Is Rebuild a Continuation of the Original Series / Movies?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Thu May 27, 2010 2:47 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:The chalk outline is probably an early teaser for some of the mind-numbing new material they've barely begun to explain (if even that). Adams, anyone? We don't even know how clueless we are.

The Adams don't have arms or visible legs, unless I'm missing something.

I just find it really odd that there's no reference whatsoever to it in either 1 or 2. Nobody ever drives by it or complains about it being an eyesore or wonders about how it got there. They just completely ignore it; no, not even that, because that would imply that they think there's something there to ignore. It's not even clear where it is, although the surrounding shots indicate that it's probably in Tokyo-3.

The other thing that throws me about it is the size of the head. It's a little large for it to be an Eva, although I guess an MPE with its head thrown back would fit. The Adams would fit a little better, but they have limb issues.

I just don't even know.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu May 27, 2010 3:26 pm

I just made a long post about the Adams here. (I'll try to address your last post over there.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

EdZ
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby EdZ » Thu May 27, 2010 5:57 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Aside from being blue rather than red (and being from an entirely different anime), it's the same shot, right?
Take a look at the two shots again. The pattern of waves isn't merely similar, it's identical.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu May 27, 2010 8:25 pm

View Original PostEdZ wrote:Take a look at the two shots again. The pattern of waves isn't merely similar, it's identical.

Hence, a shout-out that reuses the douga from #26'.

They did say they'd be reusing animation, didn't they? Perhaps all such instances can be worked into the conspiracy...

"The way Toji picks up Shinji in Jou is identical to the way he picks up Shinji in episode #03! Further proof that history is repeating itself!!" Etc., etc.

I'm getting carried away, but hopefully you get the point.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri May 28, 2010 1:02 am

View Original PostEdZ wrote:Take a look at the two shots again. The pattern of waves isn't merely similar, it's identical.

Yes... and so is the one from Nadia. Look at it again... the lines are thicker/rougher in Nadia, but the pattern of detail and even the shape of the foamy edge on the beach is the same. It's beyond obvious that whoever did the shot for EoE blatantly retraced from Nadia.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Fri May 28, 2010 1:55 am

That shot is reused a lot of times throughout both NGE (Episode 01, 20, 24, EoE) and in Rebuild, too.

[URL=http://img185.imageshack.us/i/wavea.jpg/]Image[/URL]

This is from the scene where Kaji talks to Shinji about Misato. The same waves, against a different shore. I don't see any conclusive evidence either for or against Rebuild being a sequel yet, but it's clear that this wave shot is a motive Anno really, really likes. And maybe it's not anything more than that.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

jrice73
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby jrice73 » Fri May 28, 2010 1:57 am

After watching 2.22 last night, I've got to say that the sequel idea does appeal to me. But as I was watching, I thought of the new Battlestar Galactica and its integral idea "that all this has happened before and all this will happen again." Could it be that Shinji and Asuka are trying desperately to get it all right by reinventing their world or reality? I really like that idea. However it could also be that just like in BSG, the first Evangelion series and films took place thousands if not millions of years ago and this is just another round of the same eventual end to humanity because Shinji, Asuka, and company are all doomed to repeat their mistakes over and over again but each iteration is a bit different each time, hence the red oceans and the blood on the moon. That would be cool too.
Warm water penguins rule!

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Fri May 28, 2010 4:55 am

They're explanations for the red oceans in 2.22.
Second impact made the oceans red and the way the blood on the moon is in 1.XX and 2.XX is completely different from the way it is in EoE.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat May 29, 2010 7:25 am

Just saw this on /a/

SPOILER: Show

Is this for real? Is this more grist for the sequel mill -- Asuka's improvised missile weapon from EoE?
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Rodeo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Rodeo » Sat May 29, 2010 8:01 am

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:The Adams don't have arms or visible legs, unless I'm missing something.

The drawing style in that scene was kinda funky, they did have arms in the 2.0 preview.

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Just saw this on /a/

I've seen it there several times. The theory was put forward by people who forgot that the thing landed bow first, several miles away from that location. And that's ignoring how it completely blew up shortly after impact.
Last edited by Rodeo on Sat May 29, 2010 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JoeD80
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby JoeD80 » Sat May 29, 2010 12:21 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Is this for real? Is this more grist for the sequel mill -- Asuka's improvised missile weapon from EoE?

Looks like a ship or a submarine of some kind.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat May 29, 2010 12:32 pm

That's a ship, all right. I blame Clockiel for tossing it out of the water this time. A lot of ships were wrecked and thrown about in that one battle.

The wave motif is the last thing I would use to call it a sequel. Anno loves that one shot.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat May 29, 2010 12:41 pm

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:I blame Clockiel
In 1.x?
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat May 29, 2010 12:46 pm

That's a 1.x image? If it's pre-Sachiel, I have no idea what to say. Sachi was confronted by a bunch of warships, and he was big enough to toss a few himself.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat May 29, 2010 4:01 pm

perhaps it has to do with whatever made that ZOMG HUEG chalk outline?
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sat May 29, 2010 4:12 pm

It's also a different ship:

[wkimg:26btcjzd]Rebirth ship lift.jpg[/wkimg:26btcjzd]

[wkimg:26btcjzd]Eoe ship lift.jpg[/wkimg:26btcjzd]

simon
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby simon » Sat May 29, 2010 4:13 pm

View Original Postjrice73 wrote:After watching 2.22 last night, I've got to say that the sequel idea does appeal to me. But as I was watching, I thought of the new Battlestar Galactica and its integral idea "that all this has happened before and all this will happen again." Could it be that Shinji and Asuka are trying desperately to get it all right by reinventing their world or reality? I really like that idea. However it could also be that just like in BSG, the first Evangelion series and films took place thousands if not millions of years ago and this is just another round of the same eventual end to humanity because Shinji, Asuka, and company are all doomed to repeat their mistakes over and over again but each iteration is a bit different each time, hence the red oceans and the blood on the moon. That would be cool too.

Gotta agree on that BSG feeling ;]
"Images, quotes, and code tags are not allowed in Signatures."
Just some awesome polish art site:fototapety

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon May 31, 2010 6:59 am

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:That's a 1.x image? If it's pre-Sachiel, I have no idea what to say.

2I --> tsunamis all over the place --> hugeass ships ending up in weird places?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Fallingtogrey
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Fallingtogrey » Mon May 31, 2010 7:28 am

Possibly.
Last edited by Fallingtogrey on Thu May 30, 2013 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Fear. It is something vital to us puny creatures. The instant Man stops fearing is the instant the species will reach a dead end, only to sink to pitiable lows, only to sit and wait apathetically for extinction!"

Podferio
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Podferio » Mon May 31, 2010 7:35 am

I highly doubt the Rebuild series is a sequel to the original series.
1. A sequel of more than 10 years from the orginal is absurd.
2. ANN(Anime News Network) and Wikipedia says the Rebuild is a retelling with alternate ending.
3. If it's a sequel and things are just being repeated, then why won't Shinji and Asuka make a difference and correct whatever mistakes they had.

These are the 3 most compelling reasons for me to believe that rebuild is not a sequel to the series.
I watched lots of animes but none is better than NGE :)

After watching NGE, other animes just won't do anymore for me...

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”