Puella Magi Madoka Magika

Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:13 pm

I wouldn’t worry too much about it, Xard. Such knowledge hardly puts you in the minority around here. :thumbsup:
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:21 pm

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:I give your chart a 5 out of 6, Noriko is my wife.

Yeah a 5/6 from me too. That Mami pic just doesn't do it for me.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:24 pm

^ :thumbsdown:
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

Noriko is my wife
Lilith

Postby Noriko is my wife » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:33 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Madoka is under Definition 2 - esp. in opening animation

I more or less agree with your definition but the border between a general cute girl look and a loli look gets blurry at some point. Especially designs like this that are sort of abstract. We could probably get deeper into the loli-taxonomy to separate these abstract with a general appeal loli-ish designs from the dyed-in-the-wool lolis but I would rather not...

Manabi Straight will remain the best example of the "these are high-schoolers? look.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:56 pm

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:Now that's to much of a good thing.

Indeed but I just wanted to post it :toothy: .
View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:Yeah, I noticed that. Pointless isn’t the same as impossible, but I think from the standpoint of the story bring her back would have just gotten in the way so they didn’t do it.

Of course, probably there wasn't space to insert this event (if it was possible at all according to the authors) since Madoka can't make a contract (because of Homura) and Sayaka had to make one to save her friend.
View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:So will I.

Yay! One more picture to celebrate:

EDIT: do you guys take the definition of "loli" so seriously?
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:47 pm

Great, a mug for $12. :)
http://www.jbox.com/search/all/PRE083_madoka_magika

I can do one better by asking someone with a thermal mug printer that can slap images on a specially-treated mug. Cost? About $2-3 a pop. :D

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Coming soon!

Postby Killer Bee » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:50 pm

Hot off the presses, guys.

SPOILER: Show

The Bastard King
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby The Bastard King » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:09 pm

16:26 <BastardKing> KICK REASON TO THE CURB
16:26 <Fuyutsuki> BastardKing fires the kick cannon and it EXPLODES IN HIS FACE

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:07 am

Has anyone noticed this change from the Japanese wiki?

They had Episode 10 up: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/1300174500

And the name of Madoka's Witch form (aka Giant Witch!Madoka):
http://wiki.puella-magi.net/File:Ep10_K ... d_Name.png

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:40 am

View Original Posttoe mash wrote:P.S watching PMMM properly on a high-end 47" screen is a whole different experience than just a decent 23" computer one. I nearly shit myself seeing homu go badass mode on the "Mami witch".

So you managed to run the download file to 47" TV? This is why I always try to watch the show live on TV.. My PC could not connect to TV very easily...

Noriko is my wife wrote:These chests are not flat enough to be considered loli

I have seen that, but I really like mixing that comedian (yes, he is quite well known in Japan) with the girls. An even better one I have seen has Kyousuke in the guy's place. Now that would be prefect...

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:Not really sure why they didn't think to ask about bring Mami back. Maybe they were to afraid of dying themselves to risk making the wish at the time. Though I do know Homaru told Madoka wishing the dead back to life was pointless.

I am glad they did not try to bring Mami back and at the same time surprised by how they brought Mami back (in other timeline). The sight of Mami and Madoka confidently and happily looking at the job they have done to save Homura gave me many more cheers for Shaft/Shinbo to bring her back in a triumphant way (ok she still had to die later, but that's that)

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:I suppose that now the "official" pairing will probably be MadokaxHomura but I'll keep proudly shipping MadokaxMami:

The wonder for multi-character mahou shoujo is there can be so many yuri shipping you could take :)

And basically Xard got it right -- loli is more about body build (and voice too). And then there is a bit of dress sense too. Madoka is considered loli here ... And chibi is an artstyle, similar to deformed but whereas deformed can be a temporary switch of artstyle to indicate moments of embarrassment or surprise chibi artstyle is more a choice of character design.

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:Has anyone noticed this change from the Japanese wiki?

They had Episode 10 up: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/1300174500

And the name of Madoka's Witch form (aka Giant Witch!Madoka):

Not only that, but there are already corrections done in other parts of Ep.10

The big tree was not there when broadcast on TV

The reason is the big shadow that is Madoka witch seems to be everywhere in the original footage, so a big tree was constructed to hide the big shadow in one scene

2chan also discovered the platform that Homura was on has been changed, but I do not have the original video screencap to compare

I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:06 am

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:And the name of Madoka's Witch form (aka Giant Witch!Madoka):

Kriemhild? Isn't that the German name for Gudrun from the Völsunga Saga?

One would think Sayaka would make a better Gudrun, really...
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:15 am

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:

Yay! One more picture to celebrate:
So beautiful. . . it burns! :salute:

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:17 am

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:Kriemhild? Isn't that the German name for Gudrun from the Völsunga Saga?

One would think Sayaka would make a better Gudrun, really...

The full name of Madoka witch is KRIEMHILD GRETCHEN and not sure how they pick the two names. The only thing that could be said is all confirmed witches from characters of PMMM all have longer names...
Last edited by symbv on Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:32 am

Gretchen is from Faust of course: the object of Faust's desire, but ultimately she is innocent and ends up in heaven; Goethe had her act as an intercessor to God on Faust's behalf such that he is saved from Hell.

I'm rather confused as to whether Kriemhild is supposed to be an actual reference to Völsunga (or I guess if we're calling her Kriemhild, it would be a reference to Nibelungenlied). Gudrun is described as "witch-hearted" in Tolkien's version of the Völsunga although I doubt Urobuchi has read it - but at any rate, while Kriemhild is apparently not quite as evil as the version of the character called Gudrun, she still takes up the second half of the story with protracted and bloody vengeance against her brothers for their murder of her husband.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:29 am

View Original Postsymbv wrote:So you managed to run the download file to 47" TV? This is why I always try to watch the show live on TV.. My PC could not connect to TV very easily...

I watched it on a 32'' LED (I simply couldn't fit anything else in my bedroom) but actually TV-rips tend to be slightly disappointing no matter which monitor you're using.
View Original Postsymbv wrote:The wonder for multi-character mahou shoujo is there can be so many yuri shipping you could take :)

Effectively I'm quite new to this genre, so far I hardly shipped any yuri couple.
View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:So beautiful. . . it burns! :salute:

I'm burning as well!
I lack any consistency so we'll move from summer to winner (whatever, Mami is delicious during every season).
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:41 am

View Original Postsymbv wrote:So you managed to run the download file to 47" TV? This is why I always try to watch the show live on TV.. My PC could not connect to TV very easily...

This is my Xtreamer, there are many like it but this one is mine.

On a real good screen even 720p tv rips look fantastic (hell, when it can even make dvd quality animation work).

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:29 am

View Original Posttoe mash wrote:This is my Xtreamer, there are many like it but this one is mine.

On a real good screen even 720p tv rips look fantastic (hell, when it can even make dvd quality animation work).

Why do you need those things if you can simply use a HDMI cable? Anyway Full HD monitors have a native resolution of 1080p and so you'll either have to leave the upscale to the TV (and my Bravia sucks greatly in doing so) or upscale it before feeding the video to the HDTV (I uses the strongest bicubic filter offered by the EVR renderer) but in either way the picture quality won't be as good as the one of native 1080p video. There's also the issue that Japanese ISDB uses MPEG-2 rather than H.264 (the price that they're paying for early HD broadcasting) and like every broadcasting format the video is interlaced.
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:50 am

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:Why do you need those things if you can simply use a HDMI cable?

Not everyone has the luxury of having their computers in the same room as TV :)

Just having a Xtreamer with a dedicated external 2TB HDD is really easy. And the player it has is surprisingly good and has a fuckton of settings to achieve the maximum quality out of your screen.

but in either way the picture quality won't be as good as the one of native 1080p video.

Of course, but animation doesn't gain as much from 720p-->1080p (even if animefanatics say so) as much as live action anyway so a high bitrate 720p anime is still very satisfying.

There's also the issue that Japanese ISDB uses MPEG-2 rather than H.264

I have an option to reduce noise on MPEG-2 sources, it's quite handy for things like this.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:00 pm

Obsessive 2-chan-ers dug out all the differences found in ep.10 between TV broadcast version and NicoNico version

SPOILER: Show
Left is TV; Right is NicoNico

OMAKE 1 - glass-cutter for PMMM

OMAKE 2 - when PMMM is converted to kids anime

now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:18 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:OMAKE 2 - when PMMM is converted to kids anime

That would go great with the pic Killer Bee posted :lol:

Return to “Anime and Manga”