What anime are you watching right now? Feb-Dec 2010

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:05 pm

View Original PostBorn of Lilith wrote:Gratuitous violence, violence against women, violence against children and incest in anime... unheard of.

Hey wait a sec.

OH NO YOU DIDN'T

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:10 pm

There's incest in eva? Or violence against animals?

wut

planet news
Armisael
Armisael

Postby planet news » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:24 pm

View Original PostOz wrote:Are you talking about Tatami Galaxy or Kuragehime? In any case, that's awesome.
Tatami. Mainly... the expressionistic character designs and color pallets atop SZS-style backgrounds and intertitles atop pho-Ukiyo-e allusions mixed with posterized film and perfectly timed classical music cues all surrounding the often hyper-paced, essentially non-temporal plot. Also, almost needless to say, someone like me can identify with the main character in whatever minor ways the show allows. Mainly... it's for the art style; simply amazing.
"Crab People, look like crab, talk like people. Crab people . . ."

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:30 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:There's incest in eva?
:shinchair:
Or violence against animals?

Poor pen² saw things that no man should...

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:32 pm

Re: Elfen Lied - I could never understand how anyone could take EL's narrative seriously. Let's take harem comedy and mix it with badly written grimdark mad scientist plot, and then throw in a few lazily written situations about how EVIL and DESTRUCTIVE mankind is. Is there any reason people continue to watch it beyond the soap-opera melodrama and the shock value?
View Original Postplanet news wrote:Tatami. [...] Mainly... it's for the art style; simply amazing.
welcome to Yuasaland.

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:39 pm

When did Elfen Lied had incest? :???:
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:41 pm

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:When did Elfen Lied had incest? :???:
Many Americans think cousin relationships count as incest.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Born of Lilith
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Born of Lilith » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:43 pm

I'm pretty sure that isn't a taboo in Japan, though.

At least Kouta didn't successfully grab his female relative's tits. :shifty:

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:51 pm

View Original PostMerridian wrote:Is there any reason people continue to watch it beyond the soap-opera melodrama and the shock value?

As FUNimation would say - Boobies for the win

Well, I think people just adore series that take themselves way too seriously (considering the content) so they feel like they're watching something highly intellectual and mentally stimulating.

Also no matter how bad drama is executed, there are people that can't get enough of it and will defend it and its plausibility. I mean, characters just acting out of character or no common sense was present before their actions (they act like retards, is what I'm saying) is A-OK if it stirs up some drama.

Meh, I think enough has been said in the EL thread. Sorry for making a deal out of it, I wasn't actually serious or anything.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:40 pm

Incest in NGE? wtf. There ain't any.

View Original PostGVman wrote:The main thing I'm watching right now is the original Macross. I just got to ep 11 and the mention of "Protoculture" really peaked my interests.

Shit is awesome, pay no attention to TDSA (as should be rule of conduit by now)

there are some hilarious QUALITY moments though.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:49 pm

TUNAAAAAAA IN SPAAAAAAACE

That is all.

Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:50 pm

pay no attention to TDSA

No, pay no attention to Xard, he doesn't know what makes mecha series good.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:16 pm

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:When did Elfen Lied had incest? :???:

First cousins counts.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Born of Lilith
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Born of Lilith » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:25 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Incest in NGE? wtf. There ain't any.

Well, Shinji does grab Rei's tits... and Gendo sticks his hand inside of one of them to impregnate her with Adam... yeeeah.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:52 pm

^gropage isn't incest, and Gendo isn't even related to Rei. :huh:

@GVman: Macross rules.

toe mash wrote:Well, I think people just adore series that take themselves way too seriously (considering the content) so they feel like they're watching something highly intellectual and mentally stimulating.
I guess you're right. EL isn't so "stimulating" that most audiences give up trying to understand what's going on (as I'd imagine some might would with shit like Mouryou no Hako), but it's written with just barely enough doramaz that it distinguishes itself from shonenshit or regular comedy. I just wish that the narrative didn't come off like some angst-ridden teenager's submission for nanorimo.

Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:58 pm

My day officially blows, let me explain:

I found the first of the two Aquarion OVAs on YouTube, they were in Spanish subtitles but were still there. I was very happy because Aquarion's my third favorite anime after Shin Mazinger Z and the second TTGL movie. Ten minutes in part 1 is done, then I go to part 2. HOW MUCH FILM DID THEY FRIGGIN' SKIP!?!?!?!? COME ON! I looked forward to this and it was very promising! GAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!! :yuck: :stubborn: :irked: :raz: :grmf: :nono: :impatient: :hmph: :pout: >_< :headbash: :headdesk: :angry: :thumbsdown: :angry!!: :fume: :argh: :explode: :shout: :rant: :fistshake: :soapbox: :tantrum:
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:37 pm

^dude, lay off the caffeine, and trust me, I KNOW caffeine
View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Many Americans think cousin relationships count as incest.
that's because it does
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:52 am

The new PSG episode is awesome, as always.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:27 am

:rofl:

I'm very late (nearly a week) but anyway:

Roll over Ranka the old and busted, there's new moe bitch in town

(...and she even copied Kira :D Kirino's moefaggotry is priceless as always)

I loved that scene. :lol:

The metahumour kills me:

So in comes the meta joke: a girl who looks just like Meruru, and Kirino's classmate, Kanako, saves the day, by winning the contest for Ayase. The joke is two fold--first we have a girl who, in the anime, can pass off as the real Meruru. Then we have the voice actress for Kanako, who happens to be the same voice actress for who Meruru parodies in real life (think: Nanoha). We even had a brief appearance of Meruru's in-anime voice actress, which is also voiced by the same real life actress as Kanako. In the end you have this weird Ouroboros of meta, that only the kimoi otaku would really get. Even the two-face act that Kanako puts up is almost like what certain fans of Yukari Tamura can appreciate.

Brilliant. Yukari Tamura is awesome :hahaha:

Oh, and this was pretty much cutest thing ever:

I really thought she was voiced by a real child but apparently that isn't the case... Damn good performance by the seyuu in that case.

ps. I love the way this show knows how to please it's fans. Last week I was hoping for another Ayase ep and what do I get?

FUCK YEAH :w00t:

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:39 am

View Original PostXard wrote:Brilliant. Yukari Tamura is awesome :hahaha:

I'm telling you, her performance in this years B gata H kei was amazing. I never heard her before that series, but I was really impressed by her charisma and range when doing funny voices.

I see why the contest host was so surprised upon hearing Kanako, they have the exact same voice :lol: (that contest host is supposed to be Meruru's seiyuu, of course also voiced by Yukari)

Anyway, yeah, that episode was nice even though I thought they would take these last few episodes to get some (direct) progress between Kyousuke/Kirino.

Return to “Old Stickies”