What anime are you watching right now? Dec10-Apr11

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:00 am

BrikHaus´ opinions may be unpopular, but we actually NEED people like him.
I´d rather have someone hate my favorite shows than everybody loving it and blindly giving it 10 out of 10s.
I don´t want to end up as a part of a hivemind someday.
He has his own opinions, writes provocative articles, leaves room for devate and that is good, IMO.

Plus, he liked Welcome to the NHK!, so it´s cool.

OT:

I watched Infinite Stratos 2.

Ugh, I´m on the verge of dropping this due to this turdy episode.
I don´t like how the protagonist tries to be a Touma of some sorts(and fails at it) and how Houki´s character is so stupidly confusing most of the time.(even for a tsundere)

And then I started the Eureka Seven movie.
whatthefuckamIwatching

Did he just pee in his pants?
Yes he peed in his pants.

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:48 am

IO, do you really stop in the middle when watching stuff to post about it or are you only pretending? :think:
I never understood people that do that.

Gosick - ugh, this is really silly and all but pretty fun to watch. It's a little similar to Occult Academy, I just hope it won't be as much of a shitfest.

Dragon Crisis - Did they HAVE to make the hot girl his cousin ;_; Also WTF Rie Kugimiya not playing a tsundere?! At least she's flat chested, though.

Mitsudomoe 2 - FFFUUU trolling us like that with the 1st episode. Although it was pretty funny and I didn't expect them to show Hitoha raging all over it. I liked the part where they did a lynch on the crab guy.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:04 am

View Original Posttoe mash wrote:IO, do you really stop in the middle when watching stuff to post about it or are you only pretending? :think:
I never understood people that do that.

I just watched the first few minutes, then I did something else.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

I.S. ep2, Gosick ep2, Mitsudomoe/Kimi/ToAru/Tegami season2

Postby symbv » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:47 am

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:BrikHaus´ opinions may be unpopular, but we actually NEED people like him.
I´d rather have someone hate my favorite shows than everybody loving it and blindly giving it 10 out of 10s.

Looking at different parts of an anime and praise the better done bits and criticizing the disappointing bits is not the same as giving anime 10 out of 10s all the time... Not to say the absolute needlessness to use cursing words to trash a whole show just for the heck of it. Anyway...

By the way, I like Welcome to NHK too (perhaps the manga more than the anime though)

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:I watched Infinite Stratos 2.

Ugh, I´m on the verge of dropping this due to this turdy episode.
I don´t like how the protagonist tries to be a Touma of some sorts(and fails at it) and how Houki´s character is so stupidly confusing most of the time.(even for a tsundere)

INFINITE STRATOS

Since you mentioned Infinite Stratos ep.2 I would voice my opposite view. The I.S. ep.2 basically sealed the deal for me to watch the whole anime! The mecha fighting scene is exceptionally well done - I watched the scene 3 times in a row. I love its speed and flow, and the way it rolled the camera to follow the dogfight. I also like the mecha design that shows IS as a combination of disparate parts apparently held together by some field instead of a piece of connected limbs and parts. My decision to expect more from mecha instead of fan service paid off - in fact the level of fan service is pretty low... The way the first match is ended is also not really what I expected -- an interesting way to explain a bit more about I.S.

I think the main guy Ichika has enough kindness and commonsense to take initiative to connect to Houki (which Touma would never do unless the other side is clearly in need of help) I like the way the anime focused more on what Houki is thinking - the way she looks in conflict is not out of expectation for a tsundere but it still looks interesting - the way she would use her elder sister that she disliked so much to fend off a senior girl's approach to Ichika is funny. And I finally find out why Houki look and sound like I have heard it before -- she is voiced by Hisaka Youko, who voiced Shino in Seitokai-yakuin-tomo. Shino looks a bit like Houki already...

On the other hand, I am more disappointed at Cecilia's more steroetyped portrayal as a ojosama tsundere. She also seems to fall for Ichika a bit too quickly (to make way for the Chinese girl I suppose).

It seems the ED is designed to evolve as the story moves forward - ep.1 has only 2 running but ep.2 has 3 running, and ep.3 should have 4 running, and then? All in all I think ep.2 is a big improvement over ep.1

Might as well take this opportunity to write my opinion of other anime in this season:

toe mash wrote:Gosick - ugh, this is really silly and all but pretty fun to watch. It's a little similar to Occult Academy, I just hope it won't be as much of a shitfest.

GOSICK

As I said before, Gosick is really about Victorika, and never should much expectation be built upon the mystery. Depending on how Victorika is received, it will make or break the anime. From what I read in blogs in Japan, those anime fans seem to get it - they focus on the her and her interaction with other characters.

For me, I am not so much into gothic-clad loli who sound much older than her age, though I still consider she looks kind of cute. There is divided opinion about how this character is portrayed in the anime vs the novel or the manga. Some complain that in the novel she is supposed to have an old woman's voice, and she smokes a real pipe. I think for commerical reason the former is replaced by a young girl's voice, and for censorship reason she now looks like smoking a toy pipe. I also expected Yuuki Aoi would use the voice used in Samurai Girls for the more serious side of Yagyu Jubei (or perhaps with an even lower tone) to voice Victorika but she did not, so I am a bit disappointed. In the drama CD, her voice was done by Moruha but in the anime it was done by Madoka (Check Puella Magi Madoka Magika to find out who Moruha and Madoka are) -- not sure if it is the best decision.... Also the fact that Victorika looked at things on the streets with heightened curiosity but looked all calm and cool seeing people meeting their demise begs belief.

One thing I particularly want to praise GOSICK is its OP. In terms of animation, Gosick is the most beautiful in this season's anime. The art noveau style popular in early 20th century makes much appearance here. And it also shows the loveliness of Victorika in abundance. Song for song I would still pick Claris' song in Puella Magi Madoka Magika but for the animation sequence I love Gosick the most.

Also I find that the author (a woman) made her name with Gosick but later won the Naoki award which is the most prestigious award in Japan for popular literature. Afterwards she stopped writing light novels, concentrating on novels instead, but she seemed to come back to Gosick after the decision for its animation was announced.

toe mash wrote:Mitsudomoe 2 - FFFUUU trolling us like that with the 1st episode. Although it was pretty funny and I didn't expect them to show Hitoha raging all over it. I liked the part where they did a lynch on the crab guy.

MITSUDOMOE ZOURYOUCHU

Do you know what those Gachi-Rangers were saying when they lynched that crab monster?? 怒りを受け止めろ (ikari wo uketomero) -- Eat up our anger!! This is the most common comments I saw in Japan blogs -- to the anime production. Most (including me) were happy with some Gachi-Ranger starting the new series, but NOT 90% of it !! With more violence, more black humor, more sex perversion, and baka adults, and the first time death (of many children) shown in Mitsudomoe, it did not actually make it funnier. I think I laughed hardest when the 3 sisters came back on screen -- at least the anime staff knew they were doing a bad job when they were honest enough to show Hitoba hating it (and Mitsuba laughing contemptuously at it). There is also some suspicion that the production wanted to expand the sales related to this anime by exploiting Gachi-Ranger -- even the commercials were filled with Gachi-Rangers merchandise!!

For an unexpected start of a 2nd season I think Sora no Otoshimono did a much better job. Getting Tomoki to sing the 1st season OP but changing the animation to fit his "vision" was just brilliant. Many anime fans quoted that OP to be the most memorable scene in SoraOto 2nd season which persuaded them that the 2nd season should be as good as the first. Not sure about Mitsudomoe though, but if they really revert back to how 1st season was done it should be OK. There are 10 vol of manga so there should be enough material to work on.

No comment on OP/ED because ep.1 used a special "Gachi-Ranger" OP/ED.

KIMI NI TODOKE season 2

The animation quality is as good as 1st season. The story keeps it like 1st season, meaning it sticks close to the manga including most of the dialogues. It is my belief that the dialogue is one important reason for the success of this anime (besides the wonderful character design and the balanced use of sparkles background or deformed characters).

The Valentine Day episode shows all the best from the manga and the anime. The story starts with the change of seats after winter holiday and Sawako being pushed to face her romance feeling towards Kazehaya because of the clumsy effort by Kurumi to split them up. How Sawako would deal with the first Valentine's Day after that episode has to be interesting. Even though I could guess how it would end, watching the events roll out is a most pleasant experience. It shows how much Sawako has changed AND how much she has NOT changed.

Still not used to the new OP/ED - I like the softer melody in 1st season more (at least for now)

TEGAMIBACHI REVERSE

Entering into the second quarter of the series, it has a new OP/ED. Still love the old OP/ED songs better -- I think they conveyed better the mood of a fantasy world that is physically cold and barren but still could be filled with the warmth of heart from the human living there. On the other hand, the animation in the new ED is pretty funny -- chibi-Lag Seeing and Niche running in a game like background jumping obstacles and visiting cities is fun to watch.

The first quarter ended with Lag Seeing apparently finally succeeded in bringing back the "heart" (not all of it maybe) of Gauche and took him back to the "Bee Nest". The story is definitely moving closer to the center of the mystery -- what the central government has been doing and what horror lies behind the artificial sun. The story now moves faster with the recounting of the crash of a "survey" airship on the Day of Flicker and how much lasting damage and loss this had done to many of the characters at that time. The pace may not stay as fast in the coming episodes but I think the new quarter has started in good shape.

BAKUMAN

The OP is a variation of the first OP song "Bluebird" but the ED has changed completely. Again I am still trying to get used to the new songs.

The story also enters a new phase with the increased screen time they now spent in Shonen Jack office or manga studio. The difference in approach and opinions between the editor and the pair of main lead sustained my interest, as is the borderline craziness from the prodigy Eiji. I particularly like the inclusion of the scene of 2 guys in their 20s/30s who could not help feeling bad at themselves as they were about to become Eiji's assistants.

I have heard some in the forum complained about the romance part dragging the anime. While I also think the pace of the anime is kind of slow, I attribute it to the fact that the manga also has a lot of text and it never uses too much space in the "action" part. The romance has to be there because it is the main incentive for Saikou and his reckless pursuit for serialization. One can argue that the very low-key interaction between Saikou and Azuki is too old-fashioned and underwhelming, but it has its appeal as a very romantic foundation stone on which all their effort are built upon. Nonetheless, the story will surely get more "actions" as Shonen Jack now takes center stage in place of high school.

TOARU MAJUTSU NO INDEX II

The OP does not change -- Apparently the song "No Buts" is that popular. Well, I for me am happy that it stays as OP.

The story has finally moved past Daihaseisai (Big Star Festival) and vol.10 of the novel. Now the story moved overseas - to Chioggia (a coastal city 25km south of Venice). I can see the story will be more and more dominated by power factions from out of Academy City and the scale of the story will turn more global, which means the Magic side will make more appearance because while the Science side seems to be concentrated in the Academy City the Magic side is everywhere. The ED shows it very clearly -- it is almost all Index and NO Misaka !! (now I wanted to see more of Touma dancing with Mikasa in the festival -- it got only 3 seconds of screen time !!) The politics of the various churches and European countries (particularly UK and Russia) should take prominent place in the second quarter.

The new episode is kind of expected -- some scenes to have us laugh at Index loli action, some fan service time, and then serious scenes of some attacks and new mysterious antagonists. Only this time the scale is getting bigger --
SPOILER: Show
a whole fleet of ghostly galleons is now at stake.

The light novel is ranked top in "Kono Light Novel ga Sugoi" in 2010, and Touma and Mikasa also got top slot in their respective character category (male and female character; Index got 3rd place). The appeal is to see how the anime adapts the story. The second quarter should cover vol.10-13 of the light novel.

By the way, only now did I realize the last name of Index is really Index (the first name is Librorum Prohibitorum) The Latin name of the list of forbidden books became a full name for a girl !
Last edited by symbv on Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:36 am, edited 11 times in total.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:07 am

Index ep 14

OH MY GOD

FINALLY

A GOOD EPISODE

OH HELL YES

It reminded me why I liked Raildex in the first place, something I've been wondering since the whole lol dem wacky catholics business started.

As if to signal the change in pace the new ED is easily best Index ED ever

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:11 am

It wasn't that good. It's only better than the shitty arc that preceded it. Mildly interesting, but it's hard to tell whether this arc will turn out to be good or not. And we've got those crazy nuns back again and "delicious" nunservice too.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:21 am

View Original PostOz wrote:It wasn't that good. It's only better than the shitty arc that preceded it. Mildly interesting, but it's hard to tell whether this arc will turn out to be good or not. And we've got those crazy nuns back again and "delicious" nunservice too.

Fanservice was limited to one scene and I don't mind it like it, Aya Endo characters are always delicious.

Interesting setting, return of Amakushawhatevers, good action, animation and art (no quality) and fuckweird and badass ghost/glass/ice navy that is propably based on Spanish Armada and villains that aren't crazy bitches AND return of villain from previous arc (never happened before)? Touma is fun again and not a retard.

Hell yes it was good.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:40 am

And that ONE scene had an excessive amount of fanservice. I thought it was never going to end. Aya Endo was the only reason that scene even barely worked in the first place. To be honest, I didn't find the setting interesting yet since the full potential of Italian exteriors wasn't reached yet. And the action still goes along the lines of "random magic is random" - no change there. And why did the returning villain have to be the leader of the "crazy nunservice" arc? Agnese has always been a crazy bitch and not necessarily interesting. The first scene was hilarious though - too bad they didn't wring more juice out of the "Misaka and Touma dancing with jealous Kuroko dropkicing" situation.
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:46 am

View Original PostOz wrote:And that ONE scene had an excessive amount of fanservice.

And it lasted at max two mins. Railgun had longer fanservice scenes and that is average by standards of S1. It was funny and self-mocking in execution too.

View Original PostOz wrote:To be honest, I didn't find the setting interesting yet since the full potential of Italian exteriors wasn't reached yet. And the action still goes along the lines of "random magic is random" - no change there.

There were no asspull resolutions thrown around: new magical abilities are introduced in every new arc, just like what is done in science arcs. There was no "whoops we withheld information from you in order to resolve the situation cheaply without you noticing it" which is what counts

View Original PostOz wrote: And why did the returning villain have to be the leader of the "crazy nunservice" arc? Agnese has always been a crazy bitch and not necessarily interesting.

Agnese's backstory was left entirely untouched (it started to come up in one flashback JUST before she got paunch'd by Toumafist which was end of it all) and I always felt there was unexplored potential in her character. I'm very happy to see it wasn't bad writing but that conclusion to her arc was left for current arc (I'd read before that Italy arc is sequel to the first lolnuns arc - which was ok and not even bad in the first place - and this was now pretty much confirmed) instead of case simply being "oh right, we forgot her"

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:57 am

View Original PostXard wrote: Agnese's backstory was left entirely untouched (it started to come up in one flashback JUST before she got paunch'd by Toumafist which was end of it all) and I always felt there was unexplored potential in her character. I'm very happy to see it wasn't bad writing but that conclusion to her arc was left for current arc (I'd read before that Italy arc is sequel to the first lolnuns arc - which was ok and not even bad in the first place - and this was now pretty much confirmed) instead of case simply being "oh right, we forgot her"

You will see more of Agnese and her dear sisters in the coming story. It links back to what Touma said at the end of the last Agnese arc about Agnese.

And then there is also the matter between Touma and Misaka that needs to be settled... I wonder how that would turn out...
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:17 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:And it lasted at max two mins. Railgun had longer fanservice scenes and that is average by standards of S1. It was funny and self-mocking in execution too.

Self-mocking? I don't remember anything like that from the new episode - although they did joke about that in the earlier arc. However, even self-awareness doesn't really make it any better that the fanservice is so damn unoriginal (it's always the same "changing clothes" scenario with Touma accidentally entering) and frequent all the time that I've grown terribly fed up with it. And the difference to Railgun is that in Index it doesn't really work. In Railgun the only time that I really remember the fanservice being excessive (or even being there) is in the "beach episode". In Index it's just LOLOPPAI and LOLNEKKID all over the place. And boy do they like to linger in those shots.

View Original PostXard wrote:There were no asspull resolutions thrown around:

Maybe there was no asspull resolutions, but Index's skills are still so damn mysterious and the way the "sniper" just disappeared was another thing that would have made no sense without Index explicitly explaining how it works.

As for Agnese, I don't necessarily have a problem with her, but she hasn't even made an impact yet. It was all fanservice and being revealed as a villain in the decent nunservice arc.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:48 pm

Endless Eight, the Episode Star Driver 15

Shit got real, then shit got more real, and then in the preview shit got superfucking real. Very little Takuto, too, which was refreshing - I love the guy but sometimes somebody else needs to dazzle the stage.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Puella Magi Madoka Magika ep.2

Postby symbv » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:57 pm

Puella Magi Madoka Magika Ep.2

Watched (actually watched twice) ep.2 of Puella Magi Madoka Magika and I think I am falling in love with the show. While ep.1 is very good, I think ep.2 improves it much further.

In this episode we finally see a better explanation of what the villains are and how a mahou shoujo's work is like. Hinted at in ep.1 but now it is clear that we have 2 newbies and 2 veteran mahou shoujo -- this is double what I expected at the beginning and the idea of mahou shoujo fighting (competing) with each other is an interesting twist of the usual team of mahou shoujo in such genre. (I have to say I was very impressed when I saw some Japanese blogger who actually guessed correctly this setup before the anime started! Perhaps he had heard some leaks). That said, there are still a lot of speculation of the relationship between MS, the magic animal and the witches, and how the rule of soul gem being clouded when magic power is used up may come to be an important plot device later in the story.

Things I particularly love:

Besides the rivalry between MS (mahou shoujo), this episode focused particularly on two things:

- A lot of doubt and reasoning about the main theme -- Do you want to be a MS if you may be rewarded with any wish you can make but at the risk of your life or what you treasure? It is good to see how the 2 girls think of it at a different angle. And while both feel the mysterious pull of being able to become a MS, their reaction is quite different -- baseball bat vs costume sketch. This shows the innocence of the girls even at the cusp of making the biggest decision in their life

BTW, DO you know that those MS costume sketch done by Madoka is REALLY drawn by Madoka's seiyuu Yuuki Aoi ?? She even got credited in the ED!

One thing that is not clear to me is under what circumstances will the wish be granted -- it seems to be granted as soon as one agrees to become a MS.

- A complete fight scene of MS vs the villain (witch). The surrealistic and psychedelic graphic design of Inu-Curry made its full blast here. It may get a bit head-spinning at times, but the attack scene by MS grounded the actions in a more enjoyable sequence. I can even see shadows of Bakemonogatari and Katanagatari in the MS attack scenes. I particularly love the many rifles stuck on the ground and the super-huge flintlock revolver. One thing that may be a concern is that the Inu-Curry's creation look kind of 2D, and sometimes it does not mesh very well with the MS and her weapon whose images have a bit more depth.

I also find the converstion between Madoka and her mother intriguing. It clearly shows the worry of adults to be more mundane, but it also shows how close the two are. I am still pondering over the significance of focusing on the mother's cosmetic box with number labels for each cosmetic gadgets...

I have said earlier that I think the OP song is the best in this season. It is the only song that I remember the melody right at the first time I heard it. Not sure if the official statement that ClariS is made up of two junior high girls is true or not, but they sure have a charming soothing voice. And it is not just the OP, the music used in the anime is also very good - the chants used when Mami explains how MS works, the theme used when the girls talk on the way to school, the music used when the girls move to face a witch.... I also notice that this episode has a lot of orange/red/purple color scheme that reflects dusk hours - both at Mami's home and when they went out to search for witch, which I find beautiful yet mysterious.

The one that really knocked me out is the graffiti on the wall of building entrance where a woman entered in order to commit suicide:
I was curious enough to pause the recording to research what is the meaning of those German words. And although it was just one hour after the broadcast of the anime show I found some Japanese bloggers had already cracked it out -- It was a quote from Goethe's First Part of FAUST, sung by the chorus of spirits when Faust finally accepted the deal offered by Mephistopheles the devil.

I dug out my copy of Faust with original German and English translation and found the text written on the wall:

[Weh! Weh!
Du hast sie zerstört
Die schöne Welt
Mit mächtiger Faust,]
Sie stürzt, sie zerfällt!
Ein Halbgott hat sie zerschlagen!
Wir tragen. Die Trümmern ins Nichts hinüber,
Und klagen.
Über die verlorne Schöne.

English tranaslation:

[Alas! Alas!
You have shattered
The beautiful world
With brazen fist;]
It falls, it is scattered
By a demigod destroyed
We are trailing The runis into the void
And wailing
Over beauty undone

For completeness' sake, here is the Japanese translation posted in the blog sites:

[...]
砕けていく、散っていく
半神気どりがやらかした
砕け散ったかけらを
どこに運べばいいのやら
喪われたものを
ただ嘆くだけ

Now the show seems to grow much deeper. And I am impressed with the anime not trying to tell you everything but let you explore it yourself -- for a younger audience he/she does not need to know all this to appreciate the anime, but those who are willing to spend extra effort will be rewarded.

I am a bit disappointed when I find that the English subtitle does not include the translation of the graffiti, perhaps because of the rush to get the subtitles out?

There is much discussion among Japanese bloggers comparing Madoka with Fractale as both Shinbo and Yamakan are famous directors and both anime hold out the expectation of creating something new from an existing genre that can still appeal to broader range of audience. From what I have seen so far, I would vote for Shinbo in this round. I have even watched Fractale 2 more times just to make sure my vote is not to change. I just think that in terms of new ideas and overall execution (animation, music, seiyuu, char design) Madoka came out much better.

Of course the final result is not decided yet -- Fractale ep.2 is not even aired and there is the question of how the anime comes out in later episodes. And both have aspects that may limit its appeal to very young children -- Fractale has its fan service; Madoka has its scary bewitched zone. On the other hand, neither tries to use excessive jargon or overly complex system to explain the SF/fantasy mechanism, which should make it easier for younger children to understand.
Last edited by symbv on Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:14 pm

And then I started the Eureka Seven movie.
whatthefuckamIwatching

Something better than expected, that's what. Better than the series aside from the lack of TheEND and rehashing antibody coralians.

Anyway....

Over the weekend I watched the following not counting last night's Adult Swim:

Dragonar eps 11-15: Slowly getting a little better, nice to see some enemy variety, in the last ep Meio returns with his Falguen and Gelf minions with new MAFFU systems for atmospheric combat which proves too much for the heroes and the crew of the Aquapolis. The Giganos Empire also revealed a hammerhead-like submarine, but MAHQ has nothing on it; real shame, it looked neat. :( Oh well.

Brain Powerd eps 10-18: ................ Well, this went nowhere (kind of). The second half of the series is basically "We have to attack Orphan, it will destroy all life on the planet!" The "final battles" are just regular fly around and shoot battles with nothing new. The first Russ Brain did a kamikaze and did nothing. The only things worth mentioning really was the revealing of Baronz, a gran cher with spear tentacles from it's shoulders that kind of reminds me of the codarls from Full Metal Panic, and the Yuu Brain fuses with Nelly Brain to formed Merged Nelly Brain, which is pretty much Yuu's new Brain Powerd. Much like King Gainer, Nadesico, Full Metal Panic, and Turn A Gundam the story is pretty much all over the place. :stars:

Super Robot Wars Original Generation: The Inspector episode 15: Awesome, just awesome. Drunkin vs. Daigenguard with Thrudgemir thrown in was just pure win. :bigguns:
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:25 pm

>mon fucking visage when Star Driver ep 15

Shit is getting real^10, I can't wait for next episode. We're coming to the turning point of the story. Takuto is so going to get his ass kicked in next episode aka Head is about to do the impossible and break the unbreakable row row sing your youth yo!

They're screwing so badly with my head right now. I'm honestly lost with whole Marino/Mizuno deal. What the fuck is going on!?!?!?!? :lol:

(whole Kiraboshi~ bombardment here was awesome)

So Vanishing Age finally stops dicking around! Time for summa dat coup!

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-

@symbv: yeah, my Deutsche was too rusty to translate that but I could pretty much guess it was summa dat Goethe on there wall. As far as allusions go Shinbo isn't dicking around with being too subtle/trolling (I'm looking at you, Enokido) :lol:

View Original PostOz wrote:Self-mocking? I don't remember anything like that from the new episode - although they did joke about that in the earlier arc. However, even self-awareness doesn't really make it any better that the fanservice is so damn unoriginal (it's always the same "changing clothes" scenario with Touma accidentally entering) and frequent all the time that I've grown terribly fed up with it.

I ment Touma dicking around with doors beforehand. It was damn funny because you knew the end result was inevitable.

View Original PostOz wrote: And the difference to Railgun is that in Index it doesn't really work. In Railgun the only time that I really remember the fanservice being excessive (or even being there) is in the "beach episode". In Index it's just LOLOPPAI and LOLNEKKID all over the place. And boy do they like to linger in those shots.

Kuroko molests Misaka more often in shower than I can remember. Saten's whole flipping-them-skirts routine could be considered as fanservice etc.

Really, Raildex has been dutifully doing its routine fanservice scenes since the start. Either you roll with it or don't - I roll with it because it makes the viewing experience more pleasant. :shrug: Reason I was getting angry lately is because fanservice was screwing with plot (esp. in previous shit arc) but in this ep it was of no consequence.

View Original PostOz wrote:Maybe there was no asspull resolutions, but Index's skills are still so damn mysterious and the way the "sniper" just disappeared was another thing that would have made no sense without Index explicitly explaining how it works.

Which really is no different from science side (there's usually explaining to do with abilities of both sides in all arcs and in both shows). Index's abilities are same she has been using since first arc of season one. :shrug:

Anyway, all of this is completley irrelevant because HOLY SHIT FUCKING ICE SHIP EMERGING FROM UNDERGROUND IN MIDDLE OF TOWN OH GOD WHAT IS GOING ON THIS IS AWESOME OH SHIT ARMADA WHAAAAATTT

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:40 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:I just think that with your analysis skills and vast knowledge, there is no need to go down to cursing and trolling to get your points across. Your knowledge and insights should be good enough to pull people to read your posts and share their passion for anime.

I used to have a blog where I gave fair and even-handed reviews of everything I watched. I tried to break them down and analyze the various aspects of these series. What I found out was that the posts were boring. Those type of reviews are a dime-a-dozen. I had no site traffic. Now, with Awesomely Shitty, if I use inflammatory language, troll the readers, and make everything black and white, I get much more of a response. It helps give the site a somewhat unique flavor that, I feel, sets it apart from the average, generic anime review site. Plus, writing my raw emotional reactions to series is more fun than trying to be diplomatic to something I hated.

View Original Postsymbv wrote:One thing I want to say is that anime will never go what some purists in the west want, never was and never will be -- anime is like soap opera with all the contrived plots, cliches and elements thrown to appeal to core fans (in anime's case, the otaku in Japan which is much smaller than tv drama audience base). This means even in a serious and dark anime, there may be cliched humor or cute characters abound. And if an anime with "nothing happens" "vapid" plot like K-On managed to pull in new anime fans and encourage teenagers to pick up instruments and form bands to have some real-life fun, then I would put that anime on a higher rank than some "breakthrough/subversive anime". For me, the key to ENJOY anime is to seek out the parts I love and focus on that.

One reason I like anime is that it can be vastly different from Western entertainment. I agree that as long as someone loves/enjoys an anime, that's all that matters. They don't have to agree with my reviews. There are some series I like (e.g. Elfen Lied) that are completely unartistic, but I just find them to be enjoyable. Other people (e.g. everyone on EGF) hate that series, but it doesn't stop me from watching and enjoying it. However, I don't think we should allow anime as a whole to degrade to the level of K-On or Lucky Star and say it is OK for them to be completely lazy in terms of storytelling just because they are fun, or brought in new viewers.

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Anime requires efforts from a large number of people, and material reward is never certain -- so I always want to appreciate the result of efforts from those dedicated people.

I want to appreciate their efforts, too, but if I find the show unenjoyable, then that's a different matter. There were lots of people involved in creating Transformers 2, but that doesn't mean I should appreciate it because it took a lot of hard work. It's still a piece of shit. Anime is no different in my mind.

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Anyway, enough of my own ranting. Each person is entitled to his preferred way to speak and communicate. Nobody is forcing anyone to read the stuff he does not want. So I shall let it rest here.

I appreciate all the thought you put into this. Thanks. And how did you find my site, anyway?
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:05 pm

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:There are some series I like (e.g. Elfen Lied) that are completely unartistic, but I just find them to be enjoyable. Other people (e.g. everyone on EGF) hate that series
Are you sure?
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

Postby chazthesilencer » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:00 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Are you sure?
It amuses me the next reccommendation happens to be Planetes.

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:how did you find my site, anyway?
:sigh: Well, that's the last second to last time I link to Awesomely Shitty in one of my posts.

@topic: Otome Yōkai Zakuro (Demon Maiden Zakuro) was… surprisingly very good.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:44 pm

Sorry for missing that Chaz. You know I don't actually read any posts on EGF. ;)
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:01 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:They're screwing so badly with my head right now. I'm honestly lost with whole Marino/Mizuno deal. What the fuck is going on!?!?!?!? :lol:

I think...Mizuno is actually a witch and can make things real by believing in them or something...? This episode was so full of "lol, Marino disappeared OH WAIT NO SHE DIDN'T LOLOLOL" that I'm almost expecting next episode to feature Marino suddenly popping up in Ayingott and kicking Head in the dick. But she can't have been created by Mizuno's First Phase, or Mizuno would be in Zero Time with everyone else...and also, if Marino isn't "real"/created by First Phase then who the hell's the real Star Driver for Ayingott?

Also what the shit was Head rambling about with Kings and Warriors, the way he said it, it was like he was >implying there were multiple King Cybodies. my brain is so full of fuck

Okay, that wordfilter made me laugh.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Return to “Old Stickies”