What anime are you watching right now? Feb-Dec 2010

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:29 pm

After putting it away for months I finally watched the original (1995) Ghost in the Shell

The visuals are, as expected by a strong budget Production I.G movie, amazing. The detail in some scenes is mind boggling and makes it embarrassing to watch a low budget modern TV anime in comparison now, it's just so sad.

There was a particular scene where we see from the Motoko's point of view from under a bridge and the rest of the scenery of the city, and damn, if that image was cropped a bit I could be fooled into believing that that's a real picture.

I see why it has the reputation of being so intelligent and clever, but even though I am not a heavy sci fi reader or into philosophical ramblings that much, the questions posed in the movie are really really unoriginal, although it's nice to see that in an anime and it was handled pretty well I guess. Maybe if I had seen it a couple years ago and I would of been unfamiliar with the "what makes a human an individual" question I would of been more impressed.

But I really liked the scene where
SPOILER: Show
they are about to shoot down the puppet master after he entered section 9, and he says that since he's a living and conscious being according to law they can't kill him, that was pretty clever

Still very entertaining, although my expectations were higher given it's reputation.
Also I'm not really sure what the last scene was trying to say, if anything.

I'll watch the 2nd movie and then move on to the series probably, soon.

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:51 pm

Finished the epic series that is Mazinger Z this morning in all it's actiony and manly glory. You gotta love the classics. :cool:
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:51 pm

toe, how'd you watch it? DVD quality or BD? I actually bought the 2.0 BD at the store a couple months back for 10 dollars. It's gorgeous on BD but I'm not sure if I like the redone scenes using CGI.
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:26 pm

View Original PostIrkenEvangelion wrote:toe, how'd you watch it? DVD quality or BD? I actually bought the 2.0 BD at the store a couple months back for 10 dollars. It's gorgeous on BD but I'm not sure if I like the redone scenes using CGI.

I watched it in HD.
10 dollar sounds like a bargain, I'd definitely buy that also if I had the chance.

Yeah I wasn't sure if to watch the 1995 version or 2.0. But I wanted to watch it with more of the old fashioned hand drawn style rather than full of CG (even if it's done gorgeously) so I went with the 1995 version in the end.

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:28 pm

The Blu-ray's a good buy because it comes with both versions of the film which is always nice.
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:42 pm

Finished Canaan. It was good. Great action, good animation, lolTypeMoon plot dynamics and the pacing of a speeding freight train, but enjoyable given the amount of action they crammed into it. Some of it was ridiculously cliche, and some of the melodrama felt rather unwarrented, though all in all it was a fun ride. 7/10 or something, I guess.

Finished the El Hazard OVA, as well as the sequel 4-ep long sequel/follow up to it. The original was awesome, and contained all the reasons 90s OVAs kick ass (except for bloodspray, there wasn’t much of that). Setting, character designs, and color palate were IMO its strongest features, but the narrative was solid and enjoyable enough to keep these things vibrant over some seven episodes. Animation quality was pretty slick as well. The second OVA was a little lack-luster compared to the first, suffering from a smaller budget (manifested in cheaper animation and more off-modelness that didn’t really affect enjoyment IMO), and its narrative wasn’t as apocalyptic or intense, but the characters remained consistent and it flowed well. All total, first OVA = 8/10, the sequel = 7/10. Highly recommended.

Lastly, Twilight Q

Finally got my filthy digital fingers on this baby. First part was hodge-podged and could have used more time and better writing, but it wasn't bad. Second half lived up to my expectations, though--no, actually, it surpassed them. For those who aren't aware, Twilight Q was initially intended to be a relatively long-running project that would use a series of pseudo-experimental OVAs to spotlight various directors in the anime industry. It didn’t really get off the ground and was cancelled after only two episodes were released.

Well, Mamoru Oshii was the director for the second episode of this project, and it shows. People who dislike his style will no doubt be turned off by this gem, but whatever. The things at which Oshii excels--namely, atmosphere, suggestion, thematic subtlety, and surrealism--he delivers in spades with this segment. It belongs solidly within the category of "old Oshii", the period roughly spanning from Beautiful Dreamer (1984) up through the early 90s (Gosenzosama Banbanzai was really the last work of his that resembled these things). I don’t want to spoil anything by summarizing the story of the ~30min short, but I will say that it is quite the absurdist mystery tale.

It's slow, it's meditative, it's awkwardly edited, rhythmic, moody, circular, and hilarious. Any fans of Oshii in general would probably enjoy this title, but those who dig his early period especially should look into it.

dem sunglasses. dem fish

-------
toe mash wrote: I'll watch the 2nd movie
Innocence is probably Oshii’s second worst work to date. his absolute worst IMO being the somewhat obscure OVA Dallos

Expect shitloads of quote-dropping, disjoint and purposeless atmospheric work in the second half, long tangents, and a plot that might as well have been assembled by a team comprised of stoners and epileptics. Action scenes were great and the first half of the film isn’t so bad from a formalism standpoint, but the rest is surprisingly bad. And it's a shame too, seeing as how the first film was so good.

Kamiyama’s take on the franchise (the SAC series) is great, though.

Have you checked out the Patlabor films? You might dig them if you liked GitS. I personally enjoy Patlabor 2 more than Ghost in the Shell, though you can see how Oshii progressed and played with things in P2 that he would later develop a bit more fully in the GitS.

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:02 am

Yeah, I've heard that Innocence is a total mess and is convoluted as hell.
But I think I'll just let the plot play second fiddle to the animation which looked incredible from the little trailer I watched.

Also got the SAC series waiting to be watched, is the movie of the series any good?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I watched ep 2 of The World God Only Knows, and WOW. This episode was incredible, I haven't seen in a while an anime that managed to hit the mark on almost all of it's jokes like that. Some scenes were hilarious and I wasn't expecting them at all.

Also the nice twist at the end was good cliffhanger, I can't wait to watch ep 3 already.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

Postby Defectron » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:59 am

Well, Mamoru Oshii was the director for the second episode of this project, and it shows. People who dislike his style will no doubt be turned off by this gem, but whatever. The things at which Oshii excels--namely, atmosphere, suggestion, thematic subtlety, and surrealism--he delivers in spades with this segment. It belongs solidly within the category of "old Oshii", the period roughly spanning from Beautiful Dreamer (1984) up through the early 90s (Gosenzosama Banbanzai was really the last work of his that resembled these things). I don’t want to spoil anything by summarizing the story of the ~30min short, but I will say that it is quite the absurdist mystery tale.

It's slow, it's meditative, it's awkwardly edited, rhythmic, moody, circular, and hilarious. Any fans of Oshii in general would probably enjoy this title, but those who dig his early period especially should look into it.

Yeah twilight Q is one of my favorite things oshii directed. I also saw Gosenzo sama recently.

Gosenzo sama was pretty interesting,in a lot of ways. I kinda have a feeling oshii was poking fun at Urusei yatsura with that series, even using a lot of the same voice actors. I think this is probably the only other series with Atarus voice actor I've seen. Anyway my impression is that the world of gosenzo sama is like what Urusei yatsura would be like if there were consequences for peoples actions (also a lot more surreal). The Ataru character Inumaru ends up in quite a mess by the end of the show.

One thing that was interesting is that the way the characters were designed in gosenzo sama, they looked a bit like marionettes. Any idea why he may have done it like that?

In the past I've heard the directing style in this compared to beautiful dreamer, but I think it was much more similar to the style oshii used in his live action films, especially talking head. I really like when Oshii has the characters against the black background monologing (in talking head this turned out to actually be in front of a urinal) I'm going to do a homage to that in chapter 3 of tales 1.

Innocence is probably Oshii’s second worst work to date. his absolute worst IMO being the somewhat obscure OVA Dallos

I liked Innocence, never saw Dallos though, what was that about?
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby TriLink » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:47 pm

Finished 'RIN - Daughters of Mnemosyne' the other day after putting it off for a while. And wow, there's a lot of naked chicks in that show. You'd really think those girls would remember to wear outfits that weren't so easy to rip off after a while.

Think I'll get started on 'Kaze no Stigma' now. Somebody (I think it was Mr. Tines) recommended it a while back, and it was recently added to the Netflix watch instantly list, so it sounds like a winner.
Last edited by TriLink on Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

Animejunkie
Lilith

Postby Animejunkie » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:01 pm

Personally just finished two last night... not really my type normally but they werent bad just not to my liking

Ichiban Ushiro No Daimao and Angel Beats... not bad stories but they are mainly a Harem type anime and im not too much into dems but if its ur type check em out.
IS AMAZING.... Better than cotton candy... NO WAY JOSE

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:14 pm

toe mash wrote: Also got the SAC series waiting to be watched, is the movie of the series any good?
yeah it’s great. Typical of Kamiyama, it really doesn’t pace or structure itself like a film, though. So it’s more like four or five episodes linked together. If you dig the series, you’ll dig the Solid State Society. Put it like that.

Defectron wrote: One thing that was interesting is that the way the characters were designed in gosenzo sama, they looked a bit like marionettes. Any idea why he may have done it like that?
:) I figured you'd like that one.

This ties into how the series was directed, too. Remember how the OVA relied HEAVILY on a static camera with very very few cuts? That and the marionette-ish qualities of the characters serve to underline the very ‘stage production theatre’ feel of the OVA; it’s very much an exercise in the theatre of the absurd.
Defectron wrote: I liked Innocence, never saw Dallos though, what was that about?
I liked Innocence too, but compared to the rest of his work, it’s incredibly sloppy. Dallos on the other hand is probably the only work of his that I actively dislike.

It’s basically about this alien device thing unearthed on a moon colony in the future, at a time when political unrest is throwing the colony into insurgency and rebellion. What I expected going in was some sort of pseudo-arty, decently animated, well-shot story about… I dunno, lolpolitics and philosophical shit. But what I got instead was an overlong, poorly drawn, boring, convoluted version of Big Wars, except with less action and more cheese. I couldn’t believe they took it seriously. If it wasn’t for the fact that I knew better, I’d easily confuse this title with being among the worst things the OVA boom had to offer—just that this was released before the OVA boom even started :lol:

It’s also rather puzzling when one considers that by 1984—the year Dallos was produced & released—Oshii had already worked on Urusei Yatsura and in particular Beautiful Dreamer, and he was set to start work on the following year’s Angel’s Egg artfilm as well. Both of those works were superbly shot, edited, and written, yet Dallos was like some weird clusterfuck trainwreck in the middle.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:05 am

Ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara ara

Aria is the best thing ever.

After Macross Frontier: Itsuwari no Utahime that is, I've been watching that film and clips from it pretty much non-stop for two days.

I wish all the awesome subbing groups weren't dead (Lunar, Eclipse, Shinsen) or busy with other shit. There's no one subbing this film for chrissakes, despite the fact Macross Frontier was oversubbed and popular as hell. Central Anime is doing subs to the film but they're first going to finish subbing BD releases of series (as if there wasn't already half dozen subs to that) and there's no telling how long that takes... Shit, even Menclave and AnimeONE are gone (and they did subs for the series too)

Oh well, it's not like I NEED subs for this all that much, having seen all the difficult parts translated in bits here and there during last year or so :lol:

Still, current fansub scene fucking sucks with majority of people leeching off Crunchyroll subs which while mostly being good these days means subbers for non-streamed shit are much rarer. Even something as popular as Soremachi only had subs by gg (guhhhh) and pwq (FUCK YEAH) initially - and then pwq's translator got too busy too and now I'm stuck with gg's troll subs.

Fucking sweet.

/sub rant
Last edited by Xard on Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

ran1
Banned

Postby ran1 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:08 am

All this talk of Oshii is making me nauseous. :urk:
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:11 am

View Original Postran1 wrote:All this talk of Oshii is making me nauseous. :urk:

you just wish The Sky Crawlers wasn't the only intelligent film from last 10 years.

Oshii's piece for Twilight Q is pretty damn awesome though, his own La Jetee in terms of style or something. It also is only pre-NGE piece of work that reminds me of EoTV in style.

It's teh awesomez

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:35 am

View Original PostXard wrote:Eclipse

I saw one of their last works before they died, Amagami SS, and they really blew it there. The subs were pretty awful compared to the alternative. Maybe it was time for them to take a break.

View Original PostXard wrote:only had subs by gg (guhhhh)

1. The guy responsible for gg's reputation as troll subs left them ages ago and now operates as Coalguys (although I'm certain you knew this..)

2. Yeah, the same group who provided those adequate subs that you almost certainly used for K-ON (and I'm sure you know this as well)

3. gg are fine. Besides, anime that aren't particularly serious can benefit from "localization" or whatever you wanna call it. Last season HoTD's subs were fine weren't they?

By the way, wasn't one of the staff members of Bones that works on Star Driver even asked in some con what should be the official title name for Takuto and he actually said that the name SHOULD be "Galactic Pretty Boy"?

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:45 am

View Original PostMerridian wrote:Finished Canaan. It was good. Great action, good animation, lolTypeMoon plot dynamics and the pacing of a speeding freight train, but enjoyable given the amount of action they crammed into it. Some of it was ridiculously cliche, and some of the melodrama felt rather unwarrented, though all in all it was a fun ride. 7/10 or something, I guess.

Let me rewrite your review so it is more accurate...

Finished Canaan. It was mediocre. Average action, average animation, lolTypeMoon plot dynamics and the pacing of a crawling snail, but enjoyable considering the general lack of action they put into it. Most of it was ridiculously cliche, the incredibly annoying moe reporter girl made me want to kill myself, and all of the melodrama was unwarranted, though all in all it was a way to waste a few hours. 5/10 or something, I guess.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:01 am

View Original Posttoe mash wrote:I saw one of their last works before they died, Amagami SS, and they really blew it there. The subs were pretty awful compared to the alternative. Maybe it was time for them to take a break.

oh, Eclipse was overtaken by ex-GG people (IIRC, I *think* it was gg people but I'm not entirely sure. In any case 'twas lots of new blood) a while ago before they quit entirely. Eclipse of Amagami SS is not Eclipse that did Index S1, Macross Frontier etc. years ago.

View Original Posttoe mash wrote:1. The guy responsible for gg's reputation as troll subs left them ages ago and now operates as Coalguys (although I'm certain you knew this..)

:hahaha:

Hard to miss if one watched K-ON!! with Trollguys subs like I did. They were pretty good, nonetheless.

View Original Posttoe mash wrote:3. gg are fine. Besides, anime that aren't particularly serious can benefit from "localization" or whatever you wanna call it. Last season HoTD's subs were fine weren't they?

never watched HotD because I'm waiting for BD rips so I don't have to suffer with ANY tv censoring

View Original Posttoe mash wrote:By the way, wasn't one of the staff members of Bones that works on Star Driver even asked in some con what should be the official title name for Takuto and he actually said that the name SHOULD be "Galactic Pretty Boy"?

Of course it must be Galactic Pretty Boy or Galactic Bishounen if we want to be weeaboo! Their subs for Star Driver is great. I know some would (quite rightly) take a issue with their usage of word fabulous but it's a-ok with me and certainly quite fitting. ^_^

However that fucking attentionwhore bitch kudo made what can only be described as troll subs for Soremachi. Hell, apparently they released version 2 couple of days ago for this very reason.... "hurrrhurrrr let's be gay we r so funneh XD"

Also, GG apologetics are lame. They're passable, they work from some series but they're also idiots at least one third of the time. INTENTIONALLY

it's really annoying because if GG would do their "job" properly all the time they'd be one of the very best groups around but no, must have dem in-jokes there.

Albeit the butt.hurt gg causes is most of the time pretty funny to watch :hahaha:

edit: word filters suck. Seriously, wtf EGF?

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:47 am

Well, I suppose I forgot about the Soremachi subs thing as by the time I was about to watch it the v2 patch came out and so I avoided v1 completely :cool:

Also you'd be surprised how with B gata H kei CG got their troll on and it only worked in favor of the series.

...Anyway, I wanted to start watching a (completed) series but not sure what to choose. I think I'll go with Tatami Galaxy after Millennium Actress

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Dr. Nick » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:08 pm

View Original Posttoe mash wrote:Besides, anime that aren't particularly serious can benefit from "localization" or whatever you wanna call it. Last season HoTD's subs were fine weren't they?

Just a side note, but a more correct term here would be "domestication". Saying that some particular subs are "localized" doesn't really say anything, because all translations are necessarily localizations (well, except for those literal translations used in comparative linguistics or other crazy things like that). Besides, in professional contexts localization usually means "software translation", as in "we provide translation and localization services".

When you have a sub with too much Japanese left in, then you have a needlessly "foreignizing" translation. [/aspie robot]

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:18 pm

Minutes ago I finished Heroic Age. How could a series that started out so good fall flat near the end? HOW!? After the invasion of Taros pointless jibber jabbering started to take over with less Nodos fighting (despite being pretty good) and the sudden twist they gave at episode 25 was kind of lame. To finish it off they did one of those episode long prologues, oi. Not all bad though, at least the effects were pretty.

Also watched episode 25 of SD Gundam Brave Battle Warriors. Five words:
SPOILER: Show
They freaking killed Physalis Gundam! No!!!!!!!!

Hopefully Tallgeese will get what's coming to him.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Return to “Old Stickies”