Best order in which to watch Haruhi Suzumiya?

Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:50 am

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:Broadcast order, first
Chronological order, second

I hated the chronological order.
Broadcast order was the best and it was intended to be seen that way anyway.

Director's cut episodes 21'-24', third
End of Haruhi Suzumiya, fourth

Director´s Cut?
EOHS?

BLASPHEMY

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:14 pm

Broadcast order was a one time gimmick. Ignore it.
Anything after Haruhi-Chan was shit. Ignore it.

Watch first season in chronological order, watch Haruhi-Chan, read the novels. Then, join me in promoting the awesomness of Tsuruya, denouncing the utter soulrape that is Nyoro~n Churuya-San, and educating people about the difference between Nyoro~ and Nyoro~n.

Also, sorry about my prior behaviour, 'twas a bad week.
And ZapX is forbidden from ever changing his avatar ever again.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:32 pm

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:Broadcast order was a one time gimmick. Ignore it.

No, putting the video version into chronological order was the gimmick. It bombed.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:40 pm

View Original Postshinji_ryoji_89 wrote:I think I will end up watching Season 2 afterall and probably even take in the whole Endless Eight thing until I'm sick of it haha.

Seriously, don't.

I gave the first season 10/10, and even I wanted to murder someone a few episodes into Endless Eight. It's just not worth it. Zap is right in his recommendation. When it comes to Endless Eight, watch episodes 1, 2, and 8. Or 1, 7, and 8. Or 1, take your pick, and 8. Or better yet, skip it altogether.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby oOoOoOo » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:06 pm

Even high as a kite with a pillow between my legs didn't make "Endless Eight" any easier to sit through. To be honest, I don't really remember what happened. I'll go ahead and second the House of Bricks viewing scheme.

Also, after season two finished I watched everything in chronological order and found it quite enjoyable. But then, I am a big fan of chronological order. Actually, I kind of just like spelling it. Chronolologological~

Also, it is one of my dreams to wake up one day as Haruhi. Then I would make everyone drink my precious toilet honey. ^_^
~ O-chan is soooo 2D right now.

Great Genius Shinji-Sama
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Great Genius Shinji-Sama » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:08 pm

No thanks O-kun, I'm not into golden showers IRL. :vomit:

But I concur, who wouldn't want to be GOD. :lol:
Avatar: Utena and Anthy hawtness <3
-----------------------------------------------------------
XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG: ShinjiSama01
http://shinjisama.wordpress.com/ - Blog
http://otakuno1.deviantart.com/ - Deviant account

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:13 pm

But the only evidence for the God theory is an offhanded comment by the least reliable character in the series....
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

scarmullet
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby scarmullet » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:32 pm

Broadcast order, if you watch it in Chronological order (ie: the episodes titled "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 1-6) then you will just be getting through the good stuff, and you will just be watching filler for the rest of the season.
Me and my Droogs.
http://www.youtube.com/user/scarmulletpart2
Serindip LLC are Nazis!!!!

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:41 pm

Filler with Tsuruya.
/hj

COACH
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby COACH » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:24 pm

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:I hated the chronological order.
Broadcast order was the best and it was intended to be seen that way anyway.

I guess you must not like the novels, then, with their blasted chronological order...
「世界の中心でアイを叫んだけもの」
THE BEAST
ABSOLUTE TERROR FIELD

EvaCub
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby EvaCub » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:41 am

which broadcast order? isnt there two? can some one give me the ep numbers for broadcast order?

also, watching Endless Eight, It's not annoying me and I'm enjoying it
My Anime List
Apjak:"Basically, to make an A.T. field gun, you'd have to make a gun that fires Evangelions. Not a very efficient use.
SailorStarDust:"No, everything has SOME meaning to it in Eva!"
Reichu on Sequel Theory:lights bandwagon on fire again:

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:13 am

View Original PostEvaCub wrote:can some one give me the ep numbers for broadcast order?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Melancholy_of_Haruhi_Suzumiya_episodes
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

shinji_ryoji_89
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby shinji_ryoji_89 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:43 pm

So, after finishing the second season, I cannot declare it as bad but definitely a disappointment compared to the first season. It suffers from the same problem as another Kyoto show, K-On, where the second season just pretty much delves into casual nonsense and ignores any real possible character or story arc in favor of just portraying the characters having fun, athough the last few seasons portraying the making of the movie were interesting, but they really hardly were because a lot of the more interesting information about the characters had already been given out during the first season. Still, I love the show for its first season and now I intend to read the books and also watch "The Disappearance"!

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:45 pm

What the hell? K-ON!! has more character development and narrative than K-ON! by far

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:30 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:What the hell? K-ON!! has more character development and narrative than K-ON! by far

I agree with Xard. I would add that K-On! itself is good enough as far as a tight circle of high-school girls having fun and sometimes facing challenges is concerned. We see more characters interacting in K-On!! because there is no need to introduce the characters, and there is also an underlying sense of their approaching graduation -- the last 6 episodes or so have a brooding sense of departure and loss. And I am not even talking about the last episode, which got Japan into a kind of fever (because the last volume of manga is also out on the same day of its broadcast -- most clever marketing ploy -- though I fell for that too).

How come we are talking K-On in a Haruhi thread. OK, some Haruhi bits then: I heard many people talk about Endless Eight. I don't know others but I actually pulled myself through seeing the eight episodes IN A ROW. One thing that helped me through is that I started to realize they really meant to have 8 episodes for it after 2 episodes, so adjusting my expectation I started to look for how one episode is different from the others. This helped quite a lot. And the animation quality is just as good as always. But still I have to say from a anime series point of view, it should not have been more than 3 episodes for that, and if they wanted to stress HOW LONG AND REPETITIVE it was to everyone, perhaps 4 episodes, or even 5, but not 8. I wonder why the number 8 was picked -- was it in the light novel? Or simply because 8 is the symbol of infinity rotated 90 degrees? I think it hurt the reputation of KyoAni quite a bit. Disappearance might help restore fans' faith, but lingering doubt will remain...
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:04 am

^It's only one chapter in the novel, which translates roughly to the last episode of Endless Eight in the series. "We did this, we did that, we did this, oh right and then homework."

I liked Endless Eight. I liked it when I first watched it and I've enjoyed it on rewatchings since then. But then I dig lolAnno formalism and beautiful KyoAni animation quality, too.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:04 pm

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:When it comes to Endless Eight, watch episodes 1, 2, and 8. Or 1, 7, and 8. Or 1, take your pick, and 8. Or better yet, skip it altogether.

Yeah, I'm quoting myself, deal with it.

So for some reason (perhaps a desire to hurt myself), I powered through all eight episodes of Endless Eight in two days. The first time through I was watching it for the story. I suspect everyone was doing this, which is why it was so hated. This time (my second pass) through, I watched it for the differences. I wanted to see if there was anything salvageable in this big octahedron mess. Here's what I learned.

The animation really is unique in every episode. The line delivery really is unique in every episode. Some scenes in each episode are longer/shorter, depending on what the director wanted to emphasize or convey. If you go in trying to see what the differences are between each episode, it was much more tolerable.

Episode 1 - pointless, skip it, you'll see all their daily activities in the later episodes.
Episode 2 - I would start with this one. Kyon has some mild deja vu, but nothing too crazy.
Episode 3 - skip it, very similar to episode 2.
Episode 4 - the best of all the episodes. Watch it. It has a unique artistic direction, and you can see the characters become exasperated and frustrated (just like you, the viewer) with their situation.
Episode 5 - skip it.
Episode 6 - skip it.
Episode 7 - has an interesting intro scene, sunset scene, and cool 3D Haruhi scene at the end. Other than those short parts, the rest of the episode is skippable.
Episode 8 - watch it because this is where the time loop ends, and we all get to move on with our lives.

So, if you wanted to get the Endless Eight experience, I would recommend watching episodes 2, 4, and 8. That should be enough. Having re-experienced this nightmare (something I thought I would never do), I have to change my earlier opinion.

I would not recommend skipping Endless Eight altogether. I would watch the aforementioned episodes and then continue on with the rest of season two. I think those three episodes are different enough that watching them wouldn't make you want to blow your brains out. I hope.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

The Bastard King
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby The Bastard King » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:36 am

I've said it before, but watching Kyon go absolutely apeshit at the end of episode 8 blew away all remorse for watching them all. It's like he was venting the frustration of the viewer, and personally pulling you out of this hell. Also, it did a brilliant job setting up Yuki's mindset for the movie.
16:26 <BastardKing> KICK REASON TO THE CURB
16:26 <Fuyutsuki> BastardKing fires the kick cannon and it EXPLODES IN HIS FACE

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:01 pm

I watched it in the 2009 aired order. I thought it was an excellent way to watch them. Awesome series.
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

Doonge
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Doonge » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:49 pm

Hello and sorry for necroing the thread (I'm a new member, I'm not english).

As I'm pondering how to rewatch the whole serie myself, because I never watched the Disappearance and plan to do it soon, I've stumbled here (and http://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/ ... _suzumiya/ ).
I learned that many different orders are possible, and that the "Melancholy" arc is considered the best one (some people advice watching only that one).

Personally, I watched the serie in the 2006 airing order, then the season 2 episodes (chronological order) years after. I recall I nearly dropped the serie right at episode 1 ("Episode 00"), the next two following episodes made me think it was just a boring school life anime, and it's only at Melancholy III (where we learn the the SOS brigade members claim to be the very alien, AI and "esper" people that Haruhi is desesperate to connect with) that I got really hooked. I quite disliked most of the fillers of season 1, excepted "Boredom" and maybe "Live Alive" that I linked to the episode 00 (and I rewatched it with pleasure then). From season 2, Endless Eight was annoying, the Sigh was interesting, and the "Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody" was a very nice tie in.

Overall, the episodes I find weak are the "Remote Island Syndrome" couple episode (could someone tell me what is specificly interesting in that arc? The only thing I remember is when the Esper guy is talking and looking at Kyon's hairy mole), the "Mysterique sign", the "Day of the Saggitarius", and a selection of Endless Eight (people overall tend to consider 1 2 4 and 8 are the best out of the 8).

So, I've thought about making a custom order where Endless Eight and the Sigh arcs would replace those as "filler". Additionally, I would make sure there is no particular "spoiler" before the proper "Melancholy" episodes. In the Melancholy arc, the SOS brigade members reveal who they "are" only at episode 3, but we have a confirmation of the truth of their claim only at episode 4 (the AI and time traveller girl, not yet the Esper dude).

25 The Adventures of Asahina Mikuru Episode 00 (wtf episode)
1+2 The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi I & II
20 The Sigh of Suzumiya Haruhi I (filler without spoiler, linked to Episode 00)
3 The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi III (members claim their non-human status)
21 The Sigh of Suzumiya Haruhi II (members are "randomly" cast as what they claim to be, strange).
4 The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi IV (we learn the AI and the Time traveller girls do have powers)
8 Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody (more AI and time traveller power, filler linked to Melancholy 2-3 storyline)
22 The Sigh of Suzumiya Haruhi III (same, some powers are unleashed here)
5 The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi V (Esper dude proof, Haruhi is to be distracted)
12 Endless Eight I (can be put anywhere between Melancholy II and Endless Eight II)
7 The Boredom of Suzumiya Haruhi (funny filler, with foreshadowing for Melancholy VI, obviously because technically it's right after)
13 Endless Eight II ("time" power of Haruhi, proof that she is to be pleased, can be put after Melancholy III, IV or V)
15 Endless Eight IV
19 Endless Eight VIII
23 The Sigh of Suzumiya Haruhi IV
24 The Sigh of Suzumiya Haruhi V (can replace "Live Alive" as ending)
6 The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi Part 6 (apocalypse)
26 Live Alive
--------------------------------
28 Someday in the Rain
Movie (I haven't seen it yet)

I'm not really sure about the Endless Eight episodes positions though, but I must say Endless Eight (2) fits nicely right after Melancholy (3) (4) or especially (5), since it's the proof Haruhi has her own powers. I'm not particulary sure splitting them is that nice of an idea.
And if "Remote Island Syndrome", the Mysterique sign" and the "Day of the Saggitarius" were to be added, where would they fit without spoiling the "Melancholy" arc revelations order?

Return to “Anime and Manga”