Evangelion ANIMA (general)

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:38 pm

lol u gais gunna r-gu ober "perspective". lol

The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:24 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:(and aren't Mari and all but one of the Rei clones well into puberty?).

If you were following the discussion you'd know that there's apparently a special relation between Rei Six (the "loli" one) and Anima's Mari, also they have the same age; from the Japanese wiki, translated by symbv:
MARI
EVA pilot from Nerv USA. A girl who is at the same age as Rei No. Six.
She was created by US from merger of various animal genes and she has cat's ears (nekomimi) under her headset (she still has human ears too). Occasionally she shows inexplicable behavior like saying she is together with a group of creatures that are merged together. Rei No Six, who loves animals, commented "I envy her."
She has the same name as Mari Illustrious Makinami from Evangelion New Movie Edition 2.22 and her illustration also looks like a young Mari from NME, but it is not clear whether the two are related.

Anyway you were the one that said I HAVE NO TASTE, and started making it personal, dude. I just "meh-ed" with that emoticon because I disagreed.
Last edited by Hyper Shinchan on Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:39 pm

View Original PostStryker wrote:On-topic: It's strange how they made Mari significantly younger in Anima. I wonder why. I hope I'm not the only one who would've found it more interesting if she were older.

I think Rei VI is kinda interesting (adult mindset, child body), but I'm not sure how much can really be done with it in an Eva setting. Even in Japan it strikes me as a bad idea to explore romantic pursuits with such a character, and when you drag Mari into it it's just a mess. I guess you can get away with it in a novel (no way it'd fly on TV, or I'm guessing even in manga), but still the squick factor seems like it'd be a bad way to go.

Is there more to it? I know that even official artwork often has nothing to do with the story (as we've seen repeatedly with NGE), so I'm curious to know what's actually being done here.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:00 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Is there more to it? I know that even official artwork often has nothing to do with the story (as we've seen repeatedly with NGE), so I'm curious to know what's actually being done here.

I don't know more about it but indeed you're right about this point, I've already mentioned it some time ago, I'm not sure that the illustrations (always) reflect events of the novel.

Well, that said I never understood the "squick factor", since we're just talking about fictional works.

View Original PostStryker wrote:On-topic: It's strange how they made Mari significantly younger in Anima. I wonder why. I hope I'm not the only one who would've found it more interesting if she were older.

Personally I find her interesting even in this version. Maybe it could be related to the fact that we (and maybe even Yamashita) know little about Mari while Yamashita has to tell us something about his Mari, so he just inserted a character that vaguely reminds her (for whatever reason, we know nothing about her role in Anima).
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:50 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Let me be clear here: I do not mind criticism, but I do deplore the use of language. To me words like "retarded" is offensive which is used to laugh at people who are unfortunate to suffer lower intelligence than us. "Shit" and "crap" you use it to swear and insult. These are NOT criticism, just a show of lack of respect or intense negative emotion.

you know, I guess it now makes sense to me you react so notably to some of my snarkier posts....I guess I did know on some level but I didn't take it that seriously, being so desensitized on internet that it's hard for me to imagine people NOT being desensitized to this kind of stuff...

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:So astonishingly tasteless. This is not Eva. This is not Eva at all. When the ten year old girls touch mons to mons and smile pretty for the camera, you've got major problems Japan. You should be ashamed of yourself, Yamashita.

Eva has been whorehouse franchise of fetishism, otaku pandering and general low browness for 10+ years that has kept itself relevant in the years between original and Rebuild mostly through endless stream of female figures with various degrees of suggestivity.

"This is not Eva" is baseless claim. I don't remember any blatant loliservice from Eva before but it doesn't really mean much these days anymore, for the otaku scene in general or Eva specifically. It's more like "what took them so long"

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:15 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:28 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:I have a hard time being positive when I read some reactions, especially since it's not big news that he doesn't like it, he could simply ignore it and move on (I don't spend my time saying that I hate Retake or I dislike Asuka in NGE on every single chance).

You hate Re-Take? I must thank you for holding back from dropping in the Re-Take thread to whine and thrash the work but let us have our fun discussing the finer plot details of it (and how much I love it :p )

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:Restricting is pretty much the same as banning, since they won't be able to sell their works to minors. Anyway the law is quite generic, as far as I know, it's also possible that the effects will be quite limited over time.

Well, the restriction only means a ban to a limited group - minors, and so far 6 manga (out of hundreds of thousands of titles) were affected and I have yet to hear an anime title was named. Stryker's post made it look like a much more general ban is in place for manga and anime.

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:Thanks a lot for your efforts, symbv. I suppose that "Armaranth" should be "Armaros", or am I wrong? I wonder what is the "flicker of hope" that it's mentioned...

Is it "Armaros"? I have not checked my previous translation and only relied on my gut feeling (apparently wrong).

I think the "flicker of hope" is just the hope held in Shinji that he, and the rest of Nerv, will be able to beat back the threat from Armaros. Something internal, not a hope from an external source.

EDIT: I see why you got the confusion, because of my typos!!
It should not be "Even so, Shinji does not use his flicker of hope." but should be "Even so, Shinji does not lose his flicker of hope."

View Original PostBagheera wrote:I think Rei VI is kinda interesting (adult mindset, child body), but I'm not sure how much can really be done with it in an Eva setting. Even in Japan it strikes me as a bad idea to explore romantic pursuits with such a character, and when you drag Mari into it it's just a mess.

Where is romantic pursuit with Rei Six? Or Mari?

View Original PostXard wrote:you know, I guess it now makes sense to me you react so notably to some of my snarkier posts....I guess I did know on some level but I didn't take it that seriously, being so desensitized on internet that it's hard for me to imagine people NOT being desensitized to this kind of stuff...

I had been exposed to foul languages since very young because of the neighborhood where I grew up as kid, and I never failed to notice how much the use of it only cheapened the meaning and drained the contents of quality. Conventional thinking may have me long desensitized with such languages but on the contrary, when I became the object of foul languages when I was teenager (and later racist remark when I lived overseas) I became sharply aware that I MUST NOT LET MYSELF BE DESENSITIZED BY FOUL OR DEROGATORY LANGUAGES. I carried my keen sense of aversion to such languages into the Internet, PRECISELY because we are voicing our opinions without the benefit of seeing each other. A lot of other visual and vocal cues to mitigate the sense of ridicule or irony will have been lost, and it is so easy to offend someone EVEN IF you are making an apparently innocuous ironic remark that is supposed to be a joke - and then imagine how it would be like if you actually use offensive or derogatory languages... I have seen so many flame wars (and even participated or caused some because of my insensitivity then) in my more than 20 years of using Internet and many were caused by people who were not really that far apart but who did not give thorough thought in their use of language before they posted. It is very sad that nobody now talks about "Netiquette" any more (seems to have become a dead word) even though many people did not pay much attention to it 20 years ago.

Anyway, enough of my rant, tl;dr to me the use of derogatory words (or simplistic categorical negativity like "this show is stupid crap") automatically opens the poster to some serious questions from other people. As I said before 1) anime is for entertainment and fun, not for hate or thrashing; if you want to criticize, please do it properly and sensitively 2) I hope to have fun (and perhaps learn something) participating in a forum like this one, not to go into shouting matches and heated arguments filled with negative emotions.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:25 pm

It's definitely Armaros (アルマロス). "Amaranth" refers to several species of plant (and a dye). :tongue:

While I agree with symbv's sentiments about increasing the standard for Internet civility, I thought the illustration deserved every bit of the chastising that Seele gave it.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:41 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:You hate Re-Take? I must thank you for holding back from dropping in the Re-Take thread to whine and thrash the work but let us have our fun discussing the finer plot details of it (and how much I love it :p )

Yeah, I hate it, it's only logical considering that my two favourite characters are massacred in that doujin (Rei and Kaworu), I've never liked at all the A/S pairing and the doujin itself is simply weird and uninteresting from my point of view; yet I can understand that someone else could like it and I see no point in annoying them with my rant, actually I don't even want to rant about it, I prefer to focus on things that I like rather than focusing on things that I dislike (but that's the exception on the internet in general and EGF in particular, judging by this thread, the Rebuild hate, the manga hate and so on...).
View Original Postsymbv wrote:Well, the restriction only means a ban to a limited group - minors, and so far 6 manga (out of hundreds of thousands of titles) were affected and I have yet to hear an anime title was named. Stryker's post made it look like a much more general ban is in place for manga and anime.

Well, I suppose that minors are an important target, but just as you've said, it doesn't look like there were the catastrophic consequences that we were expecting, until now.
View Original Postsymbv wrote:I think the "flicker of hope" is just the hope held in Shinji that he, and the rest of Nerv, will be able to beat back the threat from Armaros. Something internal, not a hope from an external source.

EDIT: I see why you got the confusion, because of my typos!!
It should not be "Even so, Shinji does not use his flicker of hope." but should be "Even so, Shinji does not lose his flicker of hope."

Thanks for the correction, now it definitely makes sense.
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:37 am

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:My 'hatred' of this story's lack of faithfulness to Eva has nothing to do with my reaction to a lolicon image. My recent comments were purely about the image. And when even the shameless psuedo-pedo lolicons among you who lap up whatever tasteless pandering is ever offered say things like "I don't remember any blatant loliservice from Eva before" then yes, I am very much within my right and reason to say that "This is not Eva." Just because the industry around them continues to degrade and debase itself and everyone associated with it doesn't mean Eva has to. And it certainly doesn't mean the rest of us have to sit quiet about it.

woah that's pretty harsh :hahaha: :hahaha:

Note that I said "I don't remember", not that there hasn't been. I'm familiar with only fraction of official eva material after all. You're missing the point (and accusing me of being "shameless pseudo-pedo lolicon" despite that I don't find the picture tiltillating in the least lolwut) which was not "you should not dislike this". My point was that it's awfully silly to point at some official material and scream "this is not loyal to Eva". If Evangelion franchise has ever had even slightest amount of artistic integrity that was around the time Anno made End of Evangelion. Before and after there's been none. Evangelion ANIMA is pretty interesting and no more "unloyal" to Eva than other stuff to come out of the franchise.

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:Have fun with the pedo pervert pride, though. I'm sure it's the next great battle in civil rights and the quest for acceptance. 9_9

y'know, had I written this I'd be already getting warnings :hohum:

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:32 am

:facepalm:

Back to topic, please. Much of the drama should be pruned out of this thread.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:59 am

*discovered this thread because I like reading locked tangents in the Trash Bin*

You know, out of curiosity I Googled "Evangelion Anima Pedophilia" then "Evangelion Anima Lolicon". I was only able to come up with these relatively SFW images, even with Safe Search off:

Eerily SFW Images  SPOILER: Show

The second of which is a smaller version of official Manga art-work illustrated by Sadamoto that some weird fan-person merely captioned.

The worse you might be able to construe from the Anima image is that the girls are doing their first rehearsal of Priscilla, Priscilla, Open Up the Door, and neither of them have realized yet that Rei should be laying with her head behind Mari instead her head facing Mari, which is adorable anyway!

And now every time you see that image you will imagine the girls calling out "Priscilla! Priscilla! Open up the door!" Go ahead, try it!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:20 pm

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:Back to topic, please. Much of the drama should be pruned out of this thread.

Oy oy, no backseat modding!
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:20 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Oy oy, no backseat modding!

Offtopic: because I also work as a mod for a MMOG company's forums, and have to deal with an membership base that's just as good as an average kindergarten, hence my inner mod gets ticked off.

I don't like this topic being derailed. :| Screws up the translation efforts.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:48 am

With Symbv's departure I suspect those efforts will be few and far between going forward.

@Xard: I think there's a difference between the actual NGE franchise, the official works produced therefrom, and the industry as a whole. The actual anime is highly respectable (test suit notwithstanding). When Seele says "this is not Eva" that is undoubtedly the standard she is using. But even if you go with official artwork Anima's offerings are still all over the map. Some of it is up to Eva's standards, some of it is mediocre, and some of it is awfully tasteless. I wish there was more consistency to it.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:20 pm

August pic:
SPOILER: Show

Fascinating.

September pic, big tittied Yamashita Rei was the page after Utatane's DFC Rei and Mari. So as you can see the fetishes are perfectly balanced.

Also pew pew pew

No complete Aug/Sept raws because laaaaaaaazy
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:48 am

"Azumaterasu longbow"? It looks like it's a new addition, or am I wrong? I wouldn't be surprised if I'm wrong, but it's not mentioned in the Japanese wiki.
Anyway, thanks a lot for the scans.
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:44 pm

========================YE OLDE POSTE========================

As far as being illustrated yes this is something new. Whether it was mentioned in the text before, noone will ever know.

=========================LE NEW POST=========================

October chara page

Thank god she's covering herself up.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

pen-pen
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby pen-pen » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:41 am

September pic, big tittied Yamashita Rei was the page after Utatane's DFC Rei and Mari. So as you can see the fetishes are perfectly balanced.

My oh my... Rei have really 'grown'......
BOOMZ!

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:15 am

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”