Kaji's (and Mari's) English

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
ehh123
Embryo

Kaji's (and Mari's) English

•      
  •      

Postby ehh123 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:45 pm

Do you think Kaji's attempt at speaking English was intentionally bad? Everyone else was doing a pretty good job, especially Mari's actress even if she did have a slight accent. The people that Kaji was talking to seemed to be confused at what he was saying. Then again, I may be expecting too much from Koichi Yamadera, who is like the Frank Welker or Mel Blanc of Japan. Voice is one thing, language is another. :wink:
"Does the bus run through here?"

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:54 pm

No, I'm pretty sure that Yamadera's English was just shitty.

subAtomic
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby subAtomic » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:23 pm

I noticed in all fansubs that "perfmafrost excavation" has been incorrectly translated as "permafrost extraction". He's saying "excavation".

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:26 pm

The other actors were meant to fill English-speaking roles, while Kaji is filling a primarily Japanese-speaking role. I wouldn't hire somebody whose only job is to speak English for two or three lines if they couldn't do it moderately. However, Kaji is Kaji, and Kaji primarily speaks Japanese.

View Original PostsubAtomic wrote:I noticed in all fansubs that "perfmafrost excavation" has been incorrectly translated as "permafrost extraction". He's saying "excavation".

A lot of the words were incorrectly subbed, but the meaning of the phrase didn't really change. Intentional or not, it's no big deal.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:26 pm

The idea that the guys listening to Kaji have no idea what he's saying fills my heart with joy. If I could be pretentious for a moment, which I will, I would postulate that it's a metafictional element meant to mirror the audience's own confusion in regards to Kaji's terrible English.

"El-en. Ker pow!"
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Kaji: King of Komedy

•      
  •      

Postby Killer Bee » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:40 pm

I thought that was the most hilarious part of the movie. Everyone at Bethany Base just looks at him like he's nuts. I can imagine them all whispering to each other...

"What the hell's he saying?"
"Is he Japanese or something? He doesn't look Japanese."
"Maybe he's retarded."
"I like his stubble."

And then when Kaji completely kills the "wild in bed" joke; Shinji, Toji, and Kensuke just look at him like... well, like he's a stranger who just walked up to them and commented on Misato's sex habits. And then Kaji turns and walks away, probably thinking about how cool he must've sounded. And the three kids are like, "What the hell just happened?"

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby oOoOoOo » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:48 pm

The best part is how elaborate the English lines are. He's not all "OKAY SEE YOU LATER GUYS". I always have to pause at that point and read everything, because my brain is getting all confused by things that sound like English.

Surely they could have found some random gaijin to make a weird phonetic chart or something for Kaji's actor to read off. But for the average Japanese person, maybe that sounds suitably foreign to be believable.

Kira Bee-kun, I like the way you're thinking. That's totally Kaji, haha.
~ O-chan is soooo 2D right now.

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:50 pm

one of the goofier scenes in it, but its effective for what it is
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

evaunit13
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby evaunit13 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:18 pm

always reminds me of this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcUi6UEQh00&playnext_from=TL&videos=5MtS6UH4G1A
i want rebuild

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:59 pm

This is what first came to my mind when i first heard him speaking.

Aslo, when i first watched the camrip, i thought he mentioned martini in there somewhere. Must be the Bond-like image.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

Eva 02
Clockiel
Clockiel

Re: Kaji's English

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 02 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:15 am

View Original Postehh123 wrote:Mari's actress even if she did have a slight accent.

You can hear when she goes from speaking to Shinji to answering the phone that its a different actress, I just noticed that not 30 minutes ago. Her accent also appears to be Ukraine or Czec or Even Lebanese. Its pretty clear english for a foreigner, almost seems like they assimilated into english language and is now forcing herself to put accent.

View Original PostSachi wrote:However, Kaji is Kaji, and Kaji primarily speaks Japanese.

I think the point was to show Kaji's multifaceted-ness. Granted he worked primarily in Germany, its safe to assume he spoke german as well. I seem to remember reading somewhere he can speak french and something else but then again,, if its not mentioned in the anime you dont always know where it comes from.
Mikoroshi Tou Kara Zutto

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

Re: Kaji's English

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:20 am

View Original PostEva 02 wrote:You can hear when she goes from speaking to Shinji to answering the phone that its a different actress

No it isn't. That's all Maaya. I'd know that angelic voice in any language. Besides, she sings in english all the time.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Eva 02
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 02 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:38 am

Idk, listen to the difference right now. Its either a really bad cut or she's trying to imitate a different accent. The only way you can tell its Japanese is the tongue sounds.
Mikoroshi Tou Kara Zutto

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:27 am

It's the same voice actor as confirmed on the DVD. Maaya's just that talented.

Besides, it's nowhere near as much a crazy difference as Daisuke Namikawa or anyone like that.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby oOoOoOo » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:35 am

It is because of Zappy-kun that I now have three albums by Mari's incredibly talented voice actor. She can do anything. The best part about her is that she seems like a regular girl, not some model-perfect idol descended from the celestial realm. She's also got the same crazy double-jointed arms I do. This is all very relevant to Kaji.

^^;

English is really like the modern Latin. I bet most people who could "speak Latin" back in the day were really shitty at it. English is already slowly changing into something many people in the Anglosphere (Britain and former colonies) can't really recognize. It isn't really "our" language anymore. I've seen Kaji-style lines in a few foreign films now. You go to some places and people speak crazy hybrids of English and the local language.
~ O-chan is soooo 2D right now.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:25 am

View Original PostoOoOoOo wrote:You go to some places and people speak crazy hybrids of English and the local language.

Have you been eavesdropping on Xard and me? :think:
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:28 am

View Original PostsubAtomic wrote:I noticed in all fansubs that "perfmafrost excavation" has been incorrectly translated as "permafrost extraction". He's saying "excavation".

Just to nitpick, his incoherent English isn't being translated into another language; it's being transcribed into text so people can actually know WTF he's saying. The lines have been difficult enough (tons of revisions) that it's no surprise something slipped through the cracks. Good to know.

View Original PostoOoOoOo wrote:You go to some places and people speak crazy hybrids of English and the local language.

I heard plenty of that just lounging around at the community college campus here in New Jersey. People just flipflopping between Spanish or Korean or Chinese (not sure which Chinese) and bits of English.

Makes me kind of jealous. I want to spontaneously dump bits of non-English into my discourse all the time, but people either wouldn't understand me, or they'd tell me to stop being a weeaboo.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:36 am

I couldn't believe how fucking bad Kaji's english was. I'm a native English speaker, I can get by all right in Japanese, but I literally thought he was speaking gibberish when he first started talking. I had to rewind the movie to understand that his voice actor was attempting English. If he was that goddamn bad, why the fuck didn't they just have him speak all the lines in Japanese? Why did they bother to use English at all? I wish they would have fixed this for the DVD release.

I hope for the English dub, they have Kaji's "english lines" spoken in really broken, horrible Japanese. That would be sweet.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:39 am

View Original PostOz wrote:Have you been eavesdropping on Xard and me? :think:

OH GOD DAT FINN-MONGOL-TURK-ENGLISH-HUNGARIAN LANGUAGE.

Onkohan Kaji puhuu Englanti

amidoinitrite?

I can appreciate Anno trying to make Kaji more "authentic" as a spy, but it indeed fails miserably.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:51 am

View Original Postran1 wrote:amidoinitrite?

You silly American. Pfft. :nono:

First of all, remove "onkohan" (weird inflection, by the way) because Finnish questions aren't structured like they are in English. Directly modify the verb instead and place it first. You also forgot to inflect the object so it doesn't stand out as the object (englanti -> englantia). And in Finnish we don't use capital letters for languages. So the sentence should be like this:

Puhuuko Kaji englantia?

EDIT: For the English dub, they should force Kaji's voice actor to speak Finnish. Epic lulz would be guaranteed.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”