Official EvaDOOM Project Thread

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Vegeta 20XX
XX0↊ ɐʇǝƃǝɅ

Official EvaDOOM Project Thread

•      
  •      

Postby Vegeta 20XX » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:47 pm

This is not a new idea on my part - if anything, it suffers from being, well, an idea from a ten-year-old me who had just watched all of NGE in one sitting after smashing though Knee Deep in the Dead on Ultra-Violence, it's been a plan of mine since, well, I first watched Evangelion at ALL. With that mind, please keep your chuckles, ridicule, and etc., to yourselves until AFTER reading this post (I don't care at that point - it's a silly premise, a silly crossover, and just plain-ass absurd, not necessarily in the good way, either). Since this is its first public showcasing ever, after 11 years of planning, refinement, overhauling, going back to its roots, and so on, I present the vulnerable design document for the abomination that is EvaDoom.

Since I already typed out the gist of this post in the readme file for evadoom.pk3 (just a ZIP file renamed to associate it with a modern Doom source port), I'll post it here:

The EvaDOOM design document wrote:The idea of EvaDoom has been floating around in my head since about 2003, and developed further
following the release of Doom 3. The basis premise is that you, our friendly neighboorhood Doomguy,
is shunted out of the familiar Doom reality we all know and love (with the UAC, demons, teleporters,
and Doomguy's dead pet rabbit, Daisy) and into that of the Neon Genesis Evangelion universe, along with
a sizable contingent of demonic forces. EvaDoom intends to answer the question: What do people
who dedicate their lives to fighting the imposing, macroscopic Angels do when confronted with, well,
demons?

The first level of EvaDoom will appear to be identical to E1M1 of classic Doom, exiting instead to the
aforementioned reality-shunting, and leading to the outskirts of Tokyo-3. There, you will fight
tooth-and-nail through hordes of newly possessed JSSDF soldiers, who fight alongside the more familiar
Former Humans in Hell's bid to conquer Earth, paving your way through NERV's corridors in demon blood
as the forces of Hell prepare to assimilate new technology to open up untold masses of gateways
across countless realities - and you, the one guy Hell just can't kill, must defeat demonically
augmented Evangelion-Cyberdemons, slay the possessed remnants of NERV's staff, and end the
foul Rei-Demon, a hellishly engineered fusion of the Second Angel, its soul, and a LOT of spare demon
parts, capable of pouring endless demonic legions from the sky with its VTOL engines. In addition,
there will be more easter eggs than you can shake a Lance (SPEAR, dammit!) of Longinus at, and enemies
you never thought you'd ever see in Doom, and after grabbing a nice, tall glass of victory from
Hell's maw, Doomguy becomes merely one of a massive host of characters you can kill demons as.

EvaDoom will stand apart from Z/GZDoom in that it will have its own launcher, as well as unique
codepointers and statedefs that, for all intents and purposes, makes it incompatible with existing
sourceports. The launcher will automatically update, and new content - such as new monsters,
weapons, and characters - will be added as EvaDoom's life cycle continues. The original, basic
mod will include only one new weapon, the S2 Cannon, in Slot 8. EvaDoom will be based off of
Doom II, not Ultimate Doom, and will be restructured in a manner similar to UD - however,
secrets will show its true heritage, as each episode will include at least one Heavy Weapon Dude
and one Super Shotgun.

It will be followed by EvaDoom II, which will use D2's normal level structure and include
Doom II's unique monsters. It will take place in the now-altered NGE universe, during the time
when Doom II takes place in the normal Doom universe. JSSDF zombies will be absent, and replaced
by various new Former Humans. A new weapon, the Ion Cannon, will be introduced in ED2. In addition, possessed Rei Clones will wander around as well, packing rocket launchers and dropping ammo for them upon death - monster infighting will never be the same!

Since I have very little in the way of content developed for it, it is better posted here rather than at the ZDoom forums (where my EXISTING projects, particularly X-Weapon: Helsturm, require more of my time). Unlike said X-Weapon, however, EvaDoom and EvaDoom II will use NO fancy effects, sticking close to the style of the original two Doom games.

Finally, I need help to ensure that various aspects, aesthetic and functional, are accurate to NGE, and this forum would the best place to correct discrepancies in the projects. A detailed set of floorplans/diagrams/etc. for Tokyo-3 and NERV would do wonders here.
Last edited by Vegeta 20XX on Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar: Apophis' shifty-looking gaze as he invades the SGC.
Vegeta 20XX: Actually pixelated, and the self proclaimed "King of the screw up". - Fazmotron
The most awesome thing ever. Seriously.
I witnessed a young girl ohhh about 12 years of age or so fall off a snowbank then proceed to say "Fuck you snowhill that hurt" - Dataprime
For those who put things like "Chuckman x Chuckmen" and "Follower of the Chuckman x Chuckman pairing" in their signatures: All you need is fuck.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:20 pm

So you don't actually have anything done, you're just spouting ideas? I'm not sure I understand the point of this.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Vegeta 20XX
XX0↊ ɐʇǝƃǝɅ

•      
  •      

Postby Vegeta 20XX » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:01 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:So you don't actually have anything done, you're just spouting ideas? I'm not sure I understand the point of this.

It's a place for opening work on the project to be posted, and for the project to be discussed/ridiculed. If you want me to whip up a screenshot, I'll throw one up, though since I have NO sprites, NO maps, and NO detailed diagrams of NERV's interior, any change between Ultimate Doom and EvaDoom may not even be immediately noticeable (there will be a visible change, but likely only one until actual work is done). Furthermore, since this is the Fandom Area, where fan works, complete, in-progress, or in planning stages, are posted, I see no infringement upon the rules governing this forum or EvaGeeks at large.

Now excuse me while I find a suitable HUD face to do things with.
Vegeta 20XX: Actually pixelated, and the self proclaimed "King of the screw up". - Fazmotron
I witnessed a young girl ohhh about 12 years of age or so fall off a snowbank then proceed to say "Fuck you snowhill that hurt" - Dataprime
For those who put things like "Chuckman x Chuckmen" and "Follower of the Chuckman x Chuckman pairing" in their signatures: All you need is fuck.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:01 am

So... you PLAN to do things. Okay, cool. Are you asking for help or feedback? Also cool.

The problem is that it sounds like you want to start a project blog here though, and that's not what the forums are for.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Vegeta 20XX
XX0↊ ɐʇǝƃǝɅ

•      
  •      

Postby Vegeta 20XX » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:58 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:So... you PLAN to do things. Okay, cool. Are you asking for help or feedback? Also cool.

The problem is that it sounds like you want to start a project blog here though, and that's not what the forums are for.

Which is great and all, but A: yes, I AM asking for help - after all, given the aim of the project, this would be the logical place to receive help from, and B: there are many threads around the forum dedicated solely to the discussion of a project, fic, or otherwise.

My next post will contain a screenshot.

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:57 pm

Well, I have no experience with game development at all, but this sounds interesting, and I'd love to help in any way I can.

I'm fairly decent (although slow) at pixel art, so if this is being done a la classic Doom, I could possibly do spritework.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Vegeta 20XX
XX0↊ ɐʇǝƃǝɅ

•      
  •      

Postby Vegeta 20XX » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:45 am

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:Well, I have no experience with game development at all, but this sounds interesting, and I'd love to help in any way I can.

I'm fairly decent (although slow) at pixel art, so if this is being done a la classic Doom, I could possibly do spritework.

This is indeed being done a la classic Doom, and while I can also (slowly) sprite, two spriters working slowly gets things done faster than just one - I'm glad to have your help!

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:18 pm

View Original PostVegeta 20XX wrote:This is indeed being done a la classic Doom, and while I can also (slowly) sprite, two spriters working slowly gets things done faster than just one - I'm glad to have your help!

Thanks! Glad to be of service.

Incidentally, long before I found this thread I had started work on a set of sprites- they were intended for a JRPG-type monster thingy, and they're nowhere near finished, but if you want I can send them to you. Unfortunately, I can't seem to upload them to imgur, so I'll have to find some other way of sending them.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

TheFourthReplicant
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TheFourthReplicant » Sun May 04, 2014 6:13 pm

While the story seems kinda fanficish to me, the overall idea is awesome. Experiencing Evangelion with the Doom engine? I would sign up for it.

However, here is one suggestion: Make the regular EvaDOOM to be single player focused (Maybe with some cinematic elements here and there), but also create a version of EvaDOOM specifically for fast-paced multiplayer. I'd recommend the name "EvaDOOM: Arsenal" for the multiplayer version.
Avatar: How pretentious can you get?

"I'd cuddle with them. I'd cuddle with all of them. I'd cuddle with Rei. I'd cuddle with Shinji. I'd cuddle with Asuka." -Lavinius

Play as the Sailors in Doom 2, because you can.

Return to “Fan Works”