What anime are you watching right now? Feb-Dec 2010

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:54 pm

Well, you would have no need for them so there's no reason to feel like idiot :lol:

It's a fansub group

Speaking of subs, I watched Working!! eps 7-8 with some of the most retarded fansubs (by "Himatsubushi") I've ever seen. The level of retard was on "KEITA SURE IS MAGNIFICENT" level aka what the fuck am I reading you dumbfuck weeaboos.

And in ep 9 other smartass group translated bizarre story about "wolves" going to eat poor Inami into wolves about to rape poor Inami.

WTF kind of retarded monkeys run some of these sub groups? :rolleyes:

That said, Working!! has been great fun lately. It even had some glorious crossdressing as of late, yay :lol:

and Yamada is all kinds of awesome.

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:38 pm

Woah, gimme a link to those subs, because Working!! was mediocre as hell with the ones I watched!

.....Also I watched first 5 episodes of Monster. So far so good, but I'd rather not marathon it so will take a while to finish.

NatTheWriter
Lilith

Postby NatTheWriter » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:56 am

Moar episodes of Kanon. Now watching episode 7.

I guess it's growing on me. ._.' It's better than Air, at least.

The fact that almost every female in the series acts about half her age continues to be grating as hell. Darned moe shows and their tendencies towards creepy levels of moe.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:50 am

View Original PostNatTheWriter wrote:almost every female in the series acts about half her age
The received wisdom is that all the Key VNs on which these series (Air, Kanon, Clannad) are based are characterised by retard-moe, magical AIDS and syrupy sentimentalism; and either you like that sort of thing or you don't.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:26 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:and either you like that sort of thing or you don't.

Girls running against things and saying uguu~ is my fetish.

Does that make me gay?

OT:

Watched Bakuman 3.
Dropped.
Now reading the manga instead.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:50 am

View Original PostXard wrote: Feel free to ask me :D
I might have to do that :lol:
View Original PostDr. Nick wrote:You can enjoy these appetizers while waiting.
:w00t: thanks man!
View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Despite being on the surface the sort of thing I wouldn't touch with a bargepole if it were a English language live action series, I found it quite delightful.
:lol: I know the feeling. I read your write-ups and they make me look forward to the rest of this series. I'm already nine eps into the first season (I sped through eight of those episodes last night), and man this is great; for the first few episodes I kept expecting crazy psychotic bitches and backstabbing--probably because the setting sorta reminded me of Oniisama E--but so far it's been pretty relaxing and feel-good type of stuff. I mean, there's been conflict and tension, but so far nothing like I'd expected. I'd forgotten how much my inner little girl was thirsting for shoujo... where the hell is LiLi? ;__;

I think my favorite characters are the self-sufficient and hilarious Sei, that photographer girl who doesn't get enough screentime, and of course Yumi if only for her reactions and facial expressions. This show was animated pretty well at conveying that sort of thing. Plus you can't have shoujo without lots of hair blowing dramatically in the wind, either.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby drinian » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:55 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:retard-moe

One of the great KyoAni accomplishments is keeping the Key designs recognizable while curing all of the characters' Downs Syndrome.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:20 pm

View Original PostMerridian wrote:for the first few episodes I kept expecting crazy psychotic bitches and backstabbing
Guess I should have also linked the classic Badass Manly review of the series.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:54 pm

Shoujo is the best anime "genre". Even Star Driver is best mecha show in ages exactly because it's directed by legendary shoujo director and written like Utena.

Speaking of shoujo, Kimi ni Todoke S2 is finally coming out next winter! This is the greatest proof for God's existence ever mustered! :jiggy:

View Original PostMerridian wrote:I might have to do that :lol:

Well, ask whatever you want in next pm...

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:
Watched Bakuman 3.
Dropped.
Now reading the manga instead.

Has the manga ended or is it ending soon?

Working!!

Fun, nice little comedy series, wouldn't mind having a second season. Second half vastly better than first half. Crossdressing is awesome, MC's sisters are awesome and Yamada is hands down best character in the whole series. The fact Alicia's (green haired girl from Aria) seyuu voiced her certainly helped too, freakin' adorable. And hilarious.

That girl should've been the MC, damn.

7/10

Bakuman ep 3: Continues nicely. Still feels like a bit lazy adaptati-OH WOW MILF OF THE YEAR

SRW OG The Inspector ep 3: ZzZZZZZzzzzzzzzZzzzzz.... Why am I watching this again, guhh...if it wasn't for the fact I absolutely suck at dropping shows... sigh. Well, I'll watch ep 4, at least...

Star Driver ep 3: Man, why is this show so great? Can't wait for next week... :(

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:29 pm

Shoujo is the best anime "genre".

Ha ha no.
ZzZZZZZzzzzzzzzZzzzzz....

Please explain how.

Anyway, started watching Combat Mecha Xabungle and at ep 4. It's basically like an older version of Gundam X with a bit of Ideon set in the wild west. Nice and actiony with lots of fighting with a good story to boot, what more could you want? :bigguns: The opening theme is good, but I can't say the same for the ending theme.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:00 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Shoujo is the best anime "genre".

Shoujo anime is a myth.

Has the manga ended or is it ending soon?

It´s still running, I don´t like the pace of the anime.
It´s killing me.

NatTheWriter
Lilith

Postby NatTheWriter » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:22 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:The received wisdom is that all the Key VNs on which these series (Air, Kanon, Clannad) are based are characterised by retard-moe, magical AIDS and syrupy sentimentalism; and either you like that sort of thing or you don't.

Good point. ^^;

I probably shouldn't be complaining so much, seeing as I'm not part of the demographic--I guess this is one of the cases where "Don't Like; Don't Watch" really does apply? >_> I'm not sure.

It's definitely better than AIR which is generally agreed to be the weakest of the adaptations anyway and the humor is sorta charming, and yet...euh. When I watch it, I can enjoy it, but as soon as I step back from it, the endearing qualities start to wear off.

...What are magical AIDS?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:39 pm

View Original PostNatTheWriter wrote:...What are magical AIDS?
The mysterious illnesses that lead to girls having "weak bodies" resulting long-term hospitalization, or sudden tragic death, depending which can be milked for greater melodramatic value.

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:06 pm

Bakuman 3: I'm enjoying it so far, it looks like it will get interesting soon when the main story will kick into gear.

MM! 3: Show still keeps surprising me by not buckling under the massive amount of cliches present and keeping it interesting.
I hope it will stay fresh even though the biggest conflict (yet) has been resolved.

Star Driver 3: Uhhh... Not really impressed by this episode either. Something about this series just screams "corny" and "lame" to me. I hope they will break out of this recurring template of how they have some ok'ish fight at the end where Takuto wipes the floor with the opponent and all is fine and dandy.
Also so amusing how the bad guys can kidnap Wako whenever they want. How convenient that must be.

Meh. I'll still watch it hoping the so-called amazing staff will prove their worth. It's just that for some reason I was expecting this show to really make me wow from the get-go, and it's not bad or anything but I'm a bit disappointed nonetheless.

But I still can't get over the fact that the god damn robot is wearing high heels. Fuck.

By the way, TDSA, are you watching Star Driver at all? I'd love to see how the manly mecha but fabulous design confuse you to no end. :lol:

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:25 pm

By the way, TDSA, are you watching Star Driver at all? I'd love to see how the manly mecha but fabulous design confuse you to no end.

I watched the trailer and cringed.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Natsuka_Chie
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Natsuka_Chie » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:40 pm

Started Kuragehime. Hell yeah.
Comedy, jellyfishes and
SPOILER: Show
the travestite

It was interesting to watch, specially because I'm learning about jellyfishes on my college course. Also, the opening and the anime itself is full of movie/anime references. I caught James Bond, Star Wars, Singin' in the Rain, Mary Poppins and Heidi.
Asuka's not a bitch, she just denies her innocence in a bitchy way.
Sites I'm in: Deviantart|XFire
Quotes:
"Yesterday, I had the most TERRIFYIN' experience! ...Last night, I was all alone in my room... when outta nowhere... CAME THE SMELL OF A FART THAT WASN'T MINE!"
"The things I possess are my life and soul. I'm a vessel for my heart"
"God isn't home. He's on vacation at Vegas."

"Don't forget. Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you. As long as you remember them, you're not alone."

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:45 pm

Finished watching Toaru Kagaku no Railgun: in overall it's a very good show even though the final episode was terrible executed (awesome until the midpoint, after that FAIL).

I'm watching multiple shows at the moment:
- Beginning the first season of Toaru Majutsu no Index so that I can begin watching the currently airing second season as soon as possible
- Tamayura: has probably the most HNNNGGGG-inducing cast ever (excluding K-ON)
- Soredemo Machi wa Mawaitteru: Fuck yeah, Shinbo has recovered from his Arakawa illness with a fairly badass meido show.
- Kuragehime: The first ep was hilarious and it's a NoitaminA show so I'll finish it no matter what happens.
- And of course Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:35 am

Xard wrote:Josei is the best anime "genre".
fixed. :lol:

though shoujo is very close. Probably ties, actually. I haven't spotted any animated josei works like Utena, for instance :lol:

View Original Posttoe mash wrote:Meh. I'll still watch it hoping the so-called amazing staff will prove their worth. It's just that for some reason I was expecting this show to really make me wow from the get-go, and it's not bad or anything but I'm a bit disappointed nonetheless.
The setting, crazy lolscience, mask & leather Eyes Wide Shut cult, and general ambiguity the plot relishes in aren't enough? So far this is turning out to be the only Bones mecha show I've seen that might actually deliver, though it does hinge on whether you dig that Utena-esque writing method in terms of how episodes are structured and how comic relief is executed. Not to mention all the general wtf-isms everywhere.

I still want to look into MM, too...

Oz wrote:- Beginning the first season of Toaru Majutsu no Index so that I can begin watching the currently airing second season as soon as possible
hell yeah about time. Be prepared for crazy pacing, but also the motherfucking Sisters arc and crazy character switcharoos beach extravaganza. Those two arcs are easily the high points of that season.

as for the rest, all I can say is you're missing out on fabulous DEEP robot action with Star Driver, plus what is turning out to be IMO the biggest surprise of this season, My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute. Started watching for the wincest, but kept watching for the solid characterization and likeable protagonist. In fact I look forward to new episodes of this shit about as much as I do for P&S, Star Driver, and Index.

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:32 am

View Original PostMerridian wrote:The setting, crazy lolscience, mask & leather Eyes Wide Shut cult, and general ambiguity the plot relishes in aren't enough?

umm, nope! I was hoping it wouldn't be this silly. Something about everything do feels redundant, I guess. How come they couldn't just kill Takuto in school or whatever if it's obvious he has the power to foil their plans? I hope we get a reason besides "but he has to be alive to he can pilot Tauburn and so we can decide who's the leader!!!!!!".

Also it was quite a "lolwut" moment in ep 3 when Takuto and the other guy had a little fight with the brooms, and somehow even though the other guy is using both hands and brings them down full force Takuto stops him with 1 hand and even behind him like it was nothing. Yeah yeah anime physics, but that felt a little ridiculous.

And you should start watching MM! Now. Do it.

So I watched episode 3 of Ore no Imouto bla bla bla. First half of episode was alright, but then the drama in 2nd half really delivered and was fantastic. Another great episode.

But I can't believe he dared to threaten to beat the crap out of Gendo, damn. Gendo is so badass.
Of course later on he Gendowned him, though. Somehow I feel like Gendo punching Okazaki makes me feel a little less hatred towards Clannad.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:15 am

I just watched Ore no Imouto 3.

Pretty cool.

BTW:

Same VA.
(Sauce=Mazui fansubs)

Doesn´t Dominic from Eureka Seven remind you of someone?

Return to “Old Stickies”