(Second) Evas vs. Angels Design Contest! (Afterthoughts)

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:23 pm

I don't see a problem. Look at it like this. Scientists today say that while there is only one life-inhabited planet in the solar system, there could have been three if things had been a bit different. See where I'm going?

Sammael was en route to... Venus, as it is the most inhospitable. Lilith was zooming towards Mars. Adam was heading to Earth. Sammael messed up Lilith's trajectory, sending he/she/it towards Earth. Sammael's moon explosion knocked Uranus off kilter (solving more astrophysical mysteries!) and sent him/her/it on an immense orbit that took four billion years to realign with Earth.

There. No more coincidences. It all makes sense.

Formless One
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Formless One » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:39 pm

Axell wrote:I whole heartedly admit that my writing is sub-par, always has been, always will.

Ah, don't be too hard on yourself. Its not like you wrote "Half Life: Full Life Consequences" or anything. :wink:

I suppose If I had added these or other criteria that maybe you'd be less mad at me. I conceit defeat :(

I'm not mad at you, I'm here to help. :)

Legendary wrote:I don't see a problem. Look at it like this. Scientists today say that while there is only one life-inhabited planet in the solar system, there could have been three if things had been a bit different. See where I'm going?

That would be an improvement, although I should note that there is a reason Venus and Mars don't harbor life like Earth does. Neither of them are quite in the sun's habitable zone, and the fact that both of them are smaller than Earth probably also contributed to them becoming the inhospitable wastelands they are today (especially in the case of Mars).
[/opinion]
[size=75]My (fan-)fiction [color=blue]

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:59 pm

yea maybe saying he was sent off to be alone on a planet that happened to be close to liliths planet would make more sense, throwing sammy in a random direction is retarded now that i've thought about it for a bit longer

thanks for the feedback guys, this is why writers need editors, to point out silly things, especially inexperienced writers :)

AyrYntake
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby AyrYntake » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:03 pm

I just realize a completely docile, unintimidating and ultimately friendly character from a different anime might subconsciously have "Azrael-ed" me:
He's dark, smoky and pretty much incorporeal except for face and arms.
Cirrus, Socrates, particle, decibel, hurricane, dolphin, tulip

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:46 pm

...except for No-face's habit of eating people, yeah.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:24 am

Ok, the votes are in and everything is being prepared. Expect to Awards Week to begin on Monday, Sept. 14th!

Oh, in other news:

Afterthoughts on: Shalgiel

Frankly, I am a bit surprised at the popularity that this Angel has gained this year. I attribute this popularity to two things: a) that Shalgiel's document was a somewhat leaner, simpler passage to read and b) the sheer horsepower of Avatar of Dreams' artwork carried it to heights I had never anticipated. So in other words, I had little control over whether or not I could make the Angel popular or not.

Shalgiel was a much less epic character and Design compared to my last feature, Iblis. In fact, Iblis was meant to be the type to be a major character for an entire story arc, while Shalgiel was meant to last the equivalent of two episodes at most in the anime. Also, a significant chunk of the concept came together a month before I finally posted it.

Technically, Shalgiel was an old concept that I had been working on 2-3 years ago. I had a completed document that I had posted on IMDB before and I was hoping to make this a quick job and re-post that one here. Upon inspecting it, however, I realized that the thing required some major edits and re-writes; the document was barely legible! I also noticed that poor Shalgiel v1.0 was sorely out-of-date and needed some serious refitting of his arsenal and techniques if it was to be worthy of its A-class rank. Even now, as it is, I think it should be downgraded a bit considering that other Angels boasting better arsenals were surpassing it.

Most of the Angel's basic feel and concept was laid out in the years before. The "Pillars of Ice" attack, however, was added to expand what was then a limited ranged arsenal. The mechanics of how the blizzard was formed was greatly expanded upon. Before, the storm just seemed to follow the Snow Angel everywhere. Now, with the use of the ATF, the "Living Blizzard" ability was more tangible and believable.

The greatest addition was the mention of the "dense ice gel" which was key to forming all of Shalgiel's brand of freak ice. Before, the ice was simply normal frozen water - which was a silly idea. This gel was included to make the ice believably strong enough for intense Eva combat as well as other special abilities. It was based on the idea that dissolving a solute into water would affect its physical properties such as boiling point. This was also inspired by a material that was considered for use by the British Navy (then scrapped) which consisted of wood pulp and ice, which resulted in ice that did not melt as readily as normal ice.

There were three other innovations about the Angel that I put my focus on other than the one previously mentioned; the "Pillars of Ice", the ice armor system, and the Living Blizzard. Of all of them, the blizzard seemed to gather the most attention because of what it did. For me, I thought the armor system was going to get more attention because it was not like any other up to this point. If I had gotten Avatar to illustrate the "Ice Scatter" ability (supposed to be an awesome and destructive sight), maybe I would have gotten more interest in it.

Some things that bothered me about Shalgiel was the fact that he looked a bit too much like the Diemay Angel that I used for a reference. In fact, it was the original inspiration for Shalgiel's original concept. So, I worked hard to emphasize Shalgiel's unique abilities and armaments. Another thing about him that bothered me was the fact that Shalgiel had little to no direct symbolic ties with its source material and was designed mainly for effective combat against Evas. The fact that I could not find anything else about the Angel "Shalgiel" made matters worse, and my Angel had to make do without it. Finally, I am still grappling with myself, wondering if the mechanics of the Angel's abilities even work. In terms of the dense ice gel, I have been wondering if the chemistry and physics work I did made any sense.

Still, I am proud of my work and thank you all for you kind words.
Last edited by Chowwow on Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Formless One
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Formless One » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:49 am

Chowwow wrote:Finally, I am still grappling with myself, wondering if the mechanics of the Angel's abilities even work. In terms of the dense ice gel, I have been wondering if the chemistry and physics work I did made any sense.

You know, sometimes its just as well to let it go unexplained. It would most likely end up being meaningless technobabble anyway, and its best not to risk ruining people's SOD even more.
[/opinion]
[size=75]My (fan-)fiction [color=blue]

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:12 am

I thing the 'ice armor' concept was pretty natural really, at least in the realm of anime logic. I have more trouble with the snow-based radar and the ice columns, both in terms of how they 'launch' and their air burst capability. When you get right down to it, these features seem too technological to be part of a living creature, at least to me.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:42 am

It was the artwork and the same "technological" features you mention that made it so good in my opinion. The description may not have been simple and I do think it needed more illustrations showing the attacks, but it did show that this was quite a sophisticated Angel. It may not be at the same level as Iblis or TAO's Uriel, but it's not lacking in anything.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

2nd ADC Awards Week Begins!

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:56 am

Finally, the votes are in and the Awards have been decided. Today marks the first day of Awards Week for the Angel Design Contest!

ADC Awards Week

Our Designers and their respective Angels for this year:

And our Judges:

And a very special thanks to Avatar of Dreams for all of his hard work with the Awards for this year.

And on with the show!

Today I present our winners for Best Innovation and Best Creature Design!

The Award for Best Innovation went to the Angel with the most interesting features or abilities – be it in design, how it fought, or its concept in general.

Our top nominees were:

pat457 with Ialdabaoth: Angel of Murk
Vegeta 20XX with Jamaerah: Angel of Manifestation
chazthesilencer with Ensuivanel: Angel of meadows
AyrYntake with Azrael: Angel of Death
Axell with Sammael: Angel of Death
evilhead008 with Uriel: Angel of “Balance”

And the winner is:

Image Vegeta 20XX for Jamaerah: Angel of Manifestation

The race for this Award was unusually tight this year, with many good runners gunning for this position. Jamaerah narrowly won out because of its interesting ability of augmenting itself by consuming the remains of defeated but greater Angels and absorbing their abilities and its swarming attacks. No such creature seen in Evangelion or in this Contest's history has anything similar (except for one), and while initially weak, is sure to be a silent threat with a great potential of becoming a very formidable force given time.

One Judge wrote:Its hard to really come up with something new and innovative when it comes to angels, or indeed any monster in fiction. There were a lot of backstabbing undead-ish angels in the running this year, but this guy stands out by being the one who reuses and re-incorporates what has come before. Kind of ironic that way.

Another Judge wrote:I can hardly begin to conceive its appearance

This may come as an upset for some, as for our runners up were just as likely to win. Ialdaboth won points for being so unconventional and incorporeal that it was scary, though focus on flaws and lack of power made it hard to see anything else about it. Sammandriel was innovative for its XBOX HUEGE list of transformations that seemed power him up to greater and greater levels every time, though that may have been too over-the-top. Azrael and Uriel rang a few bells with some with their interesting methods of attack, though not too much else. And Ensuivanel got a mention because of its moving core ability - though that should have been expected from an amorphous blob in retrospect.

What one Judge on Ialdaboth wrote: He makes up for his weakness by being fucking terrifying. Many shapes, enough to seem terrifying. Add in some nice healing, and this dude could probably keep the Evas in a corner until they saw how weak it was.

What one Judge on Ensuivanel wrote:A moving core, able to squeeze through buildings, naughty tentacles... Very cool.

The Award for Best Creature Design went to the Angel with the best artistically attractive physical design. Attention was paid either to illustrations, text descriptions, etc.

Our top nominees were:

Duskbyday with Sammandiriel: Angel of Imagination

And the winner is:

Image evilhead008 for Uriel: Angel of “Balance”

Uriel impressed people very early on with its very interesting and unorthodox composition that projected an air of being both formidable and terrifying. As a result, evilhead008's entry dominated this category by all but one vote. The fully-colored artwork was stunning for what it was and immediately assaulted the viewer's eyes with its complex and demonic form. Two heads really were better than one, as well as three tails and multiple smaller cores!

One Judge wrote:Uriel is cool as hell, simple as that. I still think the mini cores in the wings is kinda goofy, but not enough to bring it down to any of the other entries' level.

Another Judge wrote:I took a look at the picture. And froze. It was freaking terrifying. And then I noticed the dualism, and the interesting little details (like how it has three tails, not two...)

Sammandriel got earned one favor for its impressive array of fearsome and complex transformations, though seemed to be a bit too much: being too numerous and complex and seemingly having little to do with each other. Sammael was mentioned for its clean and detailed artwork depicting a twisted and disturbing creature, though the fact that it looked more like the drummer for a punk-rock group may have hurt it a bit. Azrael earned a mention for its unique cluster of details (symbols used in design, tennis ball-inspired core design, etc.), but may not have stood out compared to the rest (which is good for an assassin). And Ensuivanel was praised for its simplicity and the endearing quality of its eyes - begging to be comforted than to be feared.

What one Judge on Sammael wrote:So ugly. So twisted. So... wow.

Tune in next time to see our winners for Best Character and Best Fighter!
Last edited by Chowwow on Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Duskbyday
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Duskbyday » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:45 pm

Congratulations you 2! You deserve it!
(Your sig is kinda long. Maybe you could shorten it?)
"Mountain. Heavy are the mountains, something that changes through the ages. Sky. Blue sky. Something visible, something invisible. Sun. Something unique. Water. Something agreeable. Commander Ikari. Flowers. Many of them alike, many of them useless. Sky. Red, red sky. Red color. Red color that I hate. Water flow. Blood. The smell of blood. A woman that does not bleed. Made from the red soil are humans. Made by Man and Woman are humans. Town. Something that humans made. Eva. Something that humans made. Humans are what? Something that God made. Humans are things which humans made. The things I possess are my life and mind. The vessel of a mind. Entry plug, the throne of a soul.

Who is this? This is me. Who am I? What am I? What am I? What am I? What am I?

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

2nd ADC Awards for Best Character and Best Fighter!

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:06 am

Welcome to the second day of Awards Week for the ADC!

Today we have the awards for Best Character and Best Fighter!

The Best Character Award went to the Angel with the most engrossing and interesting personality or story background. Attention was paid to descriptions of it as a dramatic character.

Our top nominees were:

And the winner is:

Image Axell for Sammael: Angel of Death

What separated Axell's entry into this Contest, aside from its archaic use of runes in place of a typical core and its unique art style that was clearly more realistic-oriented rather than anime-inspired like the rest of the entries, was its clear focus on characterization and humanization of this ancient creature. With a backstory setting up Sammael as a tormented and lonesome creature, and a scenario that hinted to its ancient background and desires, Axell managed to do something that I hope more people be willing do in the future: establish the Angels not just as monsters to be destroyed, but characters involved in the bitter story that is Neon Genesis Evangelion. His connection to Lilith, his involvement with the origins of Earth, and hints into the working of the FAR, are mysterious and tantalizing. Though he may be a plot device, Sammael could become a very important piece in this huge puzzle that is NGE's origin and backstory.

One Judge wrote:A failed seed, wanting to destroy Lilin and Angels, and desperate for the attentions of another in the form of Lilith. This is a great story.

Our runners up could not seem to equal Sammael's qualities at this Award. Uriel and Sammandiriel were tossed around because of what their designs and behaviors seemed to imply about them: Legendary diagnosed them with obsessive personality disorder and multiple personality disorder, respectively. Azrael gained credit for being uniquely ruthless and disinterested in starting Third Impact - though not too much else.

What a Judge on Sammandiriel wrote:Perhaps I should call this the most unusual character. The seemingly mixed-up, blackmailing, hostage-taking, imagining, thinking Angel Sammandiriel gets my vote only for the sake of being so unusual.

What a Judge on Azrael wrote:Azrael's personality and larger goals give him an edge on the rest, though the whole 'grim reaper' vibe is just too pop culture-ish for me.

What another Judge on Azrael wrote:Dude collects souls. 'nuff said.

The Award for Best Fighter went to the overall most formidable combatant among all of the entries. Attention was paid to the kinds of weapons and abilities it used, its defenses and its skill in combat situations.

Our top nominees were:

And the winner is:

Duskbyday for Sammandiriel: Angel of Imagination

Surprisingly enough, won this Award due to the sheer power and versatility of its transformations. While starting from a weakling, Duskbyday's abomination can mutate into progressively more powerful and description-defying forms. Multiple powers and the ability to absorb enemies to conform to their worst nightmares makes Sammandiriel a chaotic, unpredictable and overwhelming foe.

One Judge wrote:So many forms. It just keeps going, and seems like it would keep everyone off guard really well.

Another Judge wrote:While I make no attempt to hide the fact that I don't like Sammandiriel's "and the kitchen sink" approach to power, it can't be denied that it's damned formidable.

Other Judges preferred fighters that had more method and grace to their madness. Uriel impressed for its formidable and practical approach to battle. Being a seed-like creature, Sammael naturally possessed incredible powers that would be a threat to all. Azrael gained another mention for being a ruthless ambusher - one that could bring any foe to its knees (or whatever submissive position) with its potent strikes and superior skills.

What a Judge on Sammael wrote:The raw power this thing has just by being a Seed makes it a formidable threat. Its derangement just makes it all the more threatening.

What a Judge who clearly though Azrael was better wrote:AyrYntake's Azrael by a mile. More an assassin than anything else, this angel seems to exist to prove that cowards really do make for the most dangerous enemies.

Next time, we will have our winners for Best Presentation and Best Symbolism! See you in 24 hours!
Last edited by Chowwow on Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:08 am, edited 3 times in total.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:46 am

You've mixed up a couple of Sammael and Sammandiriel statements there. O_o
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Duskbyday
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Duskbyday » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:02 am

Yayy! I won a prize! Well done to Axell as well! Thank you for whoever voted for me!
(Your sig is kinda long. Maybe you could shorten it?)
"Mountain. Heavy are the mountains, something that changes through the ages. Sky. Blue sky. Something visible, something invisible. Sun. Something unique. Water. Something agreeable. Commander Ikari. Flowers. Many of them alike, many of them useless. Sky. Red, red sky. Red color. Red color that I hate. Water flow. Blood. The smell of blood. A woman that does not bleed. Made from the red soil are humans. Made by Man and Woman are humans. Town. Something that humans made. Eva. Something that humans made. Humans are what? Something that God made. Humans are things which humans made. The things I possess are my life and mind. The vessel of a mind. Entry plug, the throne of a soul.

Who is this? This is me. Who am I? What am I? What am I? What am I? What am I?

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:10 pm

"thank you all" :D

grats on the other winners as well

Vegeta 20XX
XX0↊ ɐʇǝƃǝɅ

Re: ADC Awards Week Begins!

•      
  •      

Postby Vegeta 20XX » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:00 pm

Chowwow wrote:And the winner is:

Image Vegeta 20XX for Jamaerah: Angel of Manifestation

The race for this Award was unusually tight this year, with many good runners gunning for this position. Jamaerah narrowly won out because of its interesting ability of augmenting itself by consuming the remains of defeated but greater Angels and absorbing their abilities and its swarming attacks. No such creature seen in Evangelion or in this Contest's history has anything similar (except for one), and while initially weak, is sure to be a silent threat with a great potential of becoming a very formidable force given time.

One Judge wrote:Its hard to really come up with something new and innovative when it comes to angels, or indeed any monster in fiction. There were a lot of backstabbing undead-ish angels in the running this year, but this guy stands out by being the one who reuses and re-incorporates what has come before. Kind of ironic that way.

Another Judge wrote:I can hardly begin to conceive its appearance

FUCK YES
Avatar: Apophis' shifty-looking gaze as he invades the SGC.
Vegeta 20XX: Actually pixelated, and the self proclaimed "King of the screw up". - Fazmotron
The most awesome thing ever. Seriously.
I witnessed a young girl ohhh about 12 years of age or so fall off a snowbank then proceed to say "Fuck you snowhill that hurt" - Dataprime
For those who put things like "Chuckman x Chuckmen" and "Follower of the Chuckman x Chuckman pairing" in their signatures: All you need is fuck.

evilhead008
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby evilhead008 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:56 pm

.. congrats, everyone!

into progressively more powerful and description-defying forms.

lol

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

2nd ADC Awards for Best Presentation and Best Symbolism!

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:45 pm

Here we are at the Third day of Awards Week for the ADC!

We've got for you all some pretty interesting awards: today it's the Awards for Best Presentation and Best Symbolism

The Best Presentation Award went to the Design that was presented in an attractive and enjoyable format. While more dependent on the creativity of the Designer than the strength of the Angel, it was praiseworthy to make several pages of reading enjoyable to go through. Attention was paid to format, grammar, and use of word play, illustrations and the like.

Our top nominees were:

Vegeta 20XX with Jamaerah: Angel of Manifestation

And the winner is:

Image chazthesilencer for Ensuivanel: Angel of meadows

Don't let chaz's avatar's skeptical glare fool you, he won this one with a good following of favorable votes. After finishing with lots of time to spare, his Angel kicked off this Contest with a fiery explosion - followed by a concussive boom that is sure to be felt for a long time in the future. Though clearly a humor entry, his more simplistic and graphical approach to presenting his Angel was a welcome change of pace from the lengthy, dry, text heavy entries of the past. The text was a whimsical read; filled with bit-sized bits of simple, sugary, juicy humor.

His colorful artwork and the design of the Angel added to the appeal and accessibility of the work. But the real dollop of whipped cream and cherry on top of this sundae (sorry, I'm craving ice cream now...) was the comic depicting Ensuivanel's scenario: a meme-ridden, Photoshoped, MSPainted, mess of clip art detailing the Angel's final hours in battle - good stuff. While not unprecedented, chaz's efforts may just have changed the way how Angels should be presented in the future - with lots of comics of Angels wearing silly hats.

One Judge wrote:I'll go with chazthesilencer's comedic submission Ensuivanel. Half of the humor is tied to the presentation, and it works quite well.

Another Judge wrote:Chaz's presentation really brings out the feel of his Angel very effectively. Those illustrations of his really do a wonderful job!

Other entries managed to threaten Ensuivanel's position in this Award - though not much. Axell's Sammael won some grace by being compact and simple to read and Vegeta's Jamaerah managed to be descriptive enough yet accessible enough to replace the need for illustrations. Duskbyday's Sammandiriel's fleet of transformations turned a head or two for his awesome and full-colored array of illustrations, each depicting another one of his bizarre forms. Finally, Azrael gained some footing for AyrYntake's artwork and emotive writing that projected the feel of his Angel to the reader.

What a Judge on Sammael wrote:Sammael's use of spoiler tags to organize sections was something I appreciated... though the mods might not.

What a Judge on Azrael wrote:The picture was eye-catching, captured all of the feel of the Angel, and the description was exactly what was needed, no more, no less, all the while adding a nice atmosphere.

What a Judge on Jamaerah wrote:I felt he got the point of his Angel across well, and he didn't even need the pictures, making it a very strong entry in a competition where pictures *are* worth a thousand words.

The Award for Best Symbolism went to the Angel that made use of its title as an Angel. The use of symbolism (religious or otherwise) would serve to enhance the feel, characterization, and quality of the Design. Attention was paid to the descriptions of it and how it related to its intended or perceived symbolic appeal.

Our top nominees were:

And the winner is:

Image AyrYntake for Azrael: Angel of Death

AyrYntake's creation was simply a (floating?) symbol: fusing traditional western concepts with Angelic features to form the venerable Angel of Death. Carrying an ominous hourglass filled with the immortal souls of the fallen in one hand, and a blade meant to slay foes with a single swipe in the other, Azrael is an amalgam of all things we associate with the grim reaper and its incarnations. While perhaps so symbolic to the point of being cliché, seeing this hooded figure alone should be a sign to all that their end has come.

One Judge wrote:Azrael deserves this one as well, I think. Although naturally pulled right out of the bible (hey, its NGE, eh?) he pulls it off quite well. I especially like the fact that the symbols actually DO something as part of the design, rather than being just eye candy.

Another Judge wrote:Azrael is top to bottom a solid attempt to capture the flavor of it's namesake, and the further explanation of it's odd 'tool attachments' demonstrates this wonderfully... even though it's really, really weird.

(Adding...)

As a side note, I don't think many of the other entries understood that slapping an existing icon on an angel like some sort of merit badge is not actually symbolic.

Our other entrants were faced with conflicting feelings in their selection. While Sammael's use of Arthurian symbols was new and revolutionary - to the point where it may not have fit the theme of the rest of the Angels. I'm not sure if that was a good excuse, but what can you do? Ialdapoath by pat borrowed heavily from its source material to become the embodiment of a terrifyingly disfigured creature, but seemed to lack substance of its own. Sammandiriel was a strong contender, because of Duskbyday's heavy use of Christian symbols in each of the Angel's many forms. There was a lot one could find by looking - so much that they seemed to be more like body accessories for the Angel than mere coincidences or clues to a deeper past.

What a Judge on Sammael wrote:The symbolism was picked to counter Lilith, and it adds some new stuff (the Camelot bits), to round it all out.

However, another wrote:Sammael, who is very heavily laden with symbolism, loses out by a very small margin because of the runes that store his soul- something about the concept doesn't seem to "synch" with the rest.

What a Judge on Sammandiriel wrote:There's lots of this stuff in here to notice, and while some might call it cluttered, I think it fits the hectic feel this Angel gives me.

What a Judge on Ialdapoath wrote:Ialdapoath also does an excellent job of reworking the source material to suit his needs.

And yet another wrote:Ialdabaoth, who has a name with a history unlike anything else, somehow doesn't seem to live up to it.

Next time, we will have our winners for Best Scenario and Quirkiest Design! Back in a day!
Last edited by Chowwow on Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:19 am, edited 3 times in total.

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:52 am

*crosses fingers*

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

2nd ADC Awards for Best Scenario and Most Quirky!

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:04 pm

Today is the fourth day of Awards Week for the ADC!

Right now we have the Awards for Best Scenario and Most Quirky

The Best Scenario Award was given in recognition of an Angel with the most interesting encounter, setting and/or battle. Attention was given to the Designer's background descriptions concerning the origins of the Angel, introduction into the NGE universe, interactions with the NGE cast and specific challenges in combat (use of abilities, situations, etc).

Our top nominees were:

And the winner is:

Image Axell for Sammael: Angel of Death

The first winner of this new Award may not have been the best writer around (at least, by his own admission) but the backstory of the Angel and the situations he had to face upon making it planetside resonated with the Judges as the one Angel with the most detailed and dramatic encounter. Sammael, a seemingly insignificant figure, is revealed to be a tortured soul who is at least partially responsible for the chaos being wrought on Earth and harboring an obsessive kinship with the most important Angelic figures in the story, Lilith. Tracking down Lilith to assuage his loneliness, he causes further havoc before coming to realize the present fate of his would-be companion. His past and ancient origins leave many questions that begged to be asked - not least of all how he managed to make contact with Lilith from the vastness of space. No other Angel here has made a serious attempt at a tie-in to the story at this level.

One Judge wrote:[A]lthough the story seems to me to be rather heavy handed, the potential Rei relationship is nevertheless interesting.

Another Judge wrote:Sammael is all over this one... the actual creature itself I find rather boring, but the story and situation are well developed around it, and including a short fanfic episode instead of just hinting around it seals this one for me.

While Sammael won this Award by near domination, others were at least given some consideration. Ialdaboth was mentioned by one for his potential to bring out mixed emotions by the Eva cast with his intimidating yet feeble design - perhaps being the first ever Angel to evoke sympathy. Azrael was given a vote for his unique goal of pure death and destruction and his ruthless, calculating disposition. Further, the reasons for his quest leaves a mystery for all to wonder about.

What a Judge on Azrael wrote:He knows what the Evas can do, he's coming for a different reason than the other series Angels, and he has an entirely different modus operandi. This needs a doujin.

What a Judge on Ialdaboth wrote:The "moral" of the story alone brings to mind all sorts of exciting possibilities, without spelling anything out. You get to wonder what would happen yourself, and know that the ending would be the kids figuring out that they're not in so much danger, and winning.

The Most Quirky Award went out to the Design that was found to be the most endearing, eccentric, and/or interestingly odd.

Our top nominees were:

And the winner is:

Image chazthesilencer for Ensuivanel: Angel of meadows

The venerable Ensuivanel won this Award by absolute domination of all votes: from day one, this Award could not have gone to anyone else. While in the form of a simple blob of flesh, the Angel's features combined with chaz's eccentric illustrations and brilliant comics created a refreshingly colorful entry among the cowardly, murderous monstrosities that dominated the rest of the Contest. The fact that the Angel does not seem that threatening served to add to his charm: how could such a thing possibly hurt anything?! Further adding to his charm was chaz's special Comics of Pain and Loathing: expanding upon the creature's design and personality. Somehow, with luck, I don't see it dying off like more belligerent Angels: passing by every major engagement and surviving, like the Johnny Sasaki of Angels but with more dignity. Long live Ensuivanel!

One Judge wrote:Chaz's design seems like an excellent substitute for Leliel in my opinion, and its almost comical appearance belies considerable strength- points which I will be returning to later. What really stands out is how the Angel really fits the image of a giant cow/slug/ameoba hybrid dolefully grazing its way through Tokyo-3. Those big, sad-looking eye markings give it added bonus points from me, because those really count towards the impression it gives. In a contest characterized by powerful, creepy, or majestic Angels, Chaz's design stands out as one that makes good-natured fun of itself and every other entry.

Another Judge wrote:Ensuivanel was purpose-built for this award, and well built at that.

And Another Judge wrote:You know this couldn't go to anyone but chazthesilencer's Ensuivanel. Its a humor submission, and it succeeds at this marvelously.

And Yet Another Judge wrote:Do I even need one [reason] here? It's like an Angelic Jell-O of DOOM.

Ensuivanel wiped-out the competition for the most part. Ialdaboath earned an honorable mention for being so grotesquely designed that it bore more resemblance to a Silent Hill monster than an Angel of doom. Uriel was also found to be quirky for his interesting behavior (perhaps stemming from its two heads).

What a Judge on Ialdapoath wrote:Ialdaboath's funky face-in-my-own-mouth deal was just plain weird, and the strangely placed eye in it's one hand's palm clinched it for me.

What a Judge on Uriel wrote:A bipolar angel. I'd laugh, but I'm also afraid of it killing me.

For the last day, I will present the final Award for Best In Contest! It was a really tight race for this Award! Some may or may not be surprised by this result!
Last edited by Chowwow on Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:07 am, edited 4 times in total.

Return to “Fan Works”