yet

Gonna be a while till the dicktower shows up...but the groundwork is already there, with the giant roses everywhere and all.

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:Best Line of Episode

Kiryu Touga Langley? - best character in the show for about the next...oh I don't know thirty-four episodes or so. King of the Mansluts. Unfortunately, as to one-liners, he never quite tops "II BEIBII"

View Original PostSaltyJoe wrote:BTW, have you read Demian by Hermann Hesse? Not the best novel ever

Aww, it's not that bad. Ending is shit though
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:58 am

Kekko Kamen. Once again Go Nagai manages to create an anime in a genre I would otherwise never watch and he makes it funny as hell. The cameos of Cutey Honey and Mazinger Z in the last ep were kind of cool as was the remixed Grendizer ending in ep 2. Not the funniest anime I've seen and it was quite corny, but entertaining nonetheless.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:28 pm

WHAT IS THIS TRAVESTY

Where's my A-I-SHI-TE-RUUUUUUUUUUUUU? Curse you! :fistshake: :fistshake: :fistshake:

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:
He, Glavil, Geperuniti, and Sivil are the only villains alive in the end

And try worst anime villain period.

Guhhhhhh, why did I click that spoiler...now I'm depressed. Well, only 14 eps to go. 3rd time is the charm after all, given that I've dropped the show twice in the past it looks like I can finally finish it with reasonably content state of mind.

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:The prana (life energy) gathered from harvesting humans is used into energy that fertilizes the soil of Atlandea and that is the job Apollonius was given. If enough of this energy is concentrated it will form into a Shadow Angel. To an extent this also functions as food for the Shadow Angels.

Well yes, I know that but the way the scene came up with it being framed with Toma's blatant homolust for Apollonius and such freaky choice of words like POLLINATE... man wtf. :lol:

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:Quit now?

Of course not, I'm just once and for all giving up on there being anything weird enough in this show not to happen. Also, I still want mah male pregnancy Dr. Nick promised.

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:I just glad you're still watching. You hadn't said anything about the show in a while so I thought you'd given up on it.

but I even posted screencaps of the dance scene... D:

I haven't had much time to post about any series I've been watching, to be honest.

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:I can't get past the horrible, horrible, horrible... horrible CGI.

The CGI is pretty much state of art and pretty darn amazing for series from 2005. It took me some episodes to get used to it but after that...no complaints, really. It doesn't quite compare to Macross Zero before and esp. not to Frontier after it but it's still really well-done. One has to see it in motion to fully appreciate though - you couldn't do fight scenes like ones Aquarion usually has any justice with cel-based animation. The integration of 2D and 3D elements is also top notch and there's plenty of experimentation and truly ambitious effects animation thrown in.

Though as far as technical side of things go Satoru Utsunomiya's animation direction and key animation in ep 19 is still the single most impressive thing to come out from the show. I mean, damn.

Aquarion's sense of aesthetics IS batshit insane though. If I end up writing review of the series after finishing it I'm certainly going to dig into this further... partially because of this I've been reading some reviews of the series as of late, most of them kinda negative with some really negative ones (and one really lenghty review that basically hailed it as second coming of Escaflowne Jebus wtf) and I'm not sure if I've found anyone with whose opinion I agree to high degree. I'm not buttmad about it at all, though I can understand

"Also, it was directed by Shoji Kawamori, who should really freaking know better. For those who don't know who he is, imagine if Hayao Miyazaki made a movie about a group of schoolgirls who all had a crush on some really skeezy older dude, and there were tons of upskirt shots. Picture that in your mind, and you'll understand my disappointment."

where this kind of sentiment comes from... :lol:

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:also were there any sexual allusions in the imagery of this episode - I haven't seen (m)any yet

Everything about Utena is about pen0ses and vag00s, expect the stuff that is about cows and laying eggs. That stuff is about cows and laying eggs.
Last edited by Xard on Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:35 pm

Where's my A-I-SHI-TE-RUUUUUUUUUUUUU? Curse you!

Go tight! It's show time! Just shake it down and you'll be fine. :tongue:
Guhhhhhh, why did I click that spoiler...now I'm depressed. Well, only 14 eps to go

Wait until you see the twins. Also, Geperuniti's true form in the final episodes do make it sort of worth it.
Also, I still want mah male pregnancy Dr. Nick promised.

You're thinking the second OVA.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:50 pm

Steins;Gate 19.

FALCON... PUNCH!!!!! Hell of a good episode.
I like Moeka and I'm glad that Okabe got to her. Although one hell of a fight. I thought it was animated excellently and we even got to see some cleavage. I'm happy with how it ended too. It shows that Moeka does have a heart and hopefully she'll survive until the TRUE end world line and maybe become a permanent lab member.
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

Return to “Old Stickies”