[Music] The Grand Music Discussion Thread

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

psy
Embryo

Postby psy » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:15 am

I love Isis, but I haven't heard of any of the others, I'll check them out. :>

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:29 pm

View Original Postschismatics wrote:-ISIS
-Red Sparowes
-Pelican
I like these bands. I actually saw Pelican open for Opeth once, and they were damn good.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby schismatics » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:49 pm

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:I like these bands. I actually saw Pelican open for Opeth once, and they were damn good.

I got High on Fire when saw Opeth. Still great stuff though. Akerfeldt is a riot on stage. He even read this note that a girl threw on stage.

Pelican I've only seen open for Dredg one time and Pelican was spot on. I missed an awesome show the did with Russian Circles and it made me a sad panda.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:03 pm

View Original Postschismatics wrote:Akerfeldt is a riot on stage. He even read this note that a girl threw on stage.
He's got to be the funniest, most self-effacing metal guy I've ever seen. I always get a chuckle at his "Bubba Smith" and "Shut. TheFuck. Up." bit he does on the Roundhouse Tapes CD. What did the note say?
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby schismatics » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:35 pm

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:He's got to be the funniest, most self-effacing metal guy I've ever seen. I always get a chuckle at his "Bubba Smith" and "Shut. TheFuck. Up." bit he does on the Roundhouse Tapes CD. What did the note say?

It was about how the girl's dad was really into Opeth and that the day of his show was his birthday. So he song Happy Birthday and made general witticisms at the note. He also joked around about Porcupine Tree playing really heavy stuff during their tour for Damnation. And also about how the bassist didn't speak any language that they knew for about a year or so.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:51 am

Isis are the only "post metal/progressive metal" bands I like.

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:52 pm

View Original Postpsy wrote:I always heard from other people that Neurosis were an amazing band, I got into them recently and deeply regret having not checked them out sooner.

Good choice. Wasn't too long ago I picked up copies of Souls at Zero and A Sun That Never Sets.

As for what I added to my collection this week?

Butthole Surfers - Locust Abortion Technician
Frank Zappa - Hot Rats
Fugazi - Steady Diet of Nothing
Melvins - Ozma/Gluey Porch Treatments
Saint Vitus - Born Too Late
Swans - Cop/Young God
Last edited by AngelNo13Bardiel on Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:57 pm

View Original Postbackseatjesus wrote:Isis are the only "post metal/progressive metal" bands I like.

Then get some Cult of Luna.
They´re awesome.
You won´t regret it.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:34 pm

@AngelNo13Bardiel
Frank Zappa FTW :guitarpunk:

Been listening to The Clash a lot recently. I'm glad Joe Strummer didn't get his way or else I'd have to smoke to listen to his music.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

psy
Embryo

Postby psy » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:51 pm

The Angelic Process - Million Year Summer

The audible equivalent of standing under a rain of burning souls.

The Angelic Process is the polar opposite of casual listening. Listen to them in an average situation and you probably won't be impressed by the wall of static, distortion and tribal drum crashes thrown at your ears, sit there and let it engulf you and you may as well have converted sound into a liquid and mainlined it into your bloodstream for the effectiveness it has of communicating to every part of your body and mind. And boy, is it an experience when it does so.

Nightquest
Embryo

Postby Nightquest » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:33 pm

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:But even their first two albums were painfully bland to me.

Within Temptation is much more akin to Nightwish. Their album Mother Earth is pretty badass though; I'd at least recommend that one. The Gathering is closer to Pink Floyd meets Radiohead meets atmospheric metal than Within Temptation or Nightwish.

I've just been listening to The Gathering recently, and it's amazing how they mixed the "Radiohead atmosphere" with heavy riffs in "Mandalyion". I always demanded THAT in Radiohead - I know they are differente styles though.

Within Temptation made a BIG twist with their new upcoming album "The Unforgiven", but it's cool. It wasn't a big surprise somehow, because since "The Silent Force" they were getting "more pop" as time went by (?)
The only thing I hated about WT was the PURE GOTHIC GOTHIC atmosphere. So, I think it's a good change.

And Nightwish... DPP is not as good as their previous albums, still, they are going to make a movie for their new album.... like WT haha, it's not original, but we know it's going to ROCK.

Between Tarja's solo albums and Dark Passion Play... I prefer Tarja. I like both, but Tarja is an incredible vocalist and interpreter. Perhaps, not the best lyrical singer (or whatever), but she really makes you feel what she's singing.
"And extinguishing will now be the only way to diminish your sins,
This vortex can't be filled up again, a hole in space and time..."

Epica - "Blank Infinity"

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:37 pm

View Original PostNightquest wrote:I've just been listening to The Gathering recently, and it's amazing how they mixed the "Radiohead atmosphere" with heavy riffs in "Mandalyion".
Mandylion is a great album but I've always wondered why it's their most popular. In terms of riff-oriented Gathering I much prefer Nighttime Birds, and I think The Gathering from How to Measure a Planet? onward own both Mandylion and Nighttime Birds. I mean, yeah, it's a completely different style, but it just clicks with me more I guess.

View Original PostNightquest wrote:Within Temptation made a BIG twist with their new upcoming album "The Unforgiven", but it's cool.
I need to give them another listen through because all I remember about them was really liking Mother Earth.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:32 pm

View Original PostAngelNo13Bardiel wrote:Frank Zappa - Hot Rats
sweet, that's a good album. Frank Zappa's a pretty cool guy that--
View Original PostAngelNo13Bardiel wrote:Swans - Cop/Young God
AW SHIT FUCK YES SOUL-CRUSHINGLY PAINFUL MUSIC FROM THE BRINK OF A NIHILISTIC ABYSS :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

How do you like Swans? Is this your first foray into that portal of debauchery, or was your cherry already popped with a later album? Gira's music had a serious impact on my life when I started listening to it.

Nightquest
Embryo

Postby Nightquest » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:04 pm

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:Mandylion is a great album but I've always wondered why it's their most popular.

Well... it's just that... to be honest, that's the only album I downloaded xD
But I'll go for "Nighttime Birds" then.

I need to give them another listen through because all I remember about them was really liking Mother Earth.

They are about to release a conceptual album with a short film called "Mother Maiden"; check this out:

The single, "Faster" (without the little movie):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDJpf2mQ0w4

With the film:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGdzgcDllYE

I haven't understood the whole story yet, but they are going to tell the story in 3 or 4 videos.

Here's a fair review of the upcoming album, track by track:
http://metalmarketing.co.uk/2011/02/04/within-temptation-the-unforgiving/

Epica - "Blank Infinity"

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:32 pm

View Original PostNightquest wrote:Well... it's just that... to be honest, that's the only album I downloaded xD
But I'll go for "Nighttime Birds" then.
Download How to Measure a Planet? too. The leap from Nighttime Birds to Planet is roughly like Radiohead's one from The Bends to OKC.

View Original PostNightquest wrote:They are about to release a conceptual album with a short film called "Mother Maiden"; check this out:
Oooh, very interesting. Thanks for the links.

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby schismatics » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:03 am

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:Then get some Cult of Luna.
They´re awesome.
You won´t regret it.

Truth be told son. Somewhere Along the Highway and The Beyond are fabulous.

Also - I'm just American Trash

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|
Admin Emeritus :-{|

Postby Fazmotron » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:48 am

NEW RADIOHEAD ALBUM
5 DAYS TO WAIT
TOO LONG

[url]http://www.thekingoflimbs.com/[/url]
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

Nightquest
Embryo

Postby Nightquest » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:48 am

View Original PostFazmotron wrote:NEW RADIOHEAD ALBUM
5 DAYS TO WAIT
TOO LONG

Nice! Thanks for the link.

My friends is going to be so excited. And I really want to hear some new stuff from Radiohead.

This year I have many upcoming albums to my list:
* Quarterpast (Mayan Proyect - by Mark Jansen from Epica)
* Imaginarum (NW)
* The Unforgiven (WT)
* Tarja's Classic Proyect
* The King of Limbs (Radiohead)
* Epica's new album

Epica - "Blank Infinity"

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:49 am

View Original PostFazmotron wrote:NEW RADIOHEAD ALBUM
5 DAYS TO WAIT
TOO LONG

christ, says something how out of loop I am these days...I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW THEY HAD BEEN WORKING ON NEW ALBUM ;A;

needless to say I can't wait for this

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby schismatics » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:59 am

View Original PostXard wrote:christ, says something how out of loop I am these days...I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW THEY HAD BEEN WORKING ON NEW ALBUM ;A;

needless to say I can't wait for this

Don't worry I didn't have any idea another album was coming out either. :D To be honest I was kinda despairing a week ago about how Radiohead does need another album to come out. :lol:

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”