What anime are you watching right now? Feb-Dec 2010

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:06 am

@Xard  SPOILER: Show
Xard wrote: I actually just watched this one too. I think I gave it 5/10, it was mindnumbingly average but not bad per se. Animation was occasionally pretty damn good too, especially in the wrestling scenes towards end (dat camera movement). Oh, and the baddie was pretty smexy, propably since she looked like a cheap Lum knockoff.
I think that’s what I gave it as well. The bad girl reminded me of B-Ko more than Lum, probably because she was always angry.

Xard wrote: Normal girl is too normal and foureyed to compete. In other words she's rather boring character to me. Charming but nothing special. She'd suit Kyousuke fine though - but she's childhood friends which means her chances of winning are next to nil. Japan has grudge towards childhood friends
having the normal girl “win” would be refreshing, even if she is a childhood friend. But she’s already been friendzoned anyway. Oh well. Considering that this show is just as packed with character cliches as everything else out there, "normal" is almost refreshing enough to cancel out the fact that she's still the childhood friend. It's not so bad because she still isn't the tsundere childhood friend. :lol:

Xard wrote: Although I really don't care who ends up "winning" in the end, as long as it isn't Kirino.
seeing as how the novels are still unfinished, I’m not sure the show will offer that kind of ending. And as much as it does have all the clichés of the run-of-the-mill harem, it’s strangely more than that. Kyousuke’s the protagonist, but much like MoHS, he’s not usually the primary focus of the narrative. All the action originates with or is tangentially caused by Kirino. Aside from Normalgirl, the harem aspects of the show all rely on Kirino about as much as they’re connected to Kyousuke.

Xard wrote:*OVAs*
Gunsmith Cats is supposed to be great, but I haven’t seen it yet. I saw pieces of it ages ago on VHS, but not the whole thing. Maybe that was just a preview. I can’t remember now.

Xard wrote: Talk about wasted potential. Why didn't Watanabe direct this himself?
does he have any plans of directing ANYTHING in the future? I wish he’d come back with something kickass again.

Xard wrote: It all gets worse towards end with Michiko performing some absolutely ridiculous stunts that conflict against her generally "realistic" capabilities.
:lol: wait what generally realistic capabilities? MtH started out basking in unrealistic action right from the prison break and nonsensical scooter shenanigans in the first episodes.

That strange complaint about action aside, I don’t have much to disagree with. I think its flaws were largely down played when I watched it because I spaced it out over so long a time period. I thought it worked really well as an episodic anime, and if it had stayed with that after the first ‘arc’ then things would probably have turned out much better. The writing got blurry and uneven as the whole crime gang thing started to become more pronounced, but it only rarely did it lapse into “bad” territory (I distinctly remember Michiko taking on the role of a matador at one point that struck me as dumb, but there weren’t many parts that were worse than that). Characters were its strongest feature, though. Characters and animation. And color pallet. And music. In fact, everything was good except some of the writing & directing.

Xard wrote: [Yamato] wasn't as good as what I've seen of Harlock or GE999 as far as Matsumoto's stuff is considered but great nonetheless.
ironically the main thing you pinged on in your minireview could easily be leveled at Harlock or GE999, since GE999 is notoriously long and episodic while Harlock is itself extremely episodic and slowly paced and for good reason. Looking back on it, I do think Harlock did a better job with its pacing—particularly after the first ten or fifteen episodes—but both of them were still rooted in that “deliver 25 min of quality entertainment per week” episodic mentality. Progressing the overall plot is important, but so is the struggle of the week, so is the excuse to show the Yamato in action, etc. It was only once the series really got underway that things like dogfights and lasers everywhere and death to the gamilons could take a break for an episode or two so characters could be better explored. Same thing happens in Harlock as well, though from what I remember Harlock’s tangential episodes were still a little more plot-related than a few of SBY’s.

And yeah the Robot was retarded, but… lol70s

Random sidenote: this scene reminded me of EoE (that was in one of the later episodes, but I can’t remember which; it was the one where Kodai and Sanada (the science officer) go to blow the shit out of some asteroid base). Did you get the same flashbacks? :lol:

Xard wrote: Future Boy Conan
well I know what I’ll be starting at some point…

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby EvangelionFan » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:44 am

I watched the Read or Die OVA. It was gooood.
Voluntary Illusion.

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:11 am

Let me describe how the second TTGL movie went out:

-Okay, I thought the first one was pretty good, maybe it'll meet my expectations
-Okay, they skipped most of the battle of Tepplin for talking........
-Okay, Anti Spirals finally appear
-Okay, it's got the spirit of the last few episodes
-Okay, the battle with TTGL and Grand Zamboa was...... Wait, shorter?
-More Tengen Toppas!?
-More action!?
-More extension on battle times!?
-SUPER TENGEN TOPPA GURREN LAGANN!
-SUPER GRAND ZAMBOA!
-SUPER TENGEN TOPPA/ANTI SPIRAL GIGA DRILL BREAK!!!!!!!!!
-Simon uses a Giga Drill Break!
-EEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPIIIIIIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCCCCCCCC WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Second best anime after Shin Mazinger Z, only reason it isn't the best is because they could have used their music better. :bigguns:
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:46 pm

I just watched 5 Centimeters per Second.

Impressive.

I have no other words.

Nothing super ground-breaking but still very...

I liked it very much.

Definitely getting a physical copy of this.

I´m currently looking forward to Voices of a Distant Star and The Place Promised in Our Early Days, I´ll be watching them as soon as possible.

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:50 pm

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:Nothing super ground-breaking but still very...
I was really impressed that I finally watched a romance anime that doesn't make me facepalm every few minutes. Speaking of which..

Kaichou wa Maid-Sama - errr... The first third of it looked like there was potential, but after that barely anything happens till the end. If the main part of this show is the romance, then it was drawn out WAY too long. A lot of the episodes could have been thrown out and it wouldn't make a difference. The show could have been 13 episodes easily, I suppose.

Also, I find it odd that Misaki's working at the maid cafe isn't that important to the show, but more of the trigger that starts the series and a comedy relief thing throughout most of the series. I mean, it is in the title of the show and all.

The love triangle bit at the end was really forced (having the rival appear at the very end of a series is pretty dumb), and Usui's perfectness was getting a bit boring by that point.

This is my first romance shoujo show, so it's a little hard to compare it to anything else. The only similar thing I've seen was probably Honey and Clover (which is a josei) or maybe Toradora (which isn't such a girly highschool romcom), both of which were better. Maybe the genre isn't really for me, but I suppose there are much better examples out there so I shouldn't jump to conclusions.

6/10

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:27 pm

Currently watching Bakemonogatari.
Currently at the third episode(WTF IS THAT OPENING).

Delicious 1080p screencaps:
http://sadpanda.us/images/299729-AXUFSRA.jpg
http://sadpanda.us/images/299731-6PZVJJT.jpg
http://sadpanda.us/images/299732-WWS68QV.jpg

I really can´t see why people say it´s bad.
Sure, the animation and the placement of the characters into the backgrounds look bad or are terribly off sometimes, but I like the show.

Natsuka_Chie
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Natsuka_Chie » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:33 pm

It's my 4th favourite anime of all times. I think people don't like it because they don't like the pace of it, or the infinite puns they put everywhere. But if you're on 3rd episode and you like it, you'll probably like it even more after the Snake arc.

btw, senjougahara is awesome :w00:
Asuka's not a bitch, she just denies her innocence in a bitchy way.
Sites I'm in: Deviantart|XFire
Quotes:
"Yesterday, I had the most TERRIFYIN' experience! ...Last night, I was all alone in my room... when outta nowhere... CAME THE SMELL OF A FART THAT WASN'T MINE!"
"The things I possess are my life and soul. I'm a vessel for my heart"
"God isn't home. He's on vacation at Vegas."

"Don't forget. Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you. As long as you remember them, you're not alone."

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:43 pm

New episode of SRW OG: The Inspector, bow before Gravlion and it's Ideon spamming!

So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:36 pm

Bakemonogatari is disliked because it's pretty much the most pretentious series out there. From a formal perspective it's a great accomplishment, but in the writing department it fails.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:59 pm

View Original PostOz wrote:Bakemonogatari is disliked because it's pretty much the most pretentious series out there. From a formal perspective it's a great accomplishment, but in the writing department it fails.

From what I've seen it's the other way around

I still don't get what the fuck Bakemonogatari BD rips have against me. I've tried 3 different rips by different groups and same problem hits me every time. This doesn't happen with any other mkv files.

Fucking SHAFT

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:05 pm

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:I really can´t see why people say it´s bad.

Hideous pretension, dull writing, lolshaft.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:51 pm

Huh.
I like it so far.

Watched the first episode of Katanagatari.
Looks promising.

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby LiLi » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:11 pm

I saw the latest Bleach movie (Jigoku Hen).
SPOILER: Show

Somewhat... formulaic? But I'd say it was decent, with a couple of touching moments and a few visually impressive sequences (but maybe it was the hunger playing games with my eyes? :lol:).
They gave us a free manga too.
"People need more stfu in their diets." (NemZ)
"It was brainf@rt at first sight." [LiLi on Romance, II]

AVATAR - CUPCAKE CAT, SHOPPED BY NemZ

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:24 pm

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:Currently watching Bakemonogatari.

I thought BMG was great. It is pretentious I guess, because a lot of the dialog is presented in a very convoluted way to make it seem like there is more going on that what appears to be, but still a lot of fun and you will often see lines rarely spoken in anime.

The series gets MUCH better after the (boring) Mayoi snail arc. You should of course also check out the extra episodes 13-15, although they are a bit weak compared to the ending of the aired episodes.

Oh yeah, Senjougahara is one of the best female characters of the last few years, haters gonna hate. Not to mention Chiwa Saito fucking nailed the part.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:33 pm

View Original Posttoe mash wrote:The series gets MUCH better after the (boring) Mayoi snail arc. You should of course also check out the extra episodes 13-15, although they are a bit weak compared to the ending of the aired episodes.

The final story arc is incomplete without the "extra episodes". The writing is on the backburner for most of the show and that's quite unreasonable. The only exception I can accept is the Suruga Monkey arc because Kanbaru is so damn awesome. Otherwise it's FANSERVICE, FANSERVICE EVERYWHERE until the final story arc comes and kicks the story into another gear - only to do pretty much nothing with it. Supposedly deep supernatural metaphors and witty dialogue distract from the fact that the series doesn't really have anything to offer. The dialogue is pretty much the only enjoyable thing about the writing - it is quite complex indeed and hard to execute. But somehow Shinbo pulls it off.
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:37 pm

View Original PostOz wrote:The final story arc is incomplete without the "extra episodes"....

They do add some..uh.. "extra" closure, but it's just that the ending of episode 15 was so so very disappointing. I still have no idea what happened; it didn't really make sense and seemed a bit too convenient.

But you have to admit that the conversation between Hitagi/Ararararararararargi at episode 12 was sweet. Much better than typical romance anime conversations, in any case.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:59 pm

View Original Posttoe mash wrote:But you have to admit that the conversation between Hitagi/Ararararararararargi at episode 12 was sweet. Much better than typical romance anime conversations, in any case.

Depends on what you consider a "typical romance anime conversation", but yeah, that episode was probably the best one in the whole show. Too bad that quality didn't last for long.

---

I just realized I haven't updated my anime status in 20+ pages so here's a short summary.

Since I haven't written anything about the first season of Toaru Majutsu no Index I feel obliged to say something about it first. Its plot-heavy writing is a refreshing change to Railgun's slice of life and even though Touma is awesome I find the characters less interesting and less unique. Terribly uneven as a season and I managed to push through it thanks to The Sisters Arc before the midpoint of the season.

For a while I had been thinking about watching all noitaminA shows and that's what I started to do a few weeks ago. I intend to finish all of them in the chronological order so I watched the first season of Honey & Clover. What at first seemed like a combination of sloppy comedy and unambitious drama turned out to be a really compelling and thought-provoking exploration of love, work and self-discovery in a contemporary society. The last 3 episodes were certainly God Tier.

I already watched the first 3 episodes of Paradise Kiss which is pretty much the most artfaggy anime I've seen in a while. Constantly baffling and chaotic direction combined with an oddly alienating josei story isn't exactly to my liking, but it's interesting to say the least. The OP and ED are bloody awesome, by the way.

Of this season's shows I'm still watching the same ones. The second season of Index has continued the path of the first season albeit slightly more epic (TORNADO WINGS). Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru (aka dat SHAFT meido show) has been occasionally hilarious but mostly "only" good at best. Relatively interesting characters and glorious Shinbo direction are entertaining enough for me to keep watching the show. Kuragehime would be my favorite show of the season without PSG - it's impeccably directed and wonderfully written which has already packed quite a punch in just 7 episodes. Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt is the show of the season, but I'm not sure if it's able to replace Tatami Galaxy as the show of the year yet (yes, I liked Tatami THAT MUCH).

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:50 pm

Umm guys, can someone tell me why Bakemonogatari is PRETENTIOUS of all things?

View Original PostOz wrote:Since I haven't written anything about the first season of Toaru Majutsu no Index I feel obliged to say something about it first. Its plot-heavy writing is a refreshing change to Railgun's slice of life and even though Touma is awesome I find the characters less interesting and less unique.

Railgun characters? Unique? Wait what :lol:

I'd also like to point out that apart from Saten, Megamilk and Kiyama the two shows share the cast - and only Saten from the three is main character.

Misaka and Kuroko also happen to be Index characters first and foremost with Misaka being one of the four main characters in Index too

(the four would be: Index, Touma, Misaka, Accelerator...though Accelerator is just emerging in the anime version as of now)

View Original PostOz wrote:Kuragehime

FUJOSHI SHIT PIG DISGUSTING

This week's Soremachi was very good but this is still the best Soremachi scene :toothy:

"this song's too hipster for me" :E

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

Postby Clover » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:08 pm

Just finished watching the original Fullmetal Alchemist. Haters gonna hate, it's better than Brotherhood. Took me 5 years to finish this because I couldn't get my hands on the whole thing. Going to watch Shamballa pretty soon.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:53 am

@Xard: Naturally I was talking about the main characters - that's where they share only one character. I find the characters from the churches and magic societies rather bland in comparison to the awesome esper characters. Also, I hope there's more of Kon's awesome music on the soundtrack.

Return to “Old Stickies”