[Music] The Grand Music Discussion Thread

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Stryker » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:55 am

The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:12 pm

in recent weeks, I have fallen back in love with Van Halen

it's not like I ever fell out of love with VH, and be prepared because this is really going to date me, but they were one of the first big rock bands I ever recall hearing about back around the time a rather sneaky acronym of a titled album was released

my earliest memory of Van Halen was actually "Beat It" (which was also the first music video I recall seeing) with that main guitar riff, bridge solo and fills

of course, there was also "Right Now" in the Crystal Pepsi ad campaign and "Dreams" in the first Power Rangers movie (one of the few positives of that movie, LOL)

GOD, I am getting old

anyway, what piqued my interest in Van Halen again was actually finding this long, long forgotten movie, The Wild Life, from 1984, imagine Chris Penn in his Footloose days (and shape) essentially playing his more successful brother's character of Spicoli from Fast Times at Ridgemont High as if his poison of choice was cocaine instead of marijuana, and it plays like a spiritual sequel to Fast Times, Cameron Crowe even wrote and co-produced it, there's also a TON of surprisingly big names in it too

anyway, the Van Halen connection is (and no, we don't see Spicoli or his stand-in save Brooke Shields and spend all the reward money on Van Halen at his birthday party like the end credits of Fast Times say) is this film has a soundtrack that plays like Van Halen's mini-version of The Beatles Anthology, I'm exaggerating a bit but stuff on there is like buried treasure

here is a sample and here is another

I have always enjoyed the b-side material of VH, songs like "Summer Nights", "Poundcake" or "Human Beings" for example (though I do not include ANYTHING from VH III, the only awful album VH ever released that had nothing good IMO), but this Wild Life stuff is really awesome and sweet
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:07 am

^
Similarly, I'm going through a Queen revival right now. Whenever people go to the pharmacy asking for anti-depressants they should hand out Queen albums instead.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Stryker » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:23 pm

X-ray Dog - Road Rash (AKA The Most Epic Car Chase Music Ever)

Update - 9:52 PM: Never Meant to Belong - Shiro Sagisu

If you want a song that crosses inbetween both Shinji and Rei (if not, Rei at least) sorrow, this is the song. Enjoy it. Now.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:24 am

I finally got to watch the Anna Maria Jopek Farat concert after falling in love with it on disc. It's seriously one of the best live albums I've ever heard. This song is so chilling. It helps that she has a killer band, but this makes me cry and I can't even understand a word... and how's this for perfect pop?

View Original PostOz wrote:What really blew my mind was Be There... The original album version is pure magic... Another mindblowing performance was in the encore: Tobira, Terminal's opening track.
Oooh, I really loved these... I'm a sucker for female vocal pop anyway, but Japanese female vocal pop is like icing on the cake.

View Original PostTHE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:in recent weeks, I have fallen back in love with Van Halen
They were one of the first rock bands I was obsessed with myself. I think I got heavily into them after discovering AC/DC and Guns N' Roses. Funny thing about you mentioning Dreams and Power Ranges as I tore up about 5 or 6 copies of the Power Rangers Movie soundtrack on cassette mostly because of that song.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:51 am

If only Klaus Nomi and Tiny Tim collaborated.....

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:05 am

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:Oooh, I really loved these... I'm a sucker for female vocal pop anyway, but Japanese female vocal pop is like icing on the cake.

Lily Chou-Chou's Kokyuu album (aka the album containing all those songs by the fictional pop idol from Iwai's film) is one of my all time favorites. The singer began her own solo career as Salyu (with the Chou-Chou composer as the producer) and has released a few fascinating albums. I have only got my hands on Terminal, but I'm certainly going to buy the rest as well. Along with Be There and Tobira, Terminal offers songs like heartquake and Yoru no Umi Toui Deai ni, both of which I replay ridiculously often. Her most recent album, s(o)un(d)beams was released a few weeks ago. It should be quite interesting as it will be her first collaboration with a brilliant, experimental producer/songwriter.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:39 am

^ Gah, I really don't need to be getting into any other foreign pop stars/songwriters/musicians. I have enough to check out/listen to from classical music and pop stars from the west, and I hate paying the money to get imports. The sting of realizing how much it would cost to get all of Yoko Kanno and Maaya Sakamoto's work is a bitter reminder... Of course, I guess there's no harm in listening to some of her stuff online, and it seems like she only has a couple of albums anyway.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:19 am

I can't wait for the Beach Boy's version of SMiLE to be released. I honestly can't believe it's truly happening.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:37 am

View Original Postbackseatjesus wrote:I can't wait for the Beach Boy's version of SMiLE to be released. I honestly can't believe it's truly happening.
it'll probably suck.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:20 pm

^yeah, I would stick with the bootlegged, unused versions of songs from the original unreleased album like "Good Vibrations", "Heroes and Villains", etc.
View Original PostTrajan wrote:^
Similarly, I'm going through a Queen revival right now. Whenever people go to the pharmacy asking for anti-depressants they should hand out Queen albums instead.
indeed, Flash Gordon soundtrack FTW
Jimbo wrote:Funny thing about you mentioning Dreams and Power Ranges as I tore up about 5 or 6 copies of the Power Rangers Movie soundtrack on cassette mostly because of that song.
Ron Wasserman does possess that power
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”