Katsucon Eva Meetup?

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Katsucon Eva Meetup?

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:24 pm

Just wanted to throw out there that I will be at Katsucon in Washington, DC for the 17th-19th of this month.

I know that EM had a bad ("kat-SUCK-on") experience there last year, but I was wondering if anyone else was going and if they wanted to meet up like we did at Otakon.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:15 pm

I sent Katsucon's press contact an email requesting a press pass (since I write for UMBC's paper). If they give me one I might go for a day or two. Otherwise, I will not be in attendance. I'm putting serious consideration into skipping Otakon as well.

SEELE 08
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE 08 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:53 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:I sent Katsucon's press contact an email requesting a press pass (since I write for UMBC's paper). If they give me one I might go for a day or two. Otherwise, I will not be in attendance. I'm putting serious consideration into skipping Otakon as well.

I've never been to an anime convention, and frankly I'm afraid to. If I did go I would probably wind not cosplaying (its too weird for me). The only cosplay I would ever consider was Yuffie (I have the hair) or doing a femSEELE member (I might just do that).
I heart Encyclopedia Dramatica!
THAT WIKI/Aspergers

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:06 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:Otherwise, I will not be in attendance. I'm putting serious consideration into skipping Otakon as well.

No Eva panel this year? Dissappointing.

SEELE 08 wrote:I've never been to an anime convention, and frankly I'm afraid to. If I did go I would probably wind not cosplaying (its too weird for me).

Most (50%?) of people don't really cosplay, in my experience. I wear my "nerd shirts" -- Google, Linux, etc, but many people are dressed in something approaching normalcy.

I find it's best to go if you're either planning on meeting some people or arriving with friends. While a lot of the activities -- panels, dealer's room, video rooms, etc. can be enjoyed solo, the social aspect is, after all, a big part of why people come together for these things rather than sitting at home on the Internet.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:48 pm

drinian wrote:No Eva panel this year? Dissappointing.

Nope. And I've left dibs on the Otakon Eva panel to Reichu. So if there is one, it will be her hosting it, with me possibly along for the ride.

But I'm giving Katsucon on Saturday some consideration. There are a couple people going that I don't see too often, and I think I should take advantage of the opportunity. Plus chocomanji is pestering me to take her. She's never managed to go, and wants to this year, even if it's only for a day.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:43 pm

I got an email back informing me that I qualified for a press pass. So I might be there. I just have to get some work out of the way.

Vulkurt
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Vulkurt » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:15 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:I got an email back informing me that I qualified for a press pass. So I might be there. I just have to get some work out of the way.

Don't fuck with our emotions, crazy man. You know what I mean.

I'll be there, wif ma crew. Re-pre-sen-tan! Eva, tell me I can buy you a drink, my compadre. Bring Ben (you know he really wants to go)...
Done. Guarding.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:36 pm

Vulkurt wrote:Eva, tell me I can buy you a drink, my compadre.

I don't drink.

Vulkurt wrote:Bring Ben (you know he really wants to go)...

He's less interested in cons these days than I am. And I'm considering going to buy a cheesy leslie neilson movie from the dvd bargain bin at wal-mart rather than buying gas to drive to DC.

I'll probably go. But only for Saturday.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:20 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:I'm putting serious consideration into skipping Otakon as well.

Aw, then I guess I am too.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:33 pm

Hexon.Arq wrote:Aw, then I guess I am too.

Hex. You're such a lovable jerk.

Vulkurt
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Vulkurt » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:20 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:
Vulkurt wrote:Eva, tell me I can buy you a drink, my compadre.

I don't drink.

Vulkurt wrote:Bring Ben (you know he really wants to go)...

He's less interested in cons these days than I am. And I'm considering going to buy a cheesy leslie neilson movie from the dvd bargain bin at wal-mart rather than buying gas to drive to DC.

I'll probably go. But only for Saturday.

Firstly, how dehydrated you must be!

Secondly, yeah, Aradian and I have had long discussions about cons and whatnot. I know his position. Still, a little kidnapping never hurt anyone. Oh...wait...I guess it has...

Daaaaamn! A cheap DVD trumps a day at a con? Your disillusionment is palpable.
Done. Guarding.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:08 pm

Vulkurt wrote:Daaaaamn! A cheap DVD trumps a day at a con? Your disillusionment is palpable.

Not when you consider the delightful atmosphere of a bunch of college buds enjoying a cheesy Leslie Neilson movie together.

SEELE 08
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE 08 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:54 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:
Vulkurt wrote:Daaaaamn! A cheap DVD trumps a day at a con? Your disillusionment is palpable.

Not when you consider the delightful atmosphere of a bunch of college buds enjoying a cheesy Leslie Neilson movie together.

Airplane? Naked Gun? I love old Leslie Neilson movies!
THAT WIKI/Aspergers

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:14 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:Not when you consider the delightful atmosphere of a bunch of college buds enjoying a cheesy Leslie Neilsen movie together.

Surely you can't be serious.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:27 pm

drinian wrote:Surely you can't be serious.

Quite serious, I can assure you. And yes, I am quite sane. Anime cons just aren't of interest to me anymore. The convention scene has just gotten too saturated by this new breed of anime fans which I can't really explain my opinion of without sounding like an asshole. Let's just say that I miss a more antiquated form of anime fandom which has been all but wiped out by the current sub-mainstream trends.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:56 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:

Quite serious, I can assure you. And yes, I am quite sane. Anime cons just aren't of interest to me anymore. The convention scene has just gotten too saturated by this new breed of anime fans which I can't really explain my opinion of without sounding like an asshole. Let's just say that I miss a more antiquated form of anime fandom which has been all but wiped out by the current sub-mainstream trends.

Ted Striker: Surely you can't be serious.
Rumack: I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:53 pm

Well, not that we've established my presence of mind...

I am going to go to Katsucon, for one day only. A first! Every con I have attended I have attended for all three days. I am going purely for social purposes, not to have fun. If you see me having but an ounce of fun at the expense of the convention offerings, you have every right to roll me up in a blanket and throw me off a bridge.

SEELE 08
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE 08 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:18 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:

Inuyasha and Naruto fans? Or the obnoxious geekbombs with poor hygiene, but they've been around forever....or bad cosplay.
THAT WIKI/Aspergers

Heidroch
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Heidroch » Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:26 pm

If I was in the DC area, I'd definately go and have an EM meetup with you guys at a convention. I'm down in Florida, and have to unfortunately pass on this.

I have never been to an anime convention, so I am planning on going to one someday. Is it true what you are all saying? Are conventions becoming overrun with Inuyasha and Naratu fans?
I mean, I'd really like to attend a convention one day, but not if they are corrupted by that sort of fanbase.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:28 pm

Heidroch wrote:Are conventions becoming overrun with Inuyasha and Naratu fans?

I recommend reading Hexon's deposition on attending his first anime convention.

http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=701

Return to “Fan Works”