What anime are you watching right now? Feb-Dec 2010

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

I'm still amazed EoE was allowed into the US.

Postby Killer Bee » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:04 pm

View Original PostHalicat wrote:How an animated drawing is a problem then I don't understand...

Because animation is FOR KIDS! :asuka_happy:

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:17 pm

I'm addicted to this

few eps in and Taishou Yakyuu Musume has been delivering so far. Taisho era + cute characters = what else anime needs, really? ^_^

Also started Kämpfer for density and "but Sakura-san isn't a slut!"

it's surprisingly watchable, at least for first two eps

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:42 pm

^
I just watched Kampfer 12.

What a shitty trainwreck of a show.

NatTheWriter
Lilith

Postby NatTheWriter » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:54 pm

Halfway through episode 13 of Paranoia Agent.

Congratulations, Ikari. =D

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:04 pm

WHO ARE YOU CALLING "DADDY"

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:16 pm

Finished Occult Academy. Over all it was a pretty good ending.
SPOILER: Show
I was glad Bunmei finally got a chance to shine. Who knew spoons were so powerful.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:43 pm

^Yeah I just finished it as well. (:|
SPOILER: Show
I didn't like the end. I seriously wanted a "YOU CANNOT ESCAPE YOUR FAAAAAAAAATE!" ending, and just when I thought that was happening, Bunmei has his mental breakdown and stopped shit in its tracks with his hax powers. wtf

all in all a fun ride, though. Too bad the Anime no Chikara project won't be returning this season. Speaking of that though, Sora no Woto's epilogue ep was awesome. I hope the "break" that project is going on is indeed a break and not an indefinite hiatus/discontinuation gig. Even if SnW doesn't have more material pumped out at some point, I'd still like to see more of their works.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:49 pm

Finished Windy Tales yesterday. Why isn't there more of it? ;_; The best slice of life series right after Kino's Journey and Haibane Renmei. I also watched the last Sora no Woto special which I sort of liked (epic Yumina is EPIC). A few weeks ago I saw two shorts by Yasuhiro Yoshiura, Pale Cocoon and Kikumana. The former was AWESOME.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:30 am

Honestly Merridian, I would have preferred that type of ending as well but the show had already made it clear something like that wasn't going to happen so I was willing to make due with what they decided to go with.

How they ended things wasn't perfect, but it was a hell of a lot better then the way some other shows I've watched have ended.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:49 am

^Yeah that's true. Final ep on the whole was great, I was just disappointed by the direction they went with. Giving the show a 7/10 anyway, since I liked it regardless of how it ended.

Oz wrote:A few weeks ago I saw two shorts by Yasuhiro Yoshiura, Pale Cocoon and Kikumana. The former was AWESOME.
FUCK YEAH

Pale Cocoon was awesome. Brilliant sci-fi short film, to say the least.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:36 pm

View Original PostOz wrote:Finished Windy Tales yesterday. Why isn't there more of it? ;_; The best slice of life series right after Kino's Journey and Haibane Renmei.

Kino's Journey isn't slice of life

Haibane Renmei isn't slice of life

Sora no Woto and ARIA are the best slice of life animus out there. Albeit I admit SnW is borderline case, bit like HR

Occult Academy finale didn't live up to the eps 11-12 but it did feature the most motherfucking awesome spoon in history of fiction so I can forgive that. All hail spoon!

Plus it had straight shota ending. Now how awesome is that? That's right, too awesome to count.

ehh, anyway: it was far from perfect ending but ok one nonetheless. I'd rank the whole series 7/10

I also continued House of Five Leaves - aka "that other artsy series from spring that wasn't called Tatami Galaxy" - today and it's been great so far.

But I love Taisho Yakyuu Musume. Love the cast but especially I love the portrayal of early Taisho era. Warm, simple and unassuming series without pretensions or stupid fanservice that nicely portrays the effects of westernization during the era - as well as its general atmosphere overall.

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:00 pm

Watching one of my new favorite series, Princess Lover! Definitely excellent. Just finished episode 9 and it's starting to get real depressing from the preview :(
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

NatTheWriter
Lilith

Postby NatTheWriter » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:04 pm

Episode three of Kanon 2006.

While still laden with moe (mreh, inevitable >_>), it's a lot better than Air. Comedy that works, slightly better character designs, and writing that doesn't give me the feeling that I'm going to be slogging through the whole thing.

...Except for the amnesia. The amnesia's irritating. The Moe-Asuka (Auu~suka?) character is especially weird about it.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:11 pm

Season finishing up...

Occult Academy was ok, the ending was a bit too predictable and they probably took the easy way out (they really didn't have enough time to do anything else). There were too many forgettable throw-away episodes.

Highschool of the dead was also a fun watch, would be cool if it was longer.

Strike Witches 2, about as good as the first season. Nothing much to write home about.

Kuroshitsuji II, also a fun watch, the new characters were pretty interesting, but the whole memory loss bit at the beginning seemed kind of a cheap plot device that never really got explained that well. A lot of people thought the first season was superior, but I thought it was about the same.

Sengoku Basara 2, was probably a little better than the first season. It was pretty epic toward the end and the cast that got glossed over in the last season had a lot more focus this time around (but no Wakamoto).

Probably one of the best shows ending this season, is Rainbow. It was too melodramatic, especially near the beginning, but once you got use to it, the story was really good. I wish there was a Soldier arc, but it ended just fine with another Mario arc. I gave it a 9/10.

Heroman finished getting subbed but I have like 12 episodes to catch up on, it's not been that high on my list. Sekirei 2, Mitsudomoe, K-ON!!, and Asobi should be finishing up soon.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:44 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Kino's Journey isn't slice of life

Haibane Renmei isn't slice of life

... what? Get your head out of your ass. Especially Kino is pretty much as "slice-of-lifey" as it can get.

And what about Cowboy Bebop?
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:14 am

^episodic =/= slice of life

the terms are related, but not synonymous.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:54 am

View Original PostOz wrote:Especially Kino is pretty much as "slice-of-lifey" as it can get.
Did you mean "ethical poser of the week"?

Aria and YKK fit much better alongside Windy Tales as a celebration of the magic of the everyday. Past that you're getting towards 'cute girls doing cute things' territory (Sketchbook, Hidamari...), before falling off into 4-koma.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

Postby ZapX » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:29 am

View Original PostNatTheWriter wrote:Episode three of Kanon 2006.

While still laden with moe (mreh, inevitable >_>), it's a lot better than Air. Comedy that works, slightly better character designs, and writing that doesn't give me the feeling that I'm going to be slogging through the whole thing.

...Except for the amnesia. The amnesia's irritating. The Moe-Asuka (Auu~suka?) character is especially weird about it.

Keep us updated on it, if you don't mind. I always like to hear the first time thoughts of people watching things I enjoyed.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:26 am

View Original PostMerridian wrote:^episodic =/= slice of life

the terms are related, but not synonymous.

Erm, TV shows are written episodically by definition. Just how isn't Kino's Journey "simply" slices of Kino's life (which are a bit remotely connected)? And what is exactly the difference between Haibane and SnW that makes ONLY the latter slice of life?

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Did you mean "ethical poser of the week"?

:rofl:

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Aria and YKK fit much better alongside Windy Tales as a celebration of the magic of the everyday.

That's mono no aware. Slice of life is a term with wider definition.

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Past that you're getting towards 'cute girls doing cute things' territory (Sketchbook, Hidamari...), before falling off into 4-koma.

... which is still slice of life.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:28 am

View Original PostOz wrote:Erm, TV shows are written episodically by definition. Just how isn't Kino's Journey "simply" slices of Kino's life (which are a bit remotely connected)? And what is exactly the difference between Haibane and SnW that makes ONLY the latter slice of life?

oh you Oz, oh you. I'd say you'd be trolling here if I didn't know better. "TV shows are written episodically" durrrr. Episodically written means episodes written as independent narratives instead of writing episodes as part of some grand story arc.

Kino's Journey is not slice of life anymore than Mushishi is slice of life. It's practically collection of short stories: and each story has strong narrative with main conflict, thematic exposition, character studies etc.

Each episode dives straigit into some philosophical and/or ethical question and brilliantly examines it within structure imposed by series format. Similarly Mushishi is "Case of the week" show with Ginko travelling here and there with no overarching narrative. But it most certainly isn't slice of life either: show is not about Ginko's everyday life. It's as much slice of life as cop shows with weekly crime cases is "slice of life".

Instead of mystical critters or crimes Kino's "Case of the week" are more abstract and varied in nature. That's the only pseudodifference.

View Original PostOz wrote:That's mono no aware. Slice of life is a term with wider definition.

Mono no aware is ancient Japanese artistic standard largerly born due to influence of Zen Buddhism on Japanese thought and character. Where western renessaince men sought perfection as beauty Japanese sought for "mono no aware" in form of wabisabi (two distinct yet pretty much identical terms) as the incarnation of beauty.

Paintings, sculptures, poems etc. all can express wabisabi, bittersweet beauty of transient and imperfect. It's meaning is far from as limited as "celebration of the magic of everyday".

View Original PostOz wrote:... which is still slice of life.

of course it is.

As for Haibane Renmei and Sora no Woto the ambiguity here is in labelling Sora no Woto as slice of life. With Haibane Renmei there's no ambiguity at all. It's certainly not slice of life.

Haibane Renmei is story first and foremost. It's plot-heavy work with clear central narrative that's developed through the show: characters act as part of this story more than other way around with individual short stories spun around the characters. It starts heavy on the plot, spends couple of episodes setting the characters and the world and then with ep 6 dives headfirst into the main narrative.

Haibane Renmei is not about everyday life of the main cast in the city of Glie like Aria is show about everyday life of gondoliers on Mars or how K-ON is about everyday life of school's light music club. If Haibane Renmei was slice of life it would've been like couple of eps in the beginning through the show: but these eps are just there to set events that come later. It's by no means slice of life.

Sora no Woto is a bit more complicated case because it too does have narrative arc that is for most of the show's run hidden in little details and offhand mentions.

The big difference between Haibane Renmei and Sora no Woto is where they place their emphasis on: HR is first and foremost about the story, its mysteries (what are Haibane? What is meaning of their "birth" dreams?) wheras Sora no Woto is about everyday life of the cast in the beautiful, slowly but surely dying world. Even the main "story arc" of the show is about preserving this backdrop instead of of the backdrop setting stage for the plot.

Ep 13 - the epilogue to the whole series - makes it clear this is where the emphasis of the work lie. The world, life of the girls inside Seize is what's important instead of said world and city being backdrop for some epic narrative.

Or as the trailer put it:

"Someone said it's already the end of the world. However, we're still living happily. Fortress number 1121, within this tower that tells time"

One can make legitimate argument to the effect Sora no Woto isn't slice of life (and I agree it's not slice of line "alone") because it does have "main story" and conflict that ties opening (ep 1) and "ending" (ep 12) together. But it's emphasis is most definetly on the everyday life of the girls and gradual exposition of the world they live in (which might be the real "main character" of the show). It's question of emphasis: Haibane Renmei's main focus is not everyday life in Glie. Sora no Woto's main focus IS everyday life in Seize. Epilogue ep makes it very clear this is what the show in the end was first and foremost about.

Return to “Old Stickies”