Hideaki Anno Schizo . Evangelion

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Hideaki Anno Schizo . Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:45 pm

This is a book released in 1997 which consists of a collection of interviews divided into three parts.

Part I is a lengthy interview with Hideaki Anno, split into four chapters: "We Have Nothing", "How to Finish the Story", "Be Creative and Masturbate", and "Devilman and the Oedipus Complex".

Part II... Forgive me. I still have trouble talking about it. But SSD translates the title as "Part Two: Evangelion Hideaki Anno's staff "Judgment by default" (First part)". Yes, Part Two is called "First Part".

Part III is titled "What is Rei?"

We still have buttloads of untranslated Anno interviews, so of course we're never going to reap the fruits of Hideaki Anno Schizo ・ Evangelion. I just thought I'd bring it up because I just discovered it, and the release of a lengthy collection of interviews about Eva as far back as 1997 shows that Anno wasn't as tight-lipped about his creation as he seems to be thought of as here. I mean, there's a whole lot on the production process and a whole chapter called "How to Finish the Story".

Also, for God's sake, if any of the translations I've given are wrong, correct me. I'm inclined to think chapter two is actually called "Creation is Masturbation", but SSD sai-
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:54 pm

We need more resources about Anno and more resources in general... Sigh.

Also, Naw, I believe it's "First Part" as in "first part of the Anno/staff discussion".
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Sun Stealer
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sun Stealer » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:40 am

Yeah, but the problem is that Anno seems to sew misinformation and purposefully contradict himself in each interview he gives.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:57 pm

View Original PostSun Stealer wrote:Yeah, but the problem is that Anno seems to sew misinformation and purposefully contradict himself in each interview he gives.
Name one instance in which this has happened. The "maybe she has morning sickness" doesn't count.

AyrYntake
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby AyrYntake » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:11 am

Um.
Would anyone happen to have the text of this, moonspeak or otherwise?
Cirrus, Socrates, particle, decibel, hurricane, dolphin, tulip

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:26 am

You can order it from Amazon JP and probably some other retailers. I haven't been able to find any of the exact text, but a synopsis of "The Work is a Masturbation Show" (the correct translation of the second chapter; SSD and I were way off) is available here, so perhaps other chaper synopses are also available on the site. I'm guessing it's even more screwed up than what Google's translation made it out to be. Something about a play Anno and Miyazaki attended in which the actors st-... Well, you can Google translate it yourself and your interpretation is as likely to be accurate as mine. Or you can provide an actual translation if you're able and inclined.

AyrYntake
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby AyrYntake » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:36 am

Gah. I would if I had the money to spare.
Cirrus, Socrates, particle, decibel, hurricane, dolphin, tulip

gwern
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby gwern » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:57 pm

It seems to me that discussion on Schizo/Prano is of higher quality in http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=10342 ; perhaps this thread should be locked.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”