"Some Meal Rei Gets to Eat"- *Sarcasm*

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:53 pm

I assumed Rei doesn't eat meat because of being Lilith; it'd be eating her own children if she did.

(In contrast, Kaworu should have no problem with eating meat; in the Eva2 game Kaworu is seen eating whatever else the characters eat, yet Rei is depicted as only eating salads or ramen or soups when you make her eat something.)

At least Rei can eat regular food, but for whatever reason (my guess is a means of control along with whatever the pills in NME are supposed to do), Gendo/Ritsuko feed her pills usually.

I recall reading somewhere online (MAL or another forum) that Rei's pills in NGE have to do with blood loss or anemia (from her Eva-00 injuries, I guess?), but as far as I know, the actual reason for her pills in NGE or NME is never given.

And yeah, steak is going to be more expensive in Japan (remember Shinji and Asuka's comments about it in episode 12?). Hell, the cost of living in Tokyo is similar to the cost of living in the Bay Area California, if it helps put things in perspective.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

The Abhorrent
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby The Abhorrent » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:19 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:I assumed Rei doesn't eat meat because of being Lilith; it'd be eating her own children if she did.

In all honesty, that's probably still the best explanation. The pictures just raised questions on if something Gendo did is the reason Rei is a vegetarian. The way she said "I dislike eating meat." always seemed to imply it conjured up a bad memory, something saddening (if not horrible) that she wants to distance herself from.

Rei may be closer to Gendo than the other pilots, but she states in the original series that she isn't treated any better (which presumably carries over into Rebuild). Could these images be the first glimpse of exactly how the commander treats her? And could their relationship be rather abusive? He definitely does treat her as a sort of science experiment... but could he be doing other things to her on top of that, perhaps some type of emotional abuse?

But if we were to assume that is not the case, Gendo is still seeing eating a steak in front of Rei. There are three possibilities for why he would do so, relating to his knowledge of Rei's refusal to eat meat:

- He knows, and he's doing it deliberately to offend her (or something along those lines, could easily be to make her feel uncomfortable). Unlikely, but I wouldn't put it past him to do something like that. Considering Rei's "meal".... yeah, not helping.

- He knows, but doesn't care. Most likely situation, I think. Rei isn't known for voicing her protests.

- He doesn't know. You would think Rei would say something before then, but again she isn't known for voicing her protests..... especially to the commander. This could be the case (though just barely), and is probably the only senario which doesn't paint Gendo as a bigger jerk than he already is.

In any case, I would say we need some more evidence before jumping to any conclusions. It might be explained in the remaining Rebuild films, it might not. Only time will tell this tale.

EDIT -- Potential schmuck bait intended as an honest warning removed.
He who isn't afraid to stand by his ideals...
Isn't afraid to stand alone.

Rodeo
Ramiel
Ramiel

Re: "Some Meal Rei Gets to Eat"- *Sarcasm*

•      
  •      

Postby Rodeo » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:34 pm

Being a clone and all, she's probably not entirely healthy. She herself says she can't live outside her fish tank. So it makes sense for her diet to be kept regulated.

View Original PostOrnette wrote:As for Rei, maybe Lilith doesn't like the idea of consuming her own progeny.

This. I Personally thought it was pretty darn obvious.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:20 pm

View Original PostKLVTZ wrote:Yeah, its funny. But whats interesting is they never really explain why Rei can't eat meat.

Kinda off topic, but I recently read this little fanfic that offers a unique take on the subject of Rei's odd diet and I'd like to share: FAST by Adam Kamon
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:45 am

You know, all the implied "survivalism vs. sanctity of life" theme during the aquarium picnic is kinda blunted by the fact that Touji states a few seconds earlier that the food is 90% artificial.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

Voland
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Voland » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:25 am

View Original PostSaltyJoe wrote:You know, all the implied "survivalism vs. sanctity of life" theme during the aquarium picnic is kinda blunted by the fact that Touji states a few seconds earlier that the food is 90% artificial.

meat is 9% artificial, according to the english subs...unless they got it wrong -_-

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:16 am

View Original PostVoland wrote:meat is 9% artificial, according to the english subs...unless they got it wrong -_-

It's 90% in the subs made by the fine people of EvaGeeks.

But think logically: would 9% artificial components be that big a deal to warrant an exclamation of "Wow, despite the fact, this stuff tastes great!" ?
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:20 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:And yeah, steak is going to be more expensive in Japan (remember Shinji and Asuka's comments about it in episode 12?)
One of the things that rang slightly false -- Asuka seemed way too acculturated too soon. Coming from a European context, a steak dinner would be seen as being fobbed off with something déclassé -- steak and chips is what you find on any tourist menu, for those unwilling to sample the local cuisine, where it's one step above going and finding a generic hamburger joint.

Perhaps if it had been that insanely expensive highly prized Japanese beef, the name of which I can't bring to mind at the moment, it would not have that air. Or as something she would go for as an escape from the local "monster food" (the sort of thing that can be fended off by saying "You do me too great an honour -- I shall have to give you a truckle of Stilton in exchange!")
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Voland
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Voland » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:23 am

View Original PostSaltyJoe wrote:It's 90% in the subs made by the fine people of EvaGeeks.

But think logically: would 9% artificial components be that big a deal to warrant an exclamation of "Wow, despite the fact, this stuff tastes great!" ?

uhm...can I ask you to please link me to a better subbed version? It´s obvious the one I watched was inaccurate -_- The scene where Asuka first appears, a couple of sentences were omitted :(

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:32 am

View Original PostVoland wrote:a better subbed version?
The 2.0 translation thread should point you at the textual form that can be played with the existing video.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Voland
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Voland » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:54 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:The 2.0 translation thread should point you at the textual form that can be played with the existing video.

thanks!

EDIT: reading through the thread and going to the links provided by thread starter, I´ve scanned through the subtitle file...it still says 9% :S

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:40 am

View Original PostVoland wrote:uhm...can I ask you to please link me to a better subbed version? It´s obvious the one I watched was inaccurate -_- The scene where Asuka first appears, a couple of sentences were omitted :(

Here's a direct link to the latest version, provided by squall.leonhart, the de facto chaperone of the translation project (links are at the bottom of his/her profile).

Also, the line in question:
EvaGeeks transaltion wrote:Dialogue: 0,0:23:41.77,0:23:47.61,eva-2,Kensuke,0000,0000,0000,,{\be1}How did you make meat that's 90% artificial taste so good?

Okay, so it was Kensuke, not Touji. Should have known.

Voland
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Voland » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:38 pm

jesus christ, I really hope it was a typo that changed the 90% into a 9%...because if you mix 90 and 9... :S

xark
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby xark » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:48 pm

Rei is not a vegetarian. she's seen eating a number of things throughout the series that are meat-based - ramen especially. so i'm not even sure that she dislikes the idea of consuming her 'offspring'. i think she just dislikes the texture/consistency of meat, i always assumed that it was too much like chewing on flesh to her.

Natsuka_Chie
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Natsuka_Chie » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:33 pm

She eats ramen with only vegetables, as seen in episode 12.
Asuka's not a bitch, she just denies her innocence in a bitchy way.
Sites I'm in: Deviantart|XFire
Quotes:
"Yesterday, I had the most TERRIFYIN' experience! ...Last night, I was all alone in my room... when outta nowhere... CAME THE SMELL OF A FART THAT WASN'T MINE!"
"The things I possess are my life and soul. I'm a vessel for my heart"
"God isn't home. He's on vacation at Vegas."

"Don't forget. Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you. As long as you remember them, you're not alone."

KLVTZ
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby KLVTZ » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:12 pm

I don't mean to double post this but no one seemed to be commenting on my idea, what do you think?
]whats interesting is in the Elevator Scene Rei Replies to Asuka( Who previously ask her "how she feels about Shinji")-
and then
and even then

I can't help think of the previous scene in the movie, when she asks to have Shinji over so that all three can have a meal together with gendo(in my first post)
When she desribes the 'warm and content' part i can't help but think of the miso soup offered to her, or the scene when she is eating those pills and asking Gendo.
It seems she relates food and warmth to the relationship of her with Shinji and others.
Im throwing that out there.

Debate :catfight:
"It's good to be open minded......but not so open that your brain falls out."-physicist Richard Feynman

Tycho
Embryo

Re: "Some Meal Rei Gets to Eat"- *Sarcasm*

•      
  •      

Postby Tycho » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:58 pm

View Original PostRodeo wrote:This. I Personally thought it was pretty darn obvious.

But, ain't vegetables part of her offspring too?? ALL life came out of the "primordial soup".

xark
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby xark » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:16 pm

View Original PostNatsuka_Chie wrote:She eats ramen with only vegetables, as seen in episode 12.

freshly made ramen is never vegetarian unless you go to a specialty restaurant. the broth is made with various different meats (pork and chicken, usually), fish, and bones. a ramen stall like the one she eats at in the series would not have vegetarian broth, especially not a bowl that she orders just with no meat, iirc. if anno is a vegetarian, i'm assuming he knew this :tongue:
i say this as a vegetarian (then vegan) who had a hell of a time finding something to eat in Japan haha. almost everything there is made with fish and meat, even the dashi in miso soup is made with fish 99% of the time.

Natsuka_Chie
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Natsuka_Chie » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:48 pm

View Original Postxark wrote:freshly made ramen is never vegetarian unless you go to a specialty restaurant. the broth is made with various different meats (pork and chicken, usually), fish, and bones. a ramen stall like the one she eats at in the series would not have vegetarian broth, especially not a bowl that she orders just with no meat, iirc. if anno is a vegetarian, i'm assuming he knew this :tongue:

Then the question is: "Does Rei know that?"

I'm starting to think she only dislikes to eat beef or pork...
Asuka's not a bitch, she just denies her innocence in a bitchy way.
Sites I'm in: Deviantart|XFire
Quotes:
"Yesterday, I had the most TERRIFYIN' experience! ...Last night, I was all alone in my room... when outta nowhere... CAME THE SMELL OF A FART THAT WASN'T MINE!"
"The things I possess are my life and soul. I'm a vessel for my heart"
"God isn't home. He's on vacation at Vegas."

"Don't forget. Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you. As long as you remember them, you're not alone."

jojojoker
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby jojojoker » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:58 pm

I think the pills symbolise that she is not normal like the other characters to new watchers. This is due to their lack of knowledge about the clone thing. Also, I think she is given pills as supplements to normal food since she lives alone and really doesn't know how to take care of herself properly.
I'm quite alright; quite fit
Omniscient Council Of Vagueness: SEELE

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”