REQUEST: Questions to ask at Fanime 2013

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

REQUEST: Questions to ask at Fanime 2013

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:26 pm

So uh, I figured now's a good as time as any to post these for folks lucky enough to head to Fanime. Unfortunately, I won't be able to be there since I don't exactly live in the area anymore.

Apparently the guy behind Petit Eva is gonna be at Fanime (awesome), but I was wondering, IF Hiroyuki Yamaga happens to be at Fanime (again) and IF he happens to hold another question and answer panel, could somebody PLEASE ask him the following? It's mainly because of these three topics , but I was going to ask Yamaga this question at Fanime '10 (in addition to the question I actually asked him) but never got around to it.

MAIN Question to ask: Number 01 wrote:With Neon Genesis Evangelion, is the TV ending and movie ending concurrent, are they same ending? Does Shinji reject the Human Instrumentality Project in both endings? Or is the TV ending intentionally vague while The End of Evangelion ending is more clear? There aren't any official statements on this TV versus Film ending debate by the staff, only vague information in publications.

The next are optional.

But I seriously think it'd be nice to get an answer out of somebody (other than an understandable "WTF?!") due to the CONTROVERSY surrounding the Ritsuko question. This has been bugging me and I'm sure others in the fan-community for quite some time, so yeah:

OPTIONAL Question to ask: Number 02 wrote:Why is Ritsuko standing naked in front of the Seele monoliths in Episode 23? Chairman Kiel uses the word "ryoujoku", so was Ritsuko raped or otherwise sexually assaulted by someone?

OPTIONAL Question to ask: Number 03 wrote:Would you say the Director's Cuts Episodes of the Eva TV Series take precedence with canon over the On-Air Episodes? Why or why not do you think this?

OPTIONAL Question to ask: Number 04 wrote:Do you personally have any hopes or expectations for the rest of Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition? Have you so far noticed differences in fan reactions in the West versus fan reactions in the East?

OPTIONAL Question to ask: Number 05 wrote:Do Studio Gainax and Studio Khara receive a lot of money from Eva merchandising? Fans seem to assume that means either Studio is swimming in money whether or not that's the case, so where does the money go to and just what is it used for? Does only a small percentage of money made from selling products go to Gainax or Khara while the rest goes to the companies who produced the merchandise?

I'm well aware Yamaga didn't work much on Eva (other than production for the series/Death/EoE) so it's possible asking him isn't going be the same as asking a "proper" NGE staff member, but I'd be very interested in hearing his answers to these questions, regardless. Hell, I found his answers to the questions asked last year were pretty interesting, as well as the discussion it spawned here on EGF.

Thank you!!! :kaos_bow:
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Thu May 16, 2013 10:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

squall.leonhart
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby squall.leonhart » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:37 pm

I'll try to be there. I just have to get that weekend off from work.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:37 pm

Hm, this answer will probably also be an opinion since that guy wasn't involved with the "real thing" all that much. Still, it would be nice to hear his opinions... But we should ask something Petit Eva related, i.e, something the guy can actually answer: "Will there will more of it? Will it ever include Mari?"

Also whoever does the asking (It sadly won't be me :( Dun have teh cash to go there... ) should make the effort to keep some neutrality...
Last edited by Kendrix on Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:39 pm

I should be there again this year (hopefully more than I was last year), but I can't say with certainty. If need be, I can try asking all these questions.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:40 pm

Kendrix: Petit Eva guy is this guy: Ryusuke HAMAMOTO http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=71227

Hiroyuki Yamaga is this guy: Hiroyuki YAMAGA http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=1519

I'm talking about Yamaga, who's attended A LOT of Fanime cons and has often held a Question and Answer panel.

Edit: Thanks, Sachi and Squall! :) (And hopefully NAW-kun...)

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:42 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Kendrix: Petit Eva guy is this guy: Ryusuke HAMAMOTO http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=71227

Hiroyuki Yamaga is this guy: Hiroyuki YAMAGA http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=1519

I'm talking about Yamaga, who's attended A LOT of Fanime cons and has often held a Question and Answer panel.

Edit: Thanks, Sachi and Squall! :) (And hopefully NAW-kun...)

Sorry, I mixed something up. Scrap my question. I think the ones listed above are pretty much the essential ones.

rhfxz1s
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby rhfxz1s » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:10 pm

Regarding your first question, I feel like we'll never actually get a straight answer by this point. Although I personally feel that the endings are concurrent (but that's another point of debate) I think it's one of those points that the production staff purposely left vague to challenge their viewers. It wouldn't be the first time they've done something like that.

The other questions are good though, particularly the Ritsuko one, which I was always wondering about myself. I kind of assumed it was for some sort of security reason, but your mentioning of that Japanese word certainly makes it more interesting.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:38 pm

View Original Postrhfxz1s wrote:Regarding your first question, I feel like we'll never actually get a straight answer by this point. Although I personally feel that the endings are concurrent (but that's another point of debate) I think it's one of those points that the production staff purposely left vague to challenge their viewers. It wouldn't be the first time they've done something like that.

We could still try XD

---

Another thing to ask would be if Misato really meant to offer Shinji her body in ep 23 because I would have never thought of it it that booklet hadn't thrown it in as a half-suggestion...
I wouldn't be too surprised if they say yes, but asking is woth a try - if it's meant to be obvious, there will be answers and if it's meant to be ambiguous, well, then several are valid.
To get a non-biased answer, the questions should be asked neutrally, like: "What exactly was Misato going to do when she, ..."

Carl Horn
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Carl Horn » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:36 am

To suggest some advice, it should be remembered that for a Japanese guest to properly understand a question, the interpreter must understand it first. Many people who interpret on con panels are not necessarily going to be experts on the work of the guests. And of course, in the case of Evangelion, you might be asking the guest about work they were involved with some years ago, and exact details may be hard to remember.

So if there is some way you can document your question beforehand to make it more clear, that might be a good idea. For example, if you have a question about a certain scene or line of dialogue, you could (politely, of course ^_^) hand the panel moderator (or whomever is supervising the questions), a printout or photocopy from the script book, anime film comic, or some other reference in the original Japanese, marking the line or scene in question. That way, the guest will know exactly what you're talking about, rather than having to figure out the topic of the question first. This may save both time and misunderstandings.

Regarding Yamaga-san, it's possible, as some have noted before, that he might say he doesn't know the answer to a question, or that it might be better directed to another person (in the case of questions about Episode 23, for example, to Kou Yamaguchi, who co-wrote that episode's script with Anno). Yamaga may also, of course, give a different answer to a question than has been given by other people involved with Evangelion. Although he was a co-producer on Eva, rather than one of its writers or directors, at the time the series was made, Yamaga had already known and worked with Anno for fifteen years, dating back to when they were dormmates together in college, so, inasmuch as Eva was a deeply personal series for Anno, Yamaga himself had a personal perspective on Anno that makes his comments of particular interest.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed May 11, 2011 6:05 pm

Headsup for anybody thinking of going to Fanime: Hiroyuki Yamaga IS on the Guests of Honor list (though I don't see anything about Carl): http://www.fanime.com/goh

I second Carl's suggestion of writing the question down or trying to find a Japanese source where applicable (I'll try to do some digging and see if I can post any Japanese references to things later on).

AND OH MY GOD, TOHRU FURUYA (Mamoru/Tuxedo Kamen) IS GOING TO BE THERE!! WHY OH WHY MUST FATE MOCK ME ON THE ONE YEAR I CAN'T GO TO FANIME?! :crybaby:

Chrad
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Chrad » Thu May 12, 2011 8:02 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Another thing to ask would be if Misato really meant to offer Shinji her body in ep 23 because I would have never thought of it it that booklet hadn't thrown it in as a half-suggestion...
I doubt Yamaga would know the answer to this question. He's not the ultimate authority on Eva and its script.
I think it was pretty clear that's what she was doing, but that's for another thread.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed May 25, 2011 9:27 am

I seriously doubt Yamaga-san will know the answer to this, but because people in this thread are going through denial, here's

OPTIONAL Question to ask: Number 06 wrote:Is Arianne, the singer of Komm Susser Tod and Everything You Ever Dreamed, named Arianne Schreiber? The English Neon Genesis Evangelion singers Arianne, Claire, Loren and Mash are all British, yes? Why were none of them credied with their last names when they sang Eva songs? (Claire--last name Littley--sang Fly Me To the Moon, while Loren and Mash sang Thanatos - If I Can't Be Yours as well as songs on the Vox CD.)

If any of you do attend Fanime '11 (this weekend, wow), please let us know in here how things went! Thanks! ^_^

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Fri May 27, 2011 12:01 pm

I picked a pretty bad year to not go after all. I would like to know a couple of things:

(For Hiroyuki Yamaga): Has the Youth Ordinance Bill affected production at GAINAX in any way?

(For Fumio Iida): How does one go about drawing an Evangelion or other detailed mecha? They don't seem to intuitively break down into easily drawable shapes.

Is animation at Walt Disney Japan produced significantly differently from studios that make animation for Japan?
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat May 28, 2011 3:08 pm

Bad news, everyone!

According to Fanime's Twitter, Yamaga cancelled his Fanime visit due to family issues:

http://www.fanime.com/2011/05/27/hiroyuki-yamaga-cancels-2011-visit/

It's amazing that he's been at the convention each year for the past 14 years, however (since 1997!!). Wow.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu May 10, 2012 7:09 pm

He's back again this year!

http://www.fanime.com/guests-of-honor/#yamaga Not that I could make it anyway...

So, who's planning on attending and asking (some) of the various questions in this thread? :nyao:

(Shigeto Koyama worked/is working as a key animator in Eva: New Movie Edition? Wonder what particular sequences, I can never keep track of the different animator styles.)

Henry Spencer
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu May 10, 2012 8:45 pm

I don't really have a whole lot to ask, but there has been one thing on my mind regarding NME: Do the angels introduced in 2.22 have official names? If they do, what are they?
In Heaven everything is fine.
2% of people on internet forums are impressionable n

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu May 16, 2013 10:43 pm

If anybody here is attending Fanime 2013 and they'd be willing to ask Yamaga any of the questions mentioned in the opening post (and other questions that folks brought up), that would be great.

Thank you!

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Thu May 16, 2013 10:53 pm

Some of these seem almost inappropriate to ask, like ... well, most of them, but I'm looking right now at 1, 2, and 3. These seem like extremely nerdy and particular questions loaded with meaning that only fellow nerds would really get. I'm not sure how or if he'd even be able to answer, for example, anything related to "canon" because the concept of a "canon" in the first place is as far as I know a particularly nerd-specific one. Most people just see a show and go "hm", they don't fret over which particular edition should take "precedence" in in-depth discussions on the world represented by the things on the screen.

EDIT: Ha ha oh wow, I guess everyone else and their mother before me has already said much the same as the content of this post.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu May 16, 2013 11:17 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:These seem like extremely nerdy and particular questions loaded with meaning that only fellow nerds would really get.

FWIW this thread is from 2011, but people were wondering about Yamaga's words at Fanime 2010 regarding Episode 25/26 vs EoE production. (See the threads I linked to in the first post.) To clarify my previous post, I think production-related questions would be best since he (probably?) didn't have his hand in episode content matters.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri May 17, 2013 1:33 am

Well, while we're on the subject of questions, why not go for the gold? I think a really good in-universe question (if not the best in-universe question) to ask, which would also have a pretty good chance at being properly understood by a translator, is the big kahuna of Evangelion in-universe questions:

Why was Kaworu surprised to discover that the white giant he thought was Adam was actually Lilith when Seele had apparently previously told him that Adam was in Gendo?

:lol: I mean, compared to this, things like whether Ritsuko was raped or whether EoTV and EoE were concurrent are mere details. This one is the big mystery of the series, its only strikingly apparent contradiction.

Unless Yamaga had nothing to do with the DC, in which case... damn.

But I get the feeling even this wouldn't be appropriate to ask, again because it's basically a question about the story rather than the production of it.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”