Evangelion 2.22 release date: 03/29/11

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:46 pm

Go with Rightstuf, people. I know I am from now on. That's why 2.22 is already on my shelf.

Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 04 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:12 am

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:Go with Rightstuf, people. I know I am from now on. That's why 2.22 is already on my shelf.

Not all of us are impatient like some of you are >_>.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:27 am

The cost was exactly the same (even with Amazon prime, which I have). "Patience" is only a virtue if there's an added benefit to waiting. Moot point this close to release I guess. I'm gonna watch 1.11 and 2.22 back-to-back tonight.

In closing: na na na na na na.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:26 pm

Nitpicking for the people who haven't ordered their copy yet: On Amazon, the 2.22 DVD is only $10. (Excellent deal IMO.) Rightstuf, OTOH, has the DVD for $18. (But the 2.22 Blu-ray is about $20-$21 on either site, yes.) Of course, the prices are going to vary somewhat if you try to get free shipping or not from either site.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 04 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:59 pm

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:The cost was exactly the same (even with Amazon prime, which I have). "Patience" is only a virtue if there's an added benefit to waiting. Moot point this close to release I guess. I'm gonna watch 1.11 and 2.22 back-to-back tonight.

In closing: na na na na na na.

Benefit? What the hell are you talking about? It doesnt kill anyone to wait for something to get released. If you want to be impatient and try to get something early then go right ahead. Just dont tell people to go to a certain site because you can get it early. Besides that,Rightstuff has DVD's that can be bought a lot cheaper on Amazon. There really is no point in going there unless you want to pay more just for a chance to get something early. In any event,I cant wait for my copy of 2.22 to come in. Gonna do what your gonna do and watch 1.11 and 2.22 back to back.

Alastor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Alastor » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:56 pm

Currently listening to the commentary on the 2.22 DVD (Like a few others I bought it off of rightstuf when ordering a few other series).
Pretty interesting, IMO. Oh god the interview with Gendo's new VA keeps me picturing the It's Gendo clip from ReDeath when he was talking about his interactions with the fanbase. xD
"Are you suggesting Toji was nearly killed because his eva had a yeast infection?" - NemZ
"You know...pretty much everybody has a motive to kill Kaji. So let's just take this to it's logical conclusion and say Pen-Pen killed Kaji in a jealous fit of rage over Misato." - Trajan

Castle
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Castle » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:20 pm

The package for my 2.22 BD was pretty nice when it came out of the box but after opening it and watching it once the slipcover has multiple chips all over. Lame, guess Funimation couldn't afford quality paint.

Alastor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Alastor » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:30 pm

View Original PostCastle wrote:The package for my 2.22 BD was pretty nice when it came out of the box but after opening it and watching it once the slipcover has multiple chips all over. Lame, guess Funimation couldn't afford quality paint.

Yeah I have that problem too. It gave me a sad.
"Are you suggesting Toji was nearly killed because his eva had a yeast infection?" - NemZ
"You know...pretty much everybody has a motive to kill Kaji. So let's just take this to it's logical conclusion and say Pen-Pen killed Kaji in a jealous fit of rage over Misato." - Trajan

duexmachina
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby duexmachina » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:05 pm

i thought it was going to have a nicer inside image like 1.11 had. it just seems kinda of plain.
So knives out.

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:40 pm

View Original Postduexmachina wrote:i thought it was going to have a nicer inside image like 1.11 had. it just seems kinda of plain.

And to think the packaging would be consistent with 1.11. Well, I don't really care about the packaging, I just care whether or not they messed up the picture quality of the film (but not the sound, since it will be lossless.)

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:51 pm

I still don't like the boxart cover at all and I was hoping that Eva Unit 02 would be on the cover. $10 for the DVD on Amazon sounds like a awesome deal, but I think it would be easier for me to pick it up for $20 at "Record & Tape Traders" which is only 15 mins way from my house.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

Castle
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Castle » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:58 pm

View Original Posttomrule123 wrote:And to think the packaging would be consistent with 1.11. Well, I don't really care about the packaging, I just care whether or not they messed up the picture quality of the film (but not the sound, since it will be lossless.)

The PQ is great. There is some very minor banding in some scenes, but that happens in pretty much every anime BD. The bitrate is usually around ~35mbps a lot of the time and it really shows. I didn't notice any compression artifacts... at all. It's a good encode from Funi. The previous (Hong Kong) English subtitled release was only a BD-25 (half the size of this release) and had an average bitrate of 19mbps.

Unrelated to video quality: The dub is surprisingly decent. I like the girl who does Mari.

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:06 pm

View Original PostCastle wrote:The PQ is great. There is some very minor banding in some scenes, but that happens in pretty much every anime BD. The bitrate is usually around ~35mbps a lot of the time and it really shows. I didn't notice any compression artifacts... at all. It's a good encode from Funi.

:rei_dance: HELL YEAH! 2.22 GETS THE SAME TREATMENT AS 1.11! Thank God I pre-ordered!

Shogo-Kun
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Shogo-Kun » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:42 pm

View Original Posttomrule123 wrote:HELL YEAH! 2.22 GETS THE SAME TREATMENT AS 1.11! Thank God I pre-ordered!

Isn't that expected?
NGE was a damned good anime
EoE was an anime masterpiece
And Rebuild is nothing short of epic
Long live the EVAs!!

AVATAR Oreo Nakamura, Light and Dark

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:07 pm

View Original PostShogo-Kun wrote:Isn't that expected?

Actually, yes, that's pretty much expected. I was just making sure everything's consistent. (except for the art cover)

Alastor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Alastor » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:10 pm

Goddamn the art inside is creepy as hell.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:09 am

View Original PostEva 04 wrote:Benefit? What the hell are you talking about? It doesnt kill anyone to wait for something to get released. If you want to be impatient and try to get something early then go right ahead. Just dont tell people to go to a certain site because you can get it early. Besides that,Rightstuff has DVD's that can be bought a lot cheaper on Amazon. There really is no point in going there unless you want to pay more just for a chance to get something early.

The BD is the same price, which is all that matters (seriously, buy a damn Blu-Ray player already, people. You need it more than food and junk. Besides, you could stand to lose a few, amirite? This film demands nothing less!). I told people to go with Rightstuf because earlier is earlier.

soundwaveCA
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby soundwaveCA » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:57 pm

Got my copy and watched it over the weekend. Watched the dub as I already have the Japanese Blu ray, have to say I think it's one of the worst dubs Funimation has ever put out. I generally watch dubs and think Funi does a good job most of the time but their dub of the rebuild films has been lackluster to say the least, 1.11 was bearable but IMO 2.22 was pure pain. Mari especially was handled exceptionally poorly, why they have her dropping F & S-bombs totally took me out of the movie, not to mention it seems like her voice actress seems to be trying way to hard. Like the first film I thought the performances overall were very flat and just not appealing to listen to. Despite the bland but passable permormences the dub script is were I took the most offense as it's blatenly obvious Funi was trying to punch up the dialogue, the added swearing being the most obvious.

Interested to see what others think of the dub as I think this dub is very poor and am very disappointed in Funimations handling of the rebuild dubs in general.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:10 pm

My copy was shipped out today. I should get it in the next 2 - 3 days.

Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 04 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:51 pm

View Original PostsoundwaveCA wrote:Got my copy and watched it over the weekend. Watched the dub as I already have the Japanese Blu ray, have to say I think it's one of the worst dubs Funimation has ever put out. I generally watch dubs and think Funi does a good job most of the time but their dub of the rebuild films has been lackluster to say the least, 1.11 was bearable but IMO 2.22 was pure pain. Mari especially was handled exceptionally poorly, why they have her dropping F & S-bombs totally took me out of the movie, not to mention it seems like her voice actress seems to be trying way to hard. Like the first film I thought the performances overall were very flat and just not appealing to listen to. Despite the bland but passable permormences the dub script is were I took the most offense as it's blatenly obvious Funi was trying to punch up the dialogue, the added swearing being the most obvious.

Interested to see what others think of the dub as I think this dub is very poor and am very disappointed in Funimations handling of the rebuild dubs in general.

Your standards must be pretty damn high or something then. In any case,just got my copy of 2.22 today and I'm gonna watch it with 1.11 tonight.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”