Sexism in NGE?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:33 pm

But in turn physics alone cannot explain anything about physics as it stands on axioms and paradigms that are unprovable by methods based on said rules...

suddenly, collapse to postmodern know-nothing :D

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:01 pm

View Original PostoOoOoOo wrote:Biology is exaggerated by social conditioning. Therefore there is also a social component. Let's call this... gender.
View Original PostAllemann wrote:Nothing makes sense outside of biology. Everything must eventually be reduced to biological explanations. Even gender.
View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Nothing makes sense outside of physics. Everything must eventually be reduced to physical explanations. Even gender.
View Original PostXard wrote:But in turn physics alone cannot explain anything about physics as it stands on axioms and paradigms that are unprovable by methods based on said rules... suddenly, collapse to postmodern know-nothing
I had a great laugh at this train of replies... EvaGeeks: Just when you thought it was safe from pretentiousness...
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:10 am

View Original PostWonderBug wrote:paternity leave

I don't think I agree with you at all on this one. The point of maternity leave is specifically that childbirth interferes with work, thus she might as well not come in. It has absolutely nothing to do with bonding and everything to do with a worker's utility relative to their wage. Employers don't care in the slightest about your personal life unless it impacts your work, and if so it is almost universally a bad thing. Thus since a father isn't less capable of performing his duties when his children are born there's no reason to not expect him to continue doing them, and the same applies to women who adopt.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby oOoOoOo » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:06 pm

This thread is a piece of shit. I'm one of the most raging feminazis here, and even I can't find a lot to be angry at in Evangelion.

EDIT: Cut out my own rant about religious patriarchy. This thread is a web of interwoven tangents and no actual topic.
Last edited by oOoOoOo on Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:19 pm, edited 6 times in total.
~ O-chan is soooo 2D right now.

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:09 pm

This is a forum. It's made for over analyzing everything imaginable. lol.

2 cents: To even consider Eva is sexist is dumb. Yes lots of male fan service but that's about every anime, no?
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

Halicat
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Halicat » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:35 pm

View Original PostIrkenEvangelion wrote:2 cents: To even consider Eva is sexist is dumb. Yes lots of male fan service but that's about every anime, no?

And considering said fan service then goes on to slap the viewers in the face, you can't even consider it in the same boat as 'regular' fan service, so it's even further from it.

Mild sexism I can deal with [But Eva isn't even that], but if I ever expected for one second Eva was 'misogynistic' I wouldn't watch it. I refuse to watch any form of 'entertainment' that promotes hatred or degradation [To men or women or anyone really.] and that's what misogyny is after all.

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:50 pm

What makes in a slap in the face though? Your reaction. Fan service is put in to be entertaining and not offensive. It's your point of view that makes it offensive because that is not the intent.

Halicat
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Halicat » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:57 pm

View Original PostIrkenEvangelion wrote:What makes in a slap in the face though? Your reaction. Fan service is put in to be entertaining and not offensive. It's your point of view that makes it offensive because that is not the intent.

No. It's the subversion of fanserivce that makes it a slap in the face. In EoE: Asuka's breasts, which people wanted to see was given to the fans but alongside Shinji's masturbation, Rei being groped was accompanied by Gendo's creepy foetus hand etc. It's nothing to do with being offended, it was deliberately subverting it.

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:14 pm

Well you can only speculate as to whether they deliberately did it. I see Shinji's "business" in Asuka's room as advancement to plot to show how far gone Shinji has gone. That's my thought so the whole idea that it's intentional is changed.

Halicat
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Halicat » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:22 pm

View Original PostIrkenEvangelion wrote:Well you can only speculate as to whether they deliberately did it. I see Shinji's "business" in Asuka's room as advancement to plot to show how far gone Shinji has gone. That's my thought so the whole idea that it's intentional is changed.

Considering Anno was being critical of otaku culture, it's a strong indication it was deliberate. I think Yojimbo explained the use of fan service in detail somewhere else and upon reading, I couldn't shake the notion the fan service, whatever it's intent, was simply there to appeal at a base level [Initially, yes but later on, no] Which is why I think it goes even further than regular fan service, and completely dissolves any semblance to sexism [Not all fanservice is sexist though, shows like Kekko Kamen pretty much parodied the idea, but sometimes it's hard to take it seriously and that is increasingly becoming the case methinks.]

Aozora
Adam

Postby Aozora » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:35 pm

View Original PostIrkenEvangelion wrote: Yes lots of male fan service but that's about every anime, no?

But how is that not sexist...? Just because it's common? Not talking about scenes like in EOE, but happy times stuff like Misato in episode 2.

Other than the fan service, I don't really consider the show sexist.

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:39 pm

The intention of it is to be entertaining, not disgrace woman or imply they're a certain way. The impression of sexism comes from your own personal view on what is shown, aka you're impression.

Darkman.exe213
Adam

Postby Darkman.exe213 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:38 pm

View Original PostAozora wrote:But how is that not sexist...? Just because it's common? Not talking about scenes like in EOE, but happy times stuff like Misato in episode 2.

Other than the fan service, I don't really consider the show sexist.
I find that even the Misato fanservice in episode 2 was interesting, as it's connected to the fact that her character is sexual in nature in the latter half. You might think, a female character being sexual is sexist, but it's balanced out by the fact that Kaji is too.(In fact, I'd say Kaji is even moreso, as his character is thoroughly presented as such throughout the series)

View Original PostHalicat wrote:Incorrect. I can't speak for the Bible, but the Arabic word used in reference for God in the Quran is Hu or Huwa commonly translated as him but can also be gender-neutral, such as it [I prefer referring to God as them/they] They're also referred in first person narrative [That which]. Attributing human/animal characteristics to God [Such as sex or gender] is considered a blasphemy in Islam [Qur'an 112:3-4: "He begets not, nor is He begotten. And none is like Him."]
Ah, I was not aware of that. Perhaps it's the same case with Christianity/Judaism, though the two churches I went to seemed to insist that God was male.
My avatar: Eva Unit 01 fighting Omnimon (from Digimon), created using figures and legos.
-------
"Shounen yo shin wa ni nare...."

BeoX2
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby BeoX2 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:39 pm

View Original PostoOoOoOo wrote:This thread is a piece of shit. I'm one of the most raging feminazis here, and even I can't find a lot to be angry at in Evangelion.

EDIT: Cut out my own rant about religious patriarchy. This thread is a web of interwoven tangents and no actual topic.

This. 5 pages about a topic that is obviously wrong, and was proved wrong in the very beginning. Sigh.
"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with his experience."

Uriel Septim VII
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Uriel Septim VII » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:03 am

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:I had a great laugh at this train of replies... EvaGeeks: Just when you thought it was safe from pretentiousness...

Reminds me of that one XKCD strip.
AVATAR-- Hedy Lamarr: actor, inventor of spread spectrum communications technology, and main villain of Blazing Saddles.

You know what, rip me off once, shame on me. But twice? I'm coming after you and taking back what's mine. --Billy Mays

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:40 pm

God and gender split here: http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=9791
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

supershinjiasukashipper
"doggy"

Postby supershinjiasukashipper » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:23 am

The closest thing to sexual discrimination in NGE is the interpretation of certain pilots sexuality based on very little evidence.
Sorry for the thread resurrection, I was looking for an old thread, found this, and couldn't help myself.
Interesting Quote:
ANTA just went full BAKA - Tines-sans reaction to my MS paint thread fail.
my fanfic.net account, enjoy my work, praise me! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2164682/
Forgive my spelling errors, my keyboard acts quite weird weird.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:44 pm

View Original Postsupershinjiasukashipper wrote:The closest thing to sexual discrimination in NGE is the interpretation of certain pilots sexuality based on very little evidence.

That's not sexism; that's homophobia. Keep in mind that "sexism" relates to discrimination based off one's sex, not sexuality.

Pointless bump is pointless.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby oOoOoOo » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:06 pm

If we're talking about sexist interpretations then we should consider how often Misato and Asuka are described as "sluts" compared to Kaji and Gendo.
~ O-chan is soooo 2D right now.

supershinjiasukashipper
"doggy"

Postby supershinjiasukashipper » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:17 pm

Yeah. Especially since Kaji is a total manslut like me. Sexism strikes again!

@Sachi:
I now no longer regret pointless bump, O-san made it worth it.
Interesting Quote:
ANTA just went full BAKA - Tines-sans reaction to my MS paint thread fail.
my fanfic.net account, enjoy my work, praise me! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2164682/
Forgive my spelling errors, my keyboard acts quite weird weird.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”