LCL acronym

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:39 pm

Life Complementary Liquid?

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:47 pm

Life Creating Liquid
Low Cash Level [s:30p8zlwb]explains Gainax's finances[/s:30p8zlwb]
Low Creativity Level explains the reason for no official acronym for LCL
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:54 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

berto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby berto » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:22 pm

I don't know if this has been brought up before but the origin of LCL is from that james cameron movie that takes place under water, the abyss. watch that and maybe you'll get a few clues as the meaning.
Not who you think I am.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:46 pm

View Original Postberto wrote:the origin of LCL is from that james cameron movie that takes place under water, the abyss.
He was merely building on prior art -- [google]oxygenated fluorocarbons[/google]
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:55 pm

Wikipedia wrote:In the Anime Neon Genesis Evangelion, the cockpits of the titular Mecha are filled with a fictional oxygenated liquid called LCL which helps to dampen impacts on the pilot in battle and helps him to better psychically-synchronize with his biomechanical vehicle.

What a funn sentence.
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

cd603
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby cd603 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:43 pm

maybe it represents some kind of element? you know like Na for sodium or Uuu for unununium

berto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby berto » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:40 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:He was merely building on prior art -- [google]oxygenated fluorocarbons[/google]

wait, what do mean? was there mention of LCL like substances in movies before the abyss? or do mean that cameron took it from eva?
Not who you think I am.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:23 am

View Original Postberto wrote:wait, what do mean?
I mean you should click the Google link for background on real world liquid breathing systems dating way back -- the sort of thing that inspired the concept used some 30 years later in that movie.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Ramiel
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ramiel » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:53 am

Lol, Clone Lolis? Liquid Carrot Lubrication?

...Life/Lilim Component Liquid is sounding pretty great right now.
I frequently herp where I should derp. Also music.

berto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby berto » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:17 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:I mean you should click the Google link for background on real world liquid breathing systems dating way back -- the sort of thing that inspired the concept used some 30 years later in that movie.

and that didn't give anyone any clues as to a possible solution to the acronym?

tell if i'm wrong but wasn't the acronym spelled out in the intro in one of those single frame images?
Not who you think I am.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:02 pm

View Original Postberto wrote:and that didn't give anyone any clues as to a possible solution to the acronym?

Nope. AT field is, but I think all we ever get is just a flash of "LCL" - maybe not even that, I can't recall.

If there was a stated correct answer that's what we'd all be using; as it isn't, I'm going to stick with Lilith Creation Liquid, since that's the most accurate descriptor that you can use around small children that fits the acronym.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

berto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby berto » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:48 am

Well, u can always go with lillim instead of lilith
Not who you think I am.

Robofork
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Robofork » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:07 am

For some reason, the first time I heard of LCL I thought it stood for Liquid Cooling Lotion. I have no idea why.

Podferio
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Podferio » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:37 am

Life Component Liquid does sound better for now until we know what it really stands for.

Off-topic though, what does AT in AT Field stand for? I read it's Anti Terror but it doesn't make sense...
I watched lots of animes but none is better than NGE :)

After watching NGE, other animes just won't do anymore for me...

Carling
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Carling » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:33 am

View Original PostPodferio wrote:Life Component Liquid does sound better for now until we know what it really stands for.

Off-topic though, what does AT in AT Field stand for? I read it's Anti Terror but it doesn't make sense...

I thought it was "Absolute Terror"

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:20 am

View Original Postberto wrote:tell if i'm wrong but wasn't the acronym spelled out in the intro in one of those single frame images?

Never. Although the EoE Program Booklet (Red Cross Book) does state:

Translation by Bochan Bird:

[L.C.L]
The liquid that fills the inside of the entry plug. Viscous in nature and having a blood-like odor, when charged by electricity its molecular arrangement is altered, allowing L.C.L to perform a number of functions such as mentally linking the pilot and the Eva, supplying oxygen, and providing both physical and mental protection to the pilot. This same L.C.L also fills the lowest level of Terminal Dogma where Lilith is kept. Various interpretations have been circulated such as that "L.C.L" is the abbreviation of "Link Connected Liquid", but what it appears to be is the actual "soup of life".
(Translator's Note: The D&R Movie Program (Sp. Ed.) states clearly that "L.C.L" is *not* the abbreviation of "Link Connected Liquid".)

Translation by Patrick Yip:

[L.C.L]
The liquid that fills the cockpit of the Entry Plug. It is sticky and has the smell like blood. It was discovered that when its molecular arrangement is changed by electricity charge, the liquid can perform several functions including the mental link between EVA and her pilot, supplying oxygen and providing both physical and mental protection to the pilot. The liquid that fills the lowest floor of the Terminal Dogma where Lilith was located is also L.C.L. "L.C.L." is the abbreviation of "Link Connected Liquid". There are many theories as to what exactly L.C.L. is, but it seems that in fact it is what was called "the soup of life".

Seems somewhat inconclusive, but I'm fairly certain "Link Connected Liquid" is firmly debunked.

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:03 pm

"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

Seph
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Seph » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:02 pm

Their ATMs are very slow.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:54 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Seems somewhat inconclusive, but I'm fairly certain "Link Connected Liquid" is firmly debunked.

And as mentioned a few pages back, Evangelion: Chronicle suggests one of the "L"s stands for "Lilith".
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”