Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:08 pm

Watched Hanasaku Iroha 4

Well, that episode was pretty cool.

Also watched the first episode of Letter Bee/Tegami Bachi since Tines and Chaz seem to like it.
The first episode was prettyvery impressive.
I´ll be picking up the manga in a few days too, I guess.

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:17 pm

Deadman Wonderland 02 - This was good. The OP is pretty cool I guess. Too bad about the censoring.

Anohana 02 - This is Shaping up to be a really good series. This is probably one of the anime this series you should keep an eye on if you haven't already. Also Pokemon references, Pokemon references everywhere!

Not sure why there were Sekirei, Hourou Musuko and Working!! posters here (that weren't even slightly altered). What's the connection? Also, what's the title between seki and HM?

[C] 02 - Not too sure what to think of it. I think it was a bit too fightan shounen like..

Denpa Onna 02 - Maybe it's the different subs I dl'd this time that made it MUCH better to get what was going on, but I think this ep was a lot better than 1. The new characters are pretty interesting.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:00 pm

[C] 02: I really hope he doesn't try to whiteknight for Msyu. What kind of show about economics has a protagonist who gives a shit about other people? I hope a noitaminA show isn't just going to try and make itself a fightan shounen, albeit one with great style...

Dog Days 04: Well that was...surprisingly shitty. Side-character bloat is setting in very fast indeed. Leonmichelle almost absent, her brother is a cockhat, Wakamoto doesn't get enough screentime, and the magical dog responsible for tricking Ginga into becoming a mahou shounen is called...Homura? That can't possibly be intentional, can it? I hope the show doesn't turn to shit, the first three episodes were pretty fun.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:16 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:What kind of show about economics has a protagonist who gives a shit about other people?

It will be interesting to see how he develops as the episode clearly created a parallel between Mikuni and him.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

BornIn1142
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby BornIn1142 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:50 am

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:What kind of show about economics has a protagonist who gives a shit about other people?

Spice and Wolf?
"I'm afraid you can't create tragedy out of abnormal psychology." - Andrew Sarris.

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby EvangelionFan » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:16 am

I finished Code Geass R2. It was shaky especially from the start, but the writers / Studio Sunrise got their act together in the second half making for an entertaining set of episodes. Like season one it is far from perfect, but it is entertainment that should, for the most part, satisfy viewers. I'm glad I took the time to watch it.

Code Geass R1 - 7.5/10
Code Geass R2 - 7.5/10

Also, in between both season I dedicated an evening to Macross Plus. Initially I enjoyed it yet felt underwhelmed... as I gave it time however, and also listened to the OSTs and Merridian's review on the film blog, I've come to like it a great deal. From my first viewing I'd say Macross Plus is at least an 8.0/10 for me, likely to go higher in future viewings or when I see the Movie Edition.

Edit: Additional Comments  SPOILER: Show
Code Geass R1 + R2
- I've gotten over my annoyance with the treatment of characters such as Nina and that moeblob Kyoto girl, they really came through in the second season. In contrast, Suzaku was more or less raped (metaphorically) for the first half of the season, and for that matter, the lack of Lloyd/Cecile early on didn't help me adjust to all the new characters.
- For example, the Knights of Rounds. Sure, they were kind of cool, but in the end Anya was just a tool for the writers to bring back the Marianne character (Couldn't she have just been in the world of C the whole time? That would have still been okay with all the C2 convos, right?), and Gino is there to balance out Anya. The rest of the knight of rounds, aside from the Knight of One - who is the only new character in R2 I would leave exactly as he is - were superfluous, and in a way, so was the idea of giving them all custom mechs. I understand the logic of letting the Knights test out experimental gear, but not making that gear widespread afterwards is a juvenile outline.
- And that brings me to my next point. Despite the series' efforts to be a world-changing drama, it is still centered around a cast of youths and therefore is erringly juvenile in its portrayal of governments, chain of command, and overall political sensibility. It's as if no-one in the series is truly grown-up, in fact, to apply that perspective to all characters it's likely that the sole genuine adult in the entire series is probably Kirihara from season one. I could almost consider Jeremiah in the same category, sadly, his performance at the end of season one doesn't seem link into his character in season two. Oh well.
- And finally... even with the rounded ending, I'm not sure if Lelouch and Suzaku learnt anything from their experiences. It's just that... when you get to the conclusion of a story, you expect the characters to have become wiser and better for their journey. For me, both characters were in a state of flux throughout - I could cheer them on sometimes, but never for very long because they'd go and do something that made me want to slap their sheeny animated faces. And if I didn't have either to cheer on, I felt indifferent to the proceedings (not bored, because I wanted to see where it would go, but indifferent). And so, at the end when Suzaku and Lelouch do their thing... it's as if nothing really happened for them. Except sheeny world peace. Sheeny. In its entirety, sheeny.

Macross Plus
- If there's one aspect about the Macross Plus OVA I'd like to praise right now, it's that it is sensible thoroughout - and I believe there is nothing within it to suggest otherwise. All three main characters - Isamu, Guld and Myung are all adult yet they are haunted and are hiding aspects of their pasts from themselves and each other. And all of the battles were easy to follow, advanced the story and the development of the characters, and best of all they made sense. It was refreshing as it contained none of that juvenile attitude that erred me in Code Geass, and better yet, none of that series' sheen.
Voluntary Illusion.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:04 am

Haha.

Danbooru is already filled with Anaru pictures.

Also, Yukiatsu killed Menma.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:29 am

^ Saved. :rofl:
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby EvangelionFan » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:30 pm

Amending my rating for Code Geass R2 to 7.0/10. Reasons:
- Cliché 'floating fortress', aka the glue that (should) solve certain plot problems.
- 'Happy End' syndrome
Voluntary Illusion.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:26 am

Watched Hanasaku Iroha. It was just ok. I liked the bird a lot though.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:07 am

Azumanga Daioh: IT'S OOOOVVEEERRRRRRRR

RASPBERRY HEAVEN, I'M COMING BACK TO YOOOUU

One of the best comedies of all time - with utterly unforgettable characters. Osaka is my absolute favorite:

... with Yomi as a close second favorite.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

MoshiDora, OreImo Ep.14

Postby symbv » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:35 am

1. Sad news. The author of the original light novel of MM! has just died. He was only around 30 years old. No cause of death was announced...

2. NHK finally started broadcasting "management theory bestseller" anime MoshiDora. It will be broadcast every day from Mon to Fri this and next week. The main question is how to make an entertaining anime out of a story about a high school girl who wanted to be a successful manager of her school's baseball team without losing focus on its main message about Peter Drucker's management theory....

3. No one remembers OreImo Ep.14 has just been aired??!
I am disappoint

I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:43 am

View Original PostOz wrote:Azumanga Daioh: IT'S OOOOVVEEERRRRRRRR

Yeah with AzuDai I first learned what it feels like when you get a real hollow feeling inside you when a series finishes, it was rather depressing...

symbv wrote:No one remembers OreImo Ep.14 has just been aired??!

Well, it depends on when it gets subbed rather than when it gets aired :lol:

EDIT: Aaaaaaand they're out...

And too bad about the author of MM!.. I liked the anime series at least =/

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:51 am

Horee shet, new OreImo.

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

Postby chazthesilencer » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:56 am

@:bow: Mr.Tines: Just so we are clear- I was referring to the “Wheelchair Leopardess”; but yeah, Japanese cartoons…what can you do?

Started The World God Only Knows season 2. Season 1 wasn't particularly special, but the show does have this strange magnetism about it, and everything deserves at least two chances.

Let's play a game; does anybody notice anything unusual about these shots?

Don't notice anything?

The shading on their tongues highlight the central split. (The proper name of that part of the tongue eludes me. Any doctors on the forum?)
Maybe this isn't all that uncommon, but those tongues stick out to me like...well, tongues.

Maybe their noses are casting shadows and space is bending light around their top lips...
...but I don't think so.

Has anybody seen shading like this elsewhere?
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:49 pm

View Original Postchazthesilencer wrote:Let's play a game; does anybody notice anything unusual about these shots?

TWGOK has fucking weird shading in general. Sometimes half a characters face looks like the artist accidentally picked the wrong color or something.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:53 pm

lolmanglobe

oh god WHAT THE HELL

in the never-ending series of OH GOD WHAT THE FUCK IS FINLAND/FINNISH/FINNS DOING IN THIS SHOW

out of all possible Macross girls WHY IS SHAMMY FINNISH :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:

and why does it make so much sense too... :dejected:

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:35 pm

^
The mindfuck is not over yet, Xard.

Family Status: Married

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:48 pm

@chazthesilencer
I could have sworn you said prepubescent -- 12 years old doesn't count!

@topic
Started rewatching Princess Tutu; and also got to just past the half-way mark in Mobile Suit Gundam -- and the first named character death on the Federation side (what took you so long, Tomino?)
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Return to “Old Stickies”