Katsucon Eva Meetup?

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:33 pm

As the Katsucon page says itself, cons are "many things to many people." Much like with Internet forums, there's a place for everyone. I'm travelling with some people from the anime club here -- otherwise you can bet I wouldn't be making the trip.

So do we have a critical mass for a meetup?

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:11 pm

drinian wrote:So do we have a critical mass for a meetup?

There's you, me, Vulkurt, and possibly chocomanji. Would you consider that critical mass?

I'm not really going to events. I'm going to hang out with Vulkurt, Sarah (Shinji cosplayer), and Travis (random crazy person).

I would like to get a bunch of Eva fans together, like we did at Otakon this year. That's always a lot of fun.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:53 pm

Looks like the schedule is up, and I don't see anything on it for Saturday that I can't miss. Let's do this thing...

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:24 pm

Got back from Katsucon at about 2:30 this morning. I didn't do anything. I hung out with people and watched as someone got progressively more intoxicated and ridiculous. And then we played with lightsabers.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:52 pm

Got back around 5 PM today. Unfortunately didn't get to meetup with EM or the others, but I did have a chat about Eva with someone (who had noticed one of the people I was travelling with was dressed as Gendo) and pointed them towards this site. Maybe they'll show up.

All in all, an enjoyable weekend. Katsucon was much better run than last year.
Last edited by drinian on Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:21 pm

drinian wrote:Katsucon was much better run than last year.

That's the truth. Anything would be better than last year. Two hotels under construction in freezing whether would have been one thing, but then the live programing was fucked up, video gaming was a mess, and the staff was extremely discourteous, even to comped people like press, panelists, and even guests at points.

Katsu this year was much more collected. There was too much crowding. The video game room was amazing though. By far the best game room I've seen in the cons I've been to.

Vulkurt
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Vulkurt » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:24 am

The Eva Monkey wrote:Got back from Katsucon at about 2:30 this morning. I didn't do anything. I hung out with people and watched as someone got progressively more intoxicated and ridiculous. And then we played with lightsabers.

You forgot the Magical Vibrating Electric Toothbrush. :P

For the past few cons, my buddies and I spend a good deal of time in the Live Action Programming room. Katsucon 12 was a bit of a disappointment. For one, the room was too small. Lady Snowblood got pretty full by the end, because there were so many people who wanted to see SARS Wars. I didn't even bother to go back for the live action version of Cromartie High School, because I was pretty sure that was going to be overflowing.

We saw Marebito, R-point, and Lady Snowblood. All were pretty good, but nothing incredibly outstanding. I liked the fact that programming mixed old and new stuff, not only in the Live Action room, but in the anime rooms as well. But it seemed like the things I really wanted to see (Mad Bull 34 and Mindgame)were at 2 in the morning, and I just wasn't going to make it to that.

I did like the old arcade machines they had. It was a blast to play that old Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom game, and I think my friends might have busted the Track and Field game. But as for the main game room, there again was disappointment from my group. No 360, no import games.

But, it's more about hanging out with people than activities. I really liked the hotel, because the rooms were huge. And the staff (of the hotel) were really nice people. But, can someone explain the partnership with Hard Rock Cafe? No way in hell I was buying the Hard Rock/Katsucon t-shirt. I can understand wanting to get sponsers, but Katsucon looked like it had "WHORE" tatooed across its forehead on that one.
Done. Guarding.

Return to “Fan Works”