Unit 02: Why Four Eyes?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:37 pm

View Original Postzuka wrote:Holy crap, I'd never noticed the skull one before. That is incredibly, incredibly creepy

And considering Unit 00 sucks as it is, you can only imagine how shitty those prototypes would have been. And did it seriously take them 15+ tries to make an Eva? That's a pretty bad record of failure.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:11 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:For instance, did you know that routine administration via the alimentary canal can result in pituitary dysfunction, nymphomania, and sterility?

:lol:
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

cd603
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby cd603 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:12 am

View Original PostTrajan wrote:And considering Unit 00 sucks as it is, you can only imagine how shitty those prototypes would have been. And did it seriously take them 15+ tries to make an Eva? That's a pretty bad record of failure.

Is it weird I'd like to see this animated?? I mean as a prequel of sorts.

MasterSe7en
Embryo

Why does Eva-02 have 4 eyes?

•      
  •      

Postby MasterSe7en » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:17 pm

Merged with existing thread

Anyone know the answer to this?
i <3 Berzerk Eva's

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:21 pm

I'm fairly certain there is no functional reason for this, I think it was just to design something cool. Though it needs to be said that it does indeed have four organic eyes underneath.

Theories do exist for this of course, I've hear postulation that Unit-00, Unit-01, and Unit-02 have the number of eyes they do because they add up to seven, which is of significance in Christian text. This is already referenced in Evangelion by Seele's crest, which is also seen on Lilith's mask.

I also remember a totally bogus rumor that was completely fabricated, which explained the appearances of the Evas as being based upon the "Four Baron's of Hell".

http://www.evamonkey.com/writings_faren01.php

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:43 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:I also remember a totally bogus rumor that was completely fabricated, which explained the appearances of the Evas as being based upon the "Four Baron's of Hell".

I remember that one, I dunno who started it, nor which ones his intentions may have been... But I wonder...
I wonder why is it that every good anime is always compared side-by-side with devilish/infernal/anti-christian imagery?

As for the Eva'a eyes... To see better?
Why does it have horns in Rebuild? To look better...
Why the beast mode? To EAT better!!!
I'm whit those that say that it's a coolness-based design...
Otherwise, what function does the horn on Eva 01 has?
Or the upper "eyes" Eva 00 has? (if those were the true "eyes" then Eva 00 was far more screwed up than we thought)
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

Strayn
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Strayn » Sun May 01, 2011 10:55 am

The more eyes you have, the better you are. I heard there's a sixteen-eyed Eva out there.
Gainax?
Trollnax.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Sun May 01, 2011 11:43 am

View Original Postarael wrote:Otherwise, what function does the horn on Eva 01 has?

It's a penis.

More seriously it's suggested that there's a radio antenna in there. And, of course, it looks cool.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sun May 01, 2011 1:15 pm

I think the designs of the EVAs are mostly just made for the sake of cool mecha stuff. The "deep" stuff starts when the armor comes off.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Sun May 01, 2011 2:57 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:The "deep" stuff starts when the armor comes off.

That explains a LOT about stripper clubs...
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

Frozzy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Frozzy » Sun May 01, 2011 3:21 pm

i agree that it was probably just to see if having more eyes on an eva made it better or not in combat situation although if it was a "Final Production Model" maybe it was germanies way if being different than the others since the other models after it seem to have 2 eyes and the MPs dont seem to have any visible on their heads
"You're thinking in Japanese! If you must think, do it in German!"

Akhbar_25
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Akhbar_25 » Sun May 08, 2011 4:07 pm

View Original Postthewayneiac wrote:It's been occasionally suggested (with no actual evidence) that the number of eyes has something to do with the Seele emblem:

Unit-00 (1 eye) + Unit-01 (2 eyes) + Unit-02 (4 eyes) = 7 eyes, the same number as on the Seele emblem. Short of someone on the Eva staff confirming that this is intentional, there doesn't seem to be any way of proving it.

JEJE.. I also thought about the 7 Eyes in the Seele Emblem while ago...

View Original Postcd603 wrote:Then I now declare this thread: THE "WHO CAN COME UP WITH THE BEST THEORY BEHIND UNIT 02'S FOUR EYES" THREAD!!

About the theory of the four eyes: I remember I read something like 8-9 years ago when I watched Eva for the first time and start looking for information about the Evas.

The Evas are suppose to look like some kind of demonds taken from the Celtic and Viking mythology.

The Eva00: A demon with One eye without a mouth.
The Eva01: A demon with Two eyes and one horn.
And the Eva 02: A demon with Four eyes and Two mouths

I really do not remember where did I see this. But I can assure you I read it long time ago.
"He was aware that he was still a child"
"Don't be"

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Sun May 08, 2011 8:12 pm

^
Anno is on record that the Evas are supposed to look like the traditional Japanese Demons/Ogres known as "Oni".
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

flapjack
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby flapjack » Mon May 09, 2011 4:32 am

View Original Postthewayneiac wrote:^
Anno is on record that the Evas are supposed to look like the traditional Japanese Demons/Ogres known as "Oni".

The design on "Oni Sake" comes to mind... google it. It's eyes are similar to Eva 02, and it's red.

I think there are samurai helmets with 4 eyed designs on them, but I couldn't find any on google. Unit 2 has a samurai crest in 2.0.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”