Evangelion 2.0 Complete Records Collection

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:11 pm

View Original PostLonecow12 wrote:...maybe Mari can lick her wounds in Q.

A cat is fine, too :3
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:19 pm

If you ever watch the "Behind The Scenes"-type special features on Pixar DVD/BDs, you'd see how many ideas are generated, toyed with, and then discarded in the months/years that one of their movies is being worked on. Can't be much different at Khara, really.

Synapsid
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Synapsid » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:20 pm

View Original PostIrkenEvangelion wrote:A cat is fine, too :3
Would Asuka be BloodhoundMari's cat then? I wonder If Bardiel would have any efects on sexuality...
It's a trap!|Saigo no shisha seitenkan
Genderbending is an important part of any fandom and must be taken very seriously. ZapalacX
If you ever say that name again, I will hunt you down and neuter you with a spork. Sailor Star Dust *cue Shinji's bloodcurling girly scream* LiLi
leave my innocent Shinjiko thread alone! Reichu Asuka would be the one going "SURPRISE BUTTSEKS, BAKA!!!!" while of course in appropriate dress and, *cough, gulp, snort*, with a certain strapped on accessory THE Hal E. Burton 9000

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:27 pm

Asuka has an assertive nature, but when someone (Mari) wouldn't take that and be twice as assertive she'd cower down.
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

berto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby berto » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:52 am

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:Well, Asuka IS Shinji female version (or maybe it's the contrary but it doesn't really count in this matter) but we can't really say about the reasons that convince her that she can't be "happy", even the scene of Kyoko's death is absent so far (even though I doubt that they'll decide to change that but I could be wrong), we don't really have clues about it except that she decided to live by herself and to confide on her strength alone (she's really pissed out when she didn't manage to defeat Sahaquiel by herself), some kind of strong trauma must have forced to live like this and she could be either scared of having to experience again the same trauma (for example the more "banal" is the loss of a loved one) or she could be convinced that she's not worth of happiness.

Yeah, sorry, I don't buy it. It's like saying 'My favorite ice creame scares me.' It's just too noncensical to me.
Not who you think I am.

Riotgear
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Riotgear » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:47 am

So what filmstrips did we all get? Mine is Asuka standing at the kitchen in her apron (when Misato comes home ahead of schedule), which is way better than the crappy stars I got on my 1.0 filmstrip. The bonus shopping bag was a nice addition, didn't know whether I'd be getting that buying through AmiAmi or not.

I think my favorite section in the book(s) is the Angel designs stuff, which understandably has a wealth more content to it than that of the 1.0 book. I'm saddened that it looks that we'll never get proper names for the new Angels, though.

gwern
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby gwern » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:02 am

View Original PostSynapsid wrote:Why would they? It’s pretty common for points that will be important later on to be rather subtle and kept as context in the background rather than be handled explicitly(for instance nobody in the original EVA commented on how very similar Rei and Shinji look, even though there were overlapping shots that intentionally showed their similarities).

Yes, but does *every* little point that us diehard fans can identify wind up having a plot payoff like that?

I don't think they do, although I couldn't say whether a majority of them don't or just a substantial minority.

View Original PostSynapsid wrote:(also the two pilots in an EVA kind of sounds like Gunbuster)[/size].They've already done that, just in a slightly different way: Rei and Shinji are in Yui as of now, although that might be more accurately described as two pilots in one womb(which sharing any EVA would be, but it's more relevant here). Incidentally that scene does seem to parallel Bardiel/Asuka not just in the skin aspect, but also in the dualism/mirror theme(Yui even has twin cores now).

I would have pointed to "Asuka Strikes!" Which come to think of it, might primarily have been a Gunbuster parody - Noriko is the opposite of Shinji, who wouldn't know hard work & guts if a bucket were sloshed in his face. (Asuka is rather like Amano & Jung Freud.)

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:00 am

I'm kinda late but could anyone suggest me a site to purchase this book now? I didn't have enough money in the last months to purchase it... HLJ doesn't have it any more and I don't understand if the sellers listed in amazon.co.jp accept international shipping.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:19 am

Considering the prices those amazon sellers are charging you shouldn't even bother finding out whether they ship internationally or not.

Honestly not sure where you can get it now. Try googling around the jap title?
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Electric Sachiel » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:18 am

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:I'm kinda late but could anyone suggest me a site to purchase this book now? I didn't have enough money in the last months to purchase it... HLJ doesn't have it any more and I don't understand if the sellers listed in amazon.co.jp accept international shipping.

My advice to you is to check Ebay or wait for Hobby Link Japan to restock. I was lucky enough to get my 1.0 Complete Collection book from Ebay for a cool 100 with 50 bucks shipping. As for Hobby Link Japan, it is very likely they may be able to re-stock the 2.0 complete collection book set. They sold out of the 1.0 version many times and took them about 2-4 months to re-stock.

Check the website regularly to see if the same happens to 2.0. Chances are it will. Just be patient.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:51 am

@TMBounty_Hunter: yeah, I didn't notice it before posting, they're charging it for almost the double of the price...
I didn't expect that it could run out in less than one month, I never purchased similar items before but this was quite amazing (I really don't like this "niche"-way to treat this merchandising, few prints for an high price); I'll try to follow Electric Sachiel's advice and check HLJ and ebay in the future.
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

Soth
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Soth » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:08 am

I did a short review at my blog. Unlike the previous one, this is a must have despite the excessive price and the killer shipping costs.

As a preview, here is the Asuka & Mari piloting together scene:

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:22 am

The Asuka/Mari scene looks interesting, I wonder what the battle circumstances were.

There are some mistakes in the review: the Rei/Ritsuko unused scene is Ritsuko suggesting Rei ask Gendo to buy Rei underwear, the unused scene of Asuka is in Eva-03 and the Angel is speaking as Kaworu, etc.

Other than that, good job.

Mari's first appearance bandaged like Rei. In other one (non pictured), she takes the personality of Asuka, Anta baka? included.

Whoa. Interesting...

And damnit, they should have gone with angry Rei. Oh well.

Congrats on getting a Rei-Asuka filmstrip. It looks cute.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:51 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:And damnit, they should have gone with angry Rei. Oh well.

No, no. This time we will have only happy Rei; while Kaworu will try to make Shinji happy, Shinji will make Rei happy (and now this is going to become my new sexual fantasy...).
@Soth: thank you very much for the review and the pics.
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

vito
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby vito » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:07 am

Woah, I really hope they restock these books on amazon. :(

gwern
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby gwern » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:14 am

The dual-piloting is interesting. Wonder how that scenario went?

It's hard to fit it into the existing 3.0 plot, or even a modified one. From the postures, it seems pretty clear that Asuka is the main pilot and Mari secondary, so I place them inside Eva-02. Mari could have injured herself inside Eva 5 at the beginning, but then what is she helping out Asuka for and why hasn't she healed by then? (Rei seems to heal pretty quick.) No opportunity with Clockiel, obviously, and it wouldn't make sense for both of them to be in the Eva-03 test; they could team up to deal with suicide-bomberiel, but that doesn't make too much sense. (Asuka would never accept premeditated aid like that; before that Angel, she is totally confident in her abilities. In NGE TV, the dual-piloting only happened by accident under great duress in 'Asuka Strikes!'.)

Perhaps this scenario went that Touji was the Eva-03 test pilot again, Mari was sent out, got the crap kicked out of her, and then hopped in Eva-02 with Asuka.

Why would Asuka let her in? Perhaps because Mari was in the way a la Touji & Kensuke in NGE TV; perhaps Mari promised Asuka info on Beast Mode; perhaps the Vatican Treaty comes into play along the lines of 'if you let me in, I will officially be piloting it and so it would be permitted under the # of active Evas allotted NERV Japan & NERV Europe'.

Just speculating here. BLUE WIZARD NEEDS TRANSLATIONS BADLY!

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:19 am

The comments underneath the storyboard say they're both within Eva-02, just fyi.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:22 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:The comments underneath the storyboard say they're both within Eva-02, just fyi.

wonder if that could have meant they originally intended Asuka and Mari would team up in Unit 02 for the battle against Zeruel?
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:42 am

People aren't remarking on the other Mari thing as much as I would expect. First she mysteriously appears to Shinji, a la Rei, and then she was apparently supposed to give him an "anta baka?" during their first meeting? And wearing the eye and arm bandages, no less?

Anno, what the fuck are you doing
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

JoeD80
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby JoeD80 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:44 am

It says Angel #8 battle scene below the storyboard as well. So that would be Sahaquiel (if the current numbering was the same when this storyboard was drawn anyway).

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”