What anime are you watching right now? Feb-Dec 2010

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:35 pm

Ika Musume 09: AWWW!! She made a real friend. This whole episode made me laugh. Also we got to see my favorite character in fight mood, Chizuru. Also Chizuru = Chi (Chobits). Chi, Chi, hehe.

Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru 09: I love this show. Like P&S I didn't like it that much at the start but after watching and watching I love it. The ping pong battle was pretty epic. And I really liked the whole Rainbow Delights mystery although not a big fan of time travel if it doesn't involve a DeLorean. I think the antique shop owner is my favorite character.. or Kon.

Yosuga no Sora 09: Awww, that was the perfect end. So cute. Also the very end wasn't bad either.

Ore no Imouto 10: Pure awesomeness. I liked this one a lot, even though that little brat made the English girl cry. She was my favorite character because you can tell she was only doing it because she loved it. Poor little girl...

EDIT: P&S 10: The music part was definitely the best here, I probably would've liked it x10 if I knew all of the references. Chuck to the Future was nowhere near what I expected...
Last edited by IrkenEvangelion on Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:55 pm

View Original PostIrkenEvangelion wrote:Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru 09: ... I think the antique shop owner is my favorite character.. or Kon.

I'd rather have an entire series focusing on Kon instead of as it is.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:07 am

From the anime stand point, the show mostly focuses on the maid cafe and Arashiyama. Kon barely fits in there. I suppose if I read the manga first it'd be different though. I'll have to. I like the antique shop owner though.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:13 am

View Original PostIrkenEvangelion wrote:From the anime stand point, the show mostly focuses on the maid cafe and Arashiyama. Kon barely fits in there.

Well, I was suggesting a complete rewrite of the show. It's not that the show isn't good or funny as it is, but it's hardly memorable apart from a few scenes. It will be one of those shows I will entirely forget about once it ends.
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:16 am

Well, got around watching enough Panty & Stocking to put it on my dropped list (I don't count TV series as dropped until I've seen at least 2 episodes). It has the sort of horrifying fascination of a car crash -- is it really carrying on being this dumb? -- but that's about all. Having been around when Johnny Rotten originally wanted to be anarchy, finding an autotuned J-pop response shows that everything is going to be assimilated sooner or later. Very much "GAINAX, I am disappoint."

Meanwhile, carrying on with the underappreciated (or at least under-mentioned) shows of the season (and one from earlier in the year) -- Giant Killing, Letter Bee, Virgin Pomegranate Monster, and Super Robot Wars. SRW may be a fairly incoherent muddle in terms of its story, but it's way closer to the sort of thing that anime signifies to me than the much more talked about mass of vaguely perverted high-school rom-com.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:12 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Panty & Stocking

At least watch episode 6. If you did, your taste is baffling as ever :tongue:

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:54 am

Panty & Stocking is only superficially dumb and vulgar. If you dig a bit deeper you'll find that it's a really clever satire of a lot of things - and it gets better all the time. Episode 10 was so awesome everyone who saw it went bonkers due to its sheer brilliance.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:44 pm

Goddamn Crystal Triangle man

what the fuck did I just watch :rofl:

3/10

I can't put in words what I just watched and instead suggest you read this :lol:

pants-on-head-retarded it was, sheesh

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Dr. Nick » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:44 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Goddamn Crystal Triangle man

what the fuck did I just watch :rofl:

What's the matter? Too much ADVENTURE and EXCITEMENT for you?

By the way, California Crisis was pretty cool, like being hit in the head with an extremely well-shaded object. Thanks for name-dropping that.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:48 pm

View Original Posttoe mash wrote:At least watch episode 6. If you did, your taste is baffling as ever :tongue:
That I didn't watch, having skipped directly from episode 2 to episode 10.

I'd watched the first episode at the time and was underwhelmed, but over the weekend, as /a/ was so continually fellating episode 10, decided to give it a second chance; which consisted of episode 2 (being the tidy-minded sort of chap that I am) before going directly to 10 to see what all the fuss had been about and as a final chance.

The song could have been a bit of an earworm, but it didn't stand a chance against other stuff that's gotten a lot of airtime lately (Asia's Finger on the Trigger, for example). All the rest, well, meh. Technically well done, but all in all a total and utter waste of talent.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:02 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:That I didn't watch, having skipped directly from episode 2 to episode 10.

Episode 6 is easily the best episode so far. Every episode since has been compared to it, for a reason - It took full advantage of Panty and Stocking's potential. I'd recommend checking it out just to see how good the music (I mean, unless you just don't like the style) and animation can be. It's really impressive, I accidentally blurted "Wow" the first time I saw the amazing action sequence (unlike most anime it isn't 30 seconds long, it's the better half of the 2nd part of the episode).

Star Driver 10 - Another disappointing episode, bawww, lame

Ore no Imo 10 - Fucking meruru song is too catch-MERU MERU MERU MERU MERU MERU MER MERU MERU MERU MERU MERU MERU MER!

Yukari Tamura's voice is so sugary, it's funny thinking she played a slut that wants to bed 100 guys. Before she began high school.

Yosuga no Sora 10 - What the fuck? Since when is YnS censored? Damn you black moon beams!
Also is it me or did the quality REALLY drop for a few seconds..
Last edited by toe mash on Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:09 pm

View Original Posttoe mash wrote:Ore no Imo 10 - Fucking meruru song is too catch-MERU MERU MERU MERU MERU MERU MER MERU MERU MERU MERU MERU MERU MER!

Totally agree. Even though that girl's a bitch.

View Original Posttoe mash wrote:Yosuga no Sora 10 - What the fuck? Since when is YnS censored? Damn you black moon beams!
Also is it me or did the quality REALLY drop for a few seconds..

That's exactly what I said 6 minutes ago. I was like come on! I don't want to wait for the stupid BD rip. About the quality, it looked like that one shot was zoomed in tremendously so maybe they hesitated to put to many black bars?

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:13 pm

View Original PostIrkenEvangelion wrote:That's exactly what I said 6 minutes ago. I was like come on! I don't want to wait for the stupid BD rip. About the quality, it looked like that one shot was zoomed in tremendously so maybe they hesitated to put to many black bars?

Perhaps. I doubt I'll download the BD rip, but I wonder how it'll look then. This is really weird considering they had no problem with the other scenes till now.

Also it was bad enough to remind me of this infamous pic..

It's funny how after those few shitty seconds the quality jumps back up to the usual, surprisingly good, art.

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:34 pm

I just finished Working!! This show needs a season 2. This is one of my new favorites as well. I love how we don't find out who Maya is until the last episode. It seems odd she's been working there the whole show and we don't even know who she is. Also I think I look a lot like Takanashi. Love the OP and ED songs. An all around favorite of mine. Although someone should've hooked up with someone else by the end there. I liked the sisters a lot too, I feel they were given a good amount of screen time but I personally would've liked to see them more.

Ika Musume 10: Ika's good at drawing, especially Sanae. Speaking of her I'm GLaD she got her own "episode" I like her. I also like the ED, both the song and the animation of it because they subtlety add something different in every time.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:04 pm

The Fractale trailer is out. I always say that I'll watch anything with the words "jinrui", "sekai", and "shisutem" in it.

Also Engrish translations of the Newtype scans (I'm definitely watching this, Yamakan or no):

SPOILER: Show
“To this crumbling world, stance against.”
“In this “decadence future” theater, a fantasy adventure painted by one boy and one girl arise!”

After the completion of Fractale System, the history of civilization enter the era where human don’t have to work anymore; such a blissful age.

And 1000 years later-

Because the system is working so well, no more people studied about it anymore, they just put humanity’s blissful condition on the maintenance system imployed by Fractale; and the story started when Fractale started collapsing, in a faraway island, on the corner of a big continent…

One day, a boy who lives his life in a meaningless way named Clain was chased by something. He cornered and fell down into a cliff, where he saved a girl named Phryne who he immediately fell in love with. But then, from the brooch left by Phyrne appeared a girl locked inside it, Nessa.

While searching for Phyrne together with Nessa, Clain will learn about the secrets about the system…

Clain, 14 years old (Kurein)

A young beta male who lives alone in a remote yet carefree island blessed by the Fractale Design.
A vintage lover who loves to tamper with machinery yet active, he likes cycling.
Chased by unknown thing and got involved in a lot of trouble since he helped Phryne.

Phryne, 16 years old (Furyune)

A young shrine maiden from a “monastery” who manages the Fractale Design.
Born, lived and grew up in the “monastery”, she knows nothing about the outside world, and that makes her oftenly disconnected from the world around her.
Lost her brooch when helped by Clain after being chased when she sneaked out from the “monastery”.

Nessa, 10 years old (Nessa)

She is a Doppel who appear from Phryne’s lost brooch. Innocent and full with curiosity.
Different with normal Doppel, Clain can only touch her while she maintains her “perfect girl body” form.
With its high level of functionality, it could cause the sorrounding’s data circuit and memory to be overly pressured.

Enri, 13 years old (Enri)

The eldest daughter from Granit, a family supporting “Lost Millenium” underground movement. She is also Sunda’s sister.
As Sunda’s right hand, she made sure all of their subordinates comply to the family’s rules. She has a cheerful personality to cover her serious attitude.
Although she have caused a lot of trouble to wherever she went because of her clumsy attitude, she is still an important person in “Lost Millenium” movement.

Sunda, 20 years old (Sunda)

He is the leader behind Granit, and Enri’s older brother.
To achieve a world where human can live like human should be, without relying to Fractale Design, that is his plan.
Still very young, but could handle the organization with his intellect, charisma, and cool personality.
He is also a fiery and narcissist person.

Also calling it now, the Fractale System represents the anime industry and Crane represents Yamakan.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:13 pm

Sheesh, so many posts to reply to and shit to talk about but for now:

Katanagatari: BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA THE ANI-

OH YOU :lol:

I finally started watching this as final episode aired today.

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:01 pm

View Original PostXard wrote: I finally started watching this as final episode aired today.

I wanted to watch this for a while now but I wasn't sure if it's worth the time.
You are hereby appointed as my guinea pig.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:56 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:*Fractale*
this is gonna be awesome. I've been hoping for Kino's Journey/Haibane Renmei-tier, and this preview reinforces that. Thanks for sharing!

------
Watched the 1996 Black Jack movie and Barefoot Gen over last few days, as well as continuing Zeta Gundam. Black Jack was awesome, full of the doctor being an all-around badass and Dezaki following suit. My only complaint regards an abuse of Dezaki's still-shots; he incorporates them well, and he knows how to use them to full effect, but I think in this he actually overuses the technique. The first fifteen minutes felt like there were still-shots thrown in at the end of every scene. I love the things, but man, enough is enough sometimes. There could be some complaints made about the narrative, but the slightly odd pacing and bizarre plot didn't bother me at all. The protagonist's level of badass more than made up for that.

Barefoot Gen was a little disappointing, but not bad. I can see how Grave of the Fireflies has since overshadowed it a bit, and TBH GotF is a lot better. But Gen was alright. I'd been told it was a children's cartoon, but it had more horrific imagery than I anticipated. It suited the darker atmosphere, but most of the presentation's cartoonishness undermined the "horrific realities" it was trying to depict.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:50 pm

Fuck yeah, Fractale. One of the two noitamina shows I'm going to watch next season.

As for the actual topic, Paradise Kiss is still a bit baffling: masterfully written but lazily directed (even though it's by Osamu Kobayashi). I love how its "grown up" and edgy atmosphere creates a lovely juxtaposition to Kimi ni Todoke which I started a few days ago. In short: the best shoujo anime ever. ;___;

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:11 am

Katanagatari -- the original LN reviewed here : http://theeasternstandard.blogspot.com/ ... r-end.html

Fractale -- seems the only title for next season that doesn't condemn itself from the get-go with "normal student until", "a girl falls on him" and LOL Japan gratuitous and discordant cute girls in nominally un-cute contexts (Nyarly-ko, I'm looking at you in particular).

OTOH, word of mouth on the the associated manga (which seems to be a parallel production to publicise the anime) is that it's mediocre, so I'm not expecting more than eye candy scenery. The character art style in the PV looked pretty bland, sub-Ghibli stuff.

But then the Q1 season is always fairly thin on stuff every year. Maybe Q2 will be better, but I'm not holding my breath.

Return to “Old Stickies”