Anime Abandon: D&R / EoE Reviews

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:41 pm

View Original PostRingworm128 wrote:This is one major problem I have with the Eva fanbase, not everyone who doesn't like Evangelion is some ignorant fool who only likes action. For all we know he understands the psychologically perfectly fine, doesn't mean he has to like it.

Yeah, it's not all that simple as not liking it due to not understanding it. In fact, he seemed to understand everything the characters were going through, he just thought it all seemed rather moot considering the plot.

My complaint is the fact that he just can't review worth a damn. As I said in my previous post, he'll use voice work directed by Matt Greenfield when criticizing a character's voice in his rants and raves pertaining to Hideaki Anno. If he can't keep in mind the fact that he's reviewing a Japanese work instead of an English work (even funnier when you consider that his quant little series is called "Anime Abandon"), then he's not a reviewer that should be taken seriously at all. It's like reviewing the Spanish dub of The Dark Knight and criticizing that Chris Nolan made Heath Ledger's Joker sound too sexy for the role in the film.

That, and I guess he's still in the middle of not realizing he's part of the obsessed otaku fan-base that Anno was trying to piss off in the first place.

Well done, Anno. Well done.

Nyanlathotep
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Nyanlathotep » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:21 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Yeah, it's not all that simple as not liking it due to not understanding it. In fact, he seemed to understand everything the characters were going through, he just thought it all seemed rather moot considering the plot.

My complaint is the fact that he just can't review worth a damn. As I said in my previous post, he'll use voice work directed by Matt Greenfield when criticizing a character's voice in his rants and raves pertaining to Hideaki Anno. If he can't keep in mind the fact that he's reviewing a Japanese work instead of an English work (even funnier when you consider that his quant little series is called "Anime Abandon"), then he's not a reviewer that should be taken seriously at all. It's like reviewing the Spanish dub of The Dark Knight and criticizing that Chris Nolan made Heath Ledger's Joker sound too sexy for the role in the film.

That, and I guess he's still in the middle of not realizing he's part of the obsessed otaku fan-base that Anno was trying to piss off in the first place.

Well done, Anno. Well done.

^ Yeah. Obviously, it's okay to give something a bad review. However, it is not okay to give something a bad review.
開いたばかりの花が散るのを
見ていた木立の遣る瀬無きかな

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:05 am

Nyanlathotep
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Nyanlathotep » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:37 am

View Original PostDr. Nick wrote:Image

:handshake: I see no problem with this motion.
開いたばかりの花が散るのを
見ていた木立の遣る瀬無きかな

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:09 am

Should I start running then?

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:41 am

Dude, TTGL takes all the fun out of insulting it because the show basically insults itself. It's kinda awesome like that.

Nyanlathotep
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Nyanlathotep » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:03 pm

View Original PostA.T. Fish wrote:Should I start running then?

Hey now, hey now, let's not lose our heads over this.
開いたばかりの花が散るのを
見ていた木立の遣る瀬無きかな

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:04 pm

View Original PostDr. Nick wrote:Image

Babbys first super

dead virgin

hobo hero

dick president

CaasiBoy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby CaasiBoy » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:31 pm

EoE review out, I watched the first minute and stopped.

Back to Slint.

bogey
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby bogey » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:43 pm

he reviewed end of evangelion..

[url]http://blip.tv/sagereviews/anime-abandon-the-end-of-evangelion-6481199[/url]
there was a hole here

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:49 pm

"It's not related to the plot - it's just a character moment".

Wut?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Atropos
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Atropos » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:07 pm

...that was seriously terrible.
At least JO put some thought into her review.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:40 pm

He critizised the pronunciation of "Seele" ...and managed to twist it into a much more irrecognizeable shape. He got it EVEN MORE WRONG.
I nearly laughed out loud.
He couldn't even get "Bach" pronounced right. The classic "ch" as k-sound mistake (I admit its difficult, it's a sound English doesn't have, but...it's closer to the "h" in "enhance", in no way anywhere near k.) I don't think he should be going around snarking at people for the pronunciation of any German words...

Also, the original Japanese actually gets it pretty much right, other than the l/r issue.
(well, to be fair, Japanese is a bit closer to German in the "dry" pronunciation of the vowels)

I hate to say "He just doesn't get it", because, yeah, the way it sounds but all those minor questions about the organisations and Kaworu and stuff... Was he paying any attention at all? It sounds like he just wrote it off very early and didn't bother piecing the clues together.
It's pretty painful when he asks "Who threw the lance the Harpies were incapacitated" when the very next scene shows that they WEREN'T.

It's so ironic how he apparently likes GitS. Doesn't that have as much philosophic talk as EVA does? But apparently, that's not "pretentious" because Kusanagi kicks more ass? The point of GitS wasn't to be an action movie, either.

I mean, I was getting kinda hopeful when he noticed how Asuka's ego doesn't match her actual fighting skills, but he doesn't get that it's freakin intentional, it's a tragedy, it's the sad story a young girl shattering upon the hard rocks of reality and failing to bexcome a woman and all that.
It's like he's standing directly in front of the door where all the meaning will fall out and cover him in a cartoon-y fashion, but he fails to open it.

I can't believe he actually made me defend Asuka. His understanding couldn't get any more two-dimensional if he tried. I tried to take it with humor the first time, but... OUCH. He hurts my BRAIN!

Also, WTF that last soul-searching segment?
Is he really not aware of the irony?
"This show sucks because, ARRGh, whiny protagonist examinating his boring life story and daddy issues! Why am I even reviewing it? Argh, listen to my boring life story and Daddy issues..."
It's like the review itself turned into EoE.

I'm beginning to suspect the REAL reasons for his vicious hatred of Shinji.

But that still leaves the Asuka deal incomprehensible.I thought I'm supposed to be someone who dislikes her and doersn't think her excuse justifies her actions. But... the level this guy takes it to... no, just, no, that's so one dimensional and unfair and mysogynistic in general and...

No, just no!

Let's hope he never reviews the Rebuild Series. Especially not Q.

BTW: Did anyone else have an ad interrupting right after the "The truth is..."? Lol.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Eva-UnitK
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Eva-UnitK » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:55 pm

So I've been reading this thread and it seems this review is not even worth watching right?
Hardcore Asuka Fan! Evangelion for life!

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:03 pm

Awww, it's cute. Anno trolled another otaku.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:43 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Also, WTF that last soul-searching segment?
Is he really not aware of the irony?
"This show sucks because, ARRGh, whiny protagonist examinating his boring life story and daddy issues! Why am I even reviewing it? Argh, listen to my boring life story and Daddy issues..."
It's like the review itself turned into EoE.

I'm beginning to suspect the REAL reasons for his vicious hatred of Shinji.

But that still leaves the Asuka deal incomprehensible.I thought I'm supposed to be someone who dislikes her and doersn't think her excuse justifies her actions. But... the level this guy takes it to... no, just, no, that's so one dimensional and unfair and mysogynistic in general and...

No, just no!

I have to admit, those two were the only things that seriously bothered me of the guy. The meta segment was indeed quite "What!? i don't even-" to the point i had to look away, but it was not only weird, but a little offensive to me, he just fucking abandoned the thing he was reviewing and made us look at him, he's not what the viewers came for, and that comes off as very selfish and arrogant for a reviewer to do. I wouldn't really mind if he were proving a point with that or if he was being witty/funny, but the way he did it, the only thing i can ask is "Dude what?"

And yeah, the way he treated/reviewed Asuka was kinda appalling (Don't know if unfair, because he seemed to be quite unsympathethic to, say, Shinji as well, but some of the words he directed at her raised eyebrows more than once), puzzingly superficial and frustrating. It's like he simply can't understand any subtleties or characters more complex than tropes/cardboard cutouts. Although that's probably more a problem with the review in general than with his treatment of Asuka in particular. It seems he gets caught up in superfluous or ultimately meaningless nit-picks and can't even hope to see the point or themes of the film.

I don't know, i found the review funny, but quite irritating as well. Either way it was terrible. Saying he doesn't get NGE can come off as pretentious or stupid from a NGE fan but i simply don't see another way to put it. I honestly don't see how he could have been so... Unobservant, throughout the whole series. It looks like he is going to review Rebuild though, probably he'll like theose ones a bit better?
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:12 pm

I'm very surprised you guys haven't yet brought up his list of questions that are supposed to pinpoint the "plotholes" associated with SEELE. That part was one of the most absurdly wrong in the entire review.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:43 pm

The opening scene isn't important to the plot? Really?

Why do people keep saying that Anno 'keeps remaking the series'? Such as in the FB comments.

He's only remade it ONCE. Rebuild. Which largely seems to fix a lot of the complaints levelled at NGE and EoE. Where's all these other 'remakes' people speak of? Theres remasterings and directors cuts sure, but except for rebuild no more than that.

Sure, it's all his opinion, but he's frequently quoted common urban myths about the show instead of actually doing some research. Likewise someone of the people mouthing off via Facebook. 'Anno said such-and-such a thing...' - come at me with a quote and a source then we'll talk.

He's full of shit. And not because he doesnt like Eva, but because of the sheer amount of misinformation and furthering of common misconceptions. His review is flawed from the outset. I shall pay it no heed. Anyway, Eoe isnt *that* hard to follow if you accept you arent going to be given all the answers.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:52 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:It's pretty painful when he asks "Who threw the lance the Harpies were incapacitated" when the very next scene shows that they WEREN'T.

They were down until they actually reactivated (Maya makes it dramatically clear when this happens), so that question is a perfectly good one. Don't knock it.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:53 pm

You guys forget: He's into Japanese anime. He's used to the whole show pausing in the middle of action scenes in order to deliver plot points and exposition of the character. I'll bet anything that if the show paused for 50 seconds during, say, the fight scene in Episode 8 in order to explain what the deal with Adam was about instead of showing a 50 second pause as Shinji struggled with the idea of killing Kaworu, he'd have no qualms with the show whatsoever.

Return to “Fan Works”