Evangelion Fan Art [ 6/23/2004 - 7/8/2011 ]

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:18 pm

Hexon.Arq wrote:Oh, and Reichu, while you're waiting for clarification of that statement, you might want to get a cheese sandwich. I can't tell you what it means, and knowing that you're waiting for an explanation in text is like taking a big shit with people knocking on the stall door.

I don't understand. What's the big deal?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Tabris
Adam

Postby Tabris » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:15 pm

Lots of talent around here, I see. I especially like your statue, Reichu - for its 'originality' (shall we say?) - and it looks just fine glazed to me.

I'd like to do something Eva-related myself, eventually, when I figure some remotely original picture concept to base it on *has an innate hatred for copying/using official art, or other people's.* Evangelion is one of those things I find it hard to come up with these for, since there's a bazillion fanworks out there already... or maybe that's just me and my perennial lack of inspiration. Anyhow, it'd be interesting to try a little something in PainterIX...
"One day I would learn how to laugh. Pablo was waiting for me, and Mozart too."

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:50 pm

Tabris wrote:Lots of talent around here, I see. I especially like your statue, Reichu - for its 'originality' (shall we say?) - and it looks just fine glazed to me.

It still came as a disconcerting shock compared to what it was SUPPOSED to come out looking like. >_< Interestingly, a friend of mine saw the sculpture in person and made a comment similar to what Hexon.Arq said earlier, that the sculpture had a somewhat "primitive" or "tribal" feel, felt like something from an earlier time. Interesting.

I'd like to do something Eva-related myself, eventually, when I figure some remotely original picture concept to base it on *has an innate hatred for copying/using official art, or other people's.* Evangelion is one of those things I find it hard to come up with these for, since there's a bazillion fanworks out there already... or maybe that's just me and my perennial lack of inspiration. Anyhow, it'd be interesting to try a little something in PainterIX...

I don't have too much trouble thinking of stuff that hasn't been done before... probably because my brain goes places that no one wants to go. For a ripe example, here's the sketch for something I'm hoping I can con one of my professors into letting me make for a grade:

A bit late for the holiday season, but I've been wanting to revisit "Santa Barb" for over a year now. The original is really showing its age, and it's just a parody of a preexisting image besides. I'm hoping to do the above as a polymer sculpture, perhaps utilizing some actual fabric. Would like to get some feedback before I take it to the next step, anyhow. :)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:11 pm

I'm speechless.

Tabris
Adam

Postby Tabris » Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:31 pm

Reichu wrote:It still came as a disconcerting shock compared to what it was SUPPOSED to come out looking like. >_< Interestingly, a friend of mine saw the sculpture in person and made a comment similar to what Hexon.Arq said earlier, that the sculpture had a somewhat "primitive" or "tribal" feel, felt like something from an earlier time. Interesting.

I find all earthenware tends to come out looking slightly unintended; there's always a surprise element in that respect... no better example of 'chaos theory' in action, eh?

I can see why your sculpture got these comments. It reminds me, too, (although I can't think of any specific examples offhand) of some 'primitive figurines', particularly fertility ones, from a particular book of historic art I once glanced through... especially unglazed. It's probably the attitude of the two figures that made this connection for me, rather than the proportions or shapes; although Evas do - at least for me - harbour some primitive or primordial connotations simply from their nature in the Eva story, their bodies being (compared to humans) rather generic and 'simplistic' in form... suggesting undifferentiation, but still being essentially of basic human aspect.

A bit late for the holiday season, but I've been wanting to revisit "Santa Barb" for over a year now. The original is really showing its age, and it's just a parody of a preexisting image besides. I'm hoping to do the above as a polymer sculpture, perhaps utilizing some actual fabric. Would like to get some feedback before I take it to the next step, anyhow. :)

It'd be interesting to hear what those not acquainted with the creatures we call Evas would make of it. I think if I were not familiar with them, this picture would have me in a state of stricken curiosity. :wink:

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:54 pm

I'm speechless.

I'm lunchless. :shock:

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:05 am

Tabris wrote:no better example of 'chaos theory' in action, eh?

Ugh, it drives me crazy. But, then, I am a control freak about certain things. ;)

although Evas do - at least for me - harbour some primitive or primordial connotations simply from their nature in the Eva story, their bodies being (compared to humans) rather generic and 'simplistic' in form... suggesting undifferentiation, but still being essentially of basic human aspect.

I wouldn't really call them "simplistic", being as they have all of the same muscles and various other anatomical components (head nonwithstanding) as we do. Just being Evas (and gods, and all ;) ), they are constrained somewhat to an idealized (if somewhat elongate) Olympian body type, devoid of body fat and all muscles in a conditioned state by default. Additionally, they lack hair and various fleshy landmarks on their faces. Differences in body shape, facial landmarks, and hair are all important ways that we humans tell each other apart, so, having a deficit in those areas, it reasons that the Evas would all look kind of the same to us. *

Just as part of my style, I do attempt to differentiate the Evas more greatly than they are in the anime. I'm not constrained to the anime's budget-friendly "same body template, swap the head" approach. And, well, I do draw them without that pesky armor on. ;)

It'd be interesting to hear what those not acquainted with the creatures we call Evas would make of it. I think if I were not familiar with them, this picture would have me in a state of stricken curiosity. :wink:

And if you ARE familiar with the Evas, what kind of state does this picture put you in? :lol: Well, aside from "speechless". That's Monkey for you, just ignore him...

* But, hey -- this is really one of those "eyes of the beholder" sorts of things. Crows, penguins, and geese might look all look the same to us, but they have no trouble telling each other apart.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Tabris
Adam

Postby Tabris » Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:23 am

Reichu wrote:I wouldn't really call them "simplistic", being as they have all of the same muscles and various other anatomical components (head nonwithstanding) as we do. Just being Evas (and gods, and all ;) ), they are constrained somewhat to an idealized (if somewhat elongate) Olympian body type, devoid of body fat and all muscles in a conditioned state by default. Additionally, they lack hair and various fleshy landmarks on their faces. Differences in body shape, facial landmarks, and hair are all important ways that we humans tell each other apart, so, having a deficit in those areas, it reasons that the Evas would all look kind of the same to us. *

Hence my hesitant use of the word simplistic; perceiving your fondness for Evas, I will tread carefully... :wink:

Undifferentiated is probably a better word... since there is no humanesque sexual dimorphism in the Evas (no need to reproduce as we do), and no means of imbibing nutrients as we do, I still think the Evas retain an 'embryonic' or 'potential' form that people apparently connect with the primitive. While you refer to the Evas as gods, it can't be denied that they were engineered by Man primarily as fighting machines - and therefore wouldn't need mouths or gonads - it's hard to say just how much of an Eva's form is it's 'true' form. Eva 01 went and sprouted a mouth and a fresh arm when she awakened... it's something to ponder, anyway.

And if you ARE familiar with the Evas, what kind of state does this picture put you in? :lol: Well, aside from "speechless". That's Monkey for you, just ignore him...

Personally, I think it's kind of cute. So you should probably ignore me, too... :lol:

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:27 am

I'm sorry, Reichu, but you've gotta quit with the Santa shit; it's faintly reminiscent of Mr. Hankey. Maybe if it were Kyoko in that getup it would be a different story...

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:48 am

Tabris wrote:Hence my hesitant use of the word simplistic; perceiving your fondness for Evas, I will tread carefully... :wink:

Fondness? Where do you get that idea? ;)

Undifferentiated is probably a better word... since there is no humanesque sexual dimorphism in the Evas (no need to reproduce as we do), and no means of imbibing nutrients as we do,

They actually have a complete digestive tract (demonstrated rather gruesomely in EoE), though we never get to see its tail-end...

I never really understood why they don't draw a distinctive mouth on the unarmored heads that we see (EVA-02 in EoE nonwithstanding), because it's pretty obvious right from the get-go that the Evas have one:

Image Image

It seems like a similar logic is behind why Sadamoto doesn't draw a core on his naked EVA-01s. Which is... I have no idea.

While you refer to the Evas as gods, it can't be denied that they were engineered by Man primarily as fighting machines

Well, they are intrinsically supernatural beings who are based on what is basically a god, and they possess most of the same godly qualities, even if they're kept in a suppressed state. I guess it's a simplification of sorts, but... they're gods to ME! :D

Arguably, the Evas' original purpose wasn't for fighting... but now I'm just nitpicking. :P

and therefore wouldn't need mouths or gonads

See my comments on mouths above... Also, the idea that these entities would be engineered without things that they "don't need" kind of falls short upon closer inspection. Yui's personal projects aside, the Evas were created to run on electrical power (and are SUPPOSED to run off S^2 power, but it's possible that the S^2 was intentionally engineered out of the original series), yet, as I mentioned, they possess a complete digestive system, and Adam doubtless possessed the same. The harpies actually HAVE S^2s, but they also have giant, drooling mouths. Even the Angels can be seen to exhibit mouths (Gaghiel, Sandalphon).

As for these entities being beyond gonads and sexual reproduction -- depending on how you interpret things, Lilith possesses a womb and reproductive tract, which obviously has nothing to do with the reason SHE was engineered (to bleed life, not birthe it). So for all we know, the Evas COULD be hiding something under those titanium thongs.

Personally, I think it's kind of cute.

:oops: Ahhh, you are a person of distinguished tastes, I can tell.

Hexon.Arq wrote:I'm sorry, Reichu, but you've gotta quit with the Santa shit; it's faintly reminiscent of Mr. Hankey. Maybe if it were Kyoko in that getup it would be a different story...

Yeah, but then Barb would get pretty upset, and we don't want that. (You don't want to get caught riding another Eva's girlfriend. It's just not good.)

(Honestly, I would never in a million years have made a Mr. Hankey association...)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Tabris
Adam

Postby Tabris » Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:30 am

Reichu wrote:They actually have a complete digestive tract (demonstrated rather gruesomely in EoE), though we never get to see its tail-end...

You're referring to the harpies disembowelling Eva 02...? They do have mouths, teeth, and tongues... but do we actually see them ingesting anything? These mouths (admittedly the most prominent mouths of all the Evas in Evangelion) could be weapons... not necessarily for eating. But you're probably right, after all, there exist in nature digestive tracts that are more likened to cul-de-sacs than tubes, and all that saliva...

I never really understood why they don't draw a distinctive mouth on the unarmored heads that we see (EVA-02 in EoE nonwithstanding), because it's pretty obvious right from the get-go that the Evas have one.
It seems like a similar logic is behind why Sadamoto doesn't draw a core on his naked EVA-01s.

Although you could argue it's all in Shinji's imagination, Sadamoto doesn't draw mouths on his naked Evas in the manga, either. At least, I don't think there's a drawing of a naked Eva with a mouth in there... but he does draw them with a plethora of tubes sticking out of them (to feed, perhaps?) And then, there's that shot in the anime of Eva 01's naked head, with no mouth apparent.

You're right, though... Eva 01, at least, later appears to have a mouth through which it can definitely ingest. And if it didn't, what on earth is this contraption for? Evidently, Eva 01 has a mouth if and when it requires one. :P

Arguably, the Evas' original purpose wasn't for fighting... but now I'm just nitpicking. :P

Thought you'd say that. :wink:

As for these entities being beyond gonads and sexual reproduction -- depending on how you interpret things, Lilith possesses a womb and reproductive tract, which obviously has nothing to do with the reason SHE was engineered (to bleed life, not birthe it). So for all we know, the Evas COULD be hiding something under those titanium thongs.

True, true...

An Eva in a titanium thong... now there's an original fanart inspiration, unless of course you've drawn one already. :P

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:52 am

Hexon.Arq wrote:I'm lunchless.

Best. Response. EVER.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:14 am

Monkey wrote:Best. Response. EVER.

As a fellow artist, one would hope you'd be a little more sensitive. :P Le sigh.

Tabris wrote:You're referring to the harpies disembowelling Eva 02...?

Yes. All of that intestine. And it apparently does have an out-hole that we never see (the Eva bio-readouts list "anus"), so the poop-flinging scenario from the Eva & Eva 2 Anthology is theoretically possible. :D

They do have mouths, teeth, and tongues... but do we actually see them ingesting anything?

I think the implication is that, yes, they were dining on EVA-02, both before and after her death. We never see them spitting up any of the stuff that goes into their mouths.

Although you could argue it's all in Shinji's imagination, Sadamoto doesn't draw mouths on his naked Evas in the manga, either. At least, I don't think there's a drawing of a naked Eva with a mouth in there... but he does draw them with a plethora of tubes sticking out of them (to feed, perhaps?) And then, there's that shot in the anime of Eva 01's naked head, with no mouth apparent.

Like I said, it doesn't make any sense. As per the pictures I posted, EVA-01 demonstrates that she has a very big mouth when she starts unleashing her battle cries in episode #02. (Granted, we don't see the actual teeth until #19, but that's because the red 'dentures' are blocking our view before then.) It's hard for me to take the naked head in episode #02 very seriously, because it's severely off-model (episode #20, while bandaged, conveys the true shape much better). And I can't take Sadamoto's naked Evas too seriously, either, because he somehow neglects to draw the core. WTF?

And if it didn't, what on earth is this contraption for?

They only pull that thing out for the salvage operation, but I have no idea what it's supposed to do.

An Eva in a titanium thong... now there's an original fanart inspiration, unless of course you've drawn one already. :P

:lol: I'll get to it eventually.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Tabris
Adam

Postby Tabris » Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:06 pm

I was thinking of a picture of the MP Evas having a gigantic tea-party in the vein of Coolidge's dog paintings. It's probably the lack of sleep. :shock:

However, all I really came up with was this.

Cogboy
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Cogboy » Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:59 am

goddamn thats hillarious.

more. more!
"My point? "Sick and Depraved" is a banana." - Soluzar.

"I have those frameless glasses and shit. And emo glasses, but I broke them 'cause I got angry. :( " - Shnooks.

"Old quotes are old" - Cogboy

Nephilim
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Nephilim » Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:51 am

A MP evas playing poker painting, that would be cool... :roll:
*insert cool signature here*

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:43 am

Nephilim wrote:A MP evas playing poker painting, that would be cool... :roll:

Think you can do something about that Neph? :wink:

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:17 pm

Tabris wrote:However, all I really came up with was this.

I just noticed this: The harpy has four fingers on one hand and five on the other!
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Ayanami
Sachiel
Sachiel

I have stuff.

Postby Ayanami » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:50 pm

XD! I love that Eva/Harpy picture.

Anyway... gargh. It took awhile, but I finally got up enough patience to make a new piece of fanart. And, if I do say so myself, it's pretty awesome.

Asuka EoE fanart

The only complaint I still have is Asuka's hand. That damn thing gave me so much trouble, and it still won't leave me alone. This was also, more or less, my first picture shading with pencils. And you can tell. I had nothing to go off of, so I just used my best judgement, which may or may not be the best. >.>

And then here's a wallpaper I made. It's very simple, but I like it. Image from Eva Armageddon and background from TRE-XTURE.

Rei wallpaper 1024x768

Rei wallpaper 800x600
Close your eyes and listen hard

Cogboy
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Cogboy » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:29 pm

I love that wallpaper, its going straight to my desktop.
thanks. 8)
"My point? "Sick and Depraved" is a banana." - Soluzar.

"I have those frameless glasses and shit. And emo glasses, but I broke them 'cause I got angry. :( " - Shnooks.

"Old quotes are old" - Cogboy

Return to “Fan Works”