(Second) Evas vs. Angels Design Contest! (Afterthoughts)

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

SEVA-01: Soviet Prototype Evangelion Series

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:58 am

This year, Vegeta 20XX will be Designing for the Eva portion of the Contest only. This Eva makes references to his Angel Jamaerah which he had designed last year, which will be listed in its entirety here for narrative purposes.

September 1
Image Vegeta 20XX

Vegeta 20XX wrote:Name and Title: SEVA-01, Soviet Prototype Evangelion Series
Assigned To: Unknown, as the USSR retains confidentiality of pilot identities.

Personal Characterization / Background History: The SEVAs were developed for much the same reasons as the original Evangelions were, though some of the motivation was political - why let Japan get all of the glory for the Angels' demise when the USSR can try get a piece of the glory pie? Hence, spies in Tokyo-3 gathered DNA samples from the Evangelions after Angel confrontations, in order to replicate and improve on the design of the EVA series. SEVA-01 is the first of these prototypes, and it's pilot's identity is entirely unknown, though SEVA-01 reportedly shares much of it's genetic basis with Evangelion Unit 00.

Physical Description: SEVA-01 is slightly stockier and less streamlined than the original EVA series, and is colored blue and black, with small white accents on the arms and head. Like Unit 00, SEVA-01 has a single eye.

Abilities/Weapons: SEVA-01 utilizes a heavier set of weaponry than the other Evangelions do, including massive, high-powered Gatling cannons and rail guns. It also has a host of hidden weapons inside of its armor, including rockets and EMP missiles.

Armor Type: SEVA-01's armor is much thicker and robust than that of the EVA series, but as a result of this, SEVA-01 is somewhat less agile than NERV's originals. Also, SEVA developers are constantly finding structural conflicts, such as armor on a joint being too large and restricting movement.

Name and Title: Jamaerah - Angel of Manifestation
Size Measurements: "Wing" span: 116 feet - Center body dimensions: Approx. 28 foot diameter, 87.9 foot circumference
Class Ranking: D-Class (basic state), B-Class (more advanced state), Near-S-Class (most advanced state, very difficult to achieve)

References: None to speak of.

Personal Characterization / Background History: This Angel (referred to as male) hid deep under what was once Antarctica following Second Impact. He was originally a compound of the Angels after the Second, but the explosion separated them into several distinct Angels, leaving a weak, withered Angel behind (i.e, this one). The Angel moved from area to area, hiding from any possible attack, until the Angels attacked Tokyo-3. The amounts of energy released in the fights between the Angels and the Evangelions attracted this unknown Angel, and he would seek to reincorporate the others into himself.

Physical Description: Fairly small compared to typical Angels, he has a fairly "withered" appearance, has four wing-like appendages attached to a small spherical body covered in holes and a few bumps and spikes. The core/S2 Organ is at the center of this body, and is visible from several of the holes. Most of the center body is protected by ossified layers similar to those in an Angelic mask, though there are numerous "soft spots".

Abilities: His main ability is "assimilation", in which he absorbs his fallen (or possibly living) brethren to become stronger (he appears less withered each time he does this, and gains a halo-ish aura ring around his center each time he does). He can also break apart into much smaller pieces to avoid detection, being as frail as he is, he would be very easy to destroy otherwise. He can also assimilate other Angels in this broken state, with the separate pieces acting as a cloud of "locusts", if you will. Prior to doing this, though, he hides somewhere secluded, as he separates from his core in the process - damaging the core in this process causes the many pieces to die, essentially becoming a bunch of bone-like fragments. In an advanced enough state, however, he can replicate his core to allow his survival in such an event. He also levitates.

Abilities: He has very few natural defenses, and a very weak direct attack would kill him in his basic state. In a more advanced state, he is able to project a strong explosive aura which damages enemies, though not to too great of an extent. Further up from this is the ability to use the enemies attacks and defenses as it's own (so long as they are energy or AT-field based).

AT-Field Performance: Extremely strong, though he can only hold this up for a very short time before it shatters and leaves him open. A constant barrage of punches and etc. will wear it out, but a single hellish attack won't faze it. Once broken, it requires several days to regenerate. Can be projected at up to a distance of 200 meters, though the ATF can be projected longer if it is closer to the Angel.

Armor Type: Angelic mask-like ossified layers, which harden as he assimilates more Angels.

Offenses: The assimilation technique is ineffective against Evangelions due mostly to their armor (an unarmored Eva could be assimilated), so he relies mostly on his defenses. Advanced states can use pulse attacks to temporarily disable the Pilot's ability to control his or her Evangelion (which can backfire and get the Angel killed if the Eva goes berserk on his ass). The assimilation halos can be used to cripple or poison the Eva if there is a break in the armor.

Miscellaneous other abilities: Can store the genetic material (whatever it may be) of assimilated Angels for 3I attempts, and when in a broken state, can camouflage to some extent. When is survives a fight, it remembers the opponent's combat strategy, though severe enough damage to his body can cause amnesia.

Combat skills and strategies: This Angel is mostly suited for ambushes and simultaneous attacks. Usually bails out when another Angel is killed so he can come back later and assimilate it. The best way to prevent this Angel's evolution is to dispose of the defeated Angels.

Names of Designer and all contributors: Vegeta 20XX. 'Nuff said.

4:32 AM, outside of Arkhangelsk
The wind blows with a biting cold, leaving some to wonder how the Russkies even LIVE out here. But there is something else here besides the wind that ought to trouble them, anyway.

Well, it would had the USSR not finished most of the final preparations for the SEVA project's debut. Four lights glow brightly in the distance, amid the terrible windfall. The USSR even sent television cameras over here to demonstrate it's newest line of defense.

A massive humanoid machine...thing approaches the lights from a distance, halting to stay out of sight. Black, blue, and white under normal operation, a gigantic Soviet flag was made just for this occasion, as it now sits around the machine's neck like a robe. Trucks arrive carrying appropriately sized weaponry pulled up beside the leviathan machine, which they refer to as "SEVA-01". The SEVA arms itself with a rail gun, and marches forward in front of the cameras. The lights move forward, revealing a withered-looking Angel, though such would only be revealed for a little while longer...

The first shots are fired, and the Angel retreats with massive wounds. The television reporters say that the Angel is dead, though such is doubtful. Nevertheless, the Angel was driven off of the Motherland, and into the sea. Jamaerah is now NERV's problem.

And that is it for our registered entrants! It's been an exciting year, with lots of new ideas from many newcomers!

Tomorrow we will start Judgment for this year's Contest. More to follow when that day rolls around.

As for my own entry as well as Awards, production has gone to a grinding halt. I'll get them out when I can, but no guarantees. Again, assistance would be appreciated.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:03 am

That was rather anticlimactic.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

AyrYntake
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby AyrYntake » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:15 pm

That's putting it a bit harshly, NemZ...dang, with that Russian arms-race thing Vegeta stole an idea of mine that I was planning to use somewhere else. :shrug:
Well, that's the end of that! Now for the awards...whenever they're arriving. :smirk:
Cirrus, Socrates, particle, decibel, hurricane, dolphin, tulip

Formless One
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Formless One » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:28 pm

I've put in an offer to Chowwow to help with the awards. It'll take a little time-- hand drawings on paper are like that. But I've got a lot of reference material to work with, so you can bet it will look authentic and cool. :)
[/opinion]
[size=75]My (fan-)fiction [color=blue]

tehprognoob
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby tehprognoob » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:20 pm

In the meanwhile, why don't we run a side contest for non-eva NGE-related designs (i.e. JA knockoffs, better heavy fighter jet-VTOLs, et cetera) just for fun?

Vegeta 20XX
XX0↊ ɐʇǝƃǝɅ

•      
  •      

Postby Vegeta 20XX » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:27 pm

View Original PostAyrYntake wrote:That's putting it a bit harshly, NemZ...dang, with that Russian arms-race thing Vegeta stole an idea of mine that I was planning to use somewhere else. :shrug:
Well, that's the end of that! Now for the awards...whenever they're arriving. :smirk:

Actually, I was planning something similar to that since around 2003.

@NemZ: It wasn't supposed to be climatic.
Avatar: Apophis' shifty-looking gaze as he invades the SGC.
Vegeta 20XX: Actually pixelated, and the self proclaimed "King of the screw up". - Fazmotron
The most awesome thing ever. Seriously.
I witnessed a young girl ohhh about 12 years of age or so fall off a snowbank then proceed to say "Fuck you snowhill that hurt" - Dataprime
For those who put things like "Chuckman x Chuckmen" and "Follower of the Chuckman x Chuckman pairing" in their signatures: All you need is fuck.

Siege
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Siege » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:03 pm

View Original Posttehprognoob wrote:In the meanwhile, why don't we run a side contest for non-eva NGE-related designs (i.e. JA knockoffs, better heavy fighter jet-VTOLs, et cetera) just for fun?

.... i [ second ] the [ notion ].
IRC.Rizon.net #AdeptusEvangelion

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

Judgment Week Starts

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:34 am

View Original PostSiege wrote:.... i [ second ] the [ notion ].

Damn shame that you could not share anything this time; it was simply too late to join this year.

As for other types of Contests, don't count on it. We've still got this one to go!

Judgment Week

Judgment Week is upon us, and with so many Awards to give, so many entries to sift through, and so little time, I fear that our Judges have their work cut out for them!

This year, I'm not planning on holding Conferences, as previous years have shown them to be unnecessary. However, I will be expecting updates from everyone and, as always, I'll be available to help out.

My own Presentation should pop up some time during this period, though I would need to get my own ass in gear.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:27 am

View Original Posttehprognoob wrote:In the meanwhile, why don't we run a side contest for non-eva NGE-related designs (i.e. JA knockoffs, better heavy fighter jet-VTOLs, et cetera) just for fun?

I wasn't aware any of this wasn't "just for fun" to start with...

An 'other' category could be tacked onto the lillim design contest (the second half of this ongoing trend, for anyone who didn't already know that) as a dual category the way evas were added to the angel contest this time. Or perhaps the four categories could be separated into a quarterly arrangement, all the better to drive Chowwow completely bonkers. :mwahaha:

Personally I think the JA, Tridents, and anything built to be used on that scale (such as new progressive weapons or armor types) should be added to the 'eva' category in future installments to give it more variety. Anything meant to be used on a human scale belongs in the second category. I'm still a bit torn on where to suggest place N2 bombs, eva transport craft, angel intercept systems and the various support structures like the launch catapults, umbilical cables and weapon caches as they aren't really things the evas 'use' but are meant to function within that size category. Thoughts?
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:41 am

Most of the things you suggest would fit in a "Weapons and Equipment" category. Not sure how many would take the path of Kensuke, though.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Formless One
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Formless One » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:00 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:I wasn't aware any of this wasn't "just for fun" to start with...

Or "for self promotion", but same thing. :smokin:

Personally I think the JA, Tridents, and anything built to be used on that scale (such as new progressive weapons or armor types) should be added to the 'eva' category in future installments to give it more variety. Anything meant to be used on a human scale belongs in the second category. I'm still a bit torn on where to suggest place N2 bombs, eva transport craft, angel intercept systems and the various support structures like the launch catapults, umbilical cables and weapon caches as they aren't really things the evas 'use' but are meant to function within that size category. Thoughts?

There is the possible category "elaborations on the setting" (i.e. worldbuilding, or whatever you want to call it) that some of the non-weapon stuff could fit into. Of course, then you all would be treading on my territory. :fistshake:

( :wink: )
[/opinion]
[size=75]My (fan-)fiction [color=blue]

tehprognoob
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby tehprognoob » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:59 pm

As we're waiting, I just though I'd bring y'all the scanned versions of my contest entries, excluding Miyoko.

[url]http://tehprognoob.deviantart.com/art/HTCP-scan-original-concept-178353234[/url]

[url]http://tehprognoob.deviantart.com/art/HTCP-scan-with-wings-178352944?q=sort%3Atime+gallery%3Atehprognoob&qo=1[/url]

[url]http://tehprognoob.deviantart.com/art/HTCP-scanner-ver-178352435?q=sort%3Atime+gallery%3Atehprognoob&qo=2[/url]

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:04 am

A big issue has popped up: I haven't gotten in touch with one of our Judges in a long time. This could mean that he's dropped out of the Contest for the time being. Because of this, I may have to make an emergency call for a new Judge to replace him, as well as an extension to give that new Judge time to deliberate. I'd like a pool of volunteers to step up, and let you guys know if we need to make the change if our Judge doesn't get back to me soon.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:44 am

Hmm. I have a little free time this week. Do you object to me stepping in?
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:30 am

Mixed news: BrikHaus has decided to drop out of Judging due to personal reasons, but UrsusArctos has decided to join up again to take his place. Because of that, I am thinking about extending Judgment a few days longer, just to make things more fair for UrsusArctos.

As of Sept. 9, 1:30 EST:

Judges:

AyrYntake
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby AyrYntake » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:21 am

EXTENDED JUDGMENT
The suspense is killing me.

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:48 am

View Original PostAyrYntake wrote:EXTENDED JUDGMENT
The suspense is killing me.

The Contest is doing a few other things to me.

Updates: I'm setting the new deadline to be Wednesday, Sept. 15, for all Judges to submit their ratings.

Further: It seems I've lost another Judge due to inactivity. I'd like another show of volunteers to possibly replace him, if he does not get back to me. This time however, there may not be anymore time extensions for the Judges, if we do find a replacement. We should make do with the time we still have.

AyrYntake
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby AyrYntake » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:57 am

Am I allowed to be a judge for the Eva contest?

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:28 pm

You can judge if Chowwow agrees, but you can't vote for your own entry.

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:23 am

Let me take the time to give you guys a little update:

One of our Judges needs a little more time to figure out his votes, so a little delay will be needed for that. I also still need to sort out the results that we have, so that we can have a clear picture of the popular consensus. Finally, I've made important progress in my entry, but there are still some ways to go with it.

All in all, I'm gonna delay this 'till Monday, Sept. 20. By then I expect everything (my last Judge to be finished deciding, Formless One with the Awards, etc) to be done.

In other news, I'm planning on outright cutting off the LDC, considering current conditions. Opinions on this are welcome.

Return to “Fan Works”