Does anyone know which DVD has that ver of EoE?

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
berto
Tunniel
Tunniel

Does anyone know which DVD has that ver of EoE?

•      
  •      

Postby berto » Wed May 26, 2010 6:14 am

You know, the one where instead of the DNA string for credits there are particles falling and where when Asuka says no the audio is cut and replaces with text.

I've been looking for that version of the movie since the release of the DVD. I got a fansub VHS way before the DVDs were released on the US so for a long time I thought that that was the only version and it's the one I'm used to. Well, I've been wanting to get it on DVD for a good 10 or more years now and no one has ever been able to tell me whitch of all the EoE DVDs had that version, only that it was available on LaserDisc and the DVD is rare.

The only thing I've found was this video where you can see the diferent rolling credits:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLe61FXKTTY
Can anyone help?
Not who you think I am.

Adam
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Adam » Thu May 27, 2010 5:51 am

It says this is the ending of the first Laser Disc release of the movie in Japan. I had some Fansub a couple of years ago, too, and was kinda disappointed when I got the UK Manga Video DVD release which did not have this ending/piece of music.

If you wanna take the risk, send me some money via Paypal, so I'll go to Tsutaya and rent the Japanese DVD edition to check if they used it this ending for the DVD release as well. And maybe I'll even xxx it for you
:misato_service:

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu May 27, 2010 8:49 am

You should be able to find this version on the Japanese LDs/VHS/DVDs with the "Genesis" labeling. I.e., the two halves of the film were reformatted for packaging with the TV episodes, and the theatrical version was sold separately. The "Genesis" printings are long since discontinued, by they're naturally still floating around.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

berto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby berto » Thu May 27, 2010 2:40 pm

View Original PostAdam wrote:It says this is the ending of the first Laser Disc release of the movie in Japan. I had some Fansub a couple of years ago, too, and was kinda disappointed when I got the UK Manga Video DVD release which did not have this ending/piece of music.

If you wanna take the risk, send me some money via Paypal, so I'll go to Tsutaya and rent the Japanese DVD edition to check if they used it this ending for the DVD release as well. And maybe I'll even xxx it for you
:misato_service:

How much is the rental?

View Original PostReichu wrote:You should be able to find this version on the Japanese LDs/VHS/DVDs with the "Genesis" labeling. I.e., the two halves of the film were reformatted for packaging with the TV episodes, and the theatrical version was sold separately. The "Genesis" printings are long since discontinued, by they're naturally still floating around.

Do you know what the "Genesis" prints look like?
Not who you think I am.

ILUVASUKALANGLEY
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby ILUVASUKALANGLEY » Fri May 28, 2010 5:45 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:You should be able to find this version on the Japanese LDs/VHS/DVDs with the "Genesis" labeling. I.e., the two halves of the film were reformatted for packaging with the TV episodes, and the theatrical version was sold separately. The "Genesis" printings are long since discontinued, by they're naturally still floating around.

Reichu, all the Japanese Laserdiscs had Genesis on them. Except for the Limited Movie box and the Symphony of Evangelion [or Symphonic Orchestra Live]
"If Only Life Was As Simple As Evangelion"

Adam
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Adam » Fri May 28, 2010 11:26 pm

View Original Postberto wrote:How much is the rental?

Hmmm, maybe some 3 to 4 US dollars (300 to 400 Yen)...

berto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby berto » Sat May 29, 2010 3:05 am

View Original PostAdam wrote:Hmmm, maybe some 3 to 4 US dollars (300 to 400 Yen)...

That ain't too bad.

I tell you what. If you can tell me what the cover looks like I can figure out if it's one I already own and know it ain't it and if it isn't we might give it a go.
Not who you think I am.

Adam
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Adam » Sat May 29, 2010 3:30 am

Tsutaya Online shows this cover:
http://www.tsutaya.co.jp/works/10029061.html
but I think this is the real thing:
http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E5%8A%87%E5%A0%B4%E7%89%88-NEON-GENESIS-EVANGELION-%E3%81%BE%E3%81%94%E3%81%93%E3%82%8D%E3%82%92%E5%90%9B%E3%81%AB/dp/B0000DJ299/ref=sr_1_9/377-4626890-8911344?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1275121595&sr=8-9
I'm almost 100% certain it's this one. I mean, if it's NOT this one, then it's looking pretty close to this.

berto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby berto » Sat May 29, 2010 4:34 am

Nope, I have that, and I have a friend who has the other, they're the same version.

The only ones I haven't seen are this one:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E6%96%B0%E4%B8%96%E7%B4%80%E3%82%A8%E3%83%B4%E3%82%A1%E3%83%B3%E3%82%B2%E3%83%AA%E3%82%AA%E3%83%B3-Volume7-DVD-%E5%BA%B5%E9%87%8E%E7%A7%80%E6%98%8E/dp/B00005F5SK/ref=sr_1_39?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1275125235&sr=1-39

And this one:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E6%96%B0%E4%B8%96%E7%B4%80%E3%82%A8%E3%83%B4%E3%82%A1%E3%83%B3%E3%82%B2%E3%83%AA%E3%82%AA%E3%83%B3-%E5%8A%87%E5%A0%B4%E7%89%88-DVD-%E7%B7%92%E6%96%B9%E6%81%B5%E7%BE%8E/dp/B00005F5UK/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1275125361&sr=1-20

My money is on number 2. It says it has The End of Evangelion on it. I can't read more than a few hiragana characters so I can't really tell what's on number 1, much less confirm number 2.

I would buy number 2 but they won't sell it to me because I live in the US and it's a private seller.

This one might also be it but again, can't sell it to anyone outside of Japan:
http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E6%96%B0%E4%B8%96%E7%B4%80%E3%82%A8%E3%83%B4%E3%82%A1%E3%83%B3%E3%82%B2%E3%83%AA%E3%82%AA%E3%83%B3-SECOND-IMPACT-BOX-DVD/dp/B00005HS2A/ref=sr_1_27?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1275125727&sr=1-27

Edit:

Well, I found the LD:
http://www.pustan.com/ld/Japan/nge013.html
http://www.pustan.com/ld/Japan/nge014.html

Aparently the EoE release was made so the each laser disc had both versions of episodes 25 & 26. Now If I could just find the DVD.
Not who you think I am.

Adam
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Adam » Sat May 29, 2010 6:18 am

There used to be a fansub which I got around 2005 from the net, which had the movie split in 3 files. the 3rd part was only the ending. But for some stupid reason I don't have this anymore. Must have erased it at some point when I got the original DVD or it got lost when my HDD crashed or something. I can clearly remember as I loved that ending myself so much and later regretted it got lost for whatever reason :-(

Here's something I found - but maybe nothing new to you:
http://www.users.on.net/~attema/Pen3/faq/#TheatricalVideoDiff

However, I'll keep my exes open for the Genesis release. Maybe I find it used somewhere. I mean, it's practically worthless here in Japan. I'll tell you then!

berto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby berto » Sat May 29, 2010 12:34 pm

I've found a few places where they have the used DVDs from Japan but I can't figure out which is the one to get. I'm pretty positive that the actual sellers don't know ether. It's a bit frustrating.
Not who you think I am.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon May 31, 2010 12:41 pm

Here's the info I have on the specific discs. Probably too late in thread to be especially useful, but whatever:

Genesis 0:13
[Cover: Misato in full uniform leaning against wall]
KILA 164
SADI-1 CAV . SADI-2 CLV
Has Episodes 25 and 25'.

Genesis 0:14
[Cover: Entire cast standing over blue coral]
KILA 311
SADI-1 CAV . SADI-2 CLV
Episodes 26 and 26'.

Google the KILA serial numbers for additional fun.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

berto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby berto » Mon May 31, 2010 4:36 pm

Thenks, I already found the LDs, check the post above. And I think I found the DVD:
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B00005F5SK/

Out of all the ones I've looked into this is the only one that doesn't have 'Theater Version' in the discription. Also, it has both the movie and the last two episodes of the show.

Since it's so cheap to buy used I can buy it, but there is no garantee that they'll sell it to me. Amazon tells me that a lot of the people selling used copies provably won't sell internationally. Also, amazon.jp only has express delivery to the US making it about an extra 20 bucks.

There is one other thing I'll try today. There is a Mitsuwa market here, they have a book store there and I've ordered DVDs there before. I don't know if they'll be able to buy the used copy and sell it to me in turn, but last time i ordered they told me that they buy from amazon, ship here and sell to me.

It's a gamble since the DVD is out of print and there is no garantee that they'll be allowed to buy a used copy. Unfortianitly I have no friends living in Japan that can buy it for me and ship it to me cheap.
Not who you think I am.

Adam
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Adam » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:44 am

I can try to get it for you in one of the used DVD shops around here in Tokyo and send it over to you for the most reasonable price. But you need to pay me before I buy it - via Paypal, if that is okay with you?

berto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby berto » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:44 pm

That would be fantastic. I'll tell you what, you get me an estimate of how much I'd owe you and we' PM each other on the details.

Hopefully this is the one, and if it is I can rip it and sub it myself. There are a few other things EoE related things that I've been meaning to rip and sub. I can do it all in one weekend or something.
Not who you think I am.

Adam
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Adam » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:04 am

Okay, I'll take a look around tomorrow to see how much this things costs in average. PM later.

Edit: found nothing at Otaku shops today, but instead I found this one today at Tsutaya (rental):
[URL=http://img228.imageshack.us/i/eva2526dvdx.jpg/]Image[/URL]
The backside is just the same design like the CD case-sized release which you posted above with episode 25, 25', 26 and 26' on it.

berto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby berto » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:49 pm

This has pretty much become my last hope to find it on DVD. From what everyone tells me it was never released on DVD, not EVER. If this isn't the one then maybe looking for it on DVD is a wild goose chase.

I did, however, find the LaserDiscs for $10 each and a place here in San Diego that would gladly convert the LD to DVD. DVD I can rip. Also, LD players can be pretty cheap and the region restriction was placed with the creation of DVD so getting a player should be no problem.

If the DVD isn't the one then it'll take me a long time to get this together since it'll cost me every step of the way...

If I knew how to rip LD to avi all of this wouldn't be such an issue.
Not who you think I am.

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:24 am

I can confirm that both the KIBA-7 retail and KIBA-10007 rental DVDs (as seen in Berto's and Adam's posts, respectively) contain the "Genesis" version of End of Evangelion with the different ending credits (and all the other differences).

However, the interesting thing is that the subsequent, but still pre-Renewal "Second Impact Box" set (the third box of three, GDVD-012) doesn't have it. While the original TV volumes 1-5 seem to be duplicated in the first two boxes of the 2I set and given similar stock numbers (KIBA-1 turns to GDVD-001, etc.) it appears that the third box's Vol. 7 is given a variant stock number of GDVD-007-2. It is also borne out by that disc's menu, which only shows episodes 25 and 26, but NOT 25' and 26', unlike the original KIBA-7 release which has all 4 episodes (if you want to call "Air" and "Magokoro wo Kimi ni" separate episodes.) Another separate issue of note with the 2I set is that episodes 21-24 on Vol. 6 (GDVD-006-2) are the original OA versions, and not the NPC versions like the regular KIBA-6 retail release.

GDVD-007-2 menu:

KIBA-7 menu:

I guess they wanted to save money by putting the last 2 TV episodes on a single-layer disc (as all the KIBA-# discs were dual-layered.) Probably they thought having "Air" and "Makokoro wo Kimi ni" on 2I's Vol. 7 would be redundant because the disc from the KIBA-105/6 Evangelion Theatrical Edition release (with the EoE version that we all are familiar with) was also included in the set as GDVD-009 (Death + Rebirth was GDVD-008.)

Of course, none of the Renewal version DVDs (anything released from 2003 to present) have the EoE variant in question, which is a pity. Anyhow, the bottom line is if you want the "Genesis" version EoE on DVD, KIBA-7 and KIBA-10007 are your only options. BTW, in case anyone's wondering, this DVD's video is 4:3 letterboxed (i.e. NOT anamorphic) and has a single 192kbps Dolby 2.0 stereo soundtrack.

ath
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby ath » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:10 pm

Thanks! I remember that Hyper Shinchan and I talked a few times about importing that release from Japan but all the sellers he contacted weren't interested in international shippings to Europe. Unfortunately he hasn't posted on this forum in a while, so I emailed him a link to this discussion if he has something to ask you.

As you have the discs available and you've already taken some screenshots of the menus, could you please take some shots of the differences between your version and the "regular" EoE? They could be useful to create a page similar to the one comparing Rebirth with EoE. (I'd take the screenshots by myself as I did with most of the series for the Commentary if I could import KIBA-7 with Shinchan, but I guess that won't happen anytime soon)

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:55 am

View Original Postath wrote:As you have the discs available and you've already taken some screenshots of the menus, could you please take some shots of the differences between your version and the "regular" EoE? They could be useful to create a page similar to the one comparing Rebirth with EoE. (I'd take the screenshots by myself as I did with most of the series for the Commentary if I could import KIBA-7 with Shinchan, but I guess that won't happen anytime soon)

Yeah, I can do that. It shouldn't take too long since the only differences are the full-screen intertitles, ending credits, episode 26' preview, and Asuka's infamous on-screen "iya" caption. Nothing nearly as in-depth as Rebirth, which had major portions of re-done visuals and audio differences.

Edit: OK, finished compiling the pictures of the version differences. Pictures are 848x480 .bmp files for the theatrical version (16:9 anamorphic DVD source) and 640x480 .bmp files for the video version (4:3 letterbox DVD source.)

http://www.4shared.com/file/dcnqgf4k/EoE_Versions_2.html

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”