So uh, I went and wrote a song based on Evangelion.

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Ramiel
Lilith

So uh, I went and wrote a song based on Evangelion.

•      
  •      

Postby Ramiel » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:28 am

Er, I hope this is in the right section. I didn't think it counted as an AMV at all. Maybe it's an Inverted AMV?

A little while ago, I was bored. Things like this song tend to happen when I get bored, which also means homework doesn't happen. I'm happy with the tradeoff.

Here are the lyrics, in case you don't want to listen to a sixteen year old girl with a very sore throat (but you know, it would make me super duper happy if you listened to the actual track):
This isn't what I expected. No, not even close.
Did no one think to give me a warning?
Yes, of course I look like I've just seen a ghost.
That's just the realisation dawning.

Here in this shaded room I think to myself
Where has this trail got me going?
I'm told it was made for me, made for no one else.
I'm told the pressure isn't showing.

We're building up to the count down
And every eye turns my way
Technically, I could back down
But what am I supposed to say?

A thousand angels are coming to get me
A thousand voices are haunting my sleep
There's no escaping this fight; they control it
I try to run. Though I hide, I am seen.

I've made it this far and I can't believe it's true
It's hard to imagine what I've done
I know it gets harder but I will see this through
Because I know I must not run

And though I'm dangerously hanging by a thread
I will still find a pathway home
There may not always be someone by my side
But I'm told that I am not alone

I feel like I'm coming around
I feel like I can face these days
But still I faintly hear the sounds
And they won't go away

A thousand angels are hijacking my world
A thousand eyes watch as I start to scream
And every angel will fight for the same end
A thousand angels are coming for me

(On and on and on they go)
(They're starting to surround)
(On and on and on they go)
(What's hidden underground)
(On and on and on They go)
(They're starting to surround)
(On and on and on They go)
(What we hide underground)

(It's kind of ridiculously repetitive, just looking at the lyrics. Hmm.)
I frequently herp where I should derp. Also music.

The Fourth Evangelion
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby The Fourth Evangelion » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:44 pm

May I be honest? You got a great Voice!
http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=9237
Go here, and read the story in which UNIT-04 finally shines!

Ramiel
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ramiel » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:07 pm

Thank you! ^^

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:22 pm

Every so often, something awesome reminds me of why I started this board in the first place. I love this fandom.

Excellent work, Rachel. :wink:

Kind of reminds me of the song "A Touch of Reality" that Sasha Arkoff did for Eva-R.

You just got yourself another subscriber.

ASLO MP3 DO WANT.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:18 pm

Love it.

==spreads the word to eva fans I know outside the forum==

I also like the other songs on your channel.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Natsuka_Chie
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Natsuka_Chie » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:58 pm

Oh.God.
I love you, you know? :w00:

Also, I want an mp3 too ^_^
Asuka's not a bitch, she just denies her innocence in a bitchy way.
Sites I'm in: Deviantart|XFire
Quotes:
"Yesterday, I had the most TERRIFYIN' experience! ...Last night, I was all alone in my room... when outta nowhere... CAME THE SMELL OF A FART THAT WASN'T MINE!"
"The things I possess are my life and soul. I'm a vessel for my heart"
"God isn't home. He's on vacation at Vegas."

"Don't forget. Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you. As long as you remember them, you're not alone."

Ramiel
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ramiel » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:10 am

Wow, thanks guys! I'm grinning from ear to ear right now, haha. The MP3 should be up for download from my last.fm page. If it's not there, I probably goofed something up. I tend to do that.

Ooh, A Touch Of Reality is great. *adds it to favourites* The harmonies in the chorus are quite pretty too. I really have to get around to reading through Eva-R.

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

•      
  •      

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:46 am

:jawdrop:

...holy crow, that was quite impressive. And honestly, wonderful voice.

Another good one onto the (admittedly short) stack of non-JP EVA songs. Yes, there are a few more that exist. Now if only I could still find that one Misato-themed garage-punk song...
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

Ramiel
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ramiel » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:11 am

Thank you, Bardiel!

What are some of the other songs? I know Fightstar (sp?) recorded at least a couple, but other than those, I don't really know any others.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:47 am

View Original PostAngelNo13Bardiel wrote:Now if only I could still find that one Misato-themed garage-punk song...

Here you go:
http://www.evamonkey.com/Saint_Dragon_-_Misato.mp3

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:39 am

Spectacular performance. I'm not a person who hears much of fan singing, but this is probably the best I've ever heard. Way to go, Singing Angel of Thunder!
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

•      
  •      

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:01 am

View Original PostRamiel wrote:Thank you, Bardiel!

What are some of the other songs? I know Fightstar (sp?) recorded at least a couple, but other than those, I don't really know any others.

Yeah, that was pretty much the rest of the pile right there (unless I'm missing more of them).

Oh, and you're welcome.

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Here you go:
http://www.evamonkey.com/Saint_Dragon_-_Misato.mp3

...this is already turning out to be a great day. Lost that track years ago, been looking for it ever since. Thank you greatly, EM.
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby oOoOoOo » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:45 am

Thank you so much for sharing this with us! It warms my heart. ^_^

This could just be my personal preference, but I feel like your lyrics are too wordy at times, and distract a bit from your voice. I'd like to hear your voice let free from the shackles of so many well-pronounced words. I'd like to hear you get a bit messy. Literally, you seem too perfect, haha. Isn't that a weird thing to hear someone say? My technique was never so strong, so I'm a bit jealous.

Out of curiosity, do you compose the vocal melody first, or the lyrics?

Now, I mean this as a compliment, but this really does seems too easy for you. You act all humble but I really believe you can sing like this without breaking a sweat. ^_~

I listened to some of your other tracks, and I'm pretty confident in declaring you musically inclined. You make it all look effortless. If you're not considering a pop career, please consider musicals. They are so fun to be a part of, if you haven't already done a few dozen. It is even better when people pay you.

Good stuff!
~ O-chan is soooo 2D right now.

The Fourth Evangelion
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby The Fourth Evangelion » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:25 pm

I'm just so gonna download it and put it on my phone. The more I listen to it, the more I like it...

If you're aiming to become a professional singer/songwriter, I'd say go ahead. You're the best I heard in a few months. Not that this says much for somebody who mostly listen folk/celctic metal but I haven't heard such a nice voice in a long time.
http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=9237
Go here, and read the story in which UNIT-04 finally shines!

LeoXiao
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby LeoXiao » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:56 pm

This is great. It is repetitive, but that makes sense given the "thousands of angels". The song itself is quite haunting, even moreso than the events of the anime itself. Oh, and your voice is practically perfect.
The only only small complaint I have with the lyrics is that sometimes there are too many words where there could be less. It's really a minor issue though.

Ramiel
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ramiel » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:35 am

I can't say 'thank you' enough, but thank you guys anyway XD

View Original PostoOoOoOo wrote:Out of curiosity, do you compose the vocal melody first, or the lyrics?

It depends on the song. For this one, I thought of the melody for the chorus before anything else, so I fit the words to the melody I had. After that, I wrote pretty much everything else simultaneously - I find things seem to flow better when the lyrics are written with the melody, rather than trying to bend them to fit each other.

I agree on the wordiness point though, but I couldn't think of any shorter way of putting things where none of the sentences sounded lopsided. Er, if that makes sense.

I'm aiming to be a professional singer/songwriter, but Australia's music industry is rather tiny, so I'm not sure how that's going to work out. Especially since I can't play guitar (unfortunately, pianos aren't the most portable things in the world) and my style of music is so... weird. Still going to give it a shot though. And anyway, I'm only sixteen, so I've got tons of time. I'll have university to keep me busy for the next three years, too.

...I wish I could be in musicals. I want to be Christine Daae one day. Heh, or Carlotta. That would be amazing. Actually, Blind Mag would be pretty cool too. Unfortunately, my favourite role of any musical ever is a male part, so I couldn't really do that. I've never heard of a female Judas. (But a female King Herod from the same musical could actually work...)

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby oOoOoOo » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:09 am

I thought the strongest part of your vocal performance, now that I think about it, was this section: "And though I'm dangerously hanging by a thread / I will still find a pathway home / There may not always be someone by my side / But I'm told that I am not alone"

It felt like your voice was flowing quite naturally. In other parts of the song it feels almost like you're worried about ensuring all the words are presented correctly, but for this part you just feel so very natural. It's my favourite bit.

It is interesting you try to do words/melody at the same time, though. (I'm really interested in the different ways people create their art, that's why I ask.) What worked easiest for me was composing the vocal part as if it was just any other instrument (using complete gibberish instead of actual words). Then I would write lyrics later, basically as if composing a poem.

But I haven't written a song since high school, hehe. ^^;

Now, your lyrics are actually complete sentences. Your lyrics make perfect sense to me when I read them "on paper". But the wonderful thing about pop music is that words take on a new life when set to music. Lots of pop songs are just half-formed sentences and associated words, but they still capture a feeling. Does that make sense? As an experiment, I'd try writing lyrics that were more nonsensical, and see if you can still capture the same emotions. (When I was in English class in high school, one teacher made us do all sorts of weird writing exercises like that, to see if we could still capture our "core feeling" in different ways, and then we'd pick the way that worked best. We'd be forced to ditch all punctuation, or forced to only use verbs, or only use nouns, etc, etc.)

And if you could somehow become the first female Judas... wow... I would become president of your fan club.
~ O-chan is soooo 2D right now.

Ramiel
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ramiel » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:29 pm

The funny thing is, that was the section I was having the most trouble singing. I wasn't really concentrating on wording at all, overpronouncing things is just a little ingrained after years in a children's choir. I was concentrating on trying to pitch things right.

Writing nonsensical lyrics is actually harder for me than writing things that make sense. I tend to either get hypercritical of what I'm writing or just start laughing at it. I have been trying though! ...but I think I might have a heart attack if I was forced to drop all punctuation.

LeoXiao
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby LeoXiao » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:32 pm

I actually find it nice that everything is pronounced so smoothly; it has the feeling of a poem set to music. Its hard to explain but I think it fits the nature of the piece; to me it had an eerily calm temperament that was strengthened by the "exactness" of the lines.

firegirl26
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby firegirl26 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:11 pm

that was good
"GOD'S IN HIS HEAVEN.....ALL'S RIGHT WITH THE WORLD." NERV

Return to “Fan Works”