[DOUJINSHI] Re-Take

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Gorbatschow
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gorbatschow » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:05 pm

View Original Postxanderkh wrote:Be sure to check out RE-TAKE too while you're at it. It will give you all kinds of feels and closure. ^_^

But be sure to pick the all ages version.
Avatar: Mugen no Juunin- coloured by me | UserPic: Last month's avatar (Eden: It's an endless World)
__
"Everyone has the right to self-determination and every try to classify a human being as better, dumber, worse or gentical assessed is pure fascism and everyone in this country should actually know that“- Serdar Somuncu

“Intelligent men do not decide any subject until they have carefully examined both or all sides of it. Fools, cowards, and those too lazy to think, accept blindly, without examining dogmas and doctrines imposed upon them in childhood by their parents, priests, and teachers, when their minds could not reason.” - James Hervey Johnson

“Science doesn’t give absolute answers; it only shows the most presumable contingency based on actual, practical or theoretical evidences.” – My physics teacher

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:33 pm

View Original Postxanderkh wrote:Be sure to check out RE-TAKE too while you're at it. It will give you all kinds of feels and closure. ^_^

Oh, it will, will it? I'll prove you people wrong! Its much-lauded charms have no chance of reaching my cold, black heart! None, I tell you!
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Gorbatschow
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gorbatschow » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:42 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Oh, it will, will it? I'll prove you people wrong! Its much-lauded charms have no chance of reaching my cold, black heart! None, I tell you!

I too wasn't really moved by it. I was kind of disappointed by the sex-scenes and wasn't able to believe the twist the author used at the end. :facepalm: Everything else was kind of okay, I guess.
Avatar: Mugen no Juunin- coloured by me | UserPic: Last month's avatar (Eden: It's an endless World)
__
"Everyone has the right to self-determination and every try to classify a human being as better, dumber, worse or gentical assessed is pure fascism and everyone in this country should actually know that“- Serdar Somuncu

“Intelligent men do not decide any subject until they have carefully examined both or all sides of it. Fools, cowards, and those too lazy to think, accept blindly, without examining dogmas and doctrines imposed upon them in childhood by their parents, priests, and teachers, when their minds could not reason.” - James Hervey Johnson

“Science doesn’t give absolute answers; it only shows the most presumable contingency based on actual, practical or theoretical evidences.” – My physics teacher

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:52 pm

Re-Take is convoluted nonsensical garbage. The idea about parallel dimensions is neat and then it goes off into incomprehensible gibberish.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:00 pm

Re-Take's great if your an LAS shipper. I'm not sure you'll get much out of it if you aren't, and you'll without a doubt have a negative reaction if you're into LRS.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

MisatoCrush
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MisatoCrush » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:32 pm

View Original Postxanderkh wrote:
Be sure to check out RE-TAKE too while you're at it. It will give you all kinds of feels and closure. ^_^

Cool thanks. But I have some dumb questions.
Is this re-take only available online, in like, PDF format? Or can I buy hardcopies?
I searched Book Depository's website but nothing came up for e retake.

There's an adult version and an all ages version? Does that mean 1st edition is the adult one?
You linked to the all ages version, is the adult version worse?
As long as the adult version is quality I'd prefer that one.

This link you posted xanderkh, I see volumes 1-3 right? Aren't there 6 volumes?
In short, where can I see the adult one (if that's quality) or the all ages one (if the adult one is bad)?

thanks!
Last edited by MisatoCrush on Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I watched the Neon Genesis Evangelion TV show and films for the 1st time in January 2014. Heartbreakingly sad but so beautiful too. I'm here to discuss theories about what happened in the show.

MisatoCrush
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MisatoCrush » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:35 pm

View Original PostCJD wrote:Re-Take's great if your an LAS shipper. I'm not sure you'll get much out of it if you aren't, and you'll without a doubt have a negative reaction if you're into LRS.

Hi! Can you please explain the acronyms for shippers? LAS - Asuka's full name? Not sure what LRS is?
I watched the Neon Genesis Evangelion TV show and films for the 1st time in January 2014. Heartbreakingly sad but so beautiful too. I'm here to discuss theories about what happened in the show.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:42 pm

View Original PostMisatoCrush wrote:This link you posted xanderkh, I see volumes 1-3 right? Aren't there 6 volumes?

The six volumes of the Adult edition are (in order) 1, 2, 3, 0, 4, "After".
The All-Ages version is bundled as three volumes.

No paper versions that I know of (though I may be ignorant).

View Original PostMisatoCrush wrote:Hi! Can you please explain the acronyms for shippers? LAS - Asuka's full name? Not sure what LRS is?

L=love, other letters are initials. So LAS is Asuka x Shinji, LRS is Rei x Shinji, LKM would be Kaworu x Mari (not come across that as far as I can recall).
Last edited by pwhodges on Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:15 pm

View Original PostMisatoCrush wrote:There's an adult version and an all ages version? Does that mean 1st edition is the adult one?
You linked to the all ages version, is the adult version worse?
As long as the adult version is quality I'd prefer that one.

The adult version is just hentai sex scene added, you can do very fine without them. The all age version added some scenes and redraw some panels, so if you're here only for the story, take the all-age version.

On a side note, a little thing I found "funny" in hindsight :
final volume  SPOILER: Show
in the scene where ghost!Asuka is explaining to "God" about the whole parallel dimension business, where an infinite number of world where created as a result of Third Impact, like one when everyone came back and nobody blames, or a "world of judgment where all the blame fall on him, made for his penance and salvation", illustrated by a shot of a Tokyo-3 in ruins namely this page :
I'm the only one who just can't stop from imagining the Wunder flying over the ruins everytime I see this image? :lol:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:29 pm

Everyone knows Rebuild is just one of the Retake parallel universes. 4.0's going to end with Shinji waking up in the hospital just like Retake started. Turns out Rebuild isn't a prequel to Eva, its a prequel to Retake.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse

Oxopoha
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Oxopoha » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:40 am

^Oh God...
SPOILER: Show
I just imagined Rei's suicide scene animated, I'd either die a little inside or be distracted by the giant chins.
"Shinji Ikari: Eroge Meta-Protagonist" - Agentomega
Just what you'd expect from the master Mr. Anno

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:52 am

View Original PostCJD wrote:Everyone knows Rebuild is just one of the Retake parallel universes. 4.0's going to end with Shinji waking up in the hospital just like Retake started. Turns out Rebuild isn't a prequel to Eva, its a prequel to Retake.

Nah, it's just another Instrumentality scenario.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

LightDragonman
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby LightDragonman » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:17 pm

Now this may be just because of my shipping preferences, but I felt that this doujin is incredibly overrated.

I don't know. Having Rei turn out the way she did just screams of "die for out ship". I mean, hanging herself after trying to act and look like Asuka to gain Shinji's affections? Am I the only one who feels rather uncomfortable but this? It just screams "hey look, Rei is soooo inferior to the awesomeness that is the goddess Asuka, and Rei is just a dirty peasant". That just makes it vey hard for me to enjoy this story when it is basically putting one character on a pedestal. Yes, this is a different take on a rather abstract character, but I just found it to stain the entire doujin to the point of unpleasantness. It also made me ironically dislike Asuka even more. Again, this is because Rei is my favorite character.

Not to mention that I actually kind of preferred the more nuanced and yes, weak Shinji in the original over this, where he becomes a rather stereotypical hero. Plus, running back to solve everything in the past feels, to me at least, a bit of a cop-out, as the point of Eva I felt was trying to move forward and not be stuck in the past. Not to mention the whole turning Gendo's nastiness up to eleven. Even his Rebuild persona wasn't this bad.

Just my two cents. I know that others like it, but for me, I found it rather cringe-worthy.
Proud fanboy of Rei Ayanami. :p

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:16 am

View Original PostMisatoCrush wrote:Hi! Can you please explain the acronyms for shippers? LAS - Asuka's full name? Not sure what LRS is?

Love Asuka Shinji and Love Rei Shinji, respectively.

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:38 am

View Original PostLightDragonman wrote:Not to mention that I actually kind of preferred the more nuanced and yes, weak Shinji in the original over this, where he becomes a rather stereotypical hero. Plus, running back to solve everything in the past feels, to me at least, a bit of a cop-out, as the point of Eva I felt was trying to move forward and not be stuck in the past. Not to mention the whole turning Gendo's nastiness up to eleven. Even his Rebuild persona wasn't this bad.

Just my two cents. I know that others like it, but for me, I found it rather cringe-worthy.

Well, it kind of does that in a sense, where it subverts the Peggy Sue aspect of the story by having Shinji return to the real world instead of living in his "dream" that he "corrected". Where he accepts his and Asuka's flaws and returns to the real world, which yes he did destroy, but to the real world (And REAL Asuka) nonetheless.

And, just out of curiosity, what's wrong with Shinji changing from his previous personality and growing into a better person? People change everyday as new experiences are lived and realized. :)
Just curious to your reason and thinking, 'tis all. :lol:
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:54 pm

View Original PostLightDragonman wrote:Now this may be just because of my shipping preferences, but I felt that this doujin is incredibly overrated.

Can you really call it overrated when it's one of the most divisive pieces of Evangelion based media around? Seems to me "overrated" implies consensus on the quality, whereas Re-take is split pretty neatly down the middle.

View Original PostLightDragonman wrote:Plus, running back to solve everything in the past feels, to me at least, a bit of a cop-out, as the point of Eva I felt was trying to move forward and not be stuck in the past.

It's been years since I read Re-take (I plan to reread it again soon, probably after my upcoming Eva rewatch), but I"m pretty sure Re-take sticks to that theme, too. The story makes a point of looking down on Shinji's subconscious consistently "running away" from reality (the post 3I world), and in the end Shinji eventually does learn to stop running away and accept reality.
Last edited by CJD on Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:19 am

View Original PostLightDragonman wrote:Not to mention that I actually kind of preferred the more nuanced and yes, weak Shinji in the original over this, where he becomes a rather stereotypical hero. Plus, running back to solve everything in the past feels, to me at least, a bit of a cop-out, as the point of Eva I felt was trying to move forward and not be stuck in the past.

Well, that was the point that Re-Take did the better : Shinji actually didn't came back in time, he traveled in an alternative dimension and possessed the body of this AU!Shinji(which is implied is what made him the final Angel), and even thought Ghost!Asuka(actually EoE!Asuka that followed him in a spectral form) gave him the opportunity to settle in that universe that he saved for good(by wiping out his memories and making disappear his angel powers), Shinji refused because, as "God" noted, what Shinji really wanted wasn't to have an Asuka all for himself, but to be forgiven by "his" Asuka for his past mistakes. So in the end Shinji came back in his dimension with Ghost!Asuka, leaving AU!Shinji back in his body.(who's clearly the one who gets out the best on this whole story)

Also, Shinji's new heroic tendencies aren't portrayed that positively, it's clear that it's just a facade that he put on to keep going and try to make things right this time, but this facade goes close to crumble when Rei commits her suicide, and completely shatters when Asuka dies, to the point that he becomes an even more ruthless version of Gendo, going as far as fucking eating Kaworu with his Eva to take his S2 Engine, Kaworu! And with the plan to start Instrumentality all over again to be reunited with Asuka!
It's made very clear that had Asuka not been revealed to be alive, he would had completely lost his mind.

But I agreed that the treatment of Rei II was really poor, she was hit hard by the "Murder the Hypotenuse" syndrome, a shame because comparatively Rei III is far better developed.
The worst is in fact Kaworu, only appearing to be mogu'd three page later by an insane Shinji... lame, really.
Last edited by ElMariachi on Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:16 am

Yeah Rei's portrayal in the doujin was kinda shitty, personally i didn't mind it too much but i guess i can see how it could be a significantly major negative point for others.

It's been a while since i've read it but i don't recall Shinji being all that different in character compared to NGE when you adjust for the generally sweeter tone Re-take goes for. As for it's "cop-out", it's supposed to be a cute story so i don't really mind much.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:50 pm

The pacing sucks in the first volume, and it affects the believability of the entire romance. Which is shitty for the rest of the plot.

Also the uneven art makes cast look like weird, uncanny doppelgangers of someone else's re-design of them. It's like that Simpsons episode with Lester and Eliza. I know it's unfair to shit on a doujin for having amateurish art, but by the same token, I don't really remember a skinny kid like Shinji being ten pounds heavier in the face and nowhere else.

Mr. Jive
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Jive » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:30 am

This is one those revenge manga by a angry and bitter fan who did not like how the series ended. So they turn every bad things around into something good telling everybody everything gonna be alright, while making character they don't like look bad. What they don't relize is by writing junk like this make all the characters look bad and awful. If psycho boy could go back and change things, do you all really believe Asuka is the one he would choose to be whit? And stop saying this person knows how to write Asuka. From what I seen over the years no fan knows how to write about the red devil. [/spoiler]

Return to “Fan Works”