Split: Rebuild 2.0 pace/plot complaints

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Taekmkm
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Taekmkm » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:30 pm

Going back to his Gunbuster days?
We watched 'The Lion King' in my math class once. After it was over, the teacher passed out worksheets that said: "If the circle of life had a diamter of 46 inches..."

Eric Blair
Alberto del Rio
Alberto del Rio

•      
  •      

Postby Eric Blair » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:33 pm

A little late to the haet p[arty, because I swore to myself I wouldn't post in anything rebuild related in this forum, and instead will simply roll my eyes and group everyone liking Rebuild as "idiots" just like how they group the people who don't like it as "whiners", but...

Not everyone who hates Rebuild hates it because of it being a wish fulfillment fanfic, I hate it because it's character bashing, from Shinji all the way to the angels.

If something works, you don't need to "fix" or "rebuild" it; that's like everytime someone tries to "reboot" a series and all it does is cheapen the experience, and make the franchise a cash cow with so many idiots buying shitloads of shit to said related franchise.

When Rebuild came out, I chose to stop buying anything related to Eva. if Anno wants to get richer by pandering to the fans and giving them what "they want" using TTGL and Go Gai Gar as "trial balloons", that's their individual choice, me not liking it and being vocal about it doesn't make me a troll just like how people liking it doesn't make them "connoisseurs".
In this time of Rebuild, I'm proud to be one of the few fans of the original NGE, and one of the last proud fans of Asuka Langley Soryu.
Avatar: A fighting boy meets girl on a one night stand, walking into the blue, ending day by day as they dance in a very merry Christmas, continuing on my own as a burning one man force while you come and make my day approaching in the nick of time and always, stand by me.

Heromaster111
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Heromaster111 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:35 am

So are you saying you basically geared yourself to disliked it before 1.0 even came out?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:14 am

View Original Postchee wrote:REBUILD IS JUST LIKE THE WISH FULLFILLMENT FANFICS I WRITE/READ BECAUSE THEY'RE WHAT I WANTED EVA TO BE LIKE WOULD BE INSTEAD OF WHAT WE ACTUALLY GOT WHICH IS WHY REBUILD SUCKS

Whoever's getting their fanfic wishes being fulfilled, it sure ain't me. :dejected:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:22 am

That's because we haven't gotten to the point in the story where Yui and Kyoko have their sexy time.

Seriously though, I think that Rebuild isn't about retelling the story. I think it's about deconstructing fandom.

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Lucretius » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:29 am

View Original PostLegendary wrote:Seriously though, I think that Rebuild isn't about retelling the story. I think it's about deconstructing fandom.

I somehow doubt Annoi thinks about Eva fandom nearly as much as Eva fandom thinks about Anno. Or Evangelion, for that matter.
Last edited by Lucretius on Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Proud supporter of Shinji x Sachiel

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:36 am

View Original PostLegendary wrote:That's because we haven't gotten to the point in the story where Yui and Kyoko have their sexy time.

It's probably too late now for them to work in two of the must-have wish fulfillment requirements: "Kaworu is a female with male 2ndary sexual characteristics" and "Kaworu's dad is a purple-haired biseinen named Akira Katsuragi".

Also, the things they've done rather than not done have been the wish fulfillment equivalent of putting my shoes on and discovering that somebody stuffed them with dog shit. And even though I may one day enjoy having dog shit in my shoes, a part of me will always feel dirty about it.

I think it's about deconstructing fandom.

I feel like I want to disagree, but I'm not completely sure why or what about. I need sleep.
Last edited by Reichu on Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:38 am

@Reichu
Now that I would pay good money to see.

View Original PostEric Blair wrote:When Rebuild came out, I chose to stop buying anything related to Eva. if Anno wants to get richer by pandering to the fans and giving them what "they want"

>Implying that that isn't what's been going on since 1995

chee wrote:REBUILD IS JUST LIKE THE WISH FULLFILLMENT FANFICS I WRITE/READ
Did you mean "Rebuild of Evangelion -- a fan-film by Hideaki Anno"?
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:58 am

View Original PostLucretius wrote:I somehow doubt Annoi thinks about Eva fandom nearly as much as Eva fandom thinks about Anno. Or Evangelion, for that matter.

I didn't say EVA fandom. I said fandom. Mari might be a very good representation of the foreign Mary Sue pilot who just steals the spotlight from the original pilots, but she works just as well as the foreign Mary Sue who just spotlight period.

Mr. Tines wrote:Did you mean "Rebuild of Evangelion -- a fan-film by Hideaki Anno"?

No, no he didn't. Seriously, that doesn't even make SENSE.

Soul Fire
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soul Fire » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:45 am

Was my last post too long then I take it? Sorry about that, was just bored and quite possibly high at the time.

My bad

Dean
Yes I know Im posting a lot at the moment but I really dont have anything better to do at the moment and it takes my mind off the phone bill....

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:33 am

Mr. Tines wrote:Did you mean "Rebuild of Evangelion -- a fan-film by Hideaki Anno"?

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:24 am

View Original PostLegendary wrote:I think it's about deconstructing fandom.

If there were any hint at deconstruction taking place rather than shameless pandering (to both audience and sponsors) I might be inclined to give this thought, but as-is I think you're just being an apologist.

No, I'm not waiting for the third movie to offer criticism. Even if Q is amazing it won't save 2.0 from being a disapointment as a film.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:44 am

I'm not apologizing for anything yet, just offering a direction we might see 3.0 go. And please note that your "I haven't seen deconstruction in the first two films of Rebuild, just pandering to the audience." is a little like "I've watched the first eighteen episodes of Evangelion. It's dark and all, but I'm not seeing a whole lot of deconstruction. Just a lot of pandering to the audience via fanservice."

Deconstruction takes time to get through, especially when you start by playing everything straight. It's fine to have an opinion about 2.0, but don't start calling me names just because I'm seeing Rebuild building up to something and you aren't. I could still very much be wrong and I'm aware of this.

But I might not be.

Taekmkm
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Taekmkm » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:09 pm

Now they're trying to come up with meanings for Beatles songs. I never understood what any of them were about, myself...
—Ringo Starr
We watched 'The Lion King' in my math class once. After it was over, the teacher passed out worksheets that said: "If the circle of life had a diamter of 46 inches..."

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:14 pm

View Original PostLegendary wrote:Deconstruction takes time to get through, especially when you start by playing everything straight.

...which is why it works in a series and fails completely in a movie. Films, even in a planned series, MUST be able to stand completely on their own merits.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:18 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:...which is why it works in a series and fails completely in a movie. Films, even in a planned series, MUST be able to stand completely on their own merits.

>implying watching Return of the King only would make any sense

Taekmkm
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Taekmkm » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:09 pm

Add The Empire Strikes Back to that.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:30 pm

View Original PostLegendary wrote:No, no he didn't. Seriously, that doesn't even make SENSE.

Sorry, I misquoted

View Original PostJimmyWolk wrote:I really think it shouldn't be regarded as anything but "Rebuild of Evangelion - a fanmovie by Anno Hideaki! *Disclaimer: I don't own Eva... oh wait, I do!*"

also

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Anno has spent the last decade-plus watching people having fun doing all sorts of Eva fan-fics, and wants to join in.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Zeruel
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Zeruel » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:27 pm

So I'm getting from the basic jest of this thread is nobody liked 2.0???

Well for me from the cam rip I saw and the English subs I got from this forum, I loved it. Instead of trying to compare it to what he has already done to me is pointless. I love it for what it is, a new Eva story going in a new direction. If anything, if say it was closer to the show I would be actually disappointed, I mean honestly why wait 2 to 3 years for a new Eva movie for it to be exactly like the show, its a waste of time and money. Why not do something new??? And yes there isn't as much character development from the show compared to the movies but you have to understand it is a movie and not a 26 episode show things are gonna be cut out, people are going to change, character progression in the movie seems quick and vague but that's Anno trying not to waste time on things the fans( which is probably 80 % of the audience) have already seen, so why waste time in the movie showing whats already known or familiar when you have a new opportunity to show something new and exciting?

My one compliant though is with the Eva's themselves between the "The Beast" mode in Eva 2, Eva 5 and then what we will probably see in 3.0 Eva 6 , Eva 7 and the Eva 8 it seems the mech part of the show seems to be going in the direction of a Gundam show were there just mindless weapons instead of some mystical weapon that they appeared to be in the show. That to me is my only real complaint for the movies and I hope with all of this that I'm wrong and the explanation for all of them and what they are, who they are and what they are built for comes out later in the the last 2 movies because to me it seems like there just trying to sell toys.

IDK its my opinion and I just don't understand why fans are pissed off. But if some fans don t like it then some fans don't, every one is entitled to there own opinion.
Why in God's name would I wanna keep writing about characters whose central preoccupation are weed and dick and fart jokes? I mean, ya gotta grow man. Don't you ever want anything more for yourself? I know this poor hapless son of a bitch does. I look into his sorry doe eyes and I just, I see a man crying out. He's crying out, "When Lord? When the fuck can your servant ditch this foul-mouthed little chucklehead to whom I am a constant victim of his folly, so much so that it prevents him from ever getting to kiss a girl! Fuck! When, Lord when? WHENS GONNA BE MY TIME?

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:31 pm

Zeruel: majority of people have loved 2.0, especially outside EGF.

you should know us hardcore fans will be most cranky about RoE - it was inevitable from the start :lol:

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”