[Manga] Shinji Ikari Raising Project

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
GT-One
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GT-One » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:34 am

Since Volume 14 of the original manga seemed to take another while to finally be released in Germany, I had a look at some spin-offs, that are available on everyone's favorite online store. Thankfully, I could already take a "look inside" one of the first volumes of "The Shinji Ikari Raising Project" and found it quite funny. Besides this, Takahashi's drawing style being relatively close to the one in the original manga really appealed to me, not to mention seeing my favorite characters in a rather "normal" environment.

Granted, it doesn't have the depth of the original, but then again, it also doesn't take itself too seriously. Also, I'm quite fond of the fact, that Gendo comes out of nowhere every now and then and saves the day with another hilarious act. On the contrary, I wish, the (older) female characters weren't so... "well endowed". Its slightly detering, but (thankfully) still not enough, to keep me away from continuing to read the story.

Now, I did finish Volume 9 a few days ago and still have to wonder, how this will play out in the end - I hope there will be one. And although I wouldn't consider myself an Asuka/Shinji shipper, I always love the moments those have together - until Shinji accidentally does something that enrages Asuka. But I can somehow relate to the guy, he really didn't do it on purpose every single time.
"Feelings of love are just a temporary lapse in judgement. Like a mental illness." - Haruhi Suzumiya
"Is that supposed to be funny?" - Kyon

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:23 pm

View Original PostGT-One wrote:
Now, I did finish Volume 9 a few days ago and still have to wonder, how this will play out in the end - I hope there will be one. And although I wouldn't consider myself an Asuka/Shinji shipper, I always love the moments those have together - until Shinji accidentally does something that enrages Asuka. But I can somehow relate to the guy, he really didn't do it on purpose every single time.

Well, It's just "EVA goes full Love Hina", so it fits de mood of the "story.

Still, far away from Petit Eva. The two original volumes are, by far, the best spin off (Before we read Anima full translated, of course)
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:11 am

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

GT-One
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GT-One » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:27 am

I guess, that was about time; Volume 17 already hit Japanese shelves this week. Still stuck at Volume 10 myself; not that I don't want to read further, but rather because the other volumes haven't fond their way to my doorstep until now.
"Feelings of love are just a temporary lapse in judgement. Like a mental illness." - Haruhi Suzumiya

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:00 pm

View Original PostDataprime wrote:

Oh, thank God. They've been milking the fuck out of it for far too long.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:18 am

Well, I've just read the 14th and 15th volumes and I only can say.......WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT??? Have been these two volumes written by the same people that brought us the first six?? Seriously?? After a dozen of volumes where Rei only has been a doll for jokes and make Asuka jeaolous......suddenly she turns into the "poka poka Rei show"!!!! "I want to make memories" WTF!!!!???And Asuka, after a dozen af volumes where we've been witnesses of her suffering and jealousy...she turns into willie E coyote!!! She turns from a legitimate tsundere (combining fury and tenderness) to a walking joke. And where did go the plot involving Seele, Kaworu, Rei and Ritsuko?? It's this really the same manga?? Mana started as a spy!!!!! And the nipple festival?? Where does come from??

Seriously, i'm gonna end this shit because I've paid for 15 volumes, but i dont' know how are they gonna fix it in only 3 volumes. GOS 2, despite the horrible artwork, it's thousands of light years away in quality. The hell, Shinji Ikari detective is shit.....but at least didn't lie : it looked like shit from the beginning.

And Petit Eva still waiting for an english translation :facepalm:
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

GT-One
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GT-One » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:36 pm

Well, this sounds like a lot of fun, one can obviously still look forward to. And I really have to wonder about Rei too, she has lately shown increased effort in pulling Shinji towards her - almost out of nowhere. Come on, Asuka, only you can give the boy the treatment he deserves!

I gave myself a break after volume 13, because I felt like going back to the cruel world of Sadamoto's manga. Still, volume 14 is already lying around here (well, it's actually kept in a box) and volume 15 has been ordered today. I've come too far to end it shortly before, just because of a mediocre story.

Interestingly, I considered getting 'Angelic Days' last week, but then had a look again at the artwork from the first chapter and decided to rather skip it once more.

Coldwire
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Coldwire » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:58 am

So, has this ended yet? Does anybody know what's happening right now on this manga?
I could hide familiar in my pain
serve my sorrows in vain
or I could step right outside
and show you that I'm alive
I'll leave you behind...

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:19 pm

I just picked up volume 15 last weekend. I already know its going to end ambiguously, with neither Rei or Asuka as a clear "winner". I only read this for the parts were Gendo pops up and does something hilarious.
Avatar: "Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore"
Hitler AND eating babies in a Shinji thread? Business as usual- TMBounty_Hunter
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD
Does Love Live get a lot of shit or something?- caragnafog dog

AlphaGamma
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby AlphaGamma » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:22 am

View Original PostKazuki_Fuse wrote:I just picked up volume 15 last weekend. I already know its going to end ambiguously, with neither Rei or Asuka as a clear "winner". I only read this for the parts were Gendo pops up and does something hilarious.

I've checked out some of the chapters. It always feels like Asuka is the most focused on character, yet at the same time the most hopeless romantically, which is pretty funny. I do think we will see a clear ending though, it's been ongoing for 10 years and it would be silly to leave it unclear.

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:43 am

This shit is Eva meets love Hina, and Asuka is obviously Naru, but who knows???

Leaving it unclear?? i wouldn't discard that option, for me it's the one with most chances. After volume 4 it was clear that Asuka was the potential winner, but then came the "monster of the week" scheme and everything went wrong.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:34 am

I wonder at this point if out of the blue, the series when winding down will go back to the actual plot (last seen in Volume 4 or 7? I lost track). Then maybe there could be some proper conclusions, explain Kaworu and Mana's deals/their outcomes, etc...

Or it'll just end with Shinji tripping behind Asuka and completely pulling her panties down around her ankles. Fin.

I remember having the perfect thoughts in mind of how interesting the ISRP manga could be if it was an actual story. Something like this: Seele has Kaworu and Mana persuade (seduce too :devil: ) Shinji on bringing forth Instrumentality for their own purposes, while Team Crazy-Awesome Parents are trying to "breed" Shinji to gradually make his own decisions in life (what girl he wants, what he wants from life, etc) so he could decide himself when inevitable Instrumentality occurs. Would be a bit bizarre way of doing so on their end, but such a story could have been interesting regardless.

If memory serves about ISRP game proper (WHY ISN'T IT REMADE WITH ANIME-STYLE GRAPHICS? Rei WITH Asuka PROJECT IS PRETTY ANIME-STYLE), on first glance the AU world was AU 26, but then it actually wasn't due to certain characters being there, like it was an Instrumentality result? My memory's fuzzy so refer back to my old posts in the proper threads (maybe in here too), I guess.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Seoul Gamer
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Seoul Gamer » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:19 pm

I'm more of a Shinji/Rei shipper myself, but my god, I felt for Asuka in this manga. That poor girl just cannot catch a break. The narrative does nothing but make fun of her.

Also, no tragic backstory for Rei. How boring!
Be warned, I may occasionally ask stupid questions.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:35 pm

I noticed the post above, but some old news either way that Volume 18 is the last. No link up on Amazon.JP yet... I have no idea why that ANN 1 forum poster was hardcore insisting there was a 12-episode Girlfriend of Steel 2 OVA, I think all fans would have remembered such a thing! -o-;

I really wonder if it'll have a proper conclusion (unlikely?)...GoS2 manga and Campus Apocalypse had such a better story, though GoS2's artwork was obviously unpolished.

I still think my ideas/suggestions a few posts up could have been pretty interesting story, but naturally this series is all in it for the yen (sigh).

distopia
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby distopia » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:06 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:I noticed the post above, but some old news either way that Volume 18 is the last. No link up on Amazon.JP yet... [...]
I really wonder if it'll have a proper conclusion (unlikely?)...
[...]

No news about vol. 18... No news about last chapter published in shonen ace...
I'm wondering if ANN info about isik ending were true...

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:19 pm

Japanese reviews for Vol 17 on Amazon Japan commented how Vol 18's the last. Maybe the ending was so underwhelming that nobody covered it?

distopia
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby distopia » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:45 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Japanese reviews for Vol 17 on Amazon Japan commented how Vol 18's the last. Maybe the ending was so underwhelming that nobody covered it?

Probably you're right!

Anyway i'm checking every week these links to find out something about this 18th volume:

http://www.kadokawa.co.jp/ace/comic/
http://www.kadokawa.co.jp/comic/series_24.html
http://www.kadokawa.co.jp/eva/books/

EDIT: In Italy Shinji Ikari Raising Project #16 will be out in December 2015. We're reaching Japanese edition...
Still no news from Japan about tankobon #18...

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:27 pm

When does Kyoko debut in this series? I've always wanted to see SIRP's take on her but I'm not sure where to look.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:35 pm

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:When does Kyoko debut in this series? I've always wanted to see SIRP's take on her but I'm not sure where to look.

I think it was vol 1 if memory serves me correct. I also think her character is not much more than, I sleep a lot/I'm never around.

Like others here I really enjoyed the first 4-5 vols, but after that, holllllllllllllly shit did it start to suck. Any attempts at a plot or comedy are replaced with, well, just falling over. It was always apart of it, but it really went overboard as the writer must have just given up, got lazy, and just focused on cashing checks..... Which was always the main point of this manga I guess.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Re: [Manga] Shinji Ikari Raising Project

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:09 am

I'm still somewhat curious on Vol 18 overall and whether or not it's a "non ending". I'd assume as much, but if Shinji actually goes out with whoever, that'd be surprising sudden progress! :lol:

Just think, it could've been a cute story of him dating whichever character so many volumes back and funny related misadventures :(

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”