NGE Ep.24 Script First and Second Drafts

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:32 am

She doesn't come around here much anymore, as a few members really pissed her off quite some time ago. I doubt she would mind someone else chipping in, regardless.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby 1731298478 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:36 pm

I don't know if this is the right place for it, but I thought I would try and post summaries of the two June interviews Ilari scanned (something that I am very thankful for). I thought a lot of the discussion around this topic was really interesting, and I especially appreciate all the amazing work LiLi did bringing everything to light. I don't know if this is the right place for it, because the scope of the June interviews is very broad. Only the first part of the first interview deals with Kaworu and episode 24 (the second part deals with EoTV), and the second interview deals with a variety of topics.

Here's the summary of the second interview. I'm still working on the first at the moment. I would strongly appreciate corrections or suggestions regarding things I may have misunderstood or misintrepreted.

This interview contains Nobita Nobi as a special guest. Nobi is a manga/dojinshi author and critic who writes dojinshi, shounen-ai, and criticism under the name Nobita Nobi and writes elsewhere under the name Nariko Enomoto (I assume, but I'm not certain, that this is her real name). She began working on Eva dojinshi during the series.

At the beginning of the interview Anno mentions reading a piece by Nobi in a book by Shunichi Karasawa. According to the footnote, that was an anthology of Eva criticism called "Third Milennium," and the article there would be revised and published by Nobi (as a dojinshi-like work, I think) as "Otona wa Wakatte Kurenai" ("Adults Don't Understand"). That work contained a "psychological" anaylsis of Evangelion and Anno himself based upon R. D. Laing's book "The Divided Self." Later, a compendium of Nobi's theoretical writings was published, also titled "Otona wa Wakatte Kurenai." It's listed on Amazon here.

Her website is here. This is her twitter. There is some info on her Eva dojinshi here and here. Her theoretical works on Eva are also listed there. A later interview between Nobi and Anno is here.

1. Anno's Love of Shojo Manga
Anno wept a little when he read Nobi's contribution to Karasawa's book. Nobi cried many times during Evangelion, beginning with Rei's monologue in Episode 14. Nobi is asked about her theory that the artists and viewers are locked in battle. She felt that she was in a battle with Anno. Anno thinks his first battle was with his staff. In junior high school, Anno had a friend - nowadays, he says, you would call her a girlfriend - named Ritsuko, who had a major impact on his life and introduced him to sci-fi and shojo manga. Aside from titles like "Devilman" and "Team Astro," Anno was largely uninterested in shonen manga. However, Anno doesn't think he would be able to do justice to a shojo manga in an anime adaptation. Anno would read "Bessatsu Margaret," "Ribon," "Hana to Yume," "Betsucomi," and, at one point, even "Ciao." Among the authors he likes, he mentions Fusako Kuramochi, Jun Ichikawa, Shinji Wada, Yu Azuki, Mariko Iwadate, Hideko Tachikake, Yukari Takahashi, Yumiko Oshima, and Taeko Watanabe.

2. Devilman and Evangelion
Nobi sees similarities between Devilman and Evangelion. This is due to the fact that Shinji's mother is ultimately, or ulitmately becomes, a kind of angel. As a result Shinji questions his self-identity. In the end, the foundations of human identity are overthrown. Anno says that the similarities to Devilman in this sense were unconscious; he noticed them afterwards. Evangelion follows the pattern of Ultraman and Devilman, in the sense that an enemy is defeated, but the power of that enemy is absorbed. Human beings make a copy of the angels, and then combine it with the human heart or mind.

3. Anno and Miyazaki
Anno was asked to write a commentary for the Studio Ghibli boxset; however, in it, he criticized Miyazaki. Anno and Miyazaki are basically at one in their approaches; however, Miyazaki aims for a broad appeal, and Anno does not. Miyazaki risks ending up at "Sazae-san." In Anno's view, Miyazaki's greatest work is volume seven of the Nausicaa manga. If I understood the next part correctly (Anno laughs a lot telling this), when Nausicaa was being serialized in Animage Anno used to visit Miyazaki's office and ask to see the part of Nausicaa currently in progress; Miyazaki wouldn't let him, so he would go in and look at them when Miyazaki wasn't there. Anno wished that Miyazaki would stop making anime and focus on the Nausicaa manga. Miyazaki struggled greatly with how to end the manga; now, Anno completely undertands how Miyazaki felt. According to Anno, Evangelion ended up being a cross between Devilman and volume seven of the Nausicaa manga. At an "ideological" level, Anno had to arrive at the same answers. Nobi was deeply moved by the Nausicaa movie when she first saw it, but less impressed after reading volume 7 of the manga. The darkness of the manga is eliminated in the film. However, for Nobi, Anno goes in the opposite direction, and is a kind of "black Miyazaki."

4. The "Onanii Show"
Anno only makes works for himself, and not for an audience. However, making works is still the only way he can relate to other people. This relationship is like a "masturbation show," because other people are watching him act to please himself. They decide by themselves how they react to it. He does not directly "pleasure" others. It requires some narcissism to be an author; someone entirely lacking self-confidence wouldn't "expose" themselves.

5. Anno's Vegetarianism
Anno's vegetarianism is the result of the fact that he has no interest in ordinary life, including eating. When he was young his ideal sort of food was what astronauts would take into space. Today he regularly uses "Energy In." He stopped eating meat at a young age. He wouldn't eat school meals. When he was in his second year of elementary school, a teacher made him stay behind until he ate his meal. At 8PM the teacher gave up. Anno won't do things others force him to do. He would rather have died than eat that meal. His parents couldn't affect him, either. His body is no longer accustomed to eating meat, and now the taste makes him physically sick. He has few "worldly" desires. He has very little desire for food or money. His sexual desire is average.

X. The AT-Field
At the bottom of one section of the interview there are a few quotes besides images of AT-Fields. I assume these quotes are from Anno, and also came from the interview. There Anno says that the image of opening an AT field is one of violation. It is based on the tearing of clothes. Clothes are the most basic form of protection for human beings. Originally the AT-Field was used to explain why only Evas could damage Angels. Later on Anno wondered what the meaning of it was. He later felt it was the barrier of the heart or mind. It protects what is most vaulable to human beings.

6. Cel Anime and Expression
The interviewer feels that, behind the desire of women for "June"-like manga and stories, lies the problem of the family, and this is something Eva portrays. However, Anno feels he could not portray human relationships well because of the limitations of the medium, which he discusses. Precisely because of those limitations one must try to remain fixated on "human drama."

7. The Production of Eva
When Anno thought of Eva, he wanted to create an anime that would surpass "Gundam" and "Yamato." However, he became dissatisfied with his early ideas. The script for the first episode took half a year to complete. He was stuck after that, so he wrote episodes 5 and 6, and then came back to episode 3. He felt he had to go beyond regular TV anime in developing realistic characters in episodes 3 and 4. However, the first six episodes left the staff drained and feeling weighed down by the heavy mood, so he felt it necessary to lighten the feeling of the series for episodes 7, 8, and 9. This early stage of production took 4 or 5 months in total; the storyboards were done in two months. However, the schedule became more and more constrained. The series was only finished thanks to the supreme efforts and talents of the staff. Episode 26 was completed in only three days. Episode 24 was put together almost entirely by Masayuki alone in the space of three weeks.

8. Rei's Monologue / Anno's Depression
I made attempt at a translation here. When Anno was working on Rei's monologue in Episode 14, he wanted to develop her in a "schizophrenic" direction, and wondered how to portray a kind of madness. He was loaned a magazine-like book on mental illness that contained a poem by someone who suffered from a mental distorder, and that triggered his imagination. Anno experienced a kind of nervous breakdown following Eva's conclusion. He no longer wanted to see people, and climbed up onto the roof of the Gainax building to see if he really wanted to live or to die. In the end he wanted to live, but after making Eva he felt he had nothing left inside of him.

9. Asuka's Period
Nobi is not sure that female manga writers will be able to match the imagination of the male authors. Anno wanted to do a longer story involving Asuka's menstruation, but because he felt it was impossible for a man to write, he abandoned it. Only a single scene remained. He feels he can't match the way Nobi portrayed Asuka in the doujinshi "Absolute Safety Razor" (or "Absolutely Safe Razor" - "Zettai Anzen Kamisori").

10. Group Mentality
Nobi was irritated by male Rei otaku at Comiket. Anno emphasizes with her irritation. Anno says that Aum demonstrated that some people are driven to be a part of a group. Anno realized how easy it is to become a cult leader. However, the problem is that human beings also cannot live alone and must somehow depend on others. In addition, people nowadays, including Anno and Gainax, make and use film and anime as a kind of drug.

11. What Anno is Watching Now
He is watching some "Kodocha," but he is especially enjoying "Gekisou Sentai Carranger," a Super Sentai series which parodies the Super Sentai genre. He bought an RV Robo, although the clerk assumed he was buying a present for a child, and Anno had to ask him or her not to wrap it.[/url]
Last edited by 1731298478 on Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:52 pm

^Stop being so awesome. No, really, stop it.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:16 pm

Well what do you know, the schedule becoming constrained does fit in nicely with Yamaga's Fanime 2010 comments. :tongue:

Thanks so much for this summary, Number-kun, we're really very lucky to have you here! ^_^ Very fascinating stuff! (And an interesting point that the Renewal/Platinum Booklets make is Episode 04 was the only one Anno didn't work on.)

I haven't heard of this doujinka myself (I'm assuming they don't (just) do hentai or maybe they actually do clean stuff?), but maybe I'll see if a story or two of theirs is around online and/or slightly interesting to me.

(And suddenly a mental image of adult!Shinji as Anno-ish instead of Gendo-ish popped into my head. >_>)
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

gwern
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby gwern » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:47 pm

View Original Post1731298478 wrote:I don't know if this is the right place for it, but I thought I would try and post summaries of the two June interviews Ilari scanned (something that I am very thankful for).

I think it's as appropriate as anywhere. Here, it's still connected to its sourcing/context.

At the beginning of the interview Anno mentions reading a piece by Nobi in a book by Shunichi Karasawa. According to the footnote, that was an anthology of Eva criticism called "Third Milennium," and the article there would be revised and published by Nobi (as a dojinshi-like work, I think) as "Otona wa Wakatte Kurenai" ("Adults Don't Understand"). That work contained a "psychological" anaylsis of Evangelion and Anno himself based upon R. D. Laing's book "The Divided Self." Later, a compendium of Nobi's theoretical writings was published, also titled "Otona wa Wakatte Kurenai." It's listed on Amazon here.

Her website is here. This is her twitter. There is some info on her Eva dojinshi here and here. Her theoretical works on Eva are also listed there. A later interview between Nobi and Anno is here.

As a proponent of psychological interpretations, this makes me wistful. What have my Japanese counterparts already thought & written? What questions did she ask? (The interview doesn't look very interesting in Google Translate, although I wonder what Anno's final reply means - "I think it is minimal thanks to the people who take out money. 'Eva' for the yuan from taking more than enough is enough.")

1. Anno's Love of Shojo Manga
Anno wept a little when he read Nobi's contribution to Karasawa's book.

Manly tears of hot passion!

Anno thinks his first battle was with his staff.

I don't follow. Anno is talking about a creative battle here, getting his staff to think of new Eva-ish ideas, or something?

In junior high school, Anno had a friend - nowadays, he says, you would call her a girlfriend - named Ritsuko, who had a major impact on his life and introduced him to sci-fi and shojo manga. Aside from "Devilman" and "Team Astro," Anno was largely uninterested in shonen manga.

Interesting background. "The name Ritsuko came from a friend of mine in middle school. I borrowed from everywhere."

However, Anno doesn't think he would be able to do justice to a shojo manga in an anime adaptation. Anno would read "Bessatsu Margaret," "Ribon," "Hana to Yume," "Betsucomi," and, at one point, even "Ciao." Among the authors he likes, he mentions Fusako Kuramochi, Jun Ichikawa, Shinji Wada, Yu Azuki, Mariko Iwadate, Hideko Tachikake, Yukari Takahashi, Yumiko Oshima, and Taeko Watanabe.

Huh?! I know these are 1996 interviews, but _Kare Kano_ was less than 2 years away. Quite a volte-face. Wonder what happened there.

2. Devilman and Evangelion
Nobi sees similarities between Devilman and Evangelion. This is due to the fact that Shinji's mother is ultimately, or ulitmately becomes, a kind of angel. As a result Shinji questions his self-identity. In the end, the foundations of human identity are overthrown. Anno says that the similarities to Devilman in this sense were unconscious; he noticed them afterwards. Evangelion follows the pattern of Ultraman and Devilman, in the sense that an enemy is defeated, but the power of that enemy is absorbed. Human beings make a copy of the angels, and then combine it with the human heart or mind.

Well, that's pretty common knowledge by now. Nice to have Anno agreeing with Sadamoto about Devilman, I guess.

In Anno's view, Miyazaki's greatest work is volume seven of the Nausicaa manga. If I understood the next part correctly (Anno laughs a lot telling this), when Nausicaa was being serialized in Animage Anno used to visit Miyazaki's office and ask to see the part of Nausicaa currently in progress; Miyazaki wouldn't let him, so he would go in and look at them when Miyazaki wasn't there. Anno wished that Miyazaki would stop making anime and focus on the Nausicaa manga. Miyazaki struggled greatly with how to end the manga; now, Anno completely undertands how Miyazaki felt. According to Anno, Evangelion ended up being a cross between Devilman and volume seven of the Nausicaa manga. At an "ideological" level, Anno had to arrive at the same answers. Nobi was deeply moved by the Nausicaa movie when she first saw it, but less impressed after reading volume 7 of the manga. The darkness of the manga is eliminated in the film. However, for Nobi, Anno goes in the opposite direction, and is a kind of "black Miyazaki."

Another source on the pile for this 'collage anime'. How the list doth grow...

X. The AT-Field
At the bottom of one section of the interview there are a few quotes besides images of AT-Fields. I assume these quotes are from Anno, and also came from the interview. There Anno says that the image of opening an AT field is one of violation. It is based on the tearing of clothes. Clothes are the most basic form of protection for human beings. Originally the AT-Field was used to explain why only Evas could damage Angels. Later on Anno wondered what the meaning of it was. He later felt it was the barrier of the heart or mind. It protects what is most vaulable to human beings.

Interesting. I wonder how late we can date the development of the AT Field into 'the light of the soul'. (It'd be interesting to chart the development of Eva over time. Details like this could add up to something very interesting and offer an aid in interpretating contemporary statements.)

6. Cel Anime and Expression
The interviewer feels that, behind the desire of women for "June"-like manga and stories, lies the problem of the family, and this is something Eva portrays. However, Anno feels he could not portray human relationships well because of the limitations of the medium, which he discusses. Precisely because of those limitations one must try to remain fixated on "human drama."

'human drama' isn't about relationships? I'd be particularly interested in this and the following section.

The script for the first episode took half a year to complete. He was stuck after that, so he wrote episodes 5 and 6, and then came back to episode 3. He felt he had to go beyond regular TV anime in developing realistic characters in episodes 3 and 4. However, the first six episodes left the staff drained and feeling weighed down by the heavy mood, so he felt it necessary to lighten the feeling of the series for episodes 7, 8, and 9. This early stage of production took 4 or 5 months in total; the storyboards were done in two months. However, the schedule became more and more constrained. The series was only finished thanks to the supreme efforts and talents of the staff. Episode 26 was completed in only three days. Episode 24 was put together almost entirely by Masayuki alone in the space of three weeks.

Three days?!! Holy shit! I knew there was a time-crunch but I had no idea it was that bad. (New mantra for Shinji: 'I must not pursue an anime career, I must not pursue an anime career, I must not pursue an anime career...')

This is for me the most interesting part. Is that really true, episode 26 was done in 3 days? I mean, what exactly are we talking about here - the time from when the script was finalized and the animators started inking up cels to when the last music and dub tracks were burned onto a disc and it was ready for broadcast?

Well. I am even more impressed by episode 26. 'Show the process of our breakdown indeed'.

(Also, I am now even more of a believer in Okada. If the first episode could take 6 months to write, then surely Anno could procrastinate for months on the ending scripts...)

9. Asuka's Period
Nobi is not sure that female manga writers will be able to match the imagination of the male authors. Anno wanted to do a longer story involving Asuka's menstruation, but because he felt it was impossible for a man to write, he abandoned it. Only a single scene remained. He feels he can't match the way Nobi portrayed Asuka in the doujinshi "Absolute Safety Razor" (or "Absolutely Safe Razor" - "Zettai Anzen Kamisori").

Hm. I guess that surviving scene would be the *first* 'kimochi warui' scene, in the bathroom? Interesting, but... yeah. I'm not sure where such a story would go. The best direction I can think is the 'desperate maturing woman' direction in the vein of 'you won't even hold me!' or 'look at me'. Food for thought in connection with 2.0 and the ending of EoE...

I wonder if that doujinshi has been translated? I'd love to know what Anno feels a true Asuka is, both as an Asuka fan and as a comparison with _2.0_ and _Re-Take_. But alas, when I google "Zettai Anzen Kamisori", I get some 1980s series in all the hits, and nothing Eva-related. (Which is actually pretty strange in its own right.)

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:I haven't heard of this doujinka myself (I'm assuming they don't (just) do hentai or maybe they actually do clean stuff?), but maybe I'll see if a story or two of theirs is around online and/or slightly interesting to me.

Like that matters? Anno doesn't exactly have clean hands himself when it comes to hentai matters. (And no, that's not an EoE joke.)

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:09 pm

View Original Postgwern wrote:Like that matters? Anno doesn't exactly have clean hands himself when it comes to hentai matters. (And no, that's not an EoE joke.)

That's not my point at all. First off, I translated a few H-doujin myself, so I could care less about adult content. I'm just somewhat picky when it comes to characterizations (and sometimes pairings, but it really boils down to how the characters themselves are portrayed) in my doujinshi.

Also, forgot to reply to this earlier: I'm somewhat amused to see that Anno channeling Devilman was subconscious on his part; I thought for sure it was intentional. :lol:

Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby 1731298478 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:36 pm

Edit: I had better refrain from posting things about the other interview until I go through the material again, and more closely, and actually try to summarize it. ^^;;
Last edited by 1731298478 on Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:27 am, edited 4 times in total.

gwern
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby gwern » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:44 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:That's not my point at all. First off, I translated a few H-doujin myself, so I could care less about adult content. I'm just somewhat picky when it comes to characterizations (and sometimes pairings, but it really boils down to how the characters themselves are portrayed) in my doujinshi.

In that case, I'm not really sure what you were saying.

View Original Post1731298478 wrote:The second part of the first JUNE interview also confirms Yamaga-san's comments about Anno intending EoTV from an early stage. ^^

You're really enjoying this whole 'i has a sekrit' thing, aren't you?

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:50 am

View Original Postgwern wrote:In that case, I'm not really sure what you were saying.

I was making a general "must check out this doujinka's works sometime" comment, nothing more.

gwern
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby gwern » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:14 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:I was making a general "must check out this doujinka's works sometime" comment, nothing more.

Ah. Well, in that case, if you do find a copy of the cited Asuka doujinshi, please remember to tell me! (Even if it is hentai.)

Noriko is my wife
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Noriko is my wife » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:49 pm

Thanks for this!
A little clarification about something though if it's possible.
View Original Post1731298478 wrote:Aside from "Devilman" and "Team Astro," Anno was largely uninterested in shonen manga.

Is this just about a certain period in his life like after meeting that girl? Because it's inconsistent with other statements like saying Getter Robo "was like a bible to me".

Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby 1731298478 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:19 pm

View Original PostNoriko is my wife wrote:Thanks for this!
A little clarification about something though if it's possible.

Is this just about a certain period in his life like after meeting that girl? Because it's inconsistent with other statements like saying Getter Robo "was like a bible to me".

That's definitely my mistake. He names those two titles, but certainly not as an exhaustive list (he adds "to ka" after "Devilman"). Thanks very much for mentioning that!

gwern wrote:I don't follow. Anno is talking about a creative battle here, getting his staff to think of new Eva-ish ideas, or something?

He says in the context that his staff aren't motivated by money, but only whether the work is interesting or not. He doesn't elaborate, but it might refer to something like the various tensions experienced by the staff during the making of Evangelion and the difficulty Anno had in keeping everything together.

gwern wrote:I wonder if that doujinshi has been translated? I'd love to know what Anno feels a true Asuka is, both as an Asuka fan and as a comparison with _2.0_ and _Re-Take_. But alas, when I google "Zettai Anzen Kamisori", I get some 1980s series in all the hits, and nothing Eva-related. (Which is actually pretty strange in its own right.)

I don't know if Anno meant he thought Nobi's Asuka was altogether better or that he simply couldn't do justice to female characters the way Nobi could (with the story giving an example). It seems very hard to find information on Nobi's Eva dojinshi in Japanese, so I can't imagine they would have been translated. The name "Zettai Anzen Kamisori" has been used for a few things, so that might make things harder as well.

The second half of the first part of the interview is, at least for me, ambiguous enough that I'll probably wait some time before coming back to it. I might try doing the Kaworu part though.

Additional Edit - Coming back to this, briefly:

gwern wrote:You're really enjoying this whole 'i has a sekrit' thing, aren't you?

I went back and tried looking at other interviews online where Anno talks about the ending. I think this statement of Okada's is certainly true:

Okada wrote:Because many anime and *seiyuu* magazines are asking Mr. Anno [about the last two episodes], and every time his answer changes. It's "confused, confuse-er, confuse-est." He's not happy right now.

If reading Anno's statements confused Okada, I'm twenty or thirty times more confused by them, trying to read them in Japanese ^^;; I will say, Anno's statements about EoTV in June (April 1996) seem quite different in tone to those made in interviews later in the year, which is why they surprised me. I get the impression that his understanding of what's going on in EoTV changed over time. But, maybe I'm just misunderstanding what he is saying.

Anyway, I think the statement was premature, in the sense that I don't think I understand right now exactly what Anno is trying to communicate in that part of the interview. Maybe later I will understand it better.

gwern
Ireul
Ireul

Concurrency

•      
  •      

Postby gwern » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:16 pm

I don't know if it's been covered yet or whether our gracious translators recognize the passage or not (it may've been added & deleted from later drafts), but I just found an interesting translation by Bochan_bird:

http://eva.onegeek.org/pipermail/oldeva/1999-March/026419.html wrote:>From EVANGELION ORIGINAL III, Episode 24, P. 24-38
After Kaworu has been crushed by Shinji/Eva-01, there is a SEELE monolith scene that was ultimately cut from the film. In this scene, Keel says:
"All the angels born of Adam have been destroyed, making humankind the last remaining angel. The promised time has come - the time to invest a soul in Lilith and cleanse this impure world."

First time I read it, I thought Bochan_bird was quoting a cut EoE scene.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:19 am

gwern asked me about this and I suddenly had one of those bursts of inspiration this morning... Feel free to archive this in the Wiki and blah blah.

Evangelion Original III, #24, p. 38-39

(These deleted scenes occur in between Kaworu's death and the final beach scene.)

◦ Command Center

All monitors synchronously return to normal.

Aoba: Image restored.
Hyuga: A.T. Field has vanished. No readings detected.
Aoba: Eva Unit 01 located.
Hyuga: Termination of target confirmed.

Misato, silent.

◦ Seele Assembly Room

The lined-up monoliths.

Keel: The Angels who were the Children of Adam have all perished. Only the final Angel — humanity, us — remains.
Keel: The promised day has come. When Lilith is enwombed with a soul*, this impure world shall be cleansed.

* Alternatively, is this referring to Lilith being “impregnated” with all the souls of humanity?

◦ Command Center

Fuyutsuki: There’s not much time left.
Ikari: Indeed. Everything is drawing to a close … and then it will begin.

◦ Cage (enclosed by white walls)

Eva-01’s right hand being washed.
The Angel’s red body fluid running off it.
Misato, calmly watching.

Misato: All of the Angels have been defeated. Humanity has prevailed. The only enemy I have left…

Misato, looking upon Eva-01’s face…

Misato: …is this Evangelion.

Eva Unit 01, without comment.

Original Japanese:
SPOILER: Show
○発令所

一斉に正常にもどるモニター。

青葉「映像、回復」
日向「A.T.フィールド消滅、反応なし」
伊吹「エヴァ初号機発見」
日向「目標の殲滅を確認しました」

沈黙のミサト。

○セーレの会議室

並ぶモノリス。

キール「アダムの子供である、使徒は全て滅んだ。残った最後の使徒は我々人類だけだ」
キール「リリスに魂を宿し、不浄な世界を浄化する、約束の日は来たのだ」

○発令所

冬月「時は落ちたな」
碇「ああ、全ては終わりに、これから始まるのだ」

○白い壁に囲まれたケイジ。

洗浄されている初号機の右手。
流れている使徒の赤い体液。
を、静かに見つめているミサト。

ミサト「使徒は全て倒した。人類は生き残った。後に残った私の敵は――」

ミサト、初号機の顔を見て――

ミサト「このエヴァンゲリオンだけね」

何も語らない、エヴァ初号機。
Last edited by Reichu on Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:26 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Misato: All of the Angels have been defeated. Humanity has prevailed. The only enemies I have left…

Misato: …are the Evangelions.

This part is especially awesome.

I really wish the entirety of this deleted stuff you translated was in the episode.

Thanks a bunch!

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:37 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:gwern asked me about this and I suddenly had one of those bursts of inspiration this morning... Feel free to archive this in the Wiki and blah blah.

Some minor comments...

View Original PostReichu wrote:Keel: The promised day has come. When Lilith is enwombed with a soul*, this impure world shall be cleansed.

* Alternatively, is this referring to Lilith being “impregnated” with all the souls of humanity?

As we are not sure if the 魂 in the original text (below) is singular or plural, it is hard to say if it is a soul or souls. It does not say what kind of soul it is either. And を宿し means "to be impregnated with" or "conceive".
キール「リリスに魂を宿し、不浄な世界を浄化する、約束の日は来たのだ」

===
It seems the following was not translated....

○発令所

冬月「時は落ちたな」
碇「ああ、全ては終わりに、これから始まるのだ」

===

View Original PostReichu wrote:Misato: All of the Angels have been defeated. Humanity has prevailed. The only enemies I have left…

Misato: …are the Evangelions.

I think the context means Misato was talking about only one Evangelion, the one she was looking (この), and there is だけ to translate. So my translation would be "... is only this Evangelion."

ミサト「このエヴァンゲリオンだけね」
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:06 pm

symbv: Whoops, dunno how I managed to skip over the Gendo/Fuyu bit... Fixed.

Yeah, I looked up を宿し ("enwomb" means the same thing as "to be impregnated", but I thought it sounded nicer). I wonder why bochan_bird chose to avoid the pregnancy connotations in his translation.

I think the context means Misato was talking about only one Evangelion, the one she was looking (この), and there is だけ to translate. So my translation would be "... is only this Evangelion."

Righty-o. I didn't forget about だけ, though -- it's at the beginning of the sentence, "The only enemy I have left...". Sounds more natural.

Misato specifically referencing Eva-01 doesn't make much sense. What about Eva-02? Or the mass-produced Evas that she knows are out there somewhere? Why Eva-01 specifically? If this had been modified to be a general reference to Evas, I would have liked to see it in the episode -- it's a nice callback to episode 16.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:12 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Misato specifically referencing Eva-01 doesn't make much sense. What about Eva-02? Or the mass-produced Evas that she knows are out there somewhere? Why Eva-01 specifically? If this had been modified to be a general reference to Evas, I would have liked to see it in the episode -- it's a nice callback to episode 16.

Well, Eva-01 is the one that is used in the Third Impact, right? I just thought that perhaps it is Misato thinking of trying to prevent Third Impact that led her to say those words....
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:40 pm

There was also a time or two where Eva-01 was singled out for special treatment and precaution that they showed Misato questioning. 'What's so special about Unit 01?!' she aggressively asked Ritsuko once, I think during Leliel. Considering in 23 Ritsuko had such a breakdown and it became apparent she was part of a subversive plot, I guess Misato pieced things together. There's also the chance that some of Kaji's info he passed onto her mentioned some of this.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:35 pm

Too bad the scene with Misato/the other scenes weren't used, it would have been a perfect lead-in to EoE. (And I guess it also implies how EoE was the original intended ending.)

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”