Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water

This is for the non-Eva goings on at Gainax, both old and new.

Moderator: Board Staff

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:02 pm

Island Eps = Eva Rebuild

Well crafted fan fiction by Anno.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:51 pm

View Original Postran1 wrote:Island Eps = Eva Rebuild

Well crafted fan fiction by Anno.
:headscratch: Anno didn't even do the Island eps. I guess you could call it "Nadia fanfiction by Shinji Higuchi"...

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:53 pm

^ Wasn't Anno involved in the scneario planning though? I was under the impression that he was for those eps.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

JTurner
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby JTurner » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:19 pm

View Original Postran1 wrote:^ Wasn't Anno involved in the scneario planning though? I was under the impression that he was for those eps.

AFAIK, he kinda wrote the important plot points that were detailed in episode 31, but I wager that he didn't really have extended temper tantrums, mindnumbingly repetitive dreams, psychadelic mushrooms, King running around on his hind legs, a race between two mecha kings, the whole island with weak gravity thing, native villages with testicled lion statues as gods and super-juice drinks, Snideley Whiplash-like poachers, singing songs, and even Nadia being so ridiculously annoying in mind. All of that strikes me as just excess that the writers just conjured up.

So IOW, I think he probably just intended for Jean, Nadia, Marie, and King to get washed up on the island, become reunited with Grandis and the gang quickly, discover the island's mystery and learn about Nadia's identity and THEN have them go directly to Tartessos. All that in approximately 3 episodes or so (or, as the Nautilus Story edit shows, barely three-quarters of one episode).

I really do think they should have extended the ending story as begun in episode 35 by about three episodes and do away with the haphazardness that is episodes 32-34 if they really wanted to do a 39-episode count.

Heromaster111
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Heromaster111 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:47 am

I wasn't aware that he had anything to do with the island arc I thought he was off writing the finale at that time but who knows and Rebuild is no where near as bad as those eps from Nadia

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:08 am

Can people please stop calling things that are done or re-done by the original creator(s) as "fanfiction"? It makes no damn sense, whether you personally like or hate the work. (And no, I don't just mean Rebuild.)

Hell, if people really wanted to, they could call that digest/edit as "Nadia fanfiction" yet they don't. So, one work/redoing of Anno's is fanfiction but another isn't? Talk about double standards. :shakehead:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

JTurner
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby JTurner » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:31 pm

I've only seen EVA 1.0, but I definitely think the Rebuild is A MILLION miles better than the filler arc, especially when you think about how ridiculous the storylines in these episodes truly are.

Particularly stupid are:
--Getting the materials to build two mechanical lions for a race(!)
--The whole Africa village story. Not just in how Nadia is so spectacularly (and infuriatingly) bastardized (and everyone else, too), but the entire set-up: Seriously, a village of natives that worship a mammoth lion statue with big testicles? Its treasures are a can of tin food and a juice that can make anyone run super-fast? Grandis's ex-fiance tying King to a cross for two days without any food or water? The presence of Mecha-King? The stereotypically cartoonish portrayals of the natives and the monodimensional new characters? The terrible animation? All of this, compared to a storyline that involved more hard-hitting concepts like brutish soldiers torturing innocent people in mines, fantastical ice caves with frozen dinosaurs and imaginative sights such as a white whale and a breathtaking aurora, the whole Atlantis graveyard, the American battleships, and the final sci-fi arc? It obviously doesn't sound like it should be in the same show.
--The doings of the characters in those episodes and the deserted island are very unexplained, too--how could King possibly dance on his hind legs? Nadia stupidly kissing Jean when he's stoned and expects him to remember it? Seriously? The whole "dream" sequence? And the Looney Tunes gags? Oh, and the whole thing involving the floating island is pretty dumb, too, particularly Ayerton's ridiculously implausible description of its ever-changing temperatures and the whole running-like-Road Runners gimmick.
--Even then, that arc was somewhat redeemed by the episode where Nadia and Jean find the cave of Red Noah.

All of this above sounds like it should be in a totally different series instead of one that was laid out as a sci-fi epic adventure. Compared to all that, Rebuild is a masterpiece by comparison. (I actually liked the Rebuild that I've seen so far, but I am more curious about EVA 2.0; I'm looking forward to seeing a friendlier Asuka, since she was my least favorite character in the show; Nadia herself, too, devolved into a "least favorite" character in those bad episodes.)
Last edited by JTurner on Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Heromaster111
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Heromaster111 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:58 pm

it's Rebuild not Rebirth
Currently Playing-Battlefield:Bad Company 2 and SF4

JTurner
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby JTurner » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:46 pm

View Original PostHeromaster111 wrote:it's Rebuild not Rebirth

Sorry, my bad.

Heromaster111
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Heromaster111 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:21 pm

You didn't have to apologize, don't be a Shinji.
Currently Playing-Battlefield:Bad Company 2 and SF4

JTurner
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby JTurner » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:19 pm

View Original PostHeromaster111 wrote:You didn't have to apologize, don't be a Shinji.

Heh heh.... what I meant to say was I corrected my mistake of calling it "Rebirth"; I was getting it confused with Castlevania Rebirth and Gradius Rebirth for WiiWare.

BTW, I hope that I'm not coming across as crazy when I ranted about the storyline for the filler eps, notably the Africa one, because as I was watching that I was like, "What is this? This doesn't seem like the same show to me!" You'd think that the scriptwriters would come up with someting more interesting since part of the story is about GETTING Nadia to Africa!

DevRei17
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby DevRei17 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:30 pm

I decided to give this show a go and see if it suits my fancy. The first episode was decent and fun and I hope the next few are the same. I'm curious to see what Anno's directing was like in the early days though...
Also known as Cowboy Dev.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:31 pm

View Original PostDevRei17 wrote:I decided to give this show a go and see if it suits my fancy. The first episode was decent and fun and I hope the next few are the same. I'm curious to see what Anno's directing was like in the early days though...

For that purpose Gunbuster is better.

DevRei17
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby DevRei17 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:52 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:For that purpose Gunbuster is better.

I know. Gunbuster is awesome.
Noriko is probably in my top ten favorite females as well.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:02 pm

View Original PostDevRei17 wrote:I know. Gunbuster is awesome.
Noriko is probably in my top ten favorite females as well.

yeah, Anno was genius director from the beginning. Nadia is another great example of Anno's talent, but his creative control was somewhat limited due to show being watched by plenty of kids. Anno, for example, apparently wanted some grimdark shit in Nadia that never was made...

And, of course, there's the horrible Island Arc that was not directed by him. But apart form that it's great. Great shame, without Island Arc Nadia would be one of the best classic anime titles out there...now it's "only" great classic title

DevRei17
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby DevRei17 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:29 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:yeah, Anno was genius director from the beginning. Nadia is another great example of Anno's talent, but his creative control was somewhat limited due to show being watched by plenty of kids. Anno, for example, apparently wanted some grimdark shit in Nadia that never was made...

And, of course, there's the horrible Island Arc that was not directed by him. But apart form that it's great. Great shame, without Island Arc Nadia would be one of the best classic anime titles out there...now it's "only" great classic title

Yeah about that island arc...what to do...?
Should I skip it or what?

Chrad
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Chrad » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:57 pm

View Original PostDevRei17 wrote:I decided to give this show a go and see if it suits my fancy. The first episode was decent and fun and I hope the next few are the same. I'm curious to see what Anno's directing was like in the early days though...

It gets very reminiscent of Eva around the 16-22 point.
View Original PostDevRei17 wrote:Yeah about that island arc...what to do...?
Should I skip it or what?

The Island Arc adds pretty much nothing to your enjoyment of the show.
Skip it all except for 30-31.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:29 pm

My "No Duh" Statement of the Night:

Anno's direction is genius. Nadia really is a fantastic show.

COACH
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby COACH » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:54 am

Okay, so let's say I'm going to watch this show for the first time, but I don't want to deal with any of the nonsense. Which episodes can I skip while having everything still make perfect sense? (I gather that episode 30 & 31 are kinda important, despite being "filler" episodes...)

Basically, what is your idea of the perfect Nadia experience?
「世界の中心でアイを叫んだけもの」
THE BEAST
ABSOLUTE TERROR FIELD

Chrad
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Chrad » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:00 am

View Original PostCOACH wrote:Okay, so let's say I'm going to watch this show for the first time, but I don't want to deal with any of the nonsense. Which episodes can I skip while having everything still make perfect sense? (I gather that episode 30 & 31 are kinda important, despite being "filler" episodes...)

Basically, what is your idea of the perfect Nadia experience?

Sadly, there is no 'perfect Nadia experience'. It's frustratingly incomplete.
I recommend you watch 1-22, 30, 31, then 35 to 39, and that's it.
Nothing in the other episodes has any relevance to the ongoing plot.

Return to “Gaina[x] Stuff”