EvaGeeks' Most Watched Movies of 2011 [1]

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:54 pm

ZARDOZ IS DISPLEASED.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:02 pm

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:Manos, anyone?

The presence of Torgo makes Manos infinitely more bearable than Patch Adams, IMO.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:07 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:ZARDOZ IS DISPLEASED.

Does it freak anyone else out that 'Zardoz' sounds exactly like 'Xard' and 'Oz' put together?

Oh shit, you do pronounce 'Xard' like 'Zard' don't you? Or is the 'X' silent? 'Aard?' I've been making assumptions this entire time.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:09 pm

I'm a Sinophone. I pronouce it "Shard."
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:10 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:ZARDOZ IS DISPLEASED.
I know some who think that's a legitimately great film... unless they're pulling some epic troll.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:57 pm

^
No accounting for taste I suppose...

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, one of my favorite movies ever and for the first time of Blu-Ray!
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:09 pm

View Original PostBomby von Bombsville wrote:I'm a Sinophone. I pronouce it "Shard."

Huh. I hadn't thought about how to pronounce it at all, but now that I try I find myself alternating between this and ザード

somebody elucidate upon this mystery

also do we not have the "it is a mystery" smiley? I feel like we could use one.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby schismatics » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:56 pm

View Original PostTrajan wrote:The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, one of my favorite movies ever and for the first time of Blu-Ray!

NICE. Now go watch There Will Be Blood and pick out all the similarities. :D

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:16 am

I watched Inland Empire with my twelve-year-old brother. He made it through the whole thing, I'm so proud of him.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:12 am

Cyrus is a pretty typical indiewood film. The main thing it made me realize is how much I like John C. Reilly as an actor.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:18 am

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:I know some who think that's a legitimately great film... unless they're pulling some epic troll.

Clearly trolls. Come on... it opens with a flying stone god/idol head that vomits guns and chants "The penis is bad!"

Oh wait, that isn't the opening. The opening is... dat mustache.

:pointlaugh:
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:01 am

View Original PostBomby von Bombsville wrote:The main thing it made me realize is how much I like John C. Reilly as an actor.

John C. Reily grew up in my neighborhood. His cousin, Colleen Reily, is one of my mom's best friends, and the resemblance between them is uncanny. It's so strong, that I wish my mom was awake, so I could get clarification that she's not actually his sister. I remember when I first saw him in a movie, I was like "Holy shit, it's man-Colleen!" I met him once when her dad died, because he was in town for the funeral. My dad got drunk and made an ass of himself, but John C. Reily was too polite to tell him to shut the fuck up. I remember thinking he was a lot thinner in person. I also thought "He's on The Tim and Eric Awesome Show. His career is dead." Then again, he's also probably the best thing about that eleven minute abortion, and his episode of Tom Goes to the Mayor was one of the better ones. Then again again, there was Step-Brothers, which was unforgivable. Seemed like a pretty cool guy, though.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:18 am

View Original PostMugwumpHasNoLiver wrote:Oh shit, you do pronounce 'Xard' like 'Zard' don't you? Or is the 'X' silent? 'Aard?' I've been making assumptions this entire time.

It's pronounced Eksssahhrrrd. Like a pirate.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:05 pm

Takashi Miike's The Bird People in China: Left me speechless. Completely. I find it impossible to pinpoint what I loved about the film, but I can't even tell if I should call it a masterpiece or not. Of course I can describe and evaluate its form, but there's an otherworldly quality to its screenplay. Spellbinding.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:16 pm

View Original PostMugwumpHasNoLiver wrote:I watched Inland Empire with my twelve-year-old brother. He made it through the whole thing, I'm so proud of him.

I wanted to watch that last night for some odd reason, but I ended up going to Walmart to buy some pomade and cigarettes. I don't smoke.

View Original PostOz wrote:Takashi Miike's The Bird People in China

I still need to see this.

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:45 pm

Area 51. Not Syfy's best, but it was still good.

liquidus118
Zeruel
Zeruel

Postby liquidus118 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:59 pm

Old Boy.
A friend asked to borrow NGE from me and offered Old Boy and Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance. I'd seen the fight scene from Old Boy so decided to take him up on his offer.
I watched Old Boy this evening and...Well I certainly didn't expect what I got. A fantastic film, though. Or at least I thought so.
I'll be watching Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance tomorrow most likely, so add that to the tally.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:53 pm

I've seen Oldboy and Ms. Vengence, haven't gotten around to Mr. yet. Was it as good as the others?

liquidus118
Zeruel
Zeruel

Postby liquidus118 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:58 pm

I'll be able to tell you tomorrow, but according to the friend who's given them to me it isn't as good as Old Boy.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:12 pm

Mrs. Vengeance > Oldboy > Mr. Vengeance

Return to “Film and Video”