What anime are you watching right now? Feb-Dec 2010

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Re: Later, Buddy.

Postby Killer Bee » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:26 pm

View Original Postalabaster wrote:I couldn't believe it either. But the show is awesome all the way through. And what happens in Episode 8 and who it happens too have a continual presence in the show. So all is not lost.

Truth be told, I had it spoiled for me. But I had no idea it happened so early in the show, it caught me completely off-guard. I would've expected it to happen during the final few episodes or something.

ran1
Banned

Postby ran1 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:43 pm

Gurren Lagann had pretty much the ideal beginning for a pastiche mecha series. But the ending disappointed me quite a bit.

You can't go wrong with the first half of the show, however.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:48 am

View Original Postran1 wrote:You can't go wrong with the first half of the show, however.

This. First 15 episodes of GL can be 10/10 sometimes. Second half is sort of meh for me also, and it really changed my opinion of the show.

But it has a really high re watch value, and the 2nd half is less painful the second time around.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:57 am

It's funny how you two don't like the second half as much since it's GL's take on "Eva period" mecha anime (90's obviously). You love Eva, but dislike when GL goes Eva. Besides, it's so batshit crazy in the final episodes (when it tries to top every other mecha anime ever made in terms of action) that you can't help but love it. :lol:
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Voland
Adam

Postby Voland » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:14 am

Hellsing

How I wish for those twerds to meet Alucard. Or Blade. Either will make my day.

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:58 am

Hellsing

That actually made it into a Cracked.com article recently.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18655_9- ... Japan.html
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Voland
Adam

Postby Voland » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:29 am

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:That actually made it into a Cracked.com article recently.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18655_9- ... Japan.html

This article fails beyond fail when they put Alucard in the list. The others, I agree 100%...what they did to Alice is just wrong...but seriously,

"By now the world has seen vampires that scare, amuse, arouse, teach math, peddle cereal and practice abstinence. So what new element could the anime series Hellsing possibly bring to the table? The answer: a pair of guns that you'd need Hammer pants to conceal."

These guys never heard of Blade before? And seriously, Dracula...beloved character? Seriously? Maybe the writer confused Dracula with Edward Cullen...

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

Postby chazthesilencer » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:17 pm

View Original PostOz wrote:^Gurren Lagann gets better and better all the time.
TTGL, the only show that actually manages to dilute "epic".
That said, it was enjoyable for what it was. That's all I'll add to the TTGL debate.

@Topic: Feeling perverse for the summer?

Demon King Daimao - Magic, high school and fanservice.
I would argue that the fanservice present in the Negima franchise works for comedic effect, but in DKD, seeing all the needless panty-shots and nudity just made me feel unwell.
The idea of a "good" student destined to become an evil overlord had potential, but this series couldn't see past the green-haired, gynoid with the bunny-tail. Shame.
Special prize for anybody able to understand what the fuck is going on in the last episode.

Grade D - Not recommended

Omamori Himari - Harem show with cat/demon-girls thrown in.
Episode 5 is where I drew the line here.
Usual setup: lead male has an invisible, girl-magnet attached to his crotch, converts villains into housekeepers, inappropriate hijinks ensue.
Perhaps one of our pubescent forum members can tell us how the story ends?
I'll bet the lead gets it on with all of the girls and winds up stabbed by his first.

Ungraded

Najica Blitz Tactics - Secret agent and perfumer...what?
Probably mentioned this in the past, but I feel no shame in admitting the first episode of this very nearly made me regurgitate. There's just that much vagina.
I have a saying: "A lot of good is bad, a little bad is good." This was clearly a case of the former.
The last few episodes almost saved this show, but not almost enough. Probably the worst £45 I've ever invested.

Grade F - Avoid

Not perverse, but I’ve also been watching:
The DAICON IV opening – Why have none of you jerks ever told me about this before?
That explosion…best explosion ever.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:09 am

View Original Postchazthesilencer wrote:The DAICON IV opening – Why have none of you jerks ever told me about this before?
That explosion…best explosion ever.
we assumed since you had knowledge of Eva and other GAINAX productions like FLCL, Gurren Lagann, Nadia, etc., that you already knew about DAICON IV
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:08 am

View Original Postchazthesilencer wrote:Najica Blitz Tactics - Secret agent and perfumer...what?
Probably mentioned this in the past, but I feel no shame in admitting the first episode of this very nearly made me regurgitate.
One of the few series out there that makes the fanservice in Strike Witches seem subtle and understated.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:45 am

View Original PostOz wrote:It's funny how you two don't like the second half as much since it's GL's take on "Eva period" mecha anime (90's obviously). You love Eva, but dislike when GL goes Eva. Besides, it's so batshit crazy in the final episodes (when it tries to top every other mecha anime ever made in terms of action) that you can't help but love it. :lol:

Well, perhaps this sounds strange coming from an NGE fan, but TTGL pretty much established itself as not serious at all during the first 15 episodes and all being about fast paced action, and not particularly much plot going on.

Then in the 2nd half some characters act incredibly uncharacteristic (fucking Rossiu) and they try to bring in a "grimdark" plot that feels really out of place after the grand finale of episode 15 and all.

Yeah yeah I know, NGE did the same, but somehow it always kept the sense in the first half that it has potential for something much greater while TTGL was more like mindless fun.

Again, after watching it a 2nd time and expecting all of that it was much more bearable, but still.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:12 am

IOW: "Damn, you GAINAX bitches! You made my entertaining no-brainer show more complex!" Although I have no clue what you mean with the part about characters acting "uncharacteristic" (character derailment?). The "dark" aspect was there from the beginning, but it was never really focused on. IMO the beginning of the second half isn't really that different from the rest of the show. Besides, it's followed by ridiculously awesome action scenes in the final 5 episodes so there's nothing to be complained about, really.

Heck, I even gave GL an 8 and I still stick by my rating. Yet I still find the criticism of the supposedly "grimdark" period of GL hollow.
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:52 pm

I don't have much to add to TTGL debate because I agree with everything Oz has said so far. The criticism leveled at the latter half of the show usually comes down to people simply disliking the change in tone rather than any valid argument regarding something the show actually did wrong.

Rossieu's character gets a lot of flack, but think about it for a second. He came from an uptight straight-edge village that was about as stiff-lipped as they come, and he'd been raised there up into his teenage years. A couple of years with the GL crowd isn't going to change his upbringing a whole lot. Stick him in a position of power, let his stress levels go through the roof, and he's going to fall back on what he knows. He basically admits all of this when he returns to his empty village and meets the old dude again. His 'derailment' only seems as such because the audience isn't privy to his personal moments until after his arc concludes.

Aside from Rossieu, I can't think of any characters that suffered from anything resembling derailment.

Radi
Adam

Postby Radi » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:53 pm

Just watched The Girl who Leapt Through Time...
Oh. My. God....

Natsuka_Chie
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Natsuka_Chie » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:19 am

Does it mean you liked it or you hated it? xD
Asuka's not a bitch, she just denies her innocence in a bitchy way.
Sites I'm in: Deviantart|XFire
Quotes:
"Yesterday, I had the most TERRIFYIN' experience! ...Last night, I was all alone in my room... when outta nowhere... CAME THE SMELL OF A FART THAT WASN'T MINE!"
"The things I possess are my life and soul. I'm a vessel for my heart"
"God isn't home. He's on vacation at Vegas."

"Don't forget. Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you. As long as you remember them, you're not alone."

Radi
Adam

Postby Radi » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:00 am

View Original PostNatsuka_Chie wrote:Does it mean you liked it or you hated it? xD

"Like" is not a good enough word.
I LOVED the movie. I got over the flaws; I loved the story-line, and ending. Good emotional appeal. :)

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:51 am

View Original PostRadi wrote:I got over the flaws

Flaws? In my Hosoda film? I DON'T HABEEB IT.

Okay, let's take this seriously. What's this supposed flaw in TGWLTT? I thought the film was quite great overall although the ending was written and executed in a rather embarrassing way.

ran1
Banned

Postby ran1 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:26 am

Radi wrote:I got over the flaws

As EGF's biggest Hosoda fan and writer of lolCirclejerk analyses of his films, I can pretty much say I've never seen a flaw in any Hosoda film. He's probably the best contemporary anime director out there. Far better than Anno as of late. Summer Wars has preformed and been recieved better at almost every festival (most of which 2.0 was premiered at as well) so I'm not alone in this view.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

Natsuka_Chie
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Natsuka_Chie » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:26 am

I don't know why I wanted to see that movie months ago, but I have no regrets of doing so and it's a perfect 10 score in my list.
Asuka's not a bitch, she just denies her innocence in a bitchy way.
Sites I'm in: Deviantart|XFire
Quotes:
"Yesterday, I had the most TERRIFYIN' experience! ...Last night, I was all alone in my room... when outta nowhere... CAME THE SMELL OF A FART THAT WASN'T MINE!"
"The things I possess are my life and soul. I'm a vessel for my heart"
"God isn't home. He's on vacation at Vegas."

"Don't forget. Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you. As long as you remember them, you're not alone."

Radi
Adam

Postby Radi » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:19 am

Whoa, whoa, whoa!
Chill, there, haha.
The only thing that bothered me, (And you can't even really call this a flaw), is toward the end where she was running, and it was like, a minute of endless running with hard breathing. I was just like.."Okay, come on." I'd give it a 10 too, but I just was annoyed by that small bit. The ending was so damn good.

Return to “Old Stickies”