Evangelion 2.0 CRC: Tsurumaki Interview

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:13 am

View Original PostCORE wrote:The thing about Q+Final speculation is that unlike 1.0-2.0 the only speculation can be based of what was not done or what you think their intentions where.. one of which is endless possibilities.. and one of which even if you base there intentions off there word of mouth change over time... unlike 1.0-2.0 which for the most part where to the name a rebuild. Q+Final is going to build of what exactly.? rebuilding a dream like experience is hard.. and even harder to speculate on.

Do you no think that 2.0 ends after episode 26/EOE ? just with a late introduction of Kaworu and more Mari saved for 3.0+FINAL.. what original information would you say Q has its self to base of... if you say the Dream space events i guess thats fair but with 2 versions of that i say thats impossible to use as a reference. And thous moments of thoughts inside Shinjis mind could already be over at the end of 2.0. leaving us with nutting but a completely blank future.

They explicitly said '23', and it was supposed to be even less originally.
Still, we can't expect anything familiar save for something akin to the plot Episode 24... I'd say they're saving Kaworu as the big climax of the movie, and there will be plenty of new stuff with all five Pilots (I'm expecially thirilled about the 'conversation of the destined children')
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

CORE
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby CORE » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:06 pm

episode 24 has no plot just exposition? ... however it does i suppose yet only at the end... the only thing the trailer Q seems to reference thats in Episode 24 is Comical Reality Reis clothing.

I still disagree with your argument to validate productions gwern. You can not ignore the nature of EOE and Rebuild as being a retelling of discreet fictional tails with the same hearts but not realties. And that they exist in there own world.. You also cant ignore that possibility that the end of the world is the end of Shinjis mind and not the other way around.. and that all events and symbolism's are a projection of his turmoil and not of any canonical reality. Or infect the hole reality being a coping method (one of the only explained intended readings). You also cant ignore the possibility that Shinji reaching out to Rei in such a epic and grandiose nature in 2.0 could very well be their way of dealing with that darkness within Shinji (in a more mainstream acceptable way *cutting thru emotional fluff* in layman's terms) now resolved and Q+Final could very well be some thing 100% different to any thing we have seen before in events but not character . we can predict how they could feel or respond to a given situation but we cant predict a situation.. past any thing in the trailer.. that is the nature of things as i see it.. i may be wrong in some areas but i don't think all these elements are completely dismissible regardless of how well considered we may feel our own personal logic and feelings are.
Last edited by CORE on Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gwern
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby gwern » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:15 pm

I can and do ignore many possibilities.

The sun could blow up tomorrow and falsify all my predictions.

You are letting the perfect be the enemy of the good.

CORE
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby CORE » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:35 pm

View Original Postgwern wrote:You are letting the perfect be the enemy of the good.

I dont understand this. however.

Every thing can -Be Perfect-. -The good- is more personal.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:25 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:This is what I got with help from Jisho.org (rather difficult on a PC that doesn't display Japanese characters!) "Entrusting the third Rei's distant feelings." Adjust my translation accordingly.

And heh, now I'm VERY curious on where Q will go with Rei along with the other characters. I'm glad they've acknowledged that Rei 3 (obviously) doesn't have character development compared to Rei 2. Not just because Rei 3 was only in a few episodes, but they really didn't emphasize Rei's loyalty shift from Gendo to Shinji, which was a pity. (Rei 3 crushes Gendo's glasses, Kaworu gives Rei the "hint" that her soul is Lilith's, Rei goes along with Gendo's plans until she senses Shinji, kindly gives him a restart in the LCL Sea... But what? Does she remember her memories of Rei 2 when she hears Shinji freak out at the start of M26'? Had Shinji not freaked out, would Rei 3 have simply gone along with Gendo's plans anyway? Even worse, no introspection with Rei's thoughts/feelings on Yui in either ending, just her thoughts/fears of Lilith in Episode 25... I love Rei 3 and do find her interesting, but ugh, the ball was really dropped with her.)

Also, not to start a "Oh, look it's THAT thread again" debate, but do any of the Interviews or other materials in CRC mention WHEN in the production did Khara decide on having Asuka Langley Shikinami instead of Asuka Langley Soryu? Quite a few merchandise from around the time of 1.0's theatrical then DVD/BD release still refer to her as "Soryu". And I know that there was the "announcement" in her new last name with the release of the 2.0 poster, I'm just curious if any of the 2.0 drafts/whatever else mention WHEN the last name change was. (I'm assuming the WHY, especially the -nami naming scheme (at least Asuka's case, if not all 3 girls.) will be given some sort of in-universe reason within Q or Final at some point...)

The real question is: Did Rei ever know about the Yui thing?
I don't think so. She was always aware that she was created/cloned (and not too happy with the prospect of being replaced), ansd she somewhat 'felt' the connection to Lillith, but she never thought or acted like she knew about the human part of her origins.
Shinji compared them a lot cuz they look very similar, but Rei herself never knew about that - the fact that she and Shinji interact in a, to quote the interview "love love"-y way (with or without Gendo's help) should be proof of that - She might have found out during Instrumentality, as the Rei aparition that apeared before Shogoki before she flies into enternity has a somewhat uncertain look on her face, like she was thinking "this is the original..."

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:46 pm

CORE and Kendrix:
The Rules wrote:There will be limited tolerance for “Bad English”. Users are expected to employ proper grammar: sentences, paragraphs, punctuation, capitalization, and so forth. The use of spell-checking is thoroughly encouraged. (This function is automatically furnished by the Firefox browser.)

It's honestly difficult to figure out what either of you are saying, and posts shouldn't have to be interpreted.

Regarding Rei's knowledge in NGE: Rei 2 is aware she's a clone, but it's only when Rei 3 arrives that Rei finally has knowledge--and acknowledges--having Lilith's soul. Her making any comments on Yui? Not as much. (At least Rei 2 gradually becomes aware the Eva have souls and whose soul is in each Eva.)

Also, at the end of 2.0, Rei's pretty expressionless as Shinji hugs her--she doesn't even hug him back despite Shinji being all ^_^--while the red GNR's expression seems to be spaced out, maybe even aroused. (Which wouldn't surprise me since GNR is weird like that.)
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:10 pm

View Original PostCORE wrote:episode 24 has no plot just exposition? ... however it does i suppose yet only at the end... the only thing the trailer Q seems to reference thats in Episode 24 is Comical Reality Reis clothing.
Did you perhaps mean episode 26?
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:03 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:CORE and Kendrix:

It's honestly difficult to figure out what either of you are saying, and posts shouldn't have to be interpreted.

Regarding Rei's knowledge in NGE: Rei 2 is aware she's a clone, but it's only when Rei 3 arrives that Rei finally has knowledge--and acknowledges--having Lilith's soul. Her making any comments on Yui? Not as much. (At least Rei 2 gradually becomes aware the Eva have souls and whose soul is in each Eva.)

Also, at the end of 2.0, Rei's pretty expressionless as Shinji hugs her--she doesn't even hug him back despite Shinji being all ^_^--while the red GNR's expression seems to be spaced out, maybe even aroused. (Which wouldn't surprise me since GNR is weird like that.)

Er... Sorry. I will try my best to improve. It's just that I think faster than I can write, and have a hard time concentrating on writing and thinking at the same time. - It's the same in my native language. It has happened to me more than one that I wrote a composition, got an A for the context, but ended up with a B as final mark because of the impossible amounts of spelling mistakes. Sometimes I even forget entire words. - this is, of course, no excuse - as I said, I will try to check my posts more thoroughly.

Back to topic: I think Rei's shocked/surprised expression when Shinji breaks through the darkness to get to her says it all (she lets up a surprised, but lovely gasp out there) - she is simply overwhelmed by the posibility that anyone would consider her, who has considered herself replacable all her life, something precious - She doesn't push him away either, and she even starts apologizing. (For the failed dinner party) She wouldn't apologize (= admit something she thinks she did wrongly) if she thought that Shinji was the one who did something wrong - this is simply the first time she has ever been hugged in her entire life, she has no clue what she's expected to do, and is already experiencing the most intimate physical contact of her life. (Compare it to the Situation in ep 6/at the end of 1.X)
She DID reach out to him(and he wouldn't have gotten to her if she hadn't - Not to mention that she held on to the SDAT player until the very end, and that guarding keepsakes is the way of expressing affections that Rei is most familiar with (SDAT player=something that used to be Shinji's and that she picked up when he left, as if to have a part of him - and it's treated as a part of him/an indicator for his state of mind in both continuities, it even has the same 'backstory' in Rebuild.(Discarded by Gendo after Yui's death - In fact, that player could have been a romantic keepsake before - Gendo left it behind but couldn't bring himself to dispose of it like he did wth everything else from his old life)), and the GNR (which she was at least subconciously in control of - that's why it took her appearance in the first place), merges with him with a fulfilled smile - It's hard to tell in the movie itself, but the half-finished images from the 'making of' show a pretty understandable expression... and I won't say anything of the... positions of GNR and EVA 01...

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:09 pm

I find the whole behind the scenes aspect of Rebuild to be beyond fascinating!

Sounds like Anno almost has a very aloof Terrence Malick quality about him. He's got his vision, he knows what he wants, but he's not very particular about specifics or planning ahead. He's more immersed in "the Feel".

Must be why he's one of my favorite filmmakers. I've always preferred artists who place more empathize on how a sequence should feel than how it fulfills Role X in the overall Narrative.

I want the Khara crew to take their time and release the best film possible but for Feck's sake I hope it comes out in 2011!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:10 pm

Rei expressions, in order of appearance:

SPOILER: Show

さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:51 pm

Oh.
It's pretty much the same one.
They didn't keep that smile from the unfinished thing.(Maybe someone can get a screenshot? It's from that 'making of' clip with the funny lego!Brick!Evas, which had a lineart-y version of that scene.)

...I guess they wanted to keep it consistent.

Still, the GNR actively participates in the merging/ turns her head in a way that more of it flows into EVA 01/comes closer to it.
EVA 01 just pulled EVA 00s Core out, thus making Rei the dominant entitity.
The last one has something serene about it, but it could be just me.

Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby 1731298478 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:44 am

Kendrix wrote:So, the shipp-y overtones were very, very intentional

I think, Tsurumaki seems to suggest there wasn't a deliberate intention along those particular lines (the "you had better check with Anno" response). So, it might be interesting to see what Anno says. That said, certainly the interviewer got a strong impression of that sort ^__^

Kendrix wrote:Oh, and thanks a lot, Number-kun. You're doing a great service to us all! So what's up next?

Ah, np ^^ I am working on a bit more Tsurumaki at the moment.

Sailor Star Dust wrote:This is what I got with help from Jisho.org (rather difficult on a PC that doesn't display Japanese characters!) "Entrusting the third Rei's distant feelings." Adjust my translation accordingly.

Arigatou ne ^^ I just blanked out reading it, but suddenly I can see the intention. If the "ou+to shita" here means "attempted," then perhaps this could be "the feelings [I] attempted to entrust to [express through?] the third Rei." Something like this??

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Quite a few merchandise from around the time of 1.0's theatrical then DVD/BD release still refer to her as "Soryu". And I know that there was the "announcement" in her new last name with the release of the 2.0 poster, I'm just curious if any of the 2.0 drafts/whatever else mention WHEN the last name change was.

That's a good question. I wonder when that decision was made. I haven't seen any mention of it in the interviews I have, but there might be something in a future interview. I'll definitely keep an eye out for it.

gwern wrote:I am also occasionally working on a large set of Eva predictions which I hope everyone else will record their probabilities for whenever I finish it.

I'm looking forward to this ^__^

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:36 am

View Original Post1731298478 wrote:I think, Tsurumaki seems to suggest there wasn't a deliberate intention along those particular lines (the "you had better check with Anno" response). So, it might be interesting to see what Anno says. That said, certainly the interviewer got a strong impression of that sort ^__^

Still, the Kaworu joke at the end said a lot "You looked at a chick? Lol what?" - they're even making jokes os Shinji and Rei appearing like a couple... That response means that they could still sink the ship in Q or Final, tough... nah, I guess the only way to shed light on all this is translating Anno's part - but take your time and finish Tsurumaki first, it would ruin all the fun if you translated the part that brings sense into all this too early XD
Keep up the good work.

Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby 1731298478 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:28 pm

Here are the first two parts of the Tsurumaki interview. The usual disclaimers apply.
I got a bit confused about the grammar of one statement, and the context of another. I left them in Japanese; I will return to them, though.
Other parts that I was uncertain of have footnotes with the Japanese.
Corrections/suggestions are strongly appreciated!

------

"A major turning point following the 'Prelude' premiere"
"『序』の公開直後に大きいな転換点へ"

--- To begin with, I'd like to speak with you for the program to be distributed before the premiere. According to Chief Director Anno's intention, it was decided that we would "publish an interview with Makki entitled 'the man who destroyed Eva.'" [1] Before we begin, I'd first like to confirm that you were made aware of that intention.

[1] "Destroy" [破壊] is a play upon "Break" [破].

Tsurumaki: This seems suspicious (laughs). As far as making me into "the criminal resposible for destroying [Eva]" is concerned, I'll resist with all my might.

--- Only, if we look at "Break" as a destroyed Eva, surely everyone would want to know the details of how and why this happened. むしろひとりの視点の方が混乱しなくて良いかも・・・・・・というのが私の意見でもあるので、どうかよろしくお願いします。

Tsurumaki: As far as [the title] "Break" is concerned, Anno-san probably discovered a new reason for it part of the way through. As usual. Although, I think it would have been better if Anno-san had taken the lead in destroying [Eva] himself. [It would surely have been difficult for him to destroy it. I think he well understood that, and had no choice [but to do as he did]. ???3] However, it was not myself alone who destroyed Eva. Even Masayuki-san, or Sadamoto-san, who writes the manga, would have been fine [for the interview].

[???3] きっと自分では壊しづらかったんでしょうね。それはものすごくよく分かるし、仕方がないとも思う。

--- This successful "destruction" was unexpectedly the core [of the film]. So [the conception of] a "jo - ha - kyuu" [序破急] structure where you would begin destroying Eva in the second part was not present from the beginning?

Tsurumaki: In the initial stages we thought more in terms of a recap or summary film; we didn't think that we would "break" [anything]. We decided upon the subtitles "jo - ha - kyuu" themselves relatively early on. They only had the meaning "1, 2, 3" - at the time I didn't think that "ha" ["Break"] had any special significance. The development of the story of "Break" was already underway before we started work on "Prelude." [?4]

[?4] 『破』のプロット開発は『序』の現場に入る前に、すでに進んでました。

--- I have the impression that the development of "Prelude" and "Break" began at the same time.

Tsurumaki: Right. We decided, with relatively few objections, that we would bring "Prelude" to a climax with episode six of the TV series, and immediately after that we began developing the story of "Break." However, work on "Prelude" became increasingly hectic, so we decided to just focus on making "Prelude" first. We returned to "Break" once we had just about finished "Prelude".

--- For my part, I was reading through the script for "Break" around the time "Prelude" was completed (the latter part of August 2007). Also, (Shinji) Higuchi-san was supposed to have drawn the storyboards for "Break" that summer. At this point, the contents [of the film] are probably quite different [than they were, at that point].

Tsurumaki: It would turn out that more than just the plot would be developed further. In any case, after the premiere of "Prelude," Anno-san proposed that we include more of the new character, Mari, and it was decided that we would revisit the script. My impression was that "Prelude" was recieved more favorably than expected; furthermore, the preview for the next film was very well recieved. So, I think Anno-san probably thought, "I want to give the viewers more service." Probably, [his] specific means [of doing that] was to place Mari more prominently [in the film].

--- Considering Anno's "spirit of service," that would naturally be the case, right? So, that would lead to [Anno] increasing the number of Mari's appearances?

Tsurumaki: The truth is, at the earliest stage of planning, Mari was such a character that, in the extreme case, if she hadn't spoken at all, it would have been okay. For example, Misato just reading the materials on her, [and saying] "It seems that Unit-05 was in Hong Kong and had a battle with an angel. The pilot was this person" - would have been fine, I think......

--- In that case, she would become an amazingly weak character.

Tsurumaki: Yeah. The appearance of a new character and Eva Unit-05 was requested by executive producer (Toshimichi) Ootsuki-san. I think the motive was a commercial one - to strengthen the appeal of the film. 庵野さんには負担をかけたくないから、貞本さんのキャラ表があって本編中に正規のキャラクターとして登場するのであれば、それでいい。そんなニュアンスだったんですね。

--- Surely, the new films themselves become a burden to the extent they represent a story that preexists the new character; you had to "create carefully," right?

Tsurumaki: [Yes,] because at first we intended [simply] to summarize the original series. For example, the current structure in which the new character is actively involved before the main titles was put in place at that stage in the film's plot [development]. In addition, [she] would appear only once more, watching the battle just before the climax. That was the extent to which she appeared.

--- So, she was hardly related to the characters of the original story.

Tsurumaki: It's Anno-san's usual method. He allows possibilities to remain without making up his mind. By no means have things been decided. Because, if he was bound to a decision, he wouldn't be able to do anything but that. He was still undecided about how to handle her, and at that time he probably thought that introducing her but leaving her without definite relations [to anything] would be safe for the moment.

--- I see. In a different set of circumstances, [???5] I would also have thought, "As expected, the storyline of Eva is quite fixed, and new interventions are not possible."

[???5] 別の事情として、

Tsurumaki: Naturally. Therfore, daring to have her appear at the core of the story, even more, bringing her close to the centre of the drama - in short, we intended to make her a character who would change the story. That was the major shift following the premiere of "Prelude."

"What occured with the increase of Mari's scenes" [?]
マリの登場シーン増加で発生したこと

--- The result being that [the story] would become increasingly different from the script that you had prepared?

Tsurumaki: We were almost starting everything over again. We had hardly thought about what would be changed, and how it would be changed, in order to incorporate Mari. It was from that point, I think, that we really began.

--- So, the question of how to destroy Eva ends up really being the question of how to connect Mari [to the existing story].

Tsurumaki: Right. However, while we had resolved to change [the story], Anno-san had for one reason or another not thought at all about the elements of Mari's character. As a result, I was continually requesting explanations in regard to them. When I requested an explanation of Mari's character before we began doing the storyboards for the pre-title sequence, Anno-san gave me a rather abstract, "thematic" explanation.

--- "Thematic?"

Tsurumaki: It was, "By introducing Mari, we will destroy the world of Eva." Concerning this idea of Mari as a character who represents the subtitle "Break," the explanation that we would directly project her "thematic" character traits onto the story was not sufficient, so I just smiled and nodded. However, we were about to draw the storyboards without something essential - Mari's concrete character was undetermined. The resulting stress would continue for a long time [after that].

--- The establishment of her character - in other words, her personality?

Tsurumaki: Is she a girl with a calm demeanor, or a girl with an intense personality, or a "dojikko" (clumsy girl)? Even that much wasn't clear. I felt like it changed each time the script was revised. Even if the theme of her character was "the destruction of Eva's story," there were numerous concrete ways you could conceive of doing that. In the extreme case, she could "steal" Shinji and destroy all his relationships up to that point, or act as a "nonsense" character who would destroy the "serious" worldview [of Eva]. As there was no trace of a [fixed] methodology according to which she would destroy [Eva], the arguments concerning her continued endlessly.

--- Which parts did the arguments center upon?

Tsurumaki: Certainly Mari's appearances had increased. Furthermore, if there were scenes where Mari appeared by herself, that was still fine. Even in the early stages of the plot['s development], we didn't really feel that such scenes were a problem. The difficulty lay in her relationships with other characters. Especially, if we intended to portray a relationship between Shinji and Mari, it would entail strange things happening. At one point she would have Rei Ayanami's role in relation to Shinji, at another point Asuka's, at another point Misato's. There was a sense that her character was changing depending upon the circumstances of each scene. In the first place, if it's Rei's role, Rei herself can do it, and if it's Asuka's role, Asuka herself can do it. To the extent that this newly arrived character, Mari, is just partially substituting for roles that other people have carried out up until now, the story itself is really unchanged. My impression was, if that's going to be the case, Mari is probably not needed.

Because a new character is introduced, naturally, it's already become a different story, but if we step back and look at it, almost nothing has changed. That's useless. As a result, on one occasion Anno-san handed off this problem to (Youji) Enokido-san. Basically, he told [Enokido] that he wanted to create a plot in which Mari's character was more developed. It's not a brief story; I remember thinking that it was quite a serious situation. For my part, because I thought the fact that Anno-san was writing the scripts himself was an important characteristic of the new films, it [seemed] all the more [serious]. Partially because of that, Enokido-san's position, it seemed, was that he would absolutely not submit plots or scripts, but [only] ideas. What came out of this was an extremely eccentric, interesting, Enokido-like idea. In short, [Enokido] proactively made use of the fact that Mari could not simply act as a substitute.

--- In specific terms, how did [Enokido] intend [Mari] to act?

Tsurumaki: To put it simply, it was an idea where Mari completely usurped Asuka's role. For example, Asuka is unable to pilot Unit-02, because Mari is constantly getting to things before Asuka. Mari even thrusts herself into the middle of the relationship between Shinji and Asuka; [Asuka is] completely thwarted. Even though Asuka makes a great effort to fulfil the role she played at the time of the TV series, because Mari is always there it becomes impossible for her to do it; something like that.

--- That's interesting.

Tsurumaki: The reaction of Asuka fans to it would probably be terrifying (laughs). Because, in Enokido's idea, Asuka, thwarted by Mari, is never able to pilot Unit-02. There were voices on the staff pointing out the size of the risk [involved], but Anno-san somehow understood [the idea], saying, "Well, I'm going to take that idea and put it in the script." However...... [this idea] immediately went back to the drawing board (laughs). [6] For example, when Asuka tries to pilot Unit-02 at the time of the battle with the eighth angel, she is told by Ritsuko, "Mari, the pilot who arrived on short notice from Europe, can pilot Unit-02, so you are on standby." Asuka is mortified. That was Enokido's idea, but in Anno-san's script, he changed it so that the two of them would be piloting Unit-02 together (laughs).

[6] これがすぐにまたもとに戻っていくんですよ (笑)。

--- "Ninin-Baori" (laughs)? [7]

[7] This is where someone sits behinds you, usually concealed, and acts as your arms. Here is a clear example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSnKvNh1HfM !!

Tsurumaki: It's excusable to just focus on the good things, but [Anno] was trying so hard to please everybody that the story was becoming confusing. Probably Anno-san thought that the story would not change unless he could deeply connect Mari to it, and for this reason he tried to place all the responsibility for changing the story upon Mari. Nevertheless, contrary to his intentions, even though he had tried to introduce Mari, he was not able to change the story.

--- It's as though some mysterious, compelling force was operating.

Tsurumaki: But, I somehow understand that everyone experiences this. We don't change [so easily], even though we swear, "starting tomorrow, I will change!" (laughs) Being unable [to change] despite knowing [you should]; that's something common to everyone. I think, in due time, Anno-san will reveal the real reason [for its existence] himself, but when Masayuki-san first did the storyboards for the battle with the eighth angel, the scene where the two pilot together was storyboarded, based upon the plot [at that time].

--- How [did Anno] get them both onto [the Eva]?

Tsurumaki: It's as though Asuka secretly got on ahead of time (laughs). It wasn't just there, [though]. Things like that continued to happen almost entirely throughout. So, we were truly in difficulty. [Anno] said there would be changes in "Break," and in practice more than 90% [of the film] was [comprised of] new scenes, but, even though we had taken the trouble to produce this new material, the story had not changed. Of course the situations, the characters, and the dialogue had changed. However, if we examine the significance of what was done there, we will get something like, "Eh? This happened in episode xx," or "This scene [could go] in episode xx."

--- Hmm...... It's as though you repainted [Eva], but the sense or significance of the TV series rose to the surface from the foundation.

Tsurumaki: So, it was coming to seem like a summary version made with some slightly new material. A while ago, I had been told that the "Evangelion" TV series was quite rigidly fixed; it was, I think, certainly like that. [?8] It seemed like, if you change things in one place, things go badly not only there but elsewhere as well; a host of derivative problems arise. If you try to fix it, it's an enormous task to make the story consistent everywhere. [?9]

[?8] さっき言われた「TVシリーズの『エヴァンゲリオン』がかなり強固だった」という感じは、そういう意味では確かにあったと思うんですよ。

[9] それを修正しようとすると、あちこちで膨大な処理というか、つじつま合わせをしなきゃいけない。

--- Even if it goes well, won't the "spirit" of the original series still end up dwelling there?

Tsurumaki: Yes. This sort of thing continued, and for a while we were truly in difficulties. I think that was the main reason the script couldn't be fixed, and that as a result [we] spent so much time doing storyboards.

--- Even though they were deliberated to the point of staging a retreat for the script, there were some things that just couldn't be "boiled down," right? [10]

[10] 脚本のため、合宿をされるほど検討をされても、煮詰めきれないものがあったということでしょうか。

Tsurumaki: Well, I think the Atami Retreat, which Enokido-san participated in, was extremely worthwhile. An audacious idea for the last scene, which was almost all right [as presented], emerged there. That was the development, which remains now, whereby Shinji rescues Rei. As far as the film's climax goes, the work to be done after that hardly concerned us. The difficulty was arranging for Mari's involvement, [which was necessary] in order to bring the story to that point. The most simple solution was - just as in the early stages of the story - to keep Mari's appearances to a minimum, to leave her with no relationship with Shinji or Asuka, and for [the story] to follow a course similar to the TV series. In the end, this [approach] would go the most smoothly. [11]

[11] 結局、一番すんなり行くんですよ。

--- A course leading up to episode 19 of the television series. [?12]

[?12] 第拾九話相当の流れということですね。

Tsurumaki: Yes. Strictly speaking, the part corresponding to episode 19 incorporates parts [of the series] from up to episode 23. Rei self-destructs in the TV series; [here] Shinji rescues her, and she is not made to self-destruct. Keeping things the same besides that was the safest way to do it. However, Mari had appeared [in the story], so she somehow had to act; we had to leave a path open for Mari. That was the most stressful [part].

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:46 pm

Interesting information, thanks again! ^_^ Information on the production process is always fun and informative, I think. (Nice to see a mention of the original plan of New Movie Edition: a 4-film digest of the series with some new material interjected where appropriate.) I really can't wait for the Anno Interview(s) from 1.0 and 2.0, but hearing what the rest of the Kara crew has to say is important too, since this is a team effort.

I just noticed the other interviews aren't split accordingly as separate threads, I'll split the other interviews for you today.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:38 pm

Tsurumaki: The reaction of Asuka fans to it would probably be terrifying (laughs).

HAHAHAHAHA OH WOW

I guess from now on haters brigade is going all out on Ootsuki and Enokido for ruining Rebuild :hahaha:

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:47 pm

Pretty understandable. If Mari, the new character, was wanted by the executive producer for marketing purposes, then the executive producer is one of the reasons we ended up with the disorganized mess we did.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:49 pm

View Original PostLegendary wrote:Pretty understandable. If Mari, the new character, was wanted by the executive producer for marketing purposes, then the executive producer is one of the reasons we ended up with the disorganized mess we did.

I still don't get how anyone can claim 2.0 is "disorganized" film when it is so delibirately paced and structured; you can even break the film down around the halfway point to two different structures etc.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:58 pm

Every big budget franchise film goes through this process. Ideas are tossed around amongst the key creative & financial individuals on the film. Rewrites are common. Characters are removed, re-inserted, shrunken in importance & increased in importance. Eva is a big budget animation franchise sequel, it doesn't compare in scale to Hollywood films but it's the same principle.

Reading the behind the scenes of Eva 2.0 is a very great read. It sounds like all other sequel films and I'm glad to see they're willing to take risks with the name brand. I would've been very VERY disappointed if 2.0 was just another prettier summary of the corresponding NGE episodes like 1.0.
They took some risks with the property, pissed off some fans (mostly Asuka diehards from the sounds of it) & the results is paying off with a new version of Eva that can stand alone without affecting the original version.

2.0 is a FAST PACED FILM, no doubt. But it's hardly disorganized. Now bring on 3.0 Khara!

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:13 pm

I just realized... this latest bit of information is part 1 and 2 of the interview while parts 5 and 6 is where the thread began. I'm assuming the order of the interview will eventually be organized and for now you're getting the translations out of the way? Just curious.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”