Best Pair: What Eva Characters Do You Ship?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:18 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:I counted the Reis as separately. Still. Gendo didn't only bestow bad things upon his offspring - at least Shinji got the attracting-countless-chicks-for-no-apparent-reason-gene.

In fairness only two are really significant in canon NGE (heck, three don't even exist), and even those are iffy.

tehprognoob
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby tehprognoob » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:16 am

still fun to think about.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:21 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:Shinji/Hikari

They do make kind of a cute couple, but there's not all that much tension there. It's almost always really bland, and thus I'd say it only really works in fics where the focus is on someone else.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:01 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:In fairness only two are really significant in canon NGE (heck, three don't even exist), and even those are iffy.

Yes, but those are still not ALL that are attracted to him - he is shown to have a aquired a bunch of random fangirls by episode 5 - You hear them while he is distracted with looking at Rei. If he was less tmid, he could have half the class - not tho mention that the two he actually gets are percieved as unaproachable by the rest of the shool, albeit in different ways - Asuka is shown to have countless fanboys, much to her displeasure. She stomps on the love letters and even kicks the fanboys in the guts in Rebuild. Having her attach your own Name to her insults is HELL of an archievements
Last edited by Kendrix on Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:02 pm

Everything is fine as long as it has canon support and it's not Rei/Shinji, you kawaii incestual fuckos you

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:40 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:not Rei/Shinji
Shinji no imōto ga konna ni kawaii wake ga nai! Or should that be "ni kuudere wake ga nai"?

View Original PostNemZ wrote:[Shinji/Hikari] do make kind of a cute couple
Apart from being a named character, it's much the same as Shinji/other fangirl from class 2A -- a safe sort of pairing -- were it not that her affections are clearly elsewhere.

Besides, if I were to suggest someone other that Touji for Hikari, it would be the person she shared a bed with, and made some highly misconstruable remarks to while doing so.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:48 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Besides, if I were to suggest someone other that Touji for Hikari, it would be the person she shared a bed with, and made some highly misconstruable remarks to while doing so.

Given the reasons for your hostility toward the Shinji/Asuka pairing, it seems really odd that you'd support that one.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:59 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Given the reasons for your hostility toward the Shinji/Asuka pairing, it seems really odd that you'd support that one.

I think Hikari would make a pretty funny disturbed face (Think of ep 9) if you told her that; I think she and Asuka are both pretty heterosexual XD

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:16 pm

Gratuitous copying Bardi because our preferences are the same:

View Original PostAngelNo13Bardiel wrote:Asuka/Shinji (been made clear enough in the past I shouldn't need to say it, but...)
Rei/Kaworu (still one of the proud few)
Misato/Kaji (it is canon, after all)
Hikari/Toji (same here)
Yui/Gendo (ditto)
Ritsuko/Maya (mmm...delicious potential yuri)
Mari/Kensuke (hey, everybody's just gotta have that one "left-field" choice)

Though I like the idea of Mari/Kensuke/Mayumi because I'm a weirdo. :tongue:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:21 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:I think Hikari would make a pretty funny disturbed face (Think of ep 9) if you told her that; I think she and Asuka are both pretty heterosexual XD

That's what I was getting at, yes. Tines reasons that the A/S pairing is nonsense because they're like oil and water (untrue IMO, but anyway), and you can't get much more oil and waterish than incompatible sexual preferences.

S/H, though boring, is one of the more plausible pairings out there. Yes yes, she's in love with Toji, but she's a teenage girl. Wait five minutes.

(not to say true love can't happen, but anyone who's made it past their teens knows it's damn unlikely.)

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:29 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:Besides, if I were to suggest someone other that Touji for Hikari, it would be the person she shared a bed with, and made some highly misconstruable remarks to while doing so.

...which is why Shinji/Hikari is usually just a sidestory in an Asuka/Toji fic.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:34 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:That's what I was getting at, yes. Tines reasons that the A/S pairing is nonsense because they're like oil and water (untrue IMO, but anyway), and you can't get much more oil and waterish than incompatible sexual preferences.

S/H, though boring, is one of the more plausible pairings out there. Yes yes, she's in love with Toji, but she's a teenage girl. Wait five minutes.

(not to say true love can't happen, but anyone who's made it past their teens knows it's damn unlikely.)

too bad that you need some plot for a FF. I'm not saying it's impossible, but S/H would get boring fast if you're not a particulary talented writer.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:36 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:because they're like oil and water
More that she's out of his league, and if upper class girls go looking downwards, they're after a piece of rough -- which makes Asuka/Touji as in the other live action interlude so much more plausible.

As for A/H

you have to take that totally out of context to even start to get as much as a hint of class S between the two of them. Still, it's fun to run with that thought -- and there are the doujins to show for it.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:47 pm

Asuka's lineage crap split out to viewtopic.php?t=10437

supershinjiasukashipper
"doggy"

•      
  •      

Postby supershinjiasukashipper » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:15 am

kendrix wrote:Forget Asuka! How can you say such horrible things about poor, poor Shinji?
What has Shinji ever done to you?`*don't take me seriously either*

EDIT: Oh, I missed your Edit. Eh... Sorry. Yes, Ceasefire is a good Idea. I'll go cheer up our poor, poor Shinji now.XD

Don't worry kendrix, Shinji is in a good place now, he is planted between Asuka's arms with his face in her boobs. He is happy and confused as to the sudden act of kindness.
Interesting Quote:
ANTA just went full BAKA - Tines-sans reaction to my MS paint thread fail.
my fanfic.net account, enjoy my work, praise me! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2164682/
Forgive my spelling errors, my keyboard acts quite weird weird.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:39 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:...which is why Shinji/Hikari is usually just a sidestory in an Asuka/Toji fic.

I've seen Shinji/Hikari done many times, but I've yet to see a siingle Asuka/Toji fic.

Edit: Not to say they aren't out there, mind. Just that they seem to be less common than they're made out to be here.

View Original PostKendrix wrote:too bad that you need some plot for a FF. I'm not saying it's impossible, but S/H would get boring fast if you're not a particulary talented writer.

That's true of Eva fanfic in general though, honestly.

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

•      
  •      

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:41 am

View Original PostNightweaver20xx wrote:What I would like to know, however, is an explanation as to WHY a veritable legion of fans WANT S/A, if it's (and it is, even I admit that) so very obvious in the series they aren't in love. Just what is it we fans (myself included, little bit of psychoanalysis there) see in that pairing that makes us all uguuuuu with nostalgia and warmth? THERE'S NO WARMTH THERE. It's all basically "I'm gonna punch you in the face, Shinji" and strangulation on a beach.

I've wondered this for years, now. I read stuff like Re-take and Epilogue of Eva and Raising Project and I LOVE it, despite myself, despite my knowing it's an impossible pairing. So what gives, geeks?

Honest answer? Because I have hope. Long version: if those two can, for even the barest of moments or the most remote of possibilities, look at the other and think 'just maybe'...well, it gives a weary and disgruntled soul like mine hope and faith that other people (I'm talking IRL here) can understand one another someday. It's only a dream, but hey...a boy can dream, right?

And yeah, like essel said earlier, they're adorable together (I do love me some good A/S dialogue, their interactions are always interesting). What, you were looking for something more than that? Well, let me be the first to pop that bubble.
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

Born of Lilith
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Born of Lilith » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:06 am

View Original PostNightweaver20xx wrote:What I would like to know, however, is an explanation as to WHY a veritable legion of fans WANT S/A, if it's (and it is, even I admit that) so very obvious in the series they aren't in love. Just what is it we fans (myself included, little bit of psychoanalysis there) see in that pairing that makes us all uguuuuu with nostalgia and warmth? THERE'S NO WARMTH THERE. It's all basically "I'm gonna punch you in the face, Shinji" and strangulation on a beach.

I've wondered this for years, now. I read stuff like Re-take and Epilogue of Eva and Raising Project and I LOVE it, despite myself, despite my knowing it's an impossible pairing. So what gives, geeks?

I agree. Maybe I just don't get how S/A is an ingenious subversion of romance tropes or something, but there's more warmth between Shinji and Rei, tons more. And it's Rei we're talking about. That's really saying something.
SWAG
ME
THE
FUCK
OUT

Six Winged Angel
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Six Winged Angel » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:18 am

Though I'm a sworn Rei fan, I much prefer AsukaXShinji, because theirs is a very interesting and unusual relationship which shows that love hurts. Also I'm not much into incest stuff :P To me, ReixKaworu seems much more appealing- opposites attract each other! (even though they are practically "the same", their characters are really polar opposites.)
~But someday you will come to understand that on your back, there are wings with which you can fly on the distant future.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:32 am

View Original PostBorn of Lilith wrote:I agree. Maybe I just don't get how S/A is an ingenious subversion of romance tropes or something, but there's more warmth between Shinji and Rei, tons more. And it's Rei we're talking about. That's really saying something.

Of course there is. She's a clone of his mother, inhabited by the soul of the progenitor of all life on Earth! There would have to be a bond there of some sort. It's just way too simplistic to insist that it needs to be romantic.

I guess this is what really gets me about Eva fandom: pairings have to be romantic, and it's either all or nothing. People see warmth between Rei and Shinji and insist it must be love, or they listen to Kaworu's dialogue and immediately start in with the slashfic, or they see Asuka reacting badly to Shinji's reactions to her advances and assume she's deeply in love with him. But none of these are particularly valid responses to what we see on screen -- human relationships are much more complex than the simplistic love/not love we see trotted out in these sorts of threads.

A/S is not true love. A viewer would have to be very young, very naive, or both to think it was. But that's not really the point. The point is that, after what they've been through, they can make it work (this is true for most people, btw; as long as they share some common ground most people can learn to live together even if they aren't madly in love with one another). And, given this, it's a pairing worth pursuing as it gives us a vehicle for exploring both characters in greater detail.

Naturally, we can do this with other pairings as well, but they're a lot less interesting IMO if the writers default to romantic interactions (Rei loses pretty much all of her capital when used as a love interest, for example. Kaworu's even worse). It's far more satisfying, IMO, to explore other sorts of human relationships, and use those to define the characters in ways that veer away from the norm even though they still ring true for the characters in question.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”