Looking to recreate the original Death.

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

M2Dane
Adam

Looking to recreate the original Death.

•      
  •      

Postby M2Dane » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:58 pm

Since the original version of Death was never released in the US I would like to recreate it by reinserting the new DC footage into the Death(true)^2 Renewal release, but unfortunately I have no idea what the footage removed Death was, since the DC use a lot more reworked footage instead of just the Death footage (unless I'm reading it wrong). So I was wondering if anybody had a list of the new scenes or if anybody knew where I could find the original version of Death that was released with Rebirth in Japan?

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:20 pm

even WITH the additional footage added in, it's just a clip show. It's not really an essential part of Evangelion and Manga Entertainment trying to push the DVD sales is the only thing keeping it from dying off completely.

As I've pointed out repeatedly, I know multiple people who have flatly told me they didn't watch End of Eva because they didn't "have time to watch the Eva movies" (as if they're Inuyasha movies or something) not realizing that there's basically only one Evangelion movie, End of Eva
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

M2Dane
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby M2Dane » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:32 pm

Oh, I'm fully aware of that, I really want to do it for my own satisfaction. I am not one who doesn't have time to watch "the Eva movies." I'm just uncertain as to what exactly the new footage is, and what constitutes new footage, is it the reworked scenes or just footage not originally in the OA version, so I guess if anybody can answer that question I can dig into my dvds and find them myself.

Zeak
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Zeak » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:10 am

Have a look at groundwork Vol3 and Movie1. There is also a few dvds with footage on them from some of the games that fits some of the images but they were not ever used in the show. I look forward to seeing how this turns out.
Writer and Lead animator of Cold Heart
webpage

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:57 am

The original version of DEATH was only released in Japanese theaters. The only records I have handy of what was cut or otherwise changed are the Newtype filmbook, which only really provides the broadest of specifications, and some notes on music cues in the S2 Works booklet.

I need some sleep before I can do any scanning and digging, but there's a head's-up at least. Wouldn't hurt to have a page describing known changes between the three versions of DEATH on that ever-neglected Wiki...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:53 pm

M2Dane wrote:Oh, I'm fully aware of that, I really want to do it for my own satisfaction. I am not one who doesn't have time to watch "the Eva movies." I'm just uncertain as to what exactly the new footage is, and what constitutes new footage, is it the reworked scenes or just footage not originally in the OA version, so I guess if anybody can answer that question I can dig into my dvds and find them myself.

oh if you're just being obsessive about a certain release form for the sake of itself, yeah okay. I mean I wouldn't, but I see what you mean.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

M2Dane
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby M2Dane » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:05 pm

Yeah, I wanted it for my own collection, I was just unclear on what versions of Death had been released. I guess I'm a little surprised that it was never actually released in Japan outside of theaters, since they didn't do (true)^2 until 2003 for the Renewal dvd set and (true) was only released on WOWOW in Japan. I know somebody who "claims" to have (true) but he's being a dick about letting me get a copy of it.

I have a bad habit of being extremely compulsive and I have to get my hands on everything available for a series, so I have a tendency to burn through a ton of money. :nyao:

The only thing it really means is I can never go to Vegas. :thumbsup:

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:51 pm

M2Dane wrote:since they didn't do (true)^2 until 2003 for the Renewal dvd set

DEATH(TRUE)^2 was released on laser disc back in 1998.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

M2Dane
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby M2Dane » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:15 pm

Ah, my mistake, I read somewhere that they did it specifically for the Renewal set.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:41 pm

Brendan of Eva Otaku once mentioned that he had The original two edits of Death on VHS. Or maybe my memory is lapsing.

He's got at least one of them, maybe just Death True.

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:38 pm

Reichu wrote:
M2Dane wrote:since they didn't do (true)^2 until 2003 for the Renewal dvd set

DEATH(TRUE)^2 was released on laser disc back in 1998.

it says something about the time span we're dealing with when "Laser Discs" was once a viable release format (seriously, it initially took me a while to figure out what "VHS *or* LD" was referring to)
Who is "Codename V"?....

M2Dane
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby M2Dane » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:57 pm

This is the Death Film Book you were referring to right?
Last edited by M2Dane on Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zeak
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Zeak » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:44 am

Thats interesting.
Reichu wrote:I need some sleep before I can do any scanning and digging, but there's a head's-up at least. Wouldn't hurt to have a page describing known changes between the three versions of DEATH on that ever-neglected Wiki...

So is this version of Death easier to understand than the other 2? I haven’t really looked into it too much. To describe what I mean. Are you still left banging your head against a table or shouting, “RECAP” at the end?
webpage

M2Dane
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby M2Dane » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:55 am

No it's no more understandable, but Death originally had new footage in it that was meant for the NPC episodes, theatrically they inserted them into Death, but for the video release they removed them, except the scene with Adam in Gendou.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:34 am

Yes, that's the cover. (But that URL looks hotlinked to me...)

The cut of Gendo with Adam is hardly the only "director's cut"-type footage left in TRUE^2. More prominent examples include the camera footage from the UN Antarctic base and Fuyutsuki & Yui's chat at the Ashinoko levee, but you'll find the stuff scattered throughout.

Going by the DEATH film book, what was cut out is an Asuka flashback/"mind rape" section between Kaji's death and Kaworu's appearance, including footage such as the monologue at the bathtub, Asuka shoving her boobs in Kaji's face, and "Who are you?" / "No! This isn't me!" scene. The only other difference I've been able to detect from the filmbook is that the shot of Misato flashed during Kensuke's chat with Shinji was redone for TRUE or TRUE^2.

Yeah, I know, scans. :p
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Zeak
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Zeak » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:38 am

Now that you mention it there is some extra shots of the Antarctic base in the Shinji Ikari Raising Project game. Thay look pritty lagit. Ill have to reinstall it when I find space and do some screens
webpage

M2Dane
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby M2Dane » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:51 pm

I was just checking on the cover, I found it on ebay for 3 bucks, so I got it ordered. It should hopefully be here before christmas, and then on wednesday I'll order the rest of the film books to satisfy my obsessive collector hidden within me.

Zeak
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Zeak » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:17 pm

M2Dane wrote:I was just checking on the cover, I found it on ebay for 3 bucks, so I got it ordered. It should hopefully be here before christmas, and then on wednesday I'll order the rest of the film books to satisfy my obsessive collector hidden within me.

Are you as obsessive as me?
webpage

M2Dane
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby M2Dane » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:57 pm

It depends, how obsessive are you?

Zeak
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Zeak » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:54 am

Please take in mine that this is an old thread. http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4747

BOT
Reichu Is the filmbook worth having? Or is it just a bunch of images that can be found elseware?
webpage

Return to “Fan Works”