(Third Annual) Lilim Design Contest! (Afterthoughts)

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:52 am

This concludes all of our Presentations for this year's LDC. That was fast! I suppose now is time as any to start submitting reviews of this stuff. I'll start with the most recent for today.

View Original PostStryker wrote:I like Vlore. Pretty awesome. Pretty sweet.

Aside from the fact that reading tehprognoob's entry prompted an unscheduled imoto-chan bonding time in my household (much to her chagrin), I appreciated how gripping his entry was. The serenity and beauty of his illustrations really belie the true brutality and ugliness swimming beneath the surface of the Character. Though I would be wary of invoking the rape as drama trope in fiction, it really does add a darker edge to the story. To be honest, I skipped over most of the story section, reading the beginning and ending and skimming the rest. I'm starting to regret giving the greenlight to tehprognoob for writing this! As I have said to Bobbq years before, if you can make the audience puke in grief, you've got them. Being part one of a multi-part series of entries spread across these Contests, I'm curious as to how all of these threads tie together and what happens at the absolute end.

While we are all waiting, I'd like to hear what our authors think of each other's work; though I would suggest we keep our afterthoughts of our own projects to ourselves until Judgment week.

Archaiel
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Archaiel » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:29 am

^ Tehprognoob's entry was gripping however I am inclined to agree with you Chow. The substance of Vlore's backstory is just an area you do not tread into lightly nor can you - if it's decided - do it half-assed. While trafficking pre pubescent girls may be a realistic scenario in/for that region of the world, it's a big risk to execute.
I do feel the need to say that Tehprognoob did a remarkable job with the amount of explicit graphic detail; not too much nor is there too little. Only a select few spots could be cut back (it's a 12-14 year old girl we're talking about) but overall it is "tastefully" dirty, which to me is a applause worthy accomplishment as A LOT of people here would XXXXXXXXX rate it.

I gotta go back and read Holy Diver's entry more in-depth for I do not feel I can constructively comment on it a the moment. (I'll update this post)
Avatar: Eva Unit 6.66 LCFL (My original design)

Participated in:
2011 - LDC & EvADC

Current Eva Projects:
-Tweaking Eva 6.66
-Weaving a Continuity

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:24 am

View Original PostArchaiel wrote:I gotta go back and read Holy Diver's entry more in-depth for I do not feel I can constructively comment on it a the moment.

I am lovin' Holy Diver's take on an Evangelion Osama bin Laden. While the Character himself was quite simple, the background that was introduced to us was rich; revealing a snippet of the world's political and economic situation after Second Impact. I also loved the style of the writing; it had a few grammar errors, but it was filled with the kind of insight and callousness that a biography about a terrorist fighting a world conspiracy needs. While nothing gut-retching, it feels very real and reveals a lot more than what it actually does.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:09 am

I can't really comment without giving away how I voted and ruining the surprise, but I will say that I found something to enjoy in all of them. Just a shame so few members had the guts to give this division a shot this year. Good work!
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Great Genius Shinji-Sama
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Great Genius Shinji-Sama » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:46 am

I was short on inspiration and had my attention divided onto several other internet and rl things. I might try working on some before next year. Maybe not, who knows? :shrug:

I might possibly try the Eva/Angel Design instead; though I sux at drawing mechs :ehh:
Avatar: Utena and Anthy hawtness <3
-----------------------------------------------------------
XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG: ShinjiSama01
http://shinjisama.wordpress.com/ - Blog
http://otakuno1.deviantart.com/ - Deviant account

Holy Diver
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Holy Diver » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:04 pm

View Original PostChowwow wrote:I am lovin' Holy Diver's take on an Evangelion Osama bin Laden. While the Character himself was quite simple, the background that was introduced to us was rich; revealing a snippet of the world's political and economic situation after Second Impact. I also loved the style of the writing; it had a few grammar errors, but it was filled with the kind of insight and callousness that a biography about a terrorist fighting a world conspiracy needs. While nothing gut-retching, it feels very real and reveals a lot more than what it actually does.

I'm very thankful for your praise Chowwow! One of the major things that attracts me to Eva is the unique political situation caused by Second Impact and the interactions between major powers like Seele and Nerv. It's something that I like to explore in-depth in these competitions. That said, I do want to do more of a character-driven piece next time, focusing on how a normal person, without the benefits of a terrorist army or angelic connections, deals with the situation.

And a round of congratulations to my 2 fellow competitors. Both of you did a great and detailed job on your presentations.
Deus Io Vult! (God wills it!)
"Get your ass in gear!" Asuka

"Catdog has an S2 engine in his stomach. He does not need to eat, and whatever he does eat is reacted with antimatter to provide endless energy." Ruthlessly stolen from anon.

Archaiel
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Archaiel » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:20 pm

View Original PostHoly Diver wrote:And a round of congratulations to my 2 fellow competitors. Both of you did a great and detailed job on your presentations.

Thank You! :] I must agree, though the entries were few the quality of the work was exceptional. :clap:

Participated in:
2011 - LDC & EvADC

Current Eva Projects:
-Tweaking Eva 6.66
-Weaving a Continuity

Archaiel
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Archaiel » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:23 pm

View Original PostGreat Genius Shinji-Sama wrote:I might possibly try the Eva/Angel Design instead; though I sux at drawing mechs :ehh:

Well, the great thing about an Eva is that they are very much like drawing people. Unless you go the technical route of Eva 05 there wont be much that is reminiscent of a mech :]

Participated in:
2011 - LDC & EvADC

Current Eva Projects:
-Tweaking Eva 6.66
-Weaving a Continuity

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:43 am

I've been busy trying to put my driveway back together after years of neglect, and the Awards I have made do not look quite that good yet, so please hold while I get my shit back together to properly start the Awards Ceremony. Stay tuned.

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

3rd LDC Awards: Badass, Psycho, and Depressive

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:49 pm

I return from a week of absence with all of your Awards. Let's have a round of applause for our winners (at the end)!

Lilim Design Contest Awards Week

This year's entrants were:

And our sole Judge was NemZ.

Today's presentation consists of all of the Awards related to the major qualities and characterizations of our Emtries. These include the Awards for the Most Badass, Psycho, and Depressive Characters.

The Award for Most Badass Character went to the one who proved him/herself as the toughest by demonstrating skills, strengths, and special techniques which enabled him/her to face incredible odds and return - with most of their body parts intact at least.

Our Winner is:
Image Holy Diver for Abdul-Aziz

Our Judge wrote:Kaiten talks a good game, but doesn't actually DO anything. Abdul on the other hand definitely left a mark.

The Award for Most Psycho Character went to the one who displayed the greatest, most violently psychotic tendencies or expressed stress in the most disturbing or non-conventional ways. Attention was paid to Character personality descriptions and past actions.

Our Winner is:

Image Archaiel for Kaiten Layne Raenifv

Our Judge wrote:Not that we see any evidence of this of course, but the text certainly wants to give the impression that he's on the edge of completely losing it.

The Award for Most Depressive Character went to the one who was the most emotionally scarred and expressed this in a ways that were non-aggressive against others (but possibly suicidal). Attention was given to Character personality descriptions and past actions.

Our Winner is:

Our Great and Powerful Judge wrote:He used his depression to fuel his desires, but ultimately fell to it all the same. All the entries have some claim here, though the others seem to deal with it better.

And that's all we have for today! Tune in tomorrow when we award the more frivolous characterization Awards: most Cutest, best Fanservice, and Quirkiest!

Holy Diver
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Holy Diver » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:05 pm

Aww yeah! Thank you very much for the awards. It was an honor and a pleasure to participate in this contest with my fellow Evageeks.
Deus Io Vult! (God wills it!)
"Get your ass in gear!" Asuka

"Catdog has an S2 engine in his stomach. He does not need to eat, and whatever he does eat is reacted with antimatter to provide endless energy." Ruthlessly stolen from anon.

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

3rd LDC Awards: Cutest, Fanservice, and Quirkiest

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:13 am

View Original PostHoly Diver wrote:Aww yeah! Thank you very much for the awards. It was an honor and a pleasure to participate in this contest with my fellow Evageeks.

Wait for a bit and I'll edit the previous post with all of my thoughts on each Award...

Today, I bring you all of the Awards related to the minor qualities and characterizations of our Entries: the Awards for the Cutest, best Fanservice, and Quirkiest!

The prerequisites for winning the Award for Cutest Character were... to be cute; a fact made evident either from a Character's illustrations or actions as described in text.

Our Winner is:

Image tehprognoob for Vlore Chani

Our Judge wrote:You know, in that sad-cute sort of way that Rei fans dig. Ahem.

The Award for Best Fanservice went to the one voted most likely to follow through on Misato’s promises of eye candy after every preview of NGE. Attention was paid to Character descriptions, etc.

Our Winner is:

Our Judge wrote:Successful traps should be worth something, I suppose.

Further He wrote:Valore's story was anti-service at it's finest and I won't ruin it by giving her this award.

The Award for Quirkiest Character was awarded to the one who just seem endearing and interesting and/or peculiar, etc. Character histories and personality descriptions played roles in choosing a winner.

Our Winner is:

Our Judge wrote:The whole genius family angle has a lot of quirk potential, which is more than I can say for the other much more serious entries.

Come back tomorrow when we award the plot-related Awards: Best Death, Best Job, and Worst Job!

tehprognoob
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby tehprognoob » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:34 am

It's true; Vlore was pure anti-fanservice X_0

Archaiel
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Archaiel » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:15 pm

Omigawd! Awards! Wooo! Arigatou Gozaimasu Yo! (I realize the yo was unecessary but eh) Wow... I have no idea how I got fanservice.... successful traps? :chinscratch:

I agree Holy Diver, it was an incredible pleasure to participate in this with fellow Evageeks :asuka_thumbsup: I am definitely returning next year!

:rei_hissyfit: Everyone deserves a Rei

Participated in:
2011 - LDC & EvADC

Current Eva Projects:
-Tweaking Eva 6.66
-Weaving a Continuity

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:39 pm

View Original PostArchaiel wrote:Wow... I have no idea how I got fanservice.... successful traps? :chinscratch:

Yep, exactly. Not my thing, but I know there are plenty of folks around here who appreciate androgyny for one reason or another so that's a perfectly valid form of fanservice.
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

Best/Worst Job, Presentation, Design, Story, Best in Contest

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:55 am

I apologize with the lateness of this post and respond with our remaining Awards for the Third LDC!

These Awards designated for the third day of Awards focus on defining characteristics of an Entry's narrative and the ultimate purpose of that Character's existence in the larger canon of NGE's plot.

The Award for Best Death was rewarded to the Character whose fate lead to the most interesting, gruesome or memorable death in the Contest.

Our Winner is:

None.

Yeah, I know this one was anti-climactic. And to think I spent all that trouble putting together the Award! This feeling also about sums up our feelings for the deaths of this year; while we clearly had some deaths (unlike the sparse choices we had last year we did this) said deaths seemed kinda cheap and/or beyond the scope of this Contest. I'd like for Abdul's death expanded a bit; his was a death that I felt was not up to the build-up and history his profile had set up. Those who would like a more proper conclusion to Vlore's story ought to check out the related entries in the EvADC - though those bits are exempt from this Contest.

Our Judge about Holy Diver's Entry wrote:Abdul-Aziz's death really didn't sit well with me... I mean what did he really expect to happen by pissing on Seele's boots? Of course they were eventually going to bring the fight to him. Killing yourself at the moment of realization that you should have had a long time ago isn't a good death, though it is a very human sort of failing.

Our Judge about tehprognoob's Entry wrote:Vlore also died and apparently in a much better fashion, but since there's almost no detail put into her last stand within this entry I can't say she really earned the aware either.

The Award for Best Job was presented to the Character with the most interesting occupation. Back history and personal descriptions were key to earning a nomination for this.

Our Winner is:

Kaiten's role is more than a simple addition; his being provides some explanation on the jump in technology between the "classic" Eva models and the "Mark" models which are making their appearance in the latter Rebuild films. This is a very fascinating detail, giving us an avenue in which we can use to figure out just what makes the "Mark" series so special. His involvement also allows him to basically hijack the whole shebang for his own shifty purposes. While we probably would have to wait until the last Rebuild movie has been released to get better ideas, I'd like to see this aspect of Kaiten's background to progress.

Our Judge of Awarding wrote:Being Seele's genius designer golden boy has to be a pretty sweet deal, all things considered.

The Award for Worst Job went to the one whose job was a significant contributor to his/her distress, misfortune and misery. Eligibility determination was from the history and personal descriptions of the Character.

Our Winner is:

We get Eva pilots all the time here. Everyone wants to make a pilot. Now how many of those pilots got sold off and used in a child brothel prior to their conscription? While not explicitly part of her job profile, poor Vlore's previous role has clearly had detrimental effects on her life, her affect and attitudes, and even the atmosphere she generates from her illustrations. I don't think any Character this year (or in the history of the Contest) has had such a horrifying role. Fled underground after your country had been invaded and forced to organize terrorists to commit petty acts of violence against your would-be overlords? Please... at least you got to carry a gun whenever you wanted.

Our Judge wrote:Seriously, no contest.

These last few Awards are the game winners: the look, feel and atmosphere of each Entry was placed under stringent scrutiny. Here, we sort out the best characters of our Contest to find out which ones are closest to making prime time with the greater universe of NGE fandom.

The Award for Best Presentation was rewarded to the Character that was presented in an attractive and enjoyable way. Attention was paid to format, grammar, use of word play, illustrations and the like.

Our Winner is:

The best Presentations are those that capture your attention and hold it captive for as long as it pleases; evoking deep emotions or sparking the imagination. Vlore's entry will not be resonating in this fellow's mind too much - because I skimmed over the details of most if it and got the gist of it all. Memories of most of Vlore's harrowing entry have instead been replaced by those of Chowwow-imoto (whatever you weeaboos call them) giving me weird looks and demanding that I leave her room. All other aspects, however, are quite notable; beguiling illustrations depicting a classy-yet-haunted girl and writing which spins a gripping narrative of the mind of said girl. Powerful stuff.

I felt that an honorable mention should have gone out to Holy Diver's Abdul; while the profile was devoid of illustrations, it's use of formatting and narrative pacing made the read a brisk, fun, and detailed ride.

Archiel's entry should not be forgotten; a highly detailed illustration of a sullen young man with a competently done profile, followed by a short scene written script style. This little scene was able to touch on the humanity of the Character which was glossed over in the preceding sections.

Our Judge on Vlore wrote:Nice art with multiple pics and a daring but well-delivered bit of fiction.

The Award for Best Design was presented to the Character that was the most interesting or attractive psychical design. Attention was paid to illustrations and/or detailed text descriptions of the Character.

Our Winner is:

Our Judge on Vlore wrote:The art here is very effective in reflecting her withdrawn, troubled personality.

Our Judge on Kaiten wrote:Kaiten's art doesn't quite live up to the description... a bit too obviously male.

The Award for Best Story was rewarded to the Character with the most engrossing, interesting, or memorable story.

Our Winner is:

Our Judge said it best when he wrote:Abdul's story covers a lot more ground but not without problems. His death seemed sort of hollow to me (what did he think was going to happen?) and I think it would have been a much ballsier choice to remove Belial's influence, making him a terrorist for his own personal reasons rather than being manipulated into the role. Valore's harrowing tale and the gripping manner in which it is delivered makes this a very close contest, but Abdul's does a much better job of offering something that feels complete.

The winner for Best in Contest was given to the Character who was the best designed and well-rounded individual in the entire Contest. Everything from story, presentation, illustrations, etc were weighed together to find the ultimate winner.

Our Winner is:

Our Judge wrote:All three entries are memorable in their own ways but I think Valore does the best job when considering the contest as a whole.

... In the end I think it has to be decided by the ballsiness of the authors, an area where Valore's bluntly affected descriptions of sex slavery beats out Abdul's terrorism because of angelic deception. Both are victims, but I feel that a victim of her fellow humans who ends up dying to protect them is a much more praiseworthy character than a victim of manipulation who gives up the moment it is time to face up to the obvious results of his actions.

Sheesh, turns out today was a big win day for tehprognoob! However, I have much love for all of our entries. I guess with fewer Characters around, the more love and effort we have for them, eh? Stay with us, as we still have the EvADC to finish. Along with the Awards for those entries, we will be showing our winner for Designer of the Year and Winner of Most Awards of 2011. Keep up!

tehprognoob
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby tehprognoob » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:03 am

Oh, lol, nice sweep-up X_X I actually didn't expect to win so many. Thanks.
Knew that the storyline would work!

Archaiel
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Archaiel » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:21 pm

Dayum.... no need for a janitor, Tehprognoob mopped the sh1t out of this place o.O. Congrats by the way :D

Hmmm, I kind of wish that I put more effort into Kaitens picture :/ Can I draw another one, not as a part of my entry, but as a fun thing to do? :3 ...ahem...I got to represent the fan-service yo!

Aaaaaaand would this be an appropriate time for an afterword?

Participated in:
2011 - LDC & EvADC

Current Eva Projects:
-Tweaking Eva 6.66
-Weaving a Continuity

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:12 pm

View Original PostArchaiel wrote:Aaaaaaand would this be an appropriate time for an afterword?

Of course it is, no need to ask! While we wait for the Awards for the EvADC, now is a good time for our participants to post their Afterthoughts for this Contest.

As for me, as soon as I get my ass in gear, I'll try to edit the Awards entries with more of my mini-reviews. Further, I'd like to discuss the future of this Contest and what we can do to make things better.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:12 pm

I think the biggest change that should happen is to break these contests back up into 3 separate events 4 months apart. Doing it all at once is an unreasonable strain to put on yourself, judges, and potential contestants.

Return to “Fan Works”