Movie slides for Typography class. [Evangelion related]

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Strayn
Adam

Movie slides for Typography class. [Evangelion related]

•      
  •      

Postby Strayn » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:52 am

My Typography teacher assigned us a project where we have to create an opening sequence for a movie.

Nonconstructive criticism welcome. This is my first Typography class.

:gendo_kimura:
SPOILER: Show
Gainax?
Trollnax.

Strayn
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Strayn » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:13 am

Nothing?
Gainax?
Trollnax.

BornIn1142
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby BornIn1142 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:21 am

I feel like this is a bit hard for a layman to judge...

It looks great to me though. I like how clear it is despite the overwhelming amount of information.
"I'm afraid you can't create tragedy out of abnormal psychology." - Andrew Sarris.

Strayn
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Strayn » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:38 am

Layman judge designs a lot. Thanks for the response.
Gainax?
Trollnax.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:00 am

I´m just a layman too, but having watched a lot of horrible commercials and being a master in nit-picking, I should be able to give *some* advice.

First row:

Firstly, the first and last picture look kinda stuffed.
Maybe use short and striking words instead of whole sentences?
In the third picture, that little eva in the left bottom is too small.
You should generally make the Eva´s BIGGER, you don´t even have to show the whole thing for a much greater effect.
Centralize the goddamn mechs, don´t put them on the sides, they should pop into the viewer´s face like a brick through your window.
And that cross font in the first picture is just bugging me.

Second row:
Again, there´s too much going on in the first picture at the same time.
The font in the second picture is far too big and there is far too much going on.
But I like the fact that you matched the colors with Unit-03 and the dawning sun it stands on.
Last but not least, the fourth picture.
Maybe you should make "The First Angel" a little more bigger and a little more flashier so that people can distinguish it between the "Kaworu knows adam know Kaworu very well"

That is of course just my opinion, but what else am I supposed to post instead?

Strayn
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Strayn » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:24 am

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:
I´m just a layman too, but having watched a lot of horrible commercials and being a master in nit-picking, I should be able to give *some* advice.

First row:

Firstly, the first and last picture look kinda stuffed.
Maybe use short and striking words instead of whole sentences?
In the third picture, that little eva in the left bottom is too small.
You should generally make the Eva´s BIGGER, you don´t even have to show the whole thing for a much greater effect.
Centralize the goddamn mechs, don´t put them on the sides, they should pop into the viewer´s face like a brick through your window.
And that cross font in the first picture is just bugging me.

Second row:
Again, there´s too much going on in the first picture at the same time.
The font in the second picture is far too big and there is far too much going on.
But I like the fact that you matched the colors with Unit-03 and the dawning sun it stands on.
Last but not least, the fourth picture.
Maybe you should make "The First Angel" a little more bigger and a little more flashier so that people can distinguish it between the "Kaworu knows adam know Kaworu very well"

That is of course just my opinion, but what else am I supposed to post instead?

Thank you for the response. I do realize they seem too wordy and what not but I am supposed to make it type centered; there wasn't even supposed to be images. I had thought short words or phrases would be too little, but that's just me. Yes, 05 is small, not sure what I was thinking. I didn't centralize them because I wanted variation, but I do agree that the centralized ones look the best to me (02 and 03). Personally, I really like the Lilith one because I was trying to portray the significance of Lilith. Did you find anything wrong with it? You never mentioned it.
Gainax?
Trollnax.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:54 am

These look decent to me, though they look like they would be more at home as the opening for something like an animated series then a movie. Kinda reminds me of cowboy bebops opening.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Strayn
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Strayn » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:00 am

View Original PostDefectron wrote:These look decent to me, though they look like they would be more at home as the opening for something like an animated series then a movie. Kinda reminds me of cowboy bebops opening.

Yeah, I would have preferred it not type centered, not my thing.
Gainax?
Trollnax.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:01 pm

View Original PostStrayn wrote: never mentioned it.

If I didn´t mention it, it was okay.

Strayn
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Strayn » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:10 am

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:If I didn´t mention it, it was okay.

:asuka_thumbsup:
Gainax?
Trollnax.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:33 pm

Some general suggestions:

Make the shading of the background consistent to tie it all together even as everything else changes... like always darker on the sides. Also, take that into consideration for your text, as some of it is pretty much unreadable because of the shading. Put it in a higher level?

I don't care much for the font (ragged edges at large size, eew), but it would probably be a good idea to use 2-3 fonts in total for different 'levels' of text. Maybe all from the same family, just light, black, normal? more contrast is a good thing.

The occasionally backwards/upside down text isn't my thing but it's isn't terrible... but it is pretty bad when you change direction in the middle of a line, such as the unit 02 text.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Strayn
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Strayn » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:45 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Some general suggestions:

Make the shading of the background consistent to tie it all together even as everything else changes... like always darker on the sides. Also, take that into consideration for your text, as some of it is pretty much unreadable because of the shading. Put it in a higher level?

I don't care much for the font (ragged edges at large size, eew), but it would probably be a good idea to use 2-3 fonts in total for different 'levels' of text. Maybe all from the same family, just light, black, normal? more contrast is a good thing.

The occasionally backwards/upside down text isn't my thing but it's isn't terrible... but it is pretty bad when you change direction in the middle of a line, such as the unit 02 text.

I wasn't intending to make the text readable, just into a design. the focus was supposed to be on the staff and what not. if it wasn't typography class I'd make it less text centered lol
Gainax?
Trollnax.

Strayn
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Strayn » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:14 pm

I redid the Eva 03 slide.
Gainax?
Trollnax.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:40 pm

Oh man, it's getting all Persona up in here!

Seriously though; from an aesthetic perspective I think the slides are well-designed, but they don't really seem to match the atmosphere of the movie. Evangelion is very stylish, but it's also very moody. These feel too clean and sterile; they need more MOOD. And not just any mood; Eva's mood. I'll leave it up to you to determine what exactly that is; sorry I can't be more specific, but I too am a layman.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Strayn
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Strayn » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:21 am

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:Oh man, it's getting all Persona up in here!

Seriously though; from an aesthetic perspective I think the slides are well-designed, but they don't really seem to match the atmosphere of the movie. Evangelion is very stylish, but it's also very moody. These feel too clean and sterile; they need more MOOD. And not just any mood; Eva's mood. I'll leave it up to you to determine what exactly that is; sorry I can't be more specific, but I too am a layman.

Arigato. I plan on making new ones.
Gainax?
Trollnax.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:32 am

View Original PostStrayn wrote:I redid the Eva 03 slide.

Nice although maybe you could try using a smaller ALL CAPS font for the writing in the sun?
That soft font kinda ruins the mood.

Strayn
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Strayn » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:06 am

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:Nice although maybe you could try using a smaller ALL CAPS font for the writing in the sun?
That soft font kinda ruins the mood.

Good point. I copypasted the Rebuild description of 03 from the site and was too lazy to all caps it. Half hour till I turn these babies in, let's see how this goes.
Gainax?
Trollnax.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:40 pm

View Original PostStrayn wrote:Good point. I copypasted the Rebuild description of 03 from the site and was too lazy to all caps it. Half hour till I turn these babies in, let's see how this goes.

Be sure to report back :)

Return to “Fan Works”