Recommended Eva Manga reading please

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Zeruel
Adam

Recommended Eva Manga reading please

•      
  •      

Postby Zeruel » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:59 pm

I was wondering because I haven't read the manga (Sadamoto's) Is there any others worth reading or picking up?? I'm obviously a big Kaworu and Toji fan and was curious knowing that, are any of the AU Eva mangas deal deeper into there characters or them becoming Eva pilots and if so which ones are they and are they worth picking up.?
Why in God's name would I wanna keep writing about characters whose central preoccupation are weed and dick and fart jokes? I mean, ya gotta grow man. Don't you ever want anything more for yourself? I know this poor hapless son of a bitch does. I look into his sorry doe eyes and I just, I see a man crying out. He's crying out, "When Lord? When the fuck can your servant ditch this foul-mouthed little chucklehead to whom I am a constant victim of his folly, so much so that it prevents him from ever getting to kiss a girl! Fuck! When, Lord when? WHENS GONNA BE MY TIME?

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:06 pm

Don't read any of them

winnerschoice.png

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:55 pm

Check out Sadamoto's manga.

Angelic Days is a fun read as well.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:02 pm

Sadamoto's handling of Kaworu and Touji is both different, and interesting, in my opinion. You may or may not like how they're handled, but it's a certain fact that it'll give you something new.

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:13 pm

Don't bother. They all pale in comparison to the series itself.

I'm rather surprised that you want MORE character development in Eva. Episodes 25 and 26 satisfied me in that regard.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:24 pm

The manga is just as worth reading as watching Rebuild is. That is to say, every Evangelion fan should try it once. Can't say anything about the other mangas, sadly.

BattleMonkey
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby BattleMonkey » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:41 pm

Sadamotos is the only one worth checking out, rest have been pretty bad.

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:26 pm

Definitely go for the Sadamoto Manga. It follows closely to the TV series with more twists that the TV version couldn't handle. As for the other manga, I believe they are the alternate universes of NGE, so it's optional.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:15 pm

Personally, I liked Girlfriend of Steel 2 (Angelic Days in the states). It has a nice plot being based off of that game, thought the artwork won't be everybody's cup of tea.

You should check out Sadamoto's manga as well just to see if you like it or not. And Gakuen Datenroku is going to be released stateside in August.

Ikari Shinji Raising Project may have good art, but really not much in the way of a plot like the other ones. >_< (At least later volumes....)

There are various threads about all these manga which is why I didn't really go into describing them, but just look into what you think will personally interest you.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Lucretius » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:05 am

I thought both AD and Shinji Ikari Raising Project were cute, though obviously they're both moe/cliche/fanservice/wish-fulfillment fest. If you're as ignorant of anime and manga tropes as I am, you might like them.

Haven't read much of GD, but it looks like a farily generic action story with the characters from the original series. There's lots of Kaworu, if you like that.

Sadamoto's manga is great; it certainly beats the original in the coherence department. The tone is less schizophrenic than that of the original series and the characters and their relationships often make more sense than their celluloid counterparts. Rebuild essentially runs off thunder stolen from the manga, and not very well, at that.

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Proud supporter of Shinji x Sachiel

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:21 pm

Tangent about Sadamoto's manga split to a more appropriate place. Let's try to stay on topic, guys.

Last really on-topic thing from SaltyJoe (victim of split):

SaltyJoe @ Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:20 am wrote:Well, if you ar an ardent EVa fanatic, you should try all of them. After all, you can't know whether you will like something or not till you tried it, no?

A quick note on Gakuen Datenroku: personally, i don't think it is anything special, but there is one chapter in it that is totally hilarious. It features Rei with a fetish for horse heads.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

giuliano
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby giuliano » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:31 pm

I really like the Sadamoto manga and would suggest getting that - For me I like how there's more Rei scenes and Shinji is less... pathetic for the most part.
There's a lot more Kaworu, though he's portrayed quite differently...
It hasn't concluded yet though so who knows how exactly it'll end up.

Angelic Days I wouldn't recommend... I thought it was short at 6 volumes long and the ending seemed rather abrupt.
I've read the first 3 Shinji ikari Raising Project and am enjoying that a lot more, but I'll have to see how the story progresses.
It's GENDO~

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:50 pm

You should look into this Scooby Doo/Evangelion crossover I heard about:

The famous Mystery Inc. is taking a vacation in Japan. During a day trip, however, they run into much of the cast from Evangelion, hopelessly lost after a training exercise gone wrong. The group tells them of a mysterious string of events beginning to unfold inside the charitable NERV organization's headquarters. Could a mysterious gang known as The Angels be to blame?

However, I've only heard about it, and it seems to be a bit on the hard side to find. I hear it is worth reading once you find it.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:22 am

View Original PostCorporalChaos wrote:You should look into this Scooby Doo/Evangelion crossover I heard about:

Count me out. Sure, I like Scooby Doo, but this is ridiculous.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:29 am

View Original PostCorporalChaos wrote:Scooby Doo/Evangelion crossover
So, they end up pulling off Keele's visor to reveal Gendo, who snarls "And I would have gotten away with it if it weren't for those meddling kids!", I presume.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:12 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:So, they end up pulling off Keele's visor to reveal Gendo, who snarls "And I would have gotten away with it if it weren't for those meddling kids!", I presume.

But only after finally managing to trap him by means of a hare-brained scheme involving train tracks and a rocket-powered skateboard.

DIDDY
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby DIDDY » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:41 am

Read Sadamoto's for the drawings and the cat killing. Everything else will make you gag.
ONLY SMART PEOPLE LIKE EVANGELION?

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”