(Second) Evas vs. Angels Design Contest! (Afterthoughts)

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

tehprognoob
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby tehprognoob » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:48 am

another delay??

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:11 am

Cutting off the LDC, why? Is it IRL trouble, or merely the trouble of organizing these contests? If it's simply because it's late, I object.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:46 am

What 'current conditions' are we talking about? IRL problems? Unreliability of contestants and/or judges? Time management issues? Some sort of crazy fight going on amongst the judges?

I really hope you'll reconsider on the LDC.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Formless One
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Formless One » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:58 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Some sort of crazy fight going on amongst the judges?

That ain't the problem, trust me. A part of me almost wishes it were, but the truth is far more boring.
[/opinion]
[size=75]My (fan-)fiction [color=blue]

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:49 am

View Original PostFormless One wrote:That ain't the problem, trust me. A part of me almost wishes it were, but the truth is far more boring.

I could elaborate exactly on what's going on here, but that would sound an awful lot like whining. This is the EvADC thread, not the Chowwow Fuck My Life Thread.

I'm waiting on a few more Judges to get their acts in gear, but honestly they are not that big of an issue; they just need some time. However, it is something I'd like to discuss in the Afterthoughts period.

By "current conditions", I mean that personal responsibilities have made it so that organizing the Contests - much less making Awards and submitting my own entry - is taking a lot more time and effort to put together. This inability on my part to keep up with this work on time is ignoble and unbecoming of my position. I've got other plans which I would like to bring to bear soon, but I can barely keep these Contests of the damn ground. The frustration keeps compounding on itself, and I've been snapping at those who get in my way a lot lately. Damn, that's already a lot of whining.

I also feel that the LDC is the less loved of the Contests and maybe more trouble than it's worth to keep up. However, if demand is high enough, I would be able to pull a few hairs, cut off a few limbs, and push another one out and complain a lot less while doing so. I suppose it would not be so bad to do it.

Until then, it's all a matter of getting things in before deadlines. Back to work...

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:06 am

If it's personal issues, I would suggest that you decide what you think is best. No forcing you.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

AyrYntake
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby AyrYntake » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:52 pm

It's been an age since we last heard from Chowwow. Anyone beginning to feel concern for his personal wellbeing?
Cirrus, Socrates, particle, decibel, hurricane, dolphin, tulip

tehprognoob
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby tehprognoob » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:02 pm

*Looks around nervously*
What? You guys caught me already?
*Drops a weighted body bag from a helicopter over the [s]Pacific Rift[/s] Marina Trench*
Last edited by tehprognoob on Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:38 pm

View Original PostAyrYntake wrote:It's been an age since we last heard from Chowwow. Anyone beginning to feel concern for his personal wellbeing?

Yeah, I've been waffling between wanting to know what's up and not wanting to be the impatient guy who asks first.
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:52 am

^ Same here. I've no idea if he's being held up by something serious or something mundane (such as extra med school work or a busted internet connection).

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:32 am

wow. it's been quite a while. Chowwow, whatever the hell happened or is happening, I want to say that whatever you are going through, you bury it before you meet back up with us. I don't want to see you with unfinished business, alright?

It would be nice to tell us what has held you up for so long, at least it would get it off your back on onto our collective backs, if nothing else. But if you can't say anything, just come back when you're ready. Unless you're in the...what is a Pacific Rift? You mean the Marina Trench?
Rei: I'm not your puppet.

The Allied States of Syraneen

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:08 pm

We all love Chow, and Chow loves us. We can wait.

Nice try Prognoob, but that's not Kaji's body you're dumping, there will be consequences for this crime.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

tehprognoob
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby tehprognoob » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:09 pm

Ah. Mistake fix'd. Marina Trench it is :D
And no...that's NOT Kaji's body...it's...a year's worth of lint.
*Looks into a washing machine-free house.*
Yea. LINT >_<.

AyrYntake
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby AyrYntake » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:40 am

Well, I can at least say with confidence that after my last post he PM'ed me (not sure about you guys) checking my choices for the judging. That way at least I get the feeling he hasn't been seriously ill or anything.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:58 am

good to hear

AyrYntake
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby AyrYntake » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:36 am

Rest assured guys! According to a PM I've just received, the final awards are on their way soon!
...I seem to be Chowwow's acting PR manager or something.
That said he does seem to be quite busy (he mentioned that he didn't have much time in the message). Best wishes for everything, Chowwow, and don't let the contest get in the way of your work.

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

Shaitan: Angel of Despair

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:33 am

I'm here to finally finish things off for this Contest. Here I present to you an idea that has been in several years in the making, but presented in incomplete form. One day, I hope to finish it and complete my vision for this creature.

Image Chowwow

Chowwow wrote:Shaitan: The Angel of Despair.
Length: 400 meters
Wingspan: 800 meters
Class: S
Type: Low-Altitude Ariel Bomber, Flying Mass-Extinction Event

References:
Inspired by the final boss of the game Panzer Dragoon II Zwei called the Guardian Dragon:
Fig. 1: Artist's rendition of the Guardian Dragon

Seen here kicking serious ass.

His name comes from the Islamic tale and pronunciation of Satan. According to the tale, after Iblis was cast out of Eden, he was henceforth given the name “Shaitan” and vowed to send mankind astray from God.
Further research seems to imply that “Iblis” would have been a more fitting name for this Angel, but that name has already been taken and it is a matter of debate for another time.

The most significant inspiration comes from an internet user of whom I came to know impersonally. An unhinged, unabashed misanthrope, he has drawn the ire and fascination of many other individuals attempting to understand him.

Overview: Under development for about two years, this Angel has undergone as many revisions as the Protoss Mothership from Starcraft II. His most important attributes are his personality and his ability to inflict destruction never before seen in NGE.

Physical Description:
Overall, Shaitan is a fearsome, loathsome, floating monolith of death and pain. What he lacks in grace he makes up for in monstrous size and features.

Shaitan’s dark blue, coarse and leathery skin interspaces the armor plates and lie over his joints; tough and somewhat flexible. He is also clad in immensely thick, black armor over his many immovable surfaces; so pitch black, it seems to drain light away from the surrounding environment. The polished and glossy armor juxtaposes with his dull, rough skin, like black obsidian stone still embedded in the volcanic rock from which it was formed.

Shaitan comes in one of two configurations; forms which he assumes in various situations.

Dormant Configuration:
In this form, the angel’s extremities are folded and tucked in; his head and limbs retracted into its main body. When withdrawn, the head appears well–hidden and blended in with the main body; appearing as though the angel’s “torso” was his head. Raised armor plates over Shaitan’s backside, followed by a long crease over the belly, create the impression of a face consisting of a huge “forehead” and a closed, lower jaw. Four, large, red eye spots in staggered arraignment over the frontal armor slabs complete the illusion that one is seeing his face when his head is retracted.

It is in this form that Shaitan primarily spends his time in; resembling a mass of twisted metal or an ominous, craggy peak or rock face. He would not look too out-of-place alone in a landscape blackened and deformed by craters and peaks, or out of someone’s own dark imagination.

Combat Configuration:
When unfolded into his “combat” configuration Shaitan becomes much sleeker and more air-worthy, although still quite bulky and lumbering.

The head and neck extend to bring the Angel to his full length. The neck consists of nine segments of equal size; each covered in armor that slides over the adjacent segment, much like the sliding segments of plate armor. While affording great protection and support, the armor greatly limits the head’s mobility.

The main features of Shaitan’s head are three crests on top slicked back; six red, featureless eye spots seemingly locked in a permanent thousand-mile stare; and a very long, pointed chin that, when the mouth is closed, resembles a long face shroud. The head itself is in fact a false structure; it contains no sensory organs or vital structures and all of Shaitan’s “eyes” are simply markings on his skin. Rather, his head and neck are used to distract opponents away from his core and as apparatuses for releasing one of his major weapons.

Shaitan’s main body is a thick mass of armor plates, joints and hinges. The shape of the torso is conserved from the dormant state, and its bulk gives the impression of being muscular and strong. His core lies on his belly, tucked away by the rest of his body and surrounded by rocky armor, yet still somewhat exposed. Along the back, starting from the neckline, between the wing joints and down to the base of the tail, are numerous quill-like scales. These scales are also a component of one of Shaitan’s weapon systems.

The tail, like the neck, consists of several armored, interlocking segments; though much larger and restricted to side-to-side movements. This tail terminates with a wide, paddle-like heterocercal tail. Shaitan’s tail houses his main “engine” of locomotion: along the sides of this caudal fin are linear jet exhaust outlets that emit blue-red jet plumes when active. Whatever “fuel” Shaitan “burns” to achieve thrust is apparently highly pollutant, as these jets leave behind soot-black contrails in their wake.

Fig. 3: The heterocercal tail (caudal fin) of a shark.

Finally, Shaitan possesses six wings: two large main wings along the horizontal plane of symmetry of his body, and four smaller ones; one pair mounted on his back and belly, respectively. Each trailing edge is lined by feather-like plates, all which act as control surfaces that aid in flight. From the midpoint to the tip of each wing, along the trailing edges, are more of the linear jets that act to propel Shaitan’s great mass through space. Similar to the tail engine though of lower individual output, these too emit a brilliant blue-red plume followed by an ashen trail which stretches endlessly through the sky.

[IMG] [/IMG]
Fig. 4:.

Personality/Goals:
Shaitan is clearly sentient and is more than willing to show it via mind-invasions onto those who may or may not want to know. In accordance with his title, Shaitan is apparently and constantly in a state of malaise and stupor. But to say this and only this is a gross over-simplification, as the state of despair (and what Shaitan stands for) defies mere words, ideas and, in many cases, logic.

Anyone who has ever dealt with a depressed person (especially those who are clinically depressed) knows that these types of people seem to operate at a completely different wavelength and speak a different language; as if you are Windows and they are Linux – and no one has any drivers.

Furthermore, depression is more than simply melancholy and lethargy; digging deeper into such minds reveals a plethora of underlying rage and resentment. They are aware of their predicament, real or imagined, and while they may feel totally helpless, they will also be desperately seeking for anyway out or for making their problems easier to deal with. A profound, self-righteous streak could arise and, ironically, there is a real fire and energy behind this attitude.

Segueing back to our Angel in question, Shaitan is all of these plus an extra bucket of chicken. The extra bucket of chicken being that Shaitan exhibits signs of a personality disorder best described as schizotypal personality disorder in humans. The depressed Angel’s dialog is punctuated with bizarre beliefs and themes; some of which he is fond of referencing include death, reality, entropy, falsehood, and pride - so all the fun things in life. Concepts in which we are typically familiar with are often twisted beyond their original meanings all in order to justify his own actions. He seems to demand solitude and peace from the intrusions of other beings, yet cannot help but to be drawn to the presence of others.

Shaitan seems to believe that all of existence, all that has been created, is but a lie; a veil over a greater state of being. Because everything changes, that there are things that are completely different from other things, and that there are things that are inconsistent, Shaitan finds the universe incomprehensible. Further, it seems that everything exists only to be destroyed or reduced: large masses only can get smaller, energy never lives up to its potential. Finally, Shaitan himself has existed for many untold numbers of millennia: he was once a seed of life for a young planet, but such days had long since passed. More recently, he drifted though the dark void of space, accompanied only by lifeless debris, occasionally landing on an inhabited world and coming into conflict with the strange creatures of that land. Some way or another, he always ended up back in the cold void, peppered with new scars and accompanied with new rocks, but otherwise always alone – free to dwell on his thoughts. Boredom has not only gripped his mind, it strangles it; and in a mind devoid of constructive stimuli, madness creeps.

It was these inconsistencies, lack of apparent purpose, and long history of defeats and failures that frustrate this ancient emo. Shaitan came to the conclusion that some omnipotent, omnipresent entity (God or First Ancestral Race, take your pick) was behind all of these symptoms of existing and whoever it was that was behind the curtain, it was toying with all of sentient life – either for pleasure or to inflict torture for its own sake. Further, through his many trials, Shaitan believes that he has found one true constant: entropy. It was from this revelation that gave him some comfort and purpose, even if it did instill a sense of fear for his own existence. To those ends, Shaitan resolved to strike back at the progenitor and has adopted the role antithetical to the creator(s), that role of course was that of the destroyer. And thus is the quest of the despairing one; to burn though the creator’s lies and find the real truth – the lies being everyone and everything "it" has created and the truth being something very abstract, immaterial, and ill-defined.

Overall Combat Doctrine
He seems to operate under the doctrine of “annihilate everything that I can see down to the last atom”.

Special Abilities:
    Soul Sense:
    Despite the large number of eyes which appear on his face, Shaitan is actually visually blind; those numerous eye spots adorning his skull and torso are decorative markings. In place of visual identification, the Angel of Despair senses the presence of souls in his local environment. He is able to "see" the souls of Angels, humans, various animals, some plants and other mysterious sources. What he sees is a dark world populated by nondescript, multicolored lights of various sizes and temperament, gently illuminated by the cool glow of the souls of lesser species and other background sources.

The clear advantage with this ability is that it allows Shaitan to seek out and destroy any living being in a way that any and all measures of stealth and concealment are useless. The clear disadvantage to this is that Shaitan is rendered unable to sense threats posed by inanimate objects; he would much rather interrogate a distraught human cowering on the ground than pay any attention to the salvo of N2-equipped ICBMS approaching him from behind at supersonic speeds.

That is all for now, I hope to really finish this thing soon but...

As for Awards, I hope to present them as soon as the Awards themselves are finished. Otherwise, I may have to present a spreadsheet containing our results.
Last edited by Chowwow on Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:23 am

Glad to see you here again. Your 'Shaitan' does seem to have quite a lot of potential, and if this guy is as powerful as you make him out to be, it seems unlikely that he'd be bothered much by a few N2 weapons (Sahaquiel and Zeruel were unfazed by them, after all).

AyrYntake
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Re: Shaitan: Angel of Despair

•      
  •      

Postby AyrYntake » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:45 am

View Original PostChowwow wrote:ancient emo

Nice way of putting things you got there :toothy: and yes, it's great to have you back!

View Original PostChowwow wrote:The most significant inspiration comes from an internet user of whom I came to know impersonally. An unhinged, unabashed misanthrope, he has drawn the ire and fascination of many other individuals attempting to understand him.

Do we know this guy?

I like the design a lot, and being a predominantly visual kinda person I'd probably prefer more pictures in relation to the words, but given your busy schedule I don't blame you. You love naming your Angels after devils, dontcha? Then again, I guess two out of three isn't a good representative sample. == I'm gonna go back now and read up on Iblis' backstory, I seem to have forgotten the awesomeness of times gone by.

Holy Diver
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Holy Diver » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:45 pm

Welcome back!

And I see you brought us "a fearsome, loathsome, floating monolith of death and pain." How thoughtful! :)
Deus Io Vult! (God wills it!)
"Get your ass in gear!" Asuka

"Catdog has an S2 engine in his stomach. He does not need to eat, and whatever he does eat is reacted with antimatter to provide endless energy." Ruthlessly stolen from anon.

Return to “Fan Works”