Favorite/Least Favorite Eva Episodes and Why

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Shogo-Kun
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Shogo-Kun » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:41 pm

Fave episodes for me would have to be...

Episode 01 dub: Spike's screaming at the beginning was win.
Episode 08: Asuka is the beast, nuff said.
Episode 11: All time favourite. Pure anime comedy at it's best.
Episode 19: In which shit gets real!
Episode 22: Asuka gets raped, nuff said.
And finally, Episode 25': Best battle, and scream, ever.
NGE was a damned good anime
EoE was an anime masterpiece
And Rebuild is nothing short of epic
Long live the EVAs!!

AVATAR Oreo Nakamura, Light and Dark

Age of Aquarius
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Age of Aquarius » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:16 am

I love the episode with the power failure, has a interesting and mysterious engineering feel to it.

Jessemon
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Jessemon » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:14 am

My only problem with Magma Diver is that the dialogue is unbearably awkward (as in, poorly done) when Asuka captures the angel. All of a sudden everyone breathes a deep sigh of relief, and Ritsuko has that line,"It looks like everything let go at once, were you worried about this operation."

Uh, the operation is STILL GOING ON!! The few lines of dialogue seemed chunky there, as well as the entire concept that anyone would actually let their guard down while Asuka is still dangerously far into a VOLCANO holding an ANGEL in a cage. Didn't they recall the last angel they fought? Shouldn't that be a firm reminder to not underestimate the angels?? Hello?

As for 11, I love it. As other posters have pointed out, it's one of the few episodes where we get a lot of character development and the introduction of various themes.

Tbh, my least favorite episode is probably 13 for the same reason why I like 11. While there is some character development with Ritsuko, the only thing we really learn from the entire episode is what the Magi system is. The first 75% of the show is too technical and boring IMO. The concept for the angel was cool, but it didn't need to be drawn out for the entire episode. At about the 3rd time they were discussing the effects of ozone, I was ready to start tuning out the episode.
"Your truth can be changed simply by the way you accept it. That's how fragile the truth for a human is." Hideaki Anno

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:31 pm

I still don't get why everyone hates "Magma Diver" although I'm sure there are some people who can't understand why I don't particularly like "Jet Alone." Anyways, as with a lot of shows NGE is greater than the sum of it's parts so all episodes are good really IMO (yes even "Jet Alone" although I still think it's not-essential).
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Seen
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Seen » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:04 pm

Fuck 'yall. The action arc was great.

And if you're thinking of episodes that look like garbage, ep 3 was the worst. Or 6.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:23 pm

I've never had a problem with the Magma Diver episode. In fact I've never have a problem with any of the episodes.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:45 am

View Original PostSeen wrote:And if you're thinking of episodes that look like garbage, ep 3 was the worst. Or 6.

Character animation in 3, 4, 6, 10, and 12 are all pretty bad. It's kind of ironic that the much-loathed 7 doesn't have this problem.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Fireand'chutes77
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Fireand'chutes77 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:58 am

...A couple of folks on the TV Tropes fora said that Rei looked like she was in pain when she was smiling.

After your space-shuttle-derived heat shield and the Eva behind it are melted by a giant death ray, it seems understandable...

The reason I found Episode 11 amusing: They say that the daddy long-legs would be the most poisonous spider in the world, if it was big enough to actually bite humans. Well... TA-DA!

The difficulties posed by the power outage were interesting too. Bless the engineer who had to design a way to launch a giant robot by hand...
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. JSDF attack ships on fire during Operation Yashima. I watched particle beams glitter in the dark near the Geofront. All these moments will be lost in time. Like LCL in rain. Time to die." ~ ANT Pogo
Asuka: founder of

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:13 am

I like Ep 11 - as a standalone episode its a good laugh with lots of light slapstick fun and as a part of the series its a curveball to make you think its always going to be like this - and then an episode or 2 later things start going dark and weird. Its episodes like this that make the 2nd half of the series all the more harrowing.

Im 'meh' about Magma Diver, but I like Jet Alone - if for no other reason than its lots of Misato and Ritski all dolled up and looking especially foxy.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:57 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Character animation in 3, 4, 6, 10, and 12 are all pretty bad. It's kind of ironic that the much-loathed 7 doesn't have this problem.
Proof that narrative effectiveness is more important than animation quality, I guess.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:07 pm

Wait what, what is wrong with character animation in episodes 3 and 12? It's no ep 15 but pretty good. Ep 4 gets by too apart from few off-model scenes.

Ep 6 is fucking shit though, no disagreeing there

There are some things Rebuild is really ruining for original eva - and nothing has suffered like ep 6 which is nigh-unwatchable in comparison

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:21 pm

Yeah, it's really a shame they didn't reanimate parts of episode 6 and a few others when they did the DC stuff. With the revisions they did, some of the episodes that were originally made within the tightest constraints ended up looking noticeably better than some of the ones that were made before the schedule fell apart :P

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:31 pm

View Original Postesselfortium wrote:Yeah, it's really a shame they didn't reanimate parts of episode 6 and a few others when they did the DC stuff. With the revisions they did, some of the episodes that were originally made within the tightest constraints ended up looking noticeably better than some of the ones that were made before the schedule fell apart :P

I always wondered why the fantastic looking D & R version of "Rei smile" scene was not edited into ep 6 but then I realized contrast to rest of the episode would've been WAY too big and noticeable

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:38 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:I always wondered why the fantastic looking D & R version of "Rei smile" scene was not edited into ep 6 but then I realized contrast to rest of the episode would've been WAY too big and noticeable

Shit why wasn't it edited into Rebuild. Corresponding scene in 1.11 is ugly as fuck and too dark into the bargain
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:52 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:Shit why wasn't it edited into Rebuild. Corresponding scene in 1.11 is ugly as fuck and too dark into the bargain

I agree that D & R one is the best looking one (I like the more angular Rei and the warm, redorangish colour schema more than the cold, moonlight bathing Rebuild one) but it would've been completely out of place, again. This time for reasons of art direction.

That said, calling the scene "ugly as fuck" is just silly. Rebuild-version is the best animationwise and technically. "Too dark" was DVD issue to boot

Anyway, ep 3 features really good character animation bits, for example Toji lifting up Shinji after punching him in the face. Ep 12 also has doctor Katsuragi and his trembling, melting hand and plenty of grat expressions by Misato. I don't see what warrants dissing their character animation.

Ep 10 is a bit clunky but decidedly average fair. Nothing exceptional but then again, not exceptionally *bad* either.

Ep 6 is the one that is truly fugly.

The first two episodes of "Asuka Arc" (8-9) have really good, vibrant character animation quality as far as action arc is considered. Though nothing there holds a candle against ep 11

Eva 02
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 02 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:54 pm

I always liked Magma Diver. Even though Asuka looks awkward through half of it, I remember it as having the best suspense upon my first time watching it. When Misato is submerging the probe and it implodes.... Great Misato scene. Then when they are submerging Asuka and it's dead quiet except for the beeps and pressure cracks.... Man it is one of the best episodes.
Mikoroshi Tou Kara Zutto

Seen
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Seen » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:22 pm

View Original PostXard wrote: Anyway, ep 3 features really good character animation bits, for example Toji lifting up Shinji after punching him in the face.

Aside from that one shot, there was little to no good-looking parts in it. Look at Misato in it. She looks horrid!

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:49 pm

View Original PostSeen wrote:Aside from that one shot, there was little to no good-looking parts in it. Look at Misato in it. She looks horrid!

Shinji, Rei, Toji, Kensuke etc. all look good. Misato's only one who is noticeably off-model but not really badly - this shit ain't ep 17 with bug people.

SenorSquiid
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby SenorSquiid » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:06 pm

I will fight anyone who likes Magma Diver.

Soo, just finished the annual Evathon. Got my girlfriend to actually watch it with her, and she enjoyed it, and she also enjoys the Beach Boys, which means she's awesome and marrying material. Anywho, tackled it with an open mind, wasn't even drunk or high, and yep. Magma Diver and jet Alone still suck.

Watching End of Eva sober for the first time in a loong time was quite an experience. i had forgotten how relentless it was.
fnord

---
I will never stop trashing Magma Diver.
Ever.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:00 pm

View Original PostSenorSquiid wrote:I will fight anyone who likes Magma Diver.
I say the same thing about both ep. 7 and 10; as drama, they're definitely sub-par by the high standards of NGE, but as exhibitions of Anno's writing and directorial talent they're superb. In fact, I think they're even more valuable to pick apart from a technical standpoint because they are so uninvolving and, essentially, unimportant from a dramatic/narrative/mythological standpoint.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”