Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:28 pm

not all that many die in original Gundam. Tomino was still on happy pills

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:^
The mindfuck is not over yet, Xard.

"Married" is somewhat plausible if it's going by end of the series and 2 year timeskip (who knows what happened inbetween) but yeah...and at 155cm she's short for finnish woman, that's Japanese size :hohum:

I haven't been this mindfucked since I learned that Yin from Darker than Black is actually named Kirsi and hails from land of woods, snow and log houses. The crucial difference is that Yin is kinda awesome and I'm happy to share nationality with her, SHAMMY IS ABOUT AS MUCH AIRHEAD AS TV SERIES MINMAY

AND THAT REALLY SAYS SOMETHING

Chinese get Minmay and Ranka (well at least partly), americans Claudia, french Vanessa and I'm pretty sure Sheryl is ment to be at least partly "French" (I mean it's not anything remains of French by her time in series timeline but I could swear she wrote something in french somewhere and she looks western) in addition to whatever wonky genetics Zero folks had. And since Finland seems to be the go-to country if Japanese need small western nation for whatever incomprehensible reason we get...Shammy. F*cking Shammy.

....okay WHAT THE HELL PART 2 :dizzy:

edit: ahh, it's a game character...no wonder I had no recollection

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Dr. Nick » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:34 pm

Bit of a slowpoke there, eh?

As it looks like this thread will soon reach 100 pages and a subsequent lock, we might as well end it with a low note:

As I've said in the past, Tokyo Revelation is one of my favorite so-bad-it's-good anime titles. Needless to say, I was ecstatic when I heard there's another awful Shin Megami Tensei -based OAV, called Digital Devil Monogatari, out there. This one doesn't have a laughable love polygon in it, but otherwise it's just what you'd expect: internet demons, fursonas, people exploding into pink goop, and pretty good production values and character designs for a completely retarded piece of tripe. If you enjoy watching baffling OVA-boom vomit, definitely try it out.

SPOILER: Show
Stop that, you're way too cute to be a zombie.

Virgin Fleet was another pile of crap I watched recently. It was a strangely nostalgic experience, because it's set during the Russo-Japanese War, just like Raimuiro Senkitan, which was one of my earliest experiences with truly shitty anime. Oddly enough, Virgin Fleet manages to have none of Raimu's fan-service but all of its creepiness. The central plot point is that virgin girls have special water-bending powers which can be used to slap down enemy aircraft. You know, just like in real life. Norio Wakamoto plays a comedic butt monkey character named Wakamoto, and people don't die even when they are killed. As one MAL reviewer put it:

In a lot of ways Virgin Fleet should be the poster child for the state of the anime industry in the 90s. How this series was ever picked up and dubbed shows the contempt companies must have for its customers. This show is an example of complete fail, across the board.

But hey, at least it gave me this great multi-purpose screenshot:

See how well it works. It combines practically with anything!

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:38 pm

is that some lipstick and eyeliner I see? Yet he/she looks like a guy...

View Original PostDr. Nick wrote:Bit of a slowpoke there, eh?

Well it never comes up in series and "Shammy" isn't exactly a finnish name (what the fuck kind of name is that anyway?) so I wouldn't know. I just read someone mention that today and googled it..and yeah. Turns out it's true wtf :XP:

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:01 pm

Even back in the old old days in SDF Macross there was already Finnish character??! Oh my.....

===

This weekend sales ranking for Amazon JP anime blue-ray discs

Note: any ranking above around 80 is considered success

PMMM - Puella Magi Madoka Magika
IS - Infinite Stratos
OreImo - Ore no Imotou wa konnani kawaii wake ga nai
Hana Iroha - Hana saku iroha
Ano hana - Anohi ni mita hana wo bokutachi mada shiranai

01 PMMM #1
02 PMMM #6
03 PMMM #2
04 PMMM #5
05 PMMM #3
06 PMMM #4
07 Tiger & Bunny #1
08 Ano Hana #1
09 AKIRA
10 OreImo #5
11 Tiger & Bunny #2
12 MS Gundam UC #3
13 OreImo #6
14 Star Driver #4
15 IS #2
16 MS Gundam - Counterattack of Char
17 Nichijou #1
18 Hana Iroha #1
19 Mimi wo sumaseba
20 MS Gundam F91
21 Working!! BD Box
22 Steins;Gate #1
23 OreImo #7
24 IS #3
25 Index II #4
26 REDLINE collector's edition
27 Ruroni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen (Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal)
28 OreImo #8
29 Break Blade movie #6 - Doukoku no Toride (Enclave of Lamentations)
30 Lucky Star BD Box
31 Milky Holmes #4
32 Seikon no Qweaser II #1
33 Hana Iroha #2
34 Yondemasu yo, Azazel-san #1
35 Hana Iroha #3
36 Star Driver #5
37 Steins;Gate #2
38 Natsume's Friends' Diary BD Box
39 IS #4
40 Hana Iroha #4

Observation
- after the airing of final 2 episodes of PMMM last Thursday, every PMMM title jumped back up and now dominated the top 6 slots
- Tiger & Bunny still doing strong
- Steins;Gates and Hana Iroha have dropped in ranking
- Nichijou, Qweaser II and Azazel-san now made the top 40
- AKIRA blue ray is now available for pre-order
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby drinian » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:30 pm

Ruruoni Kenshin is out on Blu-ray? Hope that gets a US release. Been meaning to see that for years.
[Became an administrator on July 1st, 2006.]

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:33 pm

Well, Virgin Fleet does have Norio Wakamoto in it, playing a character named "COMMANDER WAKAMOTO". Unfortunately, that bit of awesome just isn't enough in that OVA.

On a different note: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... -film-fest

I personally thought the "In the Forest, Under Cherries in Full Bloom" story from Blue Literature was the best. Unreal animation in that segment.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:38 pm

View Original Postdrinian wrote:Ruruoni Kenshin is out on Blu-ray? Hope that gets a US release. Been meaning to see that for years.

Ruroni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen (Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal) will be released on Aug 24 this year.

MoshiDora Ep.2 aired yesterday but still not sure how the management theory concept is going to link into the story line...

View Original PostXard wrote:And since Finland seems to be the go-to country if Japanese need small western nation for whatever incomprehensible reason we get...Shammy. F*cking Shammy.

Anime fans nowadays think more about Eila in Strike Witches than Shammy when they think about Finnish anime character (I did not even know she was from Finland until now...)
Last edited by symbv on Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby drinian » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:24 pm

I know this isn't really timely, but I just watched Genshiken 2 ep. 10: the American otaku come to visit.

I haven't laughed that loud in a long time. About half the episode was in absolutely horrible Engrish, but they did do a good job of pinpointing some of the real mistakes that American anime fans make when visiting Japan -- like assuming that normal Japanese life revolves around anime, or being loud, brash, inconsiderate of non-English speakers, and generally impolite. Not to mention how Japanese women seem to be better at English than Japanese men.
[Became an administrator on July 1st, 2006.]

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:33 pm

View Original PostDr. Nick wrote:See how well it works. It combines practically with anything!

:rofl: Nice meme candidate!

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:04 pm

Watched OreImo and Steins;Gate. Both were pretty good, although I like SG better.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:02 am

View Original Postsymbv wrote:- AKIRA blue ray is now available for pre-order

Wait, what? So where did my 1080p version come from? lol

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:27 am

View Original Posttoe mash wrote:Wait, what? So where did my 1080p version come from? lol

When did you download it then? (I guess you did not buy it?)

Anyway, this new version is the "economical price edition", costing 2927 yen in Amazon JP whereas the 2009 blu-ray release costs 6412 yen now. From the package information the new edition does not seem to have the storyboard booklet that was in 2009 release.
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:56 am

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Anyway, this new version is the "economical price edition"

Ahh, I see. My rip is from this I guess.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:10 pm

The first* thing I watched with the new monitor was the first episode of Toshokan Sensou, the next step of my noitaminA project. Good as a first episode, but it's hard to tell how it will turn out in the end. It has potential for hilarious LOLDEEP a la C from the current season, but it's balanced with heavy-handed comic relief that's either a hit or a miss. To some degree, I liked the humor quite a lot, but I can foresee it turning into a hindrance very soon. Despite being one of the most unpredictable and sneakiest seiyuus I can think of, I recognized Sawashiro's voice immediately. So there is a limit to her ever-changing voice after all.

* And right after that I rewatched clips from Perfume's Budokan performance.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:18 pm

Library Wars was a fun show. There's nothing deep about it. The comedy gets toned down once the conflicts are moved to the forefront. Was a cool premise.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:22 pm

Then I guess it should turn out just fine. There was one very awkward moment of QUALITY in the first episode that even I spotted (I usually don't even notice QUALITY even in most absurd cases).

"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:55 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Chinese get Minmay and Ranka

Wat.

Oh and Shin Megami Tensei Digital Devil Saga´s awesome, Dr. Nick.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:17 pm

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:Wat.

Well, she's 1/4 zentradi which explains her eye and hair colour (and its ability to move, lol) but as far as her human genetics go she's supposedly of chinese origin. Of course she isn't chinese in terms of nationality as China was nuked to smithereens 50 years ago already...

not exactly on topic but there's new manga coming out focusing on Kuroneko, Ore no Kouhai ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai

she really is stealing the whole show for herself and I don't mind it in the least... :lol:

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Amagami Ep.26 and OreImo Ep.14

Postby symbv » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:44 am

Amagami Ep.26
I always think the idea of adding two hidden arcs in Amagami game is brilliant -- showing love can come from some unexpected corner and it is not just romantic love one should only care about.

This last episode of the series about Miya, Junichi's younger sister, is a proper conclusion for Amagami, not least because it is the only time where the word "amagami" is spoken, and it tells us Amagami (love bite) carries a deeper meaning than the surface meaning of "lover's bite".

Watching this episode reminds me of everything I love about Amagami. You can see why Junichi could be the best elder brother, classmate and friend you could have and why Miya could be the best younger sister you could have. It is great to see how all the 6 main girls (and some other girls) are good terms with Junichi (nakayoshi) (and they are all lovely, particularly Ai and Sae) and how Miya cares about Junichi. Moreover, it is a pleasant surprise to see Risa too and this time she got on well with Miya (so close that Risa is pressing Miya to call her "ne-ne").

The part B story about "amagami" may be a bit cliche but it shows the concept of the true meaning of "amagami" pretty well, and I love the follow-up by Miya to Junichi's explanation.

Overall, in terms of satisfaction I think it is almost on par with Ep.24 which has the end of Ayatsuji's arc. Love it. Love Miya.

=====
And a very good review of OreImo Ep.14
https://blogs.emory.edu/animec/2011/04/ ... ga-nai-14/ (though I don't feel disappointed about Kyosuke's reply to the suggestive words from Kuroneko -- it is something I expected of him ;) )
This episode is a must-see for Kuroneko's fan and it shows astounding development for Kuroneko character. It has both hilarious (albeit one that may be hard to broadcast on TV) humor and emotion progress in abundance. Kuroneko's shifting attitude towards Sena, Kyousuke and (don't forget) Kirino is done really well. One of the best episodes in this tv series.

And the first week sales figure for Fractale BD vol.1 is out. It sold a grand total of 883 copies!!!!

According to the sales figure guideline -
~1000: The lowest late night animation can reach, no failure can be less than this. However, it is common sales for most of main stream kid or shonen animes which does not consider DVD sales from the start anyway. (Example: Munto, Natsu no Arashi, Fairy Tale, A lot of noitaminA)

The worry is the sales figure may have been boosted by the special nendroid edition and better evaluation of the earlier episodes. Much harder challenge will come in the later volumes....

For comparison, the siscon/brocon erotic anime Oniichan no koto in the same season has 3400 copies of Vol.1 sold.
- IS #1 is approaching 35000 copies
- Kimi ni Todoke season 2 #1 sold around 6700 copies
- Freezing #1 sold around 6200 copies
- Yumekui Merry #1 around 4800 copies
- Koreha Zombie Desuka #1 around 4000 copies
(below breakeven line)・・・・・・・・・・・・・・
- Level E #1 1900 copies
- Mitsudomoe Zouryouchuu #1 1200 copies
- FRACTALE 883 copies !!!!

At least it has 562 copies sold for Dragon Crisis Vol.1 below it...

The 2chan joke now is if 883 = 1 Fractale, how many Fractales would be Madoka's sales figure? Could it be 100 Fractales?
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Return to “Old Stickies”